Ketosis test strips

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by thintony
    on

Does anyone know if this is a thing that will help or not? The 800 diet should put your body into ketoses mode (i.e burning body fat) and these strips apparently can help you confirm and monitor how well your doing.

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

I experienced certain ‘symptoms’ that indicated that I was in ketosis – or fat burning. Sweet taste in mouth, sudden thirst, deeper sleep, more clear mind, inches off the waist and 20 pound loss after 4 weeks. My doc said that indeed I was in ketosis. He said that in the beginning the strips would show that one was in ketosis. But once the brain/body figured out that it was in ketosis it said, “oh boy! I like these ketones, I’m not going to let them go!” So, after a short while, the keto strips will be normal, because the body is using the ketones for brain function and for fat burning. Your choice, but i wouldn’t waste money on them as long as you are staying high fat, moderate protein, and low carb – the blood sugar diet!

• posted by Pat.Unlimited
    on

They’ll give an indication but they won’t ‘help’. It’s very likely this diet will put us into ketosis so you don’t need to monitor that – if you’re sticking to the diet that will be enough to do it. Depending on your health-related issues, just keeping and eye on blood sugar would seem like enough to think about. 🙂

• posted by AndreaG
    on

I like using them – I like the confirmation that even if the scales aren’t moving, my body is still in fat burning mode. I will also start to experiment with how many carbs I can tolerate before I kick out of ketosis. Its all a bit of a distraction to keep me focused, but for the cost (less than a bottle of the wine I’m not drinking!) I can’t see it does any harm. I have done low calorie before and not lost weight, so I think monitoring carbs is important for me.
    Most people don’t seem to use them though, so definitely not a prerequisite.
    Best of luck.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I haven’t got the strips but if they are like I used as a nurse they will have a colour which shows you have gone too far. This is okay in the short term and will only harm you if it continues. Like anything in your body there are safe limits on what we do to ourselves and sometimes people who self monitor can sometimes think more is better ie losing more ketones means losing more weight, which is true but not safe.

The only monitor I use is how much I pee. Very strict on the diet you pee loads, some people even having to get up during the night. As you get used to the diet and weight loss slows down you will pee less but still want to keep it up. Also, you should be drinking loads so that increases urine output.

Please log in or register to post a reply.