Let's keep going in 2021! One Week at a time beginning 26th January 2021

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Don’t go quiet on us now !! Let’s keep going ! Noone can do it for us and we owe to to ourselves to get through these tough times and emerge as healthy as we can be . If January hasn’t been the best, move on, February is beckoning, Spring is on its way and we are not going to give up now !

Looking forward to hearing how you are getting on and to welcome any new members

wendleg, SunnyB and sunshinegirl

• posted by wendleg
    on

The latest list !! Looking forward to hearing how you are all getting on xx
    wendleg, Sunny B, sunshine girl
    JGwen
    sixturkeys
    Starina
    Verano
    ADD6605 ( Dawn)
    Riccoh
    Russianroulade
    Tulip1 ( Clare)
    Mifoz
    MerryMelba
    Maryanne Carlos-Mascarenhas
    WindyJulz
    articfox
    Olive1
    lauraknits
    Marsie (Marilyn)
    EllieAllegra
    EC:Erin
    Hello66
    Jordana
    Alipetunia/Alison
    RubyG and hubby
    Ditchedthemet
    Dizzychicken
    SlinkyTinks
    LonelyAdipose
    Emzijw
    Barefoot girl
    Life Diet
    allicat1A ( Allie, formerly alliecat !)
    RedRooster
    nhatha3432
    sprox
    skittle
    Daisybean

• posted by Tulip1
    on

I’m ready on time this week Wendy- thank you for starting a new week ☺

Yesterday I started re-reading the BSD book- to refresh the details in my mind and reinforce the reasons I am doing it for.

Like most weekends, I weighed a bit heavier on Monday than I did on Friday but hope to get it down by being really good during the week.

Love to all,
    Tulip1 xx

• posted by Riccoh
    on

Not a good week for me. I’ve had some stresses to deal with and some sleepless nights so comfort eating was way up. I’m hopeful I can make a new start today. Up until now I had maintained what I lost last year but my weight is now creeping up.Time for action. Who else eats when they are stressed and tired? I thought I had my eating under control. Something I need to work on. I used to meditate. Perhaps this is what I need again.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Can hardly believe we’re at the start of a new week and embarking on a new weekly thread. Hopefully we will all be travelling along together, to support and encourage each other to achieve our goals.

I begin this week with a small discard from last week, but happy to own that and use it as a spring board to another decrease in weight over this week.

Remember, it doesn’t matter how many times we fall, what matters is how many times we get back up, so if last week didn’t go too well, we’re right here to help dust you down. Have a good week everyone.

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Hi all and thanks Wendy for starting another thread. It really is fab that you keep us going each week.

As predicted the weight loss is slowing, but crucially it is still going. As of this morning I am starting week 4 with 16 pounds down. I have set myself mini goals of 3 pounds loss per week between now and week eight. I will then consider if I will do another 4 weeks.

Overall I am beginning to see the weight loss on my body, which is great. Crucially I really feel like I have kicked the carbs and although I’m eating less, I definitely feel full and now rarely feel hungry at all.

Riccoh I hear you, I am and always have been an emotional eater. It is so hard, but I’m trying to shift my mindset. I keep alcohol free lagers in the fridge (only 66 cals) and treat myself to one of those when I feel like I want an emotional response to a situation. Better than having a glass of wine and a whole bag of crisps.

Anyway this is our last week of January, so let’s push things forward. Come on guys we have got this.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Thanks Wendy, Sunny and Sunshine for getting us off on a new week.
    I’m on board to stay on plan this week. I am adding a daily nectarine to my meals – and counting it! My young nectarine has had it’s first crop. I have always wanted a nectarine tree, but only got around to planting one a couple of years ago. So a delicious, mindfully eaten nectarine is my late morning meal. My summer garden has also given me a load of tomatoes, so they are going into salads etc.
    Hi Riccoh – JGwen posted this interesting article on comfort eating which we all do – and find hard to stop. https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/take-a-look-at-this/page/17/#post-132499
    Great going with the discards and body changes and reducing carb cravings. 🌻🌻🌻 Happy reading Tulip! Re-discovering our WHY can help us re-focus.🍀🍀

• posted by Alipetunia
    on

Hi everyone.
    Thank you for the new thread, and also thank you to everyone who posted with encouragement, reading suggestions and responses to my posts. It really helps :).
    I’m happy to say that I’ve just completed 8 weeks on fast 800 and have lost 8 kg (17 pounds). I’ve also reached my mini goal of seeing a “7” on the scales, weighing in at 79.7. Whilst I still have 20 kgs to lose, I am so thrilled to have stuck at this for 8 weeks, and to feel confident that I can keep going.
    Wishing everyone all the best in reaching their goals x

• posted by SlinkyTinks
    on

Thank you so much for rounding us up another week. I’m still very much here, though trepidation seeps as I stare down the barrel of the infamous Week 3…
    On a very positive note: I’m down to 76.7kgs, under 80kgs for the first time in years. An enormous milestone for me, and one that’s helping to spur me onwards.
    This week has already been more difficult. I’ve noticed that, while the first two weeks my hunger was quiet, I’ve started to have an abundance of cravings. I’ve seen a great deal of improvement, but I appreciate that this won’t be replicated from this week forward.
    Trying to shake things up on the meal plan front because I’m incredibly sick of Turkish salads! Still snacking on my cherries and pistachios. Dreaming of the days I can ease off the restrictions (in moderation, of course).
    This may be make or break, so I know in my heart that I must persist, though the sheen is wearing off… I’m still unsure how long I’ll maintain the fast. I’ve another 6-8kgs to go, so I may be one week shy of halfway.
    Mind over matter is my mantra…
    Much love to all on this journey. We are stronger in every way for it. X

• posted by skittle
    on

Hi everyone
    Happy new week to all and thank you Wendleg for keeping us all going. The kindness and sterling support here is invaluable.
    So, results so far:
    Week 1: 3.3kg
    Week 2: 0.7kg
    Week 3: 2kg

Hopefully that gives some optimism to those going through a randomly low discard! Keep the faith, it IS happening.

So total 6kg in 3 weeks, not quite the fabled stone, but near enough. Target stage 1 is 10kg off. Target stage 2 is another 5kg after that, so total 15kg to get me back to where I was in 2019.
    Can’t see or feel any difference yet as I am very tall and have to lose well over a stone to show or feel anything. Keep forcing myself to be proud of 6kg off. It has taken iron discipline, NOT my preferred M.O. Going from one extreme (Christmas sugar binge following 10 month comfort eating extravaganza) to another was quite a swing. I do well under 20g carbs a day.

Like some others I am feeling the slog of it. It is very hard to forego what feels like all treats when things are cold, dark, plague-ridden and locked down. I am a hedonist and a comfort eater. Saying no to hot chocolate in the snow, wine to celebrate a success, the delicious biscuits my husband made with our daughter… It does feel like so much no, no, no, it’s so tedious. It’s a real exercise in mental discipline to keep telling myself the “treat” is going to be getting back in my clothes, feeling happy in myself. It’s one long marshmallow experiment (saying no to one now for two later). It is not my natural state and takes a lot of consistent effort.

But I’m proud of myself because I have also managed 3 weeks of meditating every day, a personal record, and it is helping me be so much calmer and more positive. Even in the face of some significant stresses. I was in a bad place at the end of 2020, so anxious I was considering medication. Quitting booze/sugar and meditating every day has been transformative. I will not forgo a beautiful glass of red wine forever, but I will find a better balance with it.

I would love another 2kg loss this week but realistically it may well slow down. Will keep on keeping on.

Love to all, congratulations on the discards and if you are feeling blue, YOU CAN DO IT!

• posted by sprox
    on

Hi & thanks for including me in this week’s round up 🙂
    I’m 10 days in and from today, I’ll be logging what my new scales say. I didn’t record my starting weight so am unaware of the discard in week 1.
    103.6 kg
    My goal is 70kg, so 33.6kg to go.
    I’ve been using MFP to track calories & macros, so far so good.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thanks for the new thread and including hubby and I 🙂
    Like many others on here, I’m struggling a bit, in many ways I guess, food being just one.
    We have both done well on the first 8 weeks prior to Christmas, January started a bit slowly but has generally gone well, but I know we ate too much over the weekend and the portion sizes have been creeping up again, together with the odd extra, like a piece of cheese, one square of dark chocolate, etc.
    I know what we need to do, I just need to find that motivation and do it!
    But I’m still here, drawing inspiration from everyone else on here, and can only keep on keeping on, ODAAT 🙂

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, great to see people doing as well as possible in these dark cold days (except for Oz of course – happy Australia Day) and at least hanging in here through whatever gets thrown at us. As Wendy says, Spring is just around the corner – I ike to watch my clock in the afternoon to see how much later it is getting dark. I could simply go onto the meteo website (weather forecast) and check the sunset time but need something to do….

Alipetunia, well done on completing the 8 weeks and with such great results.
    Skittle, really good losses in your first 3 weeks and good for you on not letting the slowdown derail you after week 2. It happens but you can now see that it is just a blip. Dont forget the stone in 3 weeks people had a whole TV production behind them to get them there and some of them didnt make it either. It took me the full 8 weeks to lose 13lbs.
    Sprox keep doing what you have been, the scales are only one indication of how we are doing. Daughter wants me to buy a fancy set that will connect to the phone she bought me last year and the fitbit she got me for christmas. I object as my phone and wrist are taking over my life 🙂

Had a further small loss and keeping within my goal for Easter but it is my birthday in just under 2 weeks and I want to have a little treat day – not cheat day, there is no such thing as cheating. Besides the weight loss I am more concentrated on getting my BG (blood glucose) down and since Xmas I have been steadily having to reduce my insulin so I am well pleased.

Have a good week everyone and keep on keeping on…

• posted by Tulip1
    on

well done everyone for keeping going!!
    Who here drinks whole milk? I haven’t switched to it from SS as yet because of the extra cals but I do have full fat yoghurt, butter, oil etc. Just wondering what everyones’ thoughts are?
    Tulip1 xx

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hi Tulip, I buy whole milk and use it to make milk kefir, yoghurt etc and sometimes hot milk with cocoa powder or just drink it as is. We both drink black coffee and hubby drinks black or herbal tea. I much prefer the taste of whole milk.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi Wendy, Sunshine-girl and Tulip1. All the best for your goals.

My goal has been to reduce my tummy, and the good news is that in the past three weeks my waist has gone from 99cm to 95cm. Weight is still 85kg but I hope that’s more muscle as my online Pilates class is like torture 😉

I have been cutting down on potatoes and bread, and not eating after 5pm. Seems to suit my routine.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Lovely to see you all checking in . The struggles are very real and if you feel your motivation is lacking, well that’s normal I would say in these stressful times . Just remember that it isn’t food that will make you feel better ultimately . Things WILL get better, the sun will be shining on us , everything will be brighter , we just have to dig in and believe .
    I think if you are missing comforting treats, there are a few options . You could look at keto recipes for cookies, cakes, pancakes etc which use nut flours and artificial sweeteners . The danger is that they keep the sugar demons active and risk an insulin spike, and then where do you stop ? You could try comforting hot drinks made with nut milks and some raw cacao . A square of very dark choc does it for me . Skittle, you have seen how much better you feel after quitting sugar . That is a massive victory ! You are regaining control .
    If you are bored with the foods, keep searching for different recipes . There are hundreds online . Not just the Fast 800 recipes . The book I have been using is Squeaky Clean Keto by Mellissa Sevigny because the recipes have no dairy or nuts . I am eating nuts again , just not in huge quantities . I actually don’t feel the appeal of cream now as I love my hemp milk . Tulip/Clare I would say whole milk if you have to choose just because it tastes so much better (I loved my yoghurts with it) I weaned myself off milk in tea years ago . I only use the hemp milk in a morning cappuccino . Now that is a comforting drink ! ( 2/3 cups of hemp hearts blended with 4 cups of water and strained through a muslin or nut milk bag, job done !)
    The message as sunshine girl/Denise has said is just to keep going whether you have just a few pounds/kilos to discard or a significant amount . Don’t get despondent if things slow down or you think you can’t see any difference . There is a lot of healing going on inside your body. You WILL see and feel a difference . Don’t take a chance with your health and undo any good work . Covid is brutal and we are going to beat it , but not by eating buns 😉

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi good to see you Patricia ! Don’t forget you are tall so those kilos are well spread out . Well done on the waist shrinkage . I definitely have a defined waist now but would love to blast off some belly fat too . I am hoping my Pilates sessions will help with that too . Yours sound more advanced than mine . Full turn out is 5 women and the instructor on Zoom . I think if it got too harsh noone would turn up 😉

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Thanks Ladies- I guess I commonly have 150ml of milk spread over 3 coffees each morning, plus porridge once a week. I guess if I’m maintaining it’s fine but say I am on an 800 day it might make quite a difference? x

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Lovely to hear from you Wendy. Our teacher has four levels in the exercises, I’m on level 1. It’s certainly a strong work out however fit we are.

Hemp hearts are totally unknown to me, though I saw them in Sainsbury’s – what a great zero carb and vegan food! I saw a recipe for creamy carbonara sauce made with hemp hearts. A Smoothie could be tasty too.

Hemp hearts are nutrient dense packed full of iron, magnesium, B vitamins, vitamin D, E, and zinc. And they are the only vegan food with the same Omega 3:6 ratio as fish oil (the body’s ideal omega ratio). They have all 20 amino acids, including each of the 9 essential amino acids.

• posted by RedRooster
    on

Hi All, a really good third week for me, I’ve dropped just short of 10kg over the 3 weeks (and a day) which is great but most importantly bloods regularly less than 5 mmol which is my key driver. Have even brought some new clothes a size down which are fitting. I have my next annual review a week today so hopefully will be enough to improve the longer term result they measure. I’ve developed a few new recipes and found some good low calorie options that are keeping me on plan.

• posted by skittle
    on

“Covid is brutal and we are going to beat it , but not by eating buns.” LOL! That’s genius. Might put it on my desk to remind me. 🙂

Excellent advice and thank you wendleg and sunshine girl – agree on nut milk and cacao. Am now going to investigate hemp hearts!

• posted by Workingfromthefridge
    on

Joining forum for first time as hoping for some encouragement. Started In new year and so far still dry and on 800 cals a day (except the road trip day with a Byron burger!). Have lost 5kg but metabolism not as sprightly as it was after 50. I work from home in kitchen and vicariously eat all day as teen kids constantly in fridge. Feel like it’s going ok but feel like losing mojo a bit. I want to continue in Feb and do full eight weeks. I love cooking and live off 800 recipes. What are your faves for minimum calories/ maximum fullness? And any inspirational help in these dull days? Sunshinegirl it is encouraging to see that not everyone drops the weight at pace. I feel like after first week it has been agonisingly slow – certainly not like on the telly!

on

Like so many people life is just the same old same old. Not much to talk about and just waiting for the world to open up again. I found it heartbreaking to watch the UK news last night and must say I shed a few tears. Happily we dont know anyone who has had the virus except just found out our doctor and all his family have had it. They are young and have made full recoveries so some good news in all this s$$t.

Workingfromthefridge – did you read my comments about the TV lot. Would you lose the weight if you had the eyes of the viewing world watching you. My daughter who is 42, did the 3 week plan and lost 13lbs in that time but she stopped straight after and has gained most of it back. Some of us here have been at it for years but that doesnt mean it doesnt work. In fact it is the opposite. I stay on this diet as it has become a way of life but in my case for my diabetes and wellness rather than being too concerned about my weight although…. see below. Obviously I am not strict 100% of the time but I have never gone back to eating white carbs. Besides times like Christmas when I have a small gain after plenty of wine etc (still no carbs) it is so reassuring to know I can get back to the 800 cals and drop a few pounds in a few weeks. Only 1/4 lb from my pre-Christmas weight this morning. You go at your pace and dont compare yourself to others. Stick with it strictly for the first 8 or 12 weeks and make it enjoyable so you can do it, then reassess.

Had a bit of a drop in weight which has spurred me on (nearly 2lbs in 2 days) as it is hard for me to lose having been on the plan for several years now. I guess I am on maintenance but not having reached my final goal it is nice to lose a bit more to look a bit better for those new clothes I am definitely planning to buy – everything else is fraying, fading or just literally falling apart. It is my birthday on the 7th and I am planning on getting some stuff, just jeans and tops, nothing special. But I had better get out there this week as we look like we are going back into a full lockdown soon.

Just popped back to answer Tulip1 on the milk issue. As people have said, nothing wrong with good old full fat milk, just count the extra calories. However, i developed an intolerance to all dairy (diabetic stomach which comes and goes) so didnt have any cows milk for a couple of years. Hubby always has semi-skimmed but in the light on this diet and now back to eating full fat and butter etc he decided to go back to full fat milk and it gave him diarrhea. So we are back on semi skimmed of which I only have one coffee per day and only drink green tea and water for the rest of my fluids.

Dont forget to keep on keeping on…

• posted by Bombalone
    on

Hello I started 11 days ago after lifelong battle with weight. Have done every diet under the sun including Keto, Very Low Calorie and Intermittent fasting of all kinds. Found myself in a place where I literally didn’t know what I had to do to lose weight. Along comes this – a combo of all three of those approaches – and finally, finally, the weight is slowly coming off. I am using microscopic discipline to macros etc. and keeping my carbs below 20g per day and 10g per meal (2 meals a day in 6-8hr window). It’s working. It’s hard, but to finally see the numbers change makes it worth it. So completely soul destroying to work so hard on other diets and see no change or even gain. So, here are the numbers so far:
    Starting weight 81.5 kg (50 year old woman)
    Today, 11 days in 77.9 kg
    Total lost to date: 3.6kg or approx 8lbs
    I don’t remember when I last got below 80 kgs!
    Target weight: 60kg
    (Lost 2 stone last year to get to the 81kg, doing the opposite of this – high carb low oil vegan diet – then it stopped working)
    Good luck everyone

• posted by wendleg
    on

Welcome Workingfromthe fridge !
    I have no idea what a Byron burger is ?? All the best to you . Indeed, we all discard weight at different paces and that’s Ok . I know that at 62 it is a lot harder than when I was much younger but I messed my system up so much yo yoing all over the place with different diet plans . For a long time I took refuge behind my conviction that menopause prevented me from losing any weight . I was in denial and just kidding myself . This low carb, healthy fats approach is the only one which has worked for me . I think there is an argument for a slowing in metabolism and our bodies becoming comfortable with a particular weight but it is possible to break through it .

JGwen may be able to better explain the science behind metabolism and age .

Hi Bombalone and welcome ! Don’t look backward with regret, look forward with positivity and optimism ! You are here now and things are going well . It doesn’t matter how long it takes, you are embarking on a long term programme not a quick fix . You are going to feel so much better, and hopefully at peace with the infernal diet cycles.

• posted by wendleg
    on

SG/ Denise
    Yes, lockdown in France seems to be creeping closer . i am keeping a close eye on the news . Glad I got a vigorous hair cut last week 😉
    Treat yourself to some new clobber !! To be honest I have no desire to go round the shops and I am drawn to preloved (often brand new) items on Vinted which just means one trip to pick up a parcel but you have to take care to choose trusted brands to be sure something will fit. Well done on your discard by the way and sorry you felt tearful watching the UK news. I know what you mean.

I have joined a couple of online book clubs and I am enjoying the recommendations, especially for some uplifting , quality writing which we need right now .
    PS Denise . According to Météo France, it’s going to be 16 degrees in our neck of he woods tomorrow afternoon !!

on

Wendy, a couple of my favourite shops have sales on – Camaieu has jeans for €9.99 reduced from €20, so 50% right now. Also Kiabi, I could do with some pjs. I could order on line and just pick them up but I prefer to try on before buying. Also not sure if I have gone down a size :):)

• posted by wendleg
    on

Get out to the shops and treat yourself SG/ Denise !!!

on

Help!! It’s week 4 day 3 and I have hit an absolute wall. I’m craving carbs like you would t believe. Had a chocolate covered rice cake earlier, but otherwise have resisted temptation and am still on plan. All I want is a baked potato or a burger in a bun. How do you beat the cravings guys? Don’t say go for a walk as it is terrible weather here.

• posted by RubyG
    on

It’s funny how I have no interest in buying clothes when I am/was at my heaviest, but as soon as I start to feel more comfortable in my body and able to fit into “normal” clothes, they interest me again.
    For too many years I bought clothes based on what was available in my size, whether I particularly liked something or not. Currently I am clothes-shopping in my loft 🙂 and fitting into clothes from a few years back (I was optimistic……) – there are a few tops and pairs of cargo trousers (summer weight) and linen trousers that are still a bit snug and may cause a hernia if I bend over, but I too am aiming to emerge in the spring from my chrysalis.
    SG, depending on how easy the returns process is, you could order 2 sizes online and send back the one that doesn’t fit (if it’s the larger one) or keep the smaller pair as a goal 🙂

• posted by wendleg
    on

RussianRoulade …. breathe ! You are stronger than those cravings . Don’t let them control you . The rice cake will have got the little monsters begging for more . … don’t feed them.
    BUNS ARE OUT !! Eat the burger bit . Drink a big glass of water, keep breathing .
    You might get a quick hit if you eat the carbs but you are going to feel so yukky afterwards and down on yourself

BREATHE, DRINK WATER and think of WHY you are doing this

• posted by RubyG
    on

Step away from the carbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Easy for me to say, I’ve had a crappy few days recently, only really had a good day yesterday, and today, so far, is OK.
    Is there anything you can do for distraction, or as a treat? A bubble bath with candles, a really nice cup of ground coffee, ditch the responsibilities and read a chapter of a book (I always have a book on the go), or something mindless like sorting the drawer of doom or cupboard of chaos?
    I found what worked for me some days was dragging out clothes which had been too small or too tight or whatever – the motivation of getting closer to them fitting helped me and took enough time for the craving to pass.
    You can do this!

on

Thanks RubyG, it doesnt work like that here in France. You look on the website and you can ask them to deliver to your nearest store – as many sizes you want. You still have to go to the store to try on / pick up but with no obligation to buy if you dont like or they dont fit. The problem right now is we are in the 2nd week of sales so it is more like take it or leave it and as I would have to go to the store anyway I might as well have a bit of a browse. Oh to be in England and ordering from some of the high end websites. When they do deliveries here it is usually to a depot. In my case the nearest is a local couturier (dressmakers) in a small town but she is now closed a lot of the time so would have to keep popping round to see when she is open. I have shopped during this time and they made it very safe trying on clothes and not putting them back on the racks – had to be left hanging in a safe room for 24 hours so I dont mind going. It will be a trip out for a change.

• posted by RedRooster
    on

Hi Russianroulade,
    I have burgers every week all within the plan, I use cloud bread which I batch made and froze, bang a couple of slices around a lower cal burger, all within my 400cal allowance from my evening meal

• posted by LonelyAdipose
    on

I’ve been thinking about it for a couple days now… I don’t think I just overeater, I think I am actually a food addict. You know signs of addiction include hiding or lying about your problem and stealing or sacrificing to feed your addiction. I am guilty of this.

I know my issues with food worsened because of my husband’s negative view about my weight. I felt like he was unreasonable or cruel, so I had to eat in secret or lie when I had a sweet or buy food for my cravings on the sly, all because of his attitude.

But as I thought about it the past few days, his attitude isn’t really the issue. I can’t change him or his overwhelming desire for a skinny wife… But it’s really my attitude and perspective that needs to change.

I won’t be able to achieve MY goals or improve MY health without first correcting MY mindset. I don’t need food to be happy, to calm my nerves, to ease my heartache, to cure my boredom, or to bond with my daughter. Food is meant to help me stay alive and give me strength to seek out my own happiness, fling of my nervousness courageously, heal my broken heart one crack at a time, explore all the interesting things the world has to offer, and enjoy a loving relationship with my daughter.

That’s how I want to start viewing food. I am addicted to eating, but I want to break free of this terrible habit and start living my life without being chained to my dinner plate.

on

Thanks for your encouragement everyone – will take your advice and stick with it. I also like your ideas of cloud bread and loft shopping. I pulled out a pair of trousers I haven’t been able to wear for years yesterday and they are still too tight – but won’t be in a few kg time. Re shopping – can you order from uk sites like Boden or All Saints (big sale on) or do you then pay duty in France? I am currently hovering at the 83kg mark, having started at 88, and looking forward to getting under 80 in the next few weeks. Menopause definitely a factor in slow progress but as you say – not an excuse to give up. Lonelyadipose im sorry you are facing issues with husband and daughter (and maybe sleep too?) but you are right that if you do this for yourself you will be totally in control of your own wellbeing. Best of luck and I hope that focusing on your own health brings you happiness. I would add that one of the best things for me about the 800 diet (recipe book) is thinking about what you CAN eat and enjoy rather than what you can’t. I love food and really look forward to meals I have planned. Often they are just tweaked for me – so a roast chicken with potatoes etc for the family but I have carrots and cauliflower as sides. I have courgetti instead of spaghetti with bolognese. Easy swaps.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Adipose, thank you for sharing your story so frankly and openly. Hopefully being able to do that here, means that you feel safe with us and I know it will help others who identify with your situation in someway.
    It is credit to you, that you are identifying what you have the power to change and what is not on your control or indeed, is your responsibility.
    That’s not to say it will be an easy thing to do, to make all the changes necessary to achieve your goals, but you have made a great start and by acknowledging the issues as you have, you are certainly stacking the odds of succeeding in your favour..

Workingfromthefridge, it’s tough when for whatever reason, we lose slowly … I’m one of those people myself. What’s important is to resist measuring our achievements, against those of others and accept that our bodies are doing it their way and that we will succeed, even if we don’t reach target as quickly as some. Embrace every little step in the right direction, no matter how small.

on

Hi all, just had lunch then going shopping. If I gave the impression there is a problem shopping here, sorry. Only problem is we are about to go back into full lockdown so need to get out quickly. Since Brexit a lot of online stores wont send to France, even Amazon has its problems unless the supplier is not UK based. There is nothing i cant get here. Anyway I hate online shopping as, I said earlier, I like to try on. Just found 2 pairs of absolutely new jeans in my draw and currently I am wearing 46 but these are 44 and 42. Funnily enough the 42 are closer to fitting than the 44 which just shows the difference between shops. Only upsetting thing is, these actually fit me when I bought them so i have either changed shape or gained more than I thought. I think I bought them only just fitting and now they are only 2 or 3 lbs way. So, because they are sat waiting I will only buy one pair of jeans today and maybe some pjs.

Mask at ready, off I go.

• posted by wendleg
    on

LA , you are very honest and open about your struggles and you are starting to understand what is holding you back . There are resources to help with food addiction but just putting yourself first is an important step in taking back some control . I think you know that planning is paramount so you are not constantly looking for a quick food fix . I am convinced as you say that mindset is key . If you are not ready , if the burdens are too overwhelming then it the pressure of more ‘restrictions’ will be difficult. Think of this as a liberating time, LA . Time for you . Choose and plan the foods you enjoy . Cook with your daughter . Relish your meals because you are hungry rather than reaching for snacks which you hope will soothe you . Don’t panic about the numbers on your scales, trust yourself and give it time .
    If you are ready LA, then we are all here to support you . You are not alone . Keep checking in with us xxx

on

Sunshinegirl that is great inspiration to have two nearly fitting trousers standing by. I think I could make huge savings on clothes by just fitting everything in my wardrobe!

on

Hi everyone, had a very successful shop yesterday. Amazed at how much space they have created in the store, even with a sale on. Bought 1 pair black jeans, 1 jumper and one pair of pjs, so got everything I needed for now. Bought the jeans in the same size as I am in now (46) because, even though the 44 fit they were €20 dearer and in that stone-washed style which looked just as bad as the ones I am about to throw out. If I wanted faded jeans I would just wear my old ones – shows I am getting old. Funnily enough they both fit me exactly the same but the 46 felt more comfortable due to a good amount of lycra. A girl has to have her lycra.

Workingfromthefridge, the 2 pairs I have got are exactly the same size even though one says 44 and one says 42. If you have shopped in different stores you will know what I mean. It is certainly something to aim for by my Easter goal line. 2 new pairs of jeans.

According to the newspapers this is supposed to be the week we are feeling really miserable. I think psychologically it is after all the celebrations or Christmas and New Year, cold, dark, wet, nothing to look forward to and no money as many people get paid early for Christmas so have a long wait for the end of January wages. Doesnt take a genius to work all that out. They forgot to factor in Covid and just say that March, April, May ………. and so on have been miserable. At least we can now look forward to this being over and February brings snowdrops and thoughts of Spring. So lets not be miserable and look forward to better days. Stay safe everyone, we are nearly there.

on

Just been listening to Gardener’s Question Time on Radio 4 and they were all a-twitter that in a few weeks time it won’t get dark until 6pm. There’s something to look forward to! Currently cooking one of my favourite meals – creamy fish bake. Michael M has certainly given me a new love of tarragon. I like it in the fish bake and roast chicken. Four weeks in today so half way and feeling a bit more motivated. Definitely going to continue not drinking for the eight. Feel much more in control without that as temptation. Sunshinegirl your shopping sounds great. But I can’t believe stonewashed is still a thing! Thought it went out a while ago. I am rescuing a pair of Laura Ashley jeans by having rip repaired. I can’t get them any more and they were my fave! (Hence worn out)

• posted by RubyG
    on

The shopping trip sounds successful SG, and I know what Workingfromthefridge means as I hate it when a favourite item of clothing starts falling to bit from over-wearing it.
    The 6pm end of day sounds wonderful, definitely something to look forward to, probably more than most years.
    Have a good weekend everyone 🙂 and keep on keeping on

• posted by Riccoh
    on

Thanks for directing me to JGwen’s article MerryMelba. It’s good to be reminded of all the benefits this way of eating gives us. Not just weight loss.
    I read that Metformin reduces the morbidity rate in Covid-19 cases. I don’t have diabetes but I am a cancer survivor and I was prescribed Metformin as my endcrinologist said it offered some protection against cancer. I was seeing him for thyroid problems. I changed doctors and the new doctor took me off it. I am going to ask my GP to put me back on. I haven’t seen her for a year but I think its probably time for a consultation.
    Congratulations on your first 3 weeks Skittle. I enjoyed reding your post.
    Feeling positive this morning.
    My Mum’s favourite saying was ” nothing is ever as bad as it seems”. My anxiety is starting to ease and there will be no more comfort eating binges!! My anxiety was caused by family problems outside my control. How I handled it was MY problem.

• posted by skittle
    on

Thank you Riccoh 🙂
    “How I handled it was MY problem” – so true. Re meditation I am keeping it up every day for the first time ever. it is having an extraordinary effect.

RussianRoulade -” How do you beat the cravings guys?”
    My failsafes:
    >lots of sparkling water
    >tea – leaves, in a pot, so it’s the whole ritual (I have recently discovered T2 teas/tisanes, they have some wonderful options that satisfy a sweet craving virtuously – I like the Hot Date Delight tea and the Boho Rose tisane)
    >if I want a glass of wine, I have a faux-beer, I like Brewdog Nanny State, it’s also quite filling. Or Wilfred’s bitter orange and rosemary is a spectacular non-alcoholic sub for Aperol/Campari – some of that with sparkling water is delicious.
    >visualisation – this helped me to lose 21kg first time round. I pick a moment I am working towards- last time it was a specific event, this time it’s a moment in time – a summer day on the street outside my new office. I know exactly what I’m going to wear down to the last detail, lipstick, everything. I imagine how I’m going to feel in my clothes, feel the happiness and confidence, I visualise it all in detail. I never get far before the desire for something off plan goes away. Gives my mind something to do and reminds me why I’m doing this.

• posted by PSL68
    on

Hi – just seen the start date but joined today! Way hay!!

on

Welcome PSL68, you can join anytime but dont forget to post on the new thread when it starts each Tuesday (usually set up on Monday evening). As this one will fade away as we start a new week all fresh and determined.

I made a bit of a blooper today as we were wondering around our Saturday market. Not many stalls due to rain but also Covid. We think it will be closed from now on until our forthcoming lockdown (not announced yet) is ended. Anyway, hubby decided to go to the German stall that does English cornish pasties (yes, really) and he was going to get one for lunch today and a couple more for the freezer. The stall wasnt there so he went to the nems lady (Vietnamese spring rolls). So we bought 6 chicken nems, 4 veggie and 3 crab. The crab were now going to be his lunch instead of the pasty and the rest are in the freezer until I decide it is safe – or my birthday next week!!!! Then he remembered he hadnt bought any porridge oats so we did a detour to the supermarket and while we were there he got a baguette to use for breadcrumbs in tonights cassoulet – duck and toulouse sausage in white beans – needs a sprinkle of breadcrumbs and cheese to crisp up the topping. Got back home absolutely starving and, you guessed it, I had a chicken baguette sandwich for lunch. I am very much a savoury girl and having been bombarded with everything he bought (forgot, he also bought 3 pizzas as they were on offer) I just couldnt resist it. I do notice that if I’d had a chicken salad I would be full enough until tea time but on bread I was absolutely starving by 2pm, so only 1.5 hours after lunch. Not had anything else yet and will have to be super strict for the rest of the weekend.
    Hey ho

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi All,
    Well, I’ve hit my birthday goal of losing 42 lbs in my 42nd year! 3 stone down, woop woop, and I can’t thank you guys enough for the support and guidance…3 lbs to get to normal BMI now but will then be a bit further to go to hit recommended waist circumference (3″ to go) and try to hit recommended WHR. Still, I am celebrating each success (last night it was prosecco with the fam 😁😁). I’m going to try and have a sleek week now to get another chunk off.
    I’ve bought some more of Michael’s books now as only read the BSD so far.
    SG, it’s so weird, isn’t it, how a bit of white carbs can mess up your appetite? (well, I know there is science behind it lol).
    Love to all xxxxx

on

So it’s nearly the end of week 4 and I feel like I have really plauteaued. I was craving carbs, so after the rice cake I resisted everything else and have had a few low cal days with no carbs, but still only a pound off this week.
    I certainly wasn’t expecting the rapid weight loss to continue, but I would like to see a discard each week.
    Anyone else have any tips for getting through a plateau. Is this normal for week 4?

Please log in or register to post a reply.