Kidney stones

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Kath10
    on

Hi Thankyou for reading this. I am 2 weeks into the 800 diet and weight is dropping off. I am even exercising again. I was wondering however if the low carb could promote the growth of kidney stones in any way. I live remotely and my doctor does not know so I was wondering if anyone else may have any information. Thanks so much.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Kath, I’ve googled this and from what I can find is that if you don’t go lower than 20g carbs a day and keep WELL hydrated you should be ok. The carb number most people aim for on this diet is about 50g a day. There don’t seem to have been any clinical trials on this subject – just opinions.

The hydration level is very important in this regard so please make sure you drink your 2 to 3 litres of water a day.

I don’t know whether you have a history of kidney stones but if you do just keep yourself well hydrated.

Wishing you the best 🙂

• posted by Kath10
    on

Hi Hashimoto thanks very much for replying. Unfortunately I have a long history of stones and have lost one kidney so am very conscious of my water intake. I have in the last couple of months had surgery to remove one in my remaining kidney and am a little cautious about eating more meat but am really enjoying the results of the diet. Hope your journey goes well.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Kath, I’m sorry to hear that. I don’t know what to advise in your circumstances. I hope someone can help 🙂

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I’m not sure of the answer either but, with regard to you mentioning meat, there is no reason why you need to increase your meat on this diet, there are plenty of vegetarians following the programme successfully. It is not intended to be a high protein diet.

Please log in or register to post a reply.