KEEP ON KEEPING ON… A New 4 week challenge to 3rd October

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by topcac
    on

Morning to all my beautiful challenge buddies.

I’ve not weighed myself this morning – so there! Got back from Madrid at 11pm last night, have my period and have eaten and drunk too much so I figure that what with the bloat from the flight, period and overindulging it’s bound to be bad news – so today I’m just getting back on it and will weigh in on Friday instead! Just a water fast for as long as I can today then protein and veggies only later.
    Amazing city break – can highly recommend it as a destination – but bring a lot of money! ๐Ÿ™

Reading of weddings happening left right and centre is great – thank you so much for sharing Mariet, you sound like one very proud mummy ๐Ÿ™‚ hope you had a wonderful day and now you have all the wonderful photos to look forward to.

So, back to work and reality for me today, currently peeing like a racehorse (TMI?) so obviously have been retaining water for a while!!

Halfway through the challenge everyone – keep on keeping on (especially those with a holiday looming) get those bikinis out!!

TC xxx

• posted by Theodora
    on

MaisieMouse , our life has been fun this summer, but bl***y exhausting too.๐Ÿ˜ฒ But, believe me, mostly our life is as mundane as most people’s – but this summer has been manic with everything crammed together.
    As far as feeling fat is concerned, of course I KNOW I’m not fat (5’5″ on a good day – o/h says I’m shrinking and am now only 5’4″ – and 8st 4lbs cannot be construed as fat in anyone’s language) but I think I am now so in tune with my body that I don’t even have to get on the scales to know if I have lost or gained – I know by how I feel and by running my hands over my abdomen when I wake up each morning, and am generally accurate to within a pound! Obviously feeling fat if I have gained 3lbs is all psychological (I never noticed when I was piling on 3st๐Ÿ˜จ) but I think that it’s the psychological feeling of “feeling fat”, which I really hate, which is allowing me to maintain, if that makes any sense?

Bluebell, having the busy social life is lovely ( see comments to Maisiemouse above) and still being under goal is even better but I do have to work at it, and water fast regularly whenever I get the chance (longest to date is 49.5 hours, more usually 36 hours). I know this would be too extreme for many, but it works for me. I know I can continue long term because fasting from Sunday evening until Tuesday morning every week was how I kept my weight stable for 6 years when I was younger. In fact I only stopped when I found I was expecting my youngest child and was advised against fasting during pregnancy. No idea why I didn’t recommence my weekly fast after my son was born, but I didn’t and, over the intervening years, piled on 3st. I don’t intend letting that happen again, so my maintenance plan has been, and will continue to be, sticking with BSD principles, whilst still enjoying a social life, and then throwing in a water only fast as and when necessary.

I hope the hypnotherapy helps your daughter, what a lovely, supportive mum you are. She is lucky to have you in her corner. Really hope your knee feels better soon. I walk a lot too, and have found that the weight loss has really helped my knees, and they no longer give me any trouble, so hopefully you will find the same – another NSV ๐Ÿ˜€

TC, so pleased you enjoyed your city break. Great plan just to get back on plan. Well done.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hello everyone, so many new names and so many old favourites – what a team we are.

I can report after my crazy week with friends visiting I have gained 3.5 lbs and now weigh in at exactly 76kg. It could have been worse but i got straight back on the plan on Sunday and have lost 2lbs since then. Okay it is a number I never wanted to see again but I know that I am going to get stuck in seriously and will be under that by tomorrow and continue to lose that extra 3.5. My goal for this week is exactly that, lose 3.5lbs. I want to lose 5lbs before the end of this challenge then look at a 2 week goal plan before my next holiday. I am seriously fed up of losing 5lbs before holiday then regaining 5lbs while away. That cycle has to stop.

Even though I have had some carbs (bread and chips) it has only had a minimal impact on my BG so gone from 85/90 to 110 and that will soon be nipped in the bud. Hopefully life will be back to normal and I will be participating in the thread and keeping up to date with you all. Glad the wedding day went well Mariet.

• posted by happyitsworking
    on

Good morning everyone……….Todays weigh in down .6 of a pound. I know I need to cut back on my carbs. I have a couple of good days and then I find I start sabotaging my good work. I have to stop that cycle and stop losing and gaining the same 5 lbs. all the time. So I know reading this thread will help me a lot.

on

Know the feeling happyitsworking, we need to stick to our guns – we know it works.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hello everyone,

I finished our previous challenge at 64.6kg, after gradually increasing by a couple of kgs over 3 months. Didn’t weigh in last week as I was just not feeling my head in the game and this week I did no weighing, measuring, tracking of food or exercise. I just tried to be “reasonable”. There were several meals out, but also a lot of turmoil and heavy lifting in the house due to full bathroom reno. Upshot of all this is that this morning’s weigh-in was 64.1kg i.e. .5kg loss over the 2weeks. Happy to see it of course and will be more present on the forum again. I’ve missed you all.

Mariet, what beautiful word pictures you painted for us, thank you. Aiming all good wishes in the direction of your young Daniel and his Kate.

Well done to everyone who is progressing towards their goal, and keep on keeping on every one of us.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi everyone

Well, last week’s report in from me was all hip, hip hooray; this week’s is not quite that – but still fairly positive. Lost a 1lb then put it back on again, so still 2lbs away from shifting down into Overweight BMI. Having read lots on these forums I think this might be due to what a couple of posts have referred to as ‘retained solids’ so don’t mind so much (and yes, 61, and still trying not to snigger when I type that phrase !)

My main issue this week is with my blood sugar levels which have been behaving beautifully up to now (5-6 weeks in), dropping down from 8’s, 7’s through 6’s to 5’s last week (and even the odd 4). This week they have been bouncing all over the place, high 6’s, 7’s and even a couple of 8’s as well as 5’s. But, I know that people like Bill 1954, Captain Lynne and others reported problems with blood sugar readings around this stage. I believe this diet works, but more than anything I have faith in the experiences people have posted on this site, so I’ve decided to stay positive and keep ploughing on. Also, for the first time, this week I seem to have lost inches so that’s great. Have upped my water and feel much better for it – thanks SunnyB and Mixnmatch.

I’m away in the Lake District next week so will be able to do lots of walking (not my natural ‘thing’ but finding it easier and slightly more ‘enjoyable’? as the weight comes down). I think I’ll be OK with food – protein and salad or green veg, but what do people drink when they go out. I would usually have a white wine and soda, or lime and soda – but would lime cordial be OK?

Happyitsworking – I know what you mean about sabotaging yourself – I do exactly the same. It’s so frustrating, particularly when you know you’re doing it but it’s still so hard to stop yourself. Marsie – I remember reading your weigh-in post last week and thinking how honest you were. I’ll look forward to reading more of your posts. Lovely to read about your son’s wedding Mariet – what a happy day it sounded.

On Saturday evening I went to watch England v West Indies at Durham Cricket ground (I love my husband). It was so cold (or I was so cold) all I thought about for 4 hours was soup. First thing Sunday morning, I made Verano’s Pea Soup (in recipe section). It was delicious and I’m off to have a bowlful. Highly recommend it.

• posted by bluebell50
    on

Thank you Theodora.
    Firstly, regarding yor height loss (New 4 Week Challenge), I know how you feel. When I had my medical for the police force, I was measured at 5’6″. Having recently moved and changed GP, my medical revealed I am now 5’4″!! So this means I have even MORE weight to lose. Pah!.
    As regards my daughter, it went well. We decided to hop on the bus into the city, as it would have cost just as much to park. Anyway, previous bus/coach journeys always involved sandwiches and a bottle of pop. This time I decided just to take a handful of mixed nuts and a bottle of water but my lovely daughter had secretly packed me one of my favourite snacks – celery sticks filled with Brussels Pate. 20g of the pate fills quite a few sticks, with just 42 calories and less than 1g of carbs.
    Just then, a well dressed lady about my age (57) alighted the bus, along with a male friend. They sat behind me, and I thought nothing of it until I heard some sickly slurpy noises. It continued for 19 horrid miles. My daughter had sat on the opposite side of me and could see them. She sent me a text, explaining the noise. They were snogging! SNOGGING on the bloody bus!
    I might have expected it from teenagers – even thought it quite sweet. But, eugghh.
    The celery and pate were forgotten.
    Having safely delivered my daughter (for the second time in my life) to the Hypnotherapist, I walked back into the town, and sat down at the first bench I came to (sore knee). It was outside a Greggs. But, still not feeling hungry, I ‘people watched,’ It was 1.30pm and the lunchtime trade was roaring. Several of the customers sat next to me on the bench to eat their take-away, and the common factor in them all was patently obvious.
    I am trying not to be judgemental. In my previous life, I would have thought nothing of going to Wetherspoon for a full cooked breakfast, shopped a bit, and then onto Greggs for a sausage roll or pasty. And I very much enjoyed it.
    But no more. I need to get and stay healthy.
    I left the bench and walked around the beautiful Norwich Cathedral (c.1100) So plenty of steps today. Funnily enough, I realised at the Cathedral my knee no longer ached! Daughter safely collected, we got on the returning bus, full of well behaved school children (no snogging). I ate my celery and pate, (good job it was a cold day) and had a happy journey home. Sorry to ramble – just a weird, strange day for me.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hi everyone,
    I’ve just been catching up on all of your posts, I’d somehow been unsubscribed again – thought my email was strangely quiet!
    I’ve had a small loss this week, 400g or 0.88lb. I had gone down even lower last week, after a 22 hour fast, but weight went up again when I started eating again (funny that!).
    I’m beginning to understand how my body works in terms of weight loss. Every 3-4 weeks I’ll have a Whoosh and hit a “new low”, and I get excited by the numbers. Then my weight comes back up again and over the next few weeks gradually goes back to the new low weight and that becomes my new normal, and then the cycle repeats itself. I’m averaging about 1kg per month loss.
    In terms of this 4 week challenge, I’ve lost 1.3kg in the 2 weeks, so doing better than usual ๐Ÿ™‚
    SunnyB – your reference to 76kg and not wanting to see that number again made me chuckle as this is a magic number for me and one I yearn for – yes it’s my goal weight! I realise it’s all relative to our heights, builds etc but it made me chuckle.
    Bluebel – I enjoyed your post about your day out and well done on sticking to plan ๐Ÿ™‚ I find myself doing the same thing (looking at people’s lunches when I’m out), I also can’t help glancing into people’s trolleys in the supermarket and thinking “how can they eat all that rubbish? Where’s the real food?”.
    Mariet – congratulations on your son’s wedding, the day sounded lovely. I live in Sydney too and was thinking of you last Saturday and glad it was a sunny day.
    Cathy – the idea of a break is a good one I think. I belong to a couple of BSD groups on Facebook and this is often discussed. The Admins always point out that the 800 calories is for 8-12 weeks and then you should give your body a break for 4 weeks (essentially maintenance) and then do another round.
    Not sure this would work for me – I lose weight so slowly I’d worry if put it all back on again in the 4 weeks maintenance and then have to lose the same couple of kilos next round!
    I’m just going to keep on keeping on doing what I’m doing – 5 days of 800/900 calories and then 2 days 1000/1200, but always following principles (well ok MOSTLY following principles!). It’s my birthday this weekend and while I won’t be at the goal weight I’d set for myself at the beginning of the year, at least I’m part of the way there. Actually I WILL be at my goal weight by my birthday – just next year not this one โ˜บ๏ธ

• posted by EC
    on

morning all
    I had an odd day yesterday…tried to post several times but wouldn’t “submit”…didn’t seem to be signed out as you were SueBlue…but ah, well
    Congratulations to all on both life goals (weddings, family coming on board etc) and downward scales…its a busy little thread

I’ve just had a “weekend off” after the 5 days fmd but still mostly on plan, bar wine a couple of days and bread and cheese on one…scales went up and down by just under a kg so back to a total loss of 2kg since the beginning of the month…and MANY of my clothes are getting looser…and off to the gym now!! (oh, my halo!!)
    have a wonderful week all
    xx

• posted by Hello 66
    on

Wonderfu to hear all about your Son’s wedding Mariet , so glad it all went well , just about felt I was there you described everything so beautifully , and as for your 86-year-old Mum , what a legend ! that is absolutely fantastic that she has lost this weight , her prediabetes will certainly be put right into the background by now , funny how some doctors don’t put much importance on this prediabetes , but once diabetes hits it certainly causes many untoward complications that none of us really want or need whatever age we are .
    I like your idea of your cocktail dress zip not doing up , and due to your commitment to BSD it now does !
    I have a lovely dress I would dearly love to wear again , so will use your idea , and your dear Mum has given me renewed resolve to kick my pre diabetes out of my life !
    ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜ Hello 66

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning all,

today:
    -0.8lb ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

NSV = I was able to remove my wedding ring for the first time in at least 3 years. Had to reassure hubby that it isn’t that I want to it is just nice to know I can ๐Ÿ™‚

Go Well,

• posted by JackieM
    on

Well. After a week and a half of yo-young around the 68.5kg mark ….. Drum roll please ….

68.1 – first time I’ve been that near to my mini goal of 68kg.

Rock on!

8kg gone, 4kg to go.

๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

• posted by Marsie
    on

Same, same, happyitsworking, self sabotage is a fairly common though distressing theme around here. As sunshine-girl said, “stick to our guns โ€“ we know it works.”

Eeuw, bluebell50, not your common and garden bus trip! Happy for you it was a successful day otherwise.

So far so good, SueBlue, and knowledge is power as the saying goes, so more power to you for recognising your patterns.๐Ÿ’œ

Wow, Mokovex, great NSV for you with your ring.๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰

JackieM, rock on indeed. Thrilling progress. ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰

Just finishing lunch, am about to don the work gloves and help lug the last buckets full of broken up bathroom tiles, etc, downstairs and outside to the skip bin. Who needs to go to the gym?

• posted by soapbox
    on

Good morning all!

Some lovely news to catch up on here, including a wonderful sounding wedding!

As predicted weight loss has slowed down a lot:
    1/9 14 4.5
    8/9 13 12
    11/9 13 11
    12/9 13 10.5
    19/9 13 9

Still it is moving in the right direction so I will keep on keeping on!

on

Hi all, lovely day here. Woke up to heavy low lying mists as we live in a dip by a river – arranged to meet friends for a walk and knew by the time I walked down to the village it would be clear as anything and it was. Walked for one solid hour then went to a new Salon de The and had a delicious lemon verbena and jasmine tea. Must see if it is available in the supermarket – or maybe next time ask the lady if she sells it loose. I had lemon verbena growing in a pot with some mint but died off during winter and didn’t come back, although the mint did.

Weight is the same at 76kg – getting the food right but still having a couple of glasses of wine until I can get back to not having anything – it is just habit after regular drinking with friends/visitors – vow to have nothing tonight as I know it is impairing my weight loss.

BG is back down to around 4.0 and 4.5 so no worries there – will start reducing insulin again as I put it back up to 24 units in anticipation of overdoing things. When friends were here we went to supermarket and they bought a miniature cake selection – 12 in a box of rhum baba, eclairs, custard tarts and strawberry flan. My friend said ‘that is 3 each’ – I said ‘no it is 4 each as I wont be having any’ to shrieks of ‘oh no you cant be that good’. Well I was, so I do have some self-control.

Breakfast was a spinach and melon smoothie – lunch was ploughmans and dinner will be a giant frittata – I shop Thursdays so like to clear out all the mushroom, peppers, eggs etc – a quarter of the omelette will be kept in the fridge for my supper tonight – I love cold omelette.

Have a good day everyone and keep on keeping on…

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Encouraged by a slightly better reading on the scales this morning. Will be reporting my final result for this challenge on Saturday, as we head off on our travels on Sunday morning and although I will weigh before going, I probably won’t have time to post the result before we leave.

Seem to be losing small amounts and then gaining them back, in a cycle at the moment, but staying under target weight, so grateful for that at least. On Saturday, I’m hoping to be able to report an overall loss against my weight at the start of this challenge though. Just need to maintain discipline and not slip into ‘holiday mode’ too soon.

Hope everyone is doggedly keeping on keeping on ….

• posted by topcac
    on

Hello everyone – two good days – managed a 20 hour fast yesterday and a 21 hour one today. Eating too many calories but all the right ones if you know what I mean – no junk.

Slowly working my way back to 800 cals – trying to go easier on myself as I tend to be very self critical and end up sabotaging good work – trying to be mindful also.

In training all day tomorrow so hopefully can avoid any naughty snacks that come my way.

Keep on keeping on everyone – bikini bodies for us all!

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Hello! Market what a lovely wedding description- brought a tear to the eye.

Love Madrid mix!! Glad you enjoyed yourself!

Theodora and err someone else who asked but on the previous page- the house is in pontremoli in northern Tuscany. We are a bit nervous now! The plan is to holiday let it and visit on and off for a year and then see how a stint of 3-6 months works!!!!

I am struggling. I am at my best friends house. Her first child is eight weeks and I meeting her and hanging out. Which is so wonderful. But I miscarried this year and I would have been due in five weeks time and so I am feeling blue and conflicted – happy and proud for her and sad and unsure for me. Trying to keep my chin up because it’s not her fault!! But I ate a whole plate of tortellini today and a pita bread and this is definitely comfort eating. Don’t want to sabotage myself but I need to get out of here I think! So going to fast for next 36 hours and just let myself stay with the feelings instead of running away with the food as a place to hide!

Love to all – well done Jackie!! I am well jell!! I don’t dare weigh today but on my mates scales I was 71.5 yesterday morning so am maintaining in spite of my worries. It helps to track the falls off wagon. This one was 2000 calories so not too bad I guess. Glad I don’t drink!

• posted by Mariet
    on

No movement downward on the scales yet but no movement up either so could be worse! I think the various indulgences last week moved me out of ketosis and it will take a while to get back to fat burning.

I’m alone in the house for 5 weeks so taking the time to do a massive clearance. We have a council clean up this week and my nature strip is crowded with discarded things. I hope they pick it up today. Everyday the gleaners come and pick over it all to take things. I don’t mind that, I’d rather it can be reused if possible but they toss stuff all over the place so every day I’m back out there tidying it all up again. I guess it counts as exercise?

• posted by bluebell50
    on

Hello All,

I haven’t been calorie counting, just keeping my eye on the carbs. Tonight I had mt favourite – smoked haddock, spinach with a med. poached egg on top. Only 1.1 carbs, and worked out the calories… less than 180! I’ve been making sure there is always fish and chicken in the freezer along with the only veg I really eat these days, spinach, so there is always something healthy that I can either put on the George Forman thingy or bung in the microwave. My daughter worked out that since starting this challenge we have walked over 200,000 steps and are well on the way to a quarter of a million. Keep on keeping on eh?

Onetowatch. I am so sorry for your loss, and know how you feel. You very very brave to put your feelings aside and visit your friend. She must have felt awkward too. I can only say to you, please, be kind to yourself and don’t beat yourself up about the tortellini!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Onetowatch, I echo entirely Bluebell’s comments. Of course you are pleased for your friend, but of course you are still mourning the loss of your own baby. When I was young, I suffered 2 miscarriages and one stillbirth, whilst my friends were producing healthy babies, so I know exactly how you are feeling, you need time to mourn. I’m sure your friend understands this. Forgive yourself the tortellini and the pitta bread. BTW, I did manage to produce 3 wonderful, fit, healthy, bouncing babies, and I’m sure you will too.

Bluebell, smoked haddock, spinach and poached egg is one of my favourite meals too.

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning all,

onetowatch, your comment about staying with your feelings sounds really wise. I am so sorry for your loss and understand how complicated the situation of celebrating with your friend whilst grieving your own loss is. Hope you are able to find the time to be sad when you need to be and, as you say, not hiding in food. Echo the thoughts of others here in saying I hope you aren’t too hard on yourself for your slip?

today:
    -0.3lb
    Feels like the pace is picking up for me currently which is marvellous. Have now completed a full 5 weeks of BSD. This is the longest time in years that I haven’t resorted to bingeing to manage my emotions. To be honest, I felt so stuck that I didn’t think change would be possible and that gloom totally wrecked any attempts I made (in the back of my mind the ‘you can’t sustain this’ voice).

I confess to feeling nervous about the end of the 8 weeks as this now feels ‘safe’ but hubby is totally on board and has a clear plan about how we manage it. We have a trip to Italy booked in October, we plan to stick to BSD way but have an intentional treat of pizza and gelato. When we get back we are thinking of doing another round of 800cals daily until we get to goal. He has about 14lb to go and I have about 21lb. For this 8 weeks, we have been pretty focused, even turning down (finding ways round) eating out opportunities as we wanted to make this a priority. For the next round we will be more flexible and accept the inevitable slips etc and try to deal with them as they arise. I guess that is where many of you are at, trying to make this a way of life.

Theodora, I am encouraged by your weight loss as I think we have similar stats. I too am 5’5″ and seem to have a similar goal and similar amount to lose as you did. i.e. when I get to your weight that will be 3st gone.

Go well today everyone.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Ah, OnetoWatch, life really sucks sometimes, eh? I have similar conflicted feelings at my in-laws when I watch sister-in-law and ma-in-law, cos my mum died when I was 10. They are just being themselves but it’s hard not to feel left out and resentful. Difficult times because you can’t fix it but I am always pleased to leave.

Scales said 67.9kg today which I am taking, though may just have been standing in a slightly different place!

Xxxx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

You are so right about staying with your feelings, Onetowatch and not stuffing them down with food. It’s important to grieve and allow yourself to feel whatever you are feeling. So many of us can identify with your conflicting emotions. When I was in a similar situation – many years ago now – I felt like if I embraced my feelings I’d start crying and thought if that happened, I might not be able to stop. It took going on a solitary retreat to push me to making that shift, to really grieve and I found that actually, it wasn’t so scary and it allowed the healing really started.

Don’t beat yourself up for the dietary slip, in the scheme of things it doesn’t matter, because you are going to get back to the BSD proper and negate any adverse effect. Don’t stress about what you ate then, just focus on what you’re going to eat today and be gentle with yourself.

Mokovex – that first trip away when you have been religiously counting calories and carbs on the 8 week 800, is pretty daunting but if you stick with the principles and just allow yourself a few little ‘treats’ while you’re away, any gains should be minimal. I always take ketosticks with me, as it gives me an indication how things are going and reduces the stress of not being able to weigh in every morning. And of course, you know you are better equipped now than ever before, to deal with any small gain once you are back.

Life happens and we need to find ways of making this WOE work within our lifestyle, so just be sure to relax and enjoy your holiday. Have a great time!

on

Sorry to hear about your loss and coping with your friends joy for her healthy baby. Many things happen in life and I cannot think of anything worse and you are amazing to deal with it in way that doesn’t hurt you more. I have had many years of pushing down my feelings with alcohol and have always stayed that one step away from not going under completely but I have managed it and in the end I am proud of how I have lived my life. I have not hurt anyone else and I have kept myself safe (although there have been close shaves). My issues are to do with abuse but I will say no more.

I am stuck at 76kg but I am only 2 days in so trying not to panic and looking at what when wrong – just how big was that handful of nuts??? Still as determined as ever so keep on keeping on…

• posted by Marsie
    on

As many virtual hugs as you can take, Onetowatch, it seems a good few of us can empathise intimately. I think being honest with yourself is your first great step towards healing while grieving and it sounds as though you’ve done that in style. Don’t be surprised if you experience little bursts of grief for years to come. That doesn’t mean you’re not getting on with your life, of course you are, its just part of you now, and you’ll be able to acknowledge calmly and carry on.๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ™…๐Ÿ™…

JackieM, I giggled at your scales perhaps being in a slightly different place …… in a different house, seems a thousand years ago, the bathroom floor was a bit skewiff and on any day that I wasn’t happy with the scales I’d kick them a little to the left or right or forward or back then take the best of three numbers. An indication, perhaps, of two things: that I can become somewhat obsessive and that, as this wonky house was early in our 50 year marriage I’ve been fighting my poor eating habits for a long time, since my early teens in fact. Lots of ups and downs over that length of time but, keeping on keeping on๐Ÿ˜“

Have a great vacation SunnyB, I’m sure you’ll handle moderation with aplomb. And a thought on your “up a bit/down a bit but staying under target weight” –
    sounds like successful maintenance to me. I’m sure it would be nigh on impossible to stay on the exact number day after day after week after month. It seems to me that maintenance is a bit of a juggling act as you get on with your life. That’s what I felt on WW anyway, held it for a few years at goal then just stopped juggling and here we are. Anyway, I congratulate you on handling maintenance in its early stages and wish you well as you go along๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ‘

sunshine-girl, I admire your stoicism and applaud your pride in your ability to overcome adversity whilst doing no harm. Keeping on keeping on suits you. Very happy to have “met” you and so many others on this forum. ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ‘

• posted by JackieM
    on

Hey there Marsie – but now you are fighting your eating habits and winning because you are wearing the right boxing gloves! Ha, sorry, rubbish metaphor, but you know what I mean.

Went to a play reading this evening with a group of great ladies who I don’t know well. They all had wine and I had … water. Felt really prudish not to join in, but I am actually scared about what would happen if I did (given blood sugar is skewiff). So stuck to tap water.

Goodnight all. Xxx

• posted by Theodora
    on

Nothing prudish about tap water, Jackie – hadn’t you heard, it’s the “go to ” drink for the “in crowd”๐Ÿ˜‰ Well done you, and guess who’ll have a clear head in the morning? ๐Ÿ˜œ So, night night, sleep tight. X

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning all,

Today -0.2lb ๐Ÿ™‚

I am now 141.9lb, next target is 139lb which will take me into the next stone bracket.

Thanks SunnyB for the reassurance. It is good to know that my concerns are predictable and many others have had them before and coped ๐Ÿ™‚

JackieM. Well done for marching to the beat of your own drum. I guess it can’t have been easy but your priorities sound bang on. I bet your blood is thanking you.

Question: anyone had experience of this woe interfering with monthly cycle. Usually I am regular give a day or two but now 6 days late (no, not pregnant) Have I triggered the menopause?? ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by SunnyB
    on

So good to see positive results being posted. Happy to say I too have seen another small loss this morning, so there is a smidgen of a chance I’ll manage to achieve a full 5lb wriggle room up to my target weight, by the time I duck out of the challenge tomorrow to go on holiday. Have decided that whatever the result tomorrow though, I’m not going to stress about it – I’m just going to go off and enjoy the holiday. Hope you will be doing the same Mokovex.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

I won’t be able to post on Tuesday as I am going away on Monday but l shall post my weight before I go. I only lost 0.2 lb on Tuesday when I weighed in and didn’t feel like posting. Was a bit fed up to be honest! I am in the middle of an extended fast and so far have been fasting for 38 hours. I am planning to fast until 4pm today and that will be a 42 hour fast. I have checked my urine this morning and am definitely in ketosis so hope to be burning my very stubborn fat. The longest fast I did previously was 20 hours. I regularly do 16:8 but decided that by mixing things up a bit I might try and boost my fat burning. I am amazed that I have not felt hungry once since I started on Wednesday evening. I’ve been drinking water, peppermint and licorice tea and black coffee and I’ve just bought rhubarb tea which tastes lovely. I am now off work until 2nd October and hope to recharge my quite drained batteries, have my four night break at the health spa and come back recharged and ready for another 8 week stint on BSD with more intermittent fasts planned so that I eventually get to goal. I’ve been on my mission to achieve a BMI of 25 now since 8.1.17 so 37 weeks! My BMI this morning is 25.9. This has been so challenging for me since June but I am keeping on and will keep on until I achieve what I set out to do. Have a lovely weekend everyone.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

That BMI of 25 is within touching distance now, CC. Have a wonderful spa break and I’m sure you will come back ready to do battle and achieve your goal. Have a good w/e and best of luck with hitting 25 in the very near future.

• posted by Theodora
    on

CC, I really admire your staying power. And that 25 BMI is very nearly within your grasp. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Well done on the extended fast. I have been amazed at how unhungry (is that even a word?๐Ÿ˜‰) I feel during extended fasts too, and obviously keeping well hydrated helps. In fact the longer I go without food, the less I seem to crave it, which makes it a very useful trick to have up one’s sleeve๐Ÿ˜œ

I shall look forward to seeing positive fast results from you on Monday (or maybe earlier on our January thread?) Have a wonderful, relaxing spa break, you’ve certainly earned it and surely a spa will have some healthy food choices? Enjoy๐Ÿ˜ƒ

on

Still stuck at 76kg. As I am not swimming every day any more (will go to the public pool during winter months) I think it has an impact on my weight loss as my body is used to having so much exercise. I have done nothing for the past 2 weeks except a bit of walking around towns, chateaux and up and down church steps whilst showing my friends around. Wednesday I went for a 1 hour walk with a couple of friends but I never think walking is good for calorie burning, although we walk quite briskly. Anyway, I decided it was time for the DVDs to come out again and started the morning with 30 mins of Shaun T’s Complete Abs workout. It’s a start.

Foodwise I am doing okay, this morning had yoghurt and fruit, lunch was tuna dip with celery, cucumber and red pepper with a couple of tomatoes thrown in as they are out of my garden and I have to eat some before they go off. Tonight I am making skinny chilli – unfortunately I am still having a couple of glasses of wine so I know where I am going wrong – I need to be 100% whereas right now I am around 80%. So I am on the 80/20 diet, good 80% bad 20% – that is supposed to be a reasonable figure but for me it is not good enough.

Anyway you chirpy lot, keep on keeping on… Oh and Marsie, it is not stoicism with me, it is sheer bloody mindedness – talking of which, I am starting a Mindfullness course with FutureLearn starting on 3rd October. That might help.

• posted by MaisieMouse
    on

Mmm tuna dip sounds nice! How do you make that then?

on

Hi MaisieMouse, in the original book it is called sardine dip but I hate sardines so use tuna. One can of tuna, 2 heaped tablespoons of cream cheese, splash of lemon juice and pepper, whizz together to form a mousse. Put in a dish and dip in crudities i.e. cucumber, red pepper, celery, carrot, courgette all cut into sticks. Very nice but a lot of raw veg to get through.

• posted by MaisieMouse
    on

That sounds delicious, what a good lunch! Must try that! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Theodora
    on

Maisiemouse, it works a treat with smoked mackerel too, if you like smoked fish. One of my really easy ‘go to’ recipes. I like to make it with peppered smoked mackerel best. I use 4 mackerel fillets (obviously skin removed – the dogs love that๐Ÿ˜‰) to one tub of cream cheese.

It freezes a treat too, so i make it in bulk and always have some in the freezer.

• posted by JackieM
    on

Accidental not eating til 3 today (too bust to grab right food so waited). Litres of water. Went to gym, did strength work, way harder than normal. PT says it’s cos I don’t have much ready energy, so trying to process fat, which takes longer. It’s was my OH does on his long runs, too. So probably all good I think.

Came home and ate can tuna/boiled egg/red pepper/3 cherry toms and tablespoon of mayo. Then finished off my low carb bolognese. Think I have eaten enough for today, but that’s OK as am out this evening. Poor husband has to fend for himself now I have this WOE! Well, I might cook some salmon for him later ๐Ÿ˜‚

We go fetch our puppy tomorrow. Wish me luck! And also wish our three cats luck too! And the 2 bunnies!

Xx

• posted by topcac
    on

Oooh a new puppy – how EXCITING – I can still remember when I bought mine home – special times (maybe not for the cats…)

We all seem to be fairly chirpy and on it today which is great. Onetowatch, so sorry to hear that you’re going through a rough patch. I can quite understand how you must feel, watching from the outside and wishing…but I’m sure your time will come and everyone is totally right, don’t beat yourself up about a little slip, a fast sounds good if it will refocus you.

I am fasting today also, have managed four days of nothing to eat until 4pm earliest. Today I am in hour 23 but will probably eat in the next hour as feeling a little woozy. Not sure how you guys manage 40 hours plus – but I guess we’re all different.

Weighed in today and I’ve stayed the same – but that isn’t what’s happened at all because I know I gained then lost again but because I didn’t weigh on Tuesday I actually feel a lot calmer about that. Maybe constant weighing doesn’t suit me either. I have 8 days to lose 8 lbs LOL – that’s not going to happen but every little will help the bikini body!!

Have a great weekend all – keep on keeping on

TC xxx

• posted by MaisieMouse
    on

Ooh yeah I love mackerel. Freezable too? That’s interesting! So do you then take it out of the freezer a few hours before you want to eat it? And for cream cheese do you use something like philadelphia? Getting hungry just thinking about it!

Good luck with the puppy JackieM, what kind of puppy is it?

on

Yes I normally use full fat philli, but my supermarket seems to only have philli lite so I bought something different which turned out to taste of soap so back to the philli if I can find it.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Maisiemouse, yes I too use full fat Phili or, frankly, supermarket’s own brand.

I find that a tub of cream cheese and 4 smoked mackerel fillets fill 6 small ramekin dishes. They defrost very quickly at room temperature (couple of hours) or overnight in the fridge.

Jackie, the fun (and hard work๐Ÿ˜‰) starts now. Puppies are irresistible – my boys are 8 and 10 and I keep thinking it’s about time we expanded the family……..

What sort of pup are you getting? Whatever he/she is, enjoy (pity you can’t bank sleep though๐Ÿ˜œ)

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning,

Today – 0.4lb ๐Ÿ™‚

This week I have experienced the whoosh effect that I have been reading about and longed for. Around 2.5 lb loss which I’ll take ๐Ÿ™‚

JackieM – how gorgeous. What an exciting day you have going on. My kids are 12, 10 & 8 and DESPERATE for a dog. We had a lovely one for 15 years but when he died I have been feeling so ill over the last few years that I just didn’t feel like I have capacity for another one. Feeling so much better now that it might be a possibility for the future!!!!

I am off to body balance at the gym this am and then a friend’s party. Should be ok though not eating anything there.

Hubby and I are sticking to a weekly food plan but I am excited about this mackerel dip, will definitely be coming back to these posts in a couple of weeks when we shake things up a little.

Have a good weekend all,

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

3.5 lb down since Wednesday when I embarked on my 42 hour fast. Am still in ketosis and today my weight is 135.8. My husband is away this weekend so I am going to do another 24 hour fast from tonight. Am going to keep my carbs super low for a few days and try and keep the fat burning going.

Looking forward to hearing all about the new puppy Jackie.

Have a great weekend everyone.

For anyone who like me struggles to lose weight quickly I would urge you to give fasting a go in order to give yourself a boost; because we are not used to eating sugar it is probably a little easier as we don’t get those hunger pangs and it’s easier than you would ever imagine. I will be doing it twice a month from now on based on my success this week.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Great result there Mokovex! You must feel nicely elated going into the w/e.

This is my final ‘official’ weigh in for this challenge, as we are off on our hols tomorrow morning and I probably won’t have time to post before the off. So, a bit up on yesterday (sadly), but overall down since Tuesday, with a total loss of 0.8lb. Would have preferred yesterday’s result, which would have given a total loss of 1.4lb, but it is what it is and I’m not stressing about it, just going to focus on the holiday and enjoying a relaxing time with my OH.

From here on in, I’m just going to stick to the BSD principles until we are back from hols and I’ll be hoping not to have to report too big a gain on our return at the beginning of November. I have a 3.6lb margin of wriggle room up to my target weight and have been sort of in maintenance for the last couple of weeks, so hoping to manage to keep reasonable control while we are away.

Anyway, have a brilliant w/e and keep going everyone …. keep on keeping on …. ! Hope you all end the challenge where you want to be.

• posted by Verano
    on

Happy hols SunnyB! Enjoy.

on

Have a great time SunnyB – hi Verano are you back with us??

I was watching The Chase last night and a woman said she had started Banting 2 years ago and lost a lot of weight. Remembered to look it up this morning and it is THIS diet but devised by William Banting in the 1800’s – calling it The Way People Are Meant to Eat. The diet itself was devised by a Dr Claude Bernard (Frenchman) who made it to treat his diabetic patients and Mr Banting went to one of his lectures in Paris – check it out on Wiki – I makes fascinating reading. It totally is this diet.

Still 76 kg this morning so my weight loss in the last 2 weeks is 2lbs but that is after a gain so just about evening things out. Hope to do better this coming week now I have eased myself back into it. BG is running at around 5.0 – 5.5 so not too unhappy with that and still have 3 months to get it right back down again before my next HbA1c (every 3 months).

I noticed on the advertising board outside our supermarket that a new gym has opened in the next village and it looks really good and ultra modern and there is no membership needed, you just pay monthly at โ‚ฌ33. Think I might give it a go when we return from our December break (avoiding using the C word) as there is very little to do around here in winter. Watching the programme about ageing I think I need to do more strength exercises to help build muscle – they said it was never too late and it avoids weaknesses in old age that cause us to fall over and things like that. Anyway I pass it on my way to shopping so will pop in on Monday and check it out.

Breakfast was grilled mushrooms and poached egg – I am getting quite good at it, they always used to break up – lunch was Spanish chickpea soup and I will be having chicken curry with wilted dark cabbage for dinner. Have a good weekend everyone and keep on keeping on…

• posted by Marsie
    on

Have a wonderful time SunnyB. See you when you’re back home again xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.