Kazzee's Road Trip to Easter 2019 – from 1 Jan – 16 weeks

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

My weight was up 1.4 lb this morning. I could tell I had not lost anything but it was disappointing to see a gain. Its not fat, it’s probably water. It’s week 3 of my reboot so I wasn’t expecting a loss. This week would normally be a plateau week for me. Sticking with my hardcore plan until 1st April. Won’t be able to get to goal in 19 days but I will keep going and see how low I can go before my health spa week. Am finding this journey is becoming quite challenging and relentless but I know I have to live like this if it want to stay slim. On a positive note I have sold all my size 16/18 clothes now on eBay and this week bought some size 12 summer dresses for my holiday in June to replace the size 16s I sold on eBay,

How is everyone doing? DCT, SueBlue where are you?

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hi CC, I’m still here plodding along. I’m continuing to have some health issues, and this along with some family problems and heavy workload has been making me feel overwhelmed to be honest. I’m not in the right headspace to be focussing on my diet at the moment. In saying that, although I haven’t been counting calories I have been eating on plan foods mostly and have lost weight over the last 2 months. I’ve now lost 2.3 kilos since re-starting (well sort of, restarting – it’s been on and off!). I’m happy to have a slow weight loss, I like looking at the graph and seeing the downward trend. When everything else settles down a bit I’ll do another strict 8 weeks of 800 calories.
    How lovely that you were able to sell your bigger clothes Cathy and buy some new ones in a much smaller size 🙂 I really admire your strength and determination to keep going!

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hi Cathy I’m still here too, just lurking round the edges a bit at the moment. My weight is currently fluctuating between 139-141lb and I’m at the point where I can see a very clear correlation between how much I consume and what end of that little spectrum my weight is on.

I do still hope to get to my goal of 133lb by the end of April but know that I need to work harder to begin losing properly again. But a bit like SueBlue (hello!) there is lots going on in my life at the moment – mostly positive – but I’m not getting the time to plan meals and count carbs/calories to any great extent. All I can do is stick broadly to BSD principles and I now know them well enough that I can sense if I’m going a bit off track one day so reign it in the next day.

You’ve been doing really well Cathy so don’t be discouraged by the slight gain. We all know that this diet is not linear and odd hiccups can happen for no apparent reason. So keep going now that you are in the groove and you will look and feel fab for your spa break no matter what the scales say! Especially with your lovely new wardrobe 🙂

SueBlue I hope that things calm down for you and well done for your steady progress despite everything else. You’ve done brilliantly to avoid falling into the comfort eating trap and yes you can do another 8 weeks when you feel ready. I love that we can adapt this WOE to fit in with circumstances but still make progress rather than scurrying back to old habits.

Hello to everyone else too. Keep on keeping on! I read all your posts and am cheering you on – and will report back when there are any further developments this end 🙂

XX

• posted by Jordana
    on

Allie, I fully agree – not just wine but when I’m drinking any alcohol, there is much more fluid retention than when I’m not. It’s working quite well at the moment – after a dry January, I’m managing to stick to two or three drinks a week. (which is good for me 🙂 )

• posted by alliecat
    on

That’s great, Jordana! Some of us more insulin resistant type have had to accept that glasses of wine are like
    stealth bombers, and can throw everything off track for an entire week. Sad, but true. Whenever I go a little
    off track and allow “wine creep”, meaning mid week glasses, into the picture, I always pay a price for it on the
    scales. You are doing so well, and once a week seems to be working for you 🙂 Best,

Allie

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Thanks for your encouragement DCT.
    My next 8 weeks 800 calorie stint may be delayed even further as unfortunately I fell over while walking home from the shops on Thursday afternoon and have broken my right shoulder. It should heal by itself without surgery but it means wearing a sling for the next 6 weeks at least, making cooking and meal prep challenging, as I’m right handed! I’ve been eating simple foods like scrambled eggs and soup from my freezer for the past few days. I’m going to have to teach my daughters how to make some BSD meals for me! Or at least chop and prepare some of the ingredients to make it easier for me to cook one handed. At this stage my focus is to at least maintain at my new lower weight for a few weeks while things settle down. Hope everyone else is going ok.

on

SueBlue- so so sorry to hear about your accident. What a shock for you- you must have been badly shaken, wishing you a speedy recovery. Focus on getting well and once your shoulder is healed you can refocus. Scrambled egg and soup sound perfect whilst you’re recuperating. Hope you can get comfortable with your shoulder. Simple foods will be in order for the next few weeks. Thinking of you. Get well soon and see you back when you’re healed.

on

Oh Sue that’s awful. I do hope that your daughters can help you and that other family and friends will rally round too. Please be careful of that shoulder so it sets right and doesn’t cause further problems downstream. So take care of yourself. Well done for having stuff in your freezer to be going on with and I hope that you get the help that you need. I guess it’s still summer out there so hopefully lots of salads will be quite easy too – as long as someone can chop large items up for you to eat more easily? Anyway all the best and keep in touch X

on

JGwen

Please would you kindly help me out? I have bought one of the cheap breath analysers from amazon as I seem to spend a lot of money on Ketostix. The breath analyser I have measures in the following units BAC, mg/L and mg/100ml. Please can you advise me what level would indicate being in good ketosis. At the moment my reading is Zero? My ketosticks are confirming that I am not in ketosis so I will aim to get into ketosis with my sticks over the next couple of days and then have a blow in the meter to compare. Thank you for helping me out with your scientific knowledge.

• posted by JGwen
    on

This is the website I got the information from on using one of the cheap breathalysers. There is both text and a video on the site.

https://www.fatforweightloss.com.au/measure-breath-ketones/

The measurements in acetone would be mmol/L which is the same as the setting that shows you g/100ml of alcohol. The video on the website shows you a more detailed version of this.

Improved Athletic Performance / Weightloss: Above 0.5mmol/L

Improved Mental Performance: 1.5mmol/L – 3mmol/L

Therapeutic: 3mmol/L – 6mmol/L

The simple way to look at it is that if Insulin is too high so that you are not in fat burning mode, you will get a reading of 0. If you are getting any reading of ketones then insulin must be low enough for you to burn fat.

Don’t panic about having readings higher than 6. I often do, in fact I have to say that I personally feel my best when I have a reading of over 14.

on

Thanks JGwen. I guess any reading would indicate fat burning. I will get into ketosis on my sticks and do a comparison with the breath analyser and see what reading I get I was virtually in the purple a couple of weeks ago using the sticks but now don’t seem to be burning fat at all. I need to be quite low on the carbs to stay in ketosis so will do my best tomorrow and Monday (am at a retirement party tonight) to go low and start to burn fat.

• posted by JGwen
    on

The pee sticks are not a reliable method. In the early days of ketosis your body produces more ketones than it needs and the surplus ends up in your urine, however after a short time the body stops wasting fuel and so you will not get a reading from pee sticks. The breathalyser, however, is picking up on the byproduct of using ketones for fuel.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi everyone,
    Sorry, I haven’t posted for a while. I’ve been at my brother’s house for a couple of weeks and without a computer so I’m just trying to catch up with what I’ve missed. I’m off to the shops to stock up for the week but just wanted to say SueBlue, I’m so sorry to hear about your accident – it sounds horrible. Hope you have got over the shock of the fall and that your shoulder isn’t too painful as it heals. Take care and best wishes. xx

Will catch up again later – including with pee and pee-sticks ! I am actually interested in this conversation as I have been wondering whether to move from using a blood glucose home testing kit to using a blood glucose/ketone home testing kit. Just not sure.

Jennie

on

Hi Jennie10

Nice to see you back on the forum. I am sending my breath analyser back today as faulty. It was showing a zero reading yesterday for ketosis so I did an experiment. I had four gin and tonics last night and blew into the machine and it again recorded a zero! It told me I was safe to drive as my alcohol level was zero. It did not measure the alcohol in my breath and therefore I think that’s why I got a zero for ketones earlier in the day. I really did take one for the team by doing this experiment but I wanted to test the efficacy of the machine and no doubt my weight will be up as a result of the alcohol experiment. It was worth it though in my opinion. I may consider buying another machine as no doubt it was faulty. The strips definitely work for me for about the first three or four weeks into ketosis. Let me know how you get on. It usually takes me about two or three days of very low carb to register a pink/Purple on the Ketostix.

• posted by Jordana
    on

Hello everyone 🙂 How are you all doing. Just four and a half weeks to the end of this challenge – doesn’t time fly. I don’t really know whether I will be on target but I’m losing slowly and steadily. Today is a real “carb flu” day where I’m counting them so rigorously that I have a splitting headache despite drinking pints of water. But I remember this from before and as hard as it is, I don’t really mind it because I remember how good the end result was.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Jordana – wow, is it only four and a half weeks to Easter. Sorry to hear it’s a carb flu day, but it sounds like you’re doing really well sticking with it. Slowly and steadily often wins the day! Hope you’re feeling better soon.

ClarinetCathy – your post did make me smile. 4 G&Ts – taking one for the team, indeed! How is your head ? Seriously though, that’s a pity about the faulty breath analyser. If you get another one I’ll be interested in how you get on with it. Hope you didn’t gain on the weight front. Because I use a home blood sugar monitoring kit I thought it might be useful to get a dual monitor to test ketones as well, but I checked online after my last post and the ketone strips for the meter I was recommended are £1 each, and that would be on top of the bgl strips, so, at the moment, it wouldn’t be worth it for me. I keep to 20g carbs a day so it’s highly likely I’m in ketosis anyway. I’m mostly interested because I’m a data geek – certainly the breath analyser is more affordable.

So, not reported on weight for a while. I’ve lost 4lbs over the last couple of weeks, which I’m happy to take, so my new weight is 10st 7lbs. I’m 5lbs away from the top of my healthy BMI. However, my food intake has been a bit erratic (for all sorts of reasons) over the last couple of weeks so my focus for this next week is to just get back into my own weighing, measuring and exercise routine.

Hope everyone else is doing well.
    Jennie

• posted by alliecat
    on

Jennie, you must be very petite! At 20g of carbs per day, I think it’s safe to assume that you are DEFINITELY in ketosis!
    Have you felt the big energy boost from being so successful in achieving that goal? I’ve never used the keto sticks,
    but I was very aware when I reached that place. I felt light, and no longer like I was walking with half of my body
    under water! We’d all like to hear your story and your goals, when you feel comfortable sharing. There are so many
    members here that don’t post, and every accomplishment is received and inspires others who we may not even know!
    I’ve received so many beautiful emails from these folks, and it’s very gratifying and humbling to read them 🙂

Allie

on

Hello everyone. Four and a half weeks to Easter and I am still up and down the same few pounds! Had a bad few days to be perfectly honest…. crisps!!! Have been unhappy at work and the four gin and tonics at the retirement party on Saturday (all in the name of my scientific experiment to see if my breath analyser was working) took their toll on today’s weigh in which was up 2.2 lb. I will get back on track, I always do. My pattern is becoming quite obvious- a weight between 138.5 and 142.0. It is 12 days til I go away and I had hoped to lose a few pounds prior to my week at Ragdale. Things just haven’t gone to plan! Tomorrow is another day and I am going to try really really hard to lose 3.5 lb before I go away. Aim is to be 137 on 1st April.
    Good luck to everyone trying hard to achieve their target during this trip. My aim for Good Friday is to be 135 lb.

Jennie – well done on your 4lb loss in two weeks. Fantastic achievement!

#comeon

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

CC – hot raspberries and yog? Sorry about the unhappiness at work. But you have your week of pampering to look forward to. My aim for Good Friday is to be on track…But yes it is coming up quickly! I like the hashtag. Could be extended to #comeonvirtuouscircleboocarbslovelypeopleall. I’m tempted to add quack quack but that is already TM. Or is it…? Shellbob, how are things? And NEE????

• posted by Jordana
    on

Lots of effort and then I gain a pound…….
    Oh well there’s no point giving up because that won’t reach any goals either!

Well done Jennie 4lb such a good result. ClarinetCathy – crisps and gin and tonic – two of my favourite things! Although I think if I had four you’d have to scrape me off the floor. Two is my limit in a sitting – I’m a bit of a lighthead!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Jennie,
    I thought I would chip in re the breathalyser. – I bought an AT6000 back in November. As a vegi, its difficult for me to stay below 20g of carbs, so I needed to fine my eating patterns to ensure I am in ketosis.
    Like you I love data and find it interesting to be able to track how different food items effect my levels. I also think that by discovering how different feelings on enhanced energy / mental alertness matches with different level of ketosis, helps me find my own personal sweet spot. – I have found it helpful as well when working on increasing my length of fasting, I get a sense of achievement with reaching higher levels which helps me to handle the move from 22 hrs to 36 hour fasts. I find that I get a desire to eat not because of physical hunger but because of thoughts that I aught to eat every day, and aiming to spend a specific number of hours at a higher level of ketosis helps me get through the evenings.
    – I suspect that in the long term it will also be useful to compare results to see how my ability to handle carbs improves over time as Insulin Resistance reduces.
    I had thought about buying a blood monitor, but the model most commonly recommended keto mojo is not available in the UK as well as it costing $1 a test strip. – I thought it was worth trying one of the cheap breathalysers when I saw an article comparing the results with the expensive Ketonix. I worked it out today. – I would guess if I had been using one of the blood testers where you pay for test strips I would have spent over $600 dollars on test strips. 4 months, testing at least 4 times a day soon adds up.
    You may find this article helpful https://fellrnr.com/wiki/Breath_Acetone_Meters
    I did find earlier this year when I had flu that the day before I started to struggle with my breathing I stopped being able to get a reading on the monitor, and returned to getting a reading once the chest infection had cleared.
    My AT6000 has started to going through batteries at a rate of knots and while I feel that I am in ketosis, I can’t get a reading. I have ordered a second today (buying a second is cheaper than buying a bottle of gin :-). Even if I do have to buy one every 4 months, at £10 a pop I still think its good value for money.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi JGwen,
    Sorry I’ve taken so long to respond. My laptop charger gave up the ghost at the end of last week (we seem to be beset by technological problems, at the moment! ) so had to wait for the new charger to arrive.
    Thanks so much for your post. Yes, like you I love my data, and your description of how valuable the info is for you is really helpful. Where I’m at. I started BSD in May 2016 when I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. I did 800 cals and 20g carbs and got my hba1c from very high into the middle of the normal range within a few months. My blood sugars have remained in the normal range ever since. Like you, I continued doing BSD until I’d lost all my excess weight – a few lbs off 6 stone. All good until middle of 2018 when I put 2 stone back on. Now, I’m back to within a few lbs of my healthy BMI.

So, I have the hba1c and track my bgls so know my blood glucose is fine. But now I’m interested in my insulin levels. I’m planning to initially get my insulin levels tested (my GP said no, so probably privately) and then I’m looking at a way of tracking my insulin levels. I saw ketones as a separate issue, but your mention of the Keto Mojo sent me to re-watch the Ben Bikman Bio Hacker interview (I think it was you that originally posted it?) and he identifies measuring ketones as a good proxy for measuring insulin. So, I’m seriously going to consider the breathalyser. Cheers
    Also, best of luck with the research you’re taking part in, and with what sounds like your own fasting experiment running alongside.

Allie – you were asking about my story so this is for you also – again, sorry for the late response.

Hope everyone else is keeping well.
    Jennie xx

on

Hi everyone how are we all? Only 3 weeks to go!!

Cathy I remember you are off on your spa break tomorrow. Have a lovely time. I’d be interested to hear all about Ragdale as I hope to go there this summer as a birthday gift from my Mum 🙂

SueBlue how are you doing? And Kazz how are you getting on now? We miss you on here.

I am making slow and steady progress: now in the range 137-139lb, so moving tantalisingly close to my long-term goal of 133lb. However I go on holiday for 2 weeks as from tomorrow so am hoping I will be able to maintain in that range, but know I usually do put some weight back on. My eating habits are pretty good now, though I definitely consume too much wine on holiday. But I think the main difference is in routine. My normal pattern is to do 16:8 – or most days actually 18:6: I tend to eat a light lunch around 1:15 then evening meal at 7:00pm. But on holiday I kind of get swept into the three meals a day routine. And yes I know I could still skip breakfast as usual but it seems a bit churlish to sit in a hotel breakfast room with family and be the only one not eating anything. But I will do my best to rein it in and find other creative ways to thwart the carb monster!

Hope everyone is doing well and that we all have a wonderful week X

on

DCT- thank you for remembering about my spa break . I am really looking forward to a week away. I love Ragdale Hall and have been many times. It’s expensive but such a lovely place to relax and be pampered and the food and facilities are wonderful. You are doing amazingly well. Well done for getting in the 137 -139 zone. I have not weighed myself for a couple of weeks and don’t plan to do so for a couple more. I have made a conscious decision to enjoy my week away and not be a slave to the scales. When I come back I have nine weeks until my summer holiday to Turkey and have just ordered a book from Amazon entitled “my 8 week diet diary” as when I come back I will be straight back to basics so will be writing everything down etc. After two years following BSD I find what works for me is allowing myself permission to have a break for special occasions. Maybe you could do the same when you are away knowing that when you get back you can get right back to what you know works.
    Enjoy your holiday dreamscometrue. We have worked hard for the last two years and whatever happens in the next two weeks you won’t undo all your hard work even if you do put on a few pounds. It tends to go on quickly but comes off quickly too when we go back to BSD basics. That’s what I love so much about this way of eating.

Although it is 3 weeks until the end of this challenge at Easter I know that most of us won’t be stopping at Easter. We will be following this way of eating forever.

Three months since Kazz started this road trip- it’s flown by. I admit to not being where I had hoped to be but will keep plodding.

Would be great hear how everyone is doing, even if like me, you’re not where you hoped to be by now.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Cathy, Dreams, Jennie, JGwen and everyone 🙂
    Long time no write 🙂 Good to see you all. I’ve also bought one of those breathalysers. Haven’t used it yet. I’ve been up an down the same few pounds for months – you’re not the only one Cathy! Just not been in the right head space, but this week am doing OMAD and by Thurs planning a 48 hr fast. We’ll see how I get on! 🙂
    Hope everyone is keeping well?
    Kazzeexxx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Kazz good to see you back on the forum.

Like you my weight continues to fluctuate around the same level. However I have been continuing to see gradual progress on Inches. = Today is a day to get the pom poms out. – I have finally achieved an inch reduction on my spare tyre at both waist and hip level so I am down to a dress size 16. That’s the smallest I have been since my early teens. Looking I the mirror I think I can get down to a 14 which will be my target for the next road trip. If I achieve it I will have to blow the dust off my sewing machine from here on in, as my shoulder width will not match waist and hip size. – But that’s going to be a good problem to have.

No plans to stop yet, still more squiggy areas to discard but its so uplifting to finally have a way of getting rid of the chunky thighs and spare tyre that I have had to cover up all my life. I was at a meeting today and watched different people waddle across the room, here’s my belly my arse is following as they headed for the display of cakes. I wasn’t tempted to join them, but didn’t stir things up by saying no thanks, today is a fasting day.

I am wearing a movement tracker this week as part of the weight training research project. They want to include statistics on each participants activity levels in the research. – Its funny how knowing someone else will see the level of physical activity undertaken makes me want to make sure the numbers are high. Maybe a good inspiration to get on with the spring clean of my house that I have been meaning to do 🙂

• posted by alliecat
    on

JGwen, this is very exciting news! I’m so pleased for you! I know how hard you have worked, and the knowledge
    you have acquired to reach this point. These forums wouldn’t be the same without you! Thank you so much
    for all that you bring to the community. The continuing loss of inches is spectacular, and I see a nice round 100lbs.
    loss on the scales soon. I know that reflections on the scales isn’t your top priority, but getting back
    to meeting the requirements for competitive riding are. You must be very close now! I wish I had broad shoulders…
    Unfortunately, I’m presently shaped like a banana!

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Kazzee – As JGwen says, it’s great to have you back on this thread where you belong. Hope the OMAD is going well, and the
    fast, too. xx
    JGwen, I’m very excited about this research of yours so you’ll have to keep updating us. Yes, it’s funny, isn’t it, as soon as you know someone is going to be looking at your numbers you want to get them higher.
    Well, I weighed myself yesterday for the first time in over 2 weeks and I’ve lost 3lbs, which means I’m now 10st 4lbs and need to lose 2lb to get to the top of my healthy BMI, so I’m pushing to hit this target by Easter – whenever that is? Although I was over a half-stone lower again when I first did BSD, I’ll be really happy with being just in my healthy weight range for now.
    CC – like you I’ve enjoyed not weighing myself as much recently – I’m measuring how well I’m sticking to, and improving my BSD lifestyle, instead – so I am going to continue to use the scales less for now, too.
    DCT – when I’ve been on holiday I’ve consciously tried to do more exercise – walked more seeing sights, or just on walks, or tried to get in a swim or bike ride (well, no, to be fair only did the bike thing once). It strangely seems to help me keep on the straight and narrow. Enjoy the holiday.
    Jordana – how are you getting on, yes, I’m a bit of a lightweight when it comes to drink, too – never been able to manage much. (Not true, sadly, when it came to crisps or chocolate – but, hey-ho – that’s a thing of the past.). Hope the weight loss is going better for you.
    SueBlue – hope you’re managing OK and your shoulder is on the mend.

Hope everyone else is going well. Have a great weekend.

Jennie xx
    Just noticed there are a lot of hopes in that last bit – oops – but maybe no bad thing.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Allie,
    Thank you for your kind words, unfortunately while I am loosing inches the reading on the scales isn’t going in the direction I would like. – The last dress size loss came with a 2kg gain. 🙁 – I did achieve the 100lb lost mark a few months ago, but it was at the end of a 5 day fasting mimicking diet and of course the next day when I ate it all came back again because most of the loss was fluid and an empty digestive system.
    I have struggled with envy with the final weight that so many people achieve on the forum. Others are joining the forum bemoaning being over 12 stone while I would so like to get down to 14stone. I don’t think its going to happen, I think there is only one more dress size to go on my waist and hips, so even 15 stone will be out of my reach. Thanks Dad for the rugby player body shape. 🙂
    I am so glad that the opportunity come up to be part of this study. The opportunity to measure progress with professional equipment for measuring body composition is so reassuring, combined with the inspiration that being described/viewed as a powerful women is something to aspire to.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

JGwen, you have done so much to educate me and I am sure many others about inches not just scales and how muscle/body reshaping does not always translate into scale discard in fact can show increase. 100lbs discard is amazing and only yesterday you were getting pompoms out for new dress size weren’t you? I am 5’2″ and small frame so getting to 13 1/2 stone really showed and was very unhealthy for me. We are all different. Please don’t be disheartened.

• posted by alliecat
    on

JGwen, I certainly remember the comment from your trainer about being a “powerful woman” and how
    that concept caught your imagination at the time. You may still be working your way toward seeing
    yourself in that light, but that’s just your perception. You are ALREADY that woman in my eyes. I’ve been
    privileged to get to know you off the forums, and I know without equivocation that it’s true 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by JGwen
    on

Thank you Allie and 6Turkeys. I wasn’t getting upset about the final end point with weight, —- much, ——— just replying to Allies comment about getting to the 100lb discarded mark, right now my weight is going up not down. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the weight gained from the muscle increase will be less than than the weight lost from the wobbly bits. But I am not too sure.

Its just typical that I inherit my fathers build when I love a sport where bulk is a negative!!!!
    Weight doesn’t just effect the breed and size of the horse you can ride, it gets really expensive because of all the fine tuning needed to ensure your saddle is not causing your horse to be sore from pressure points caused by the weight of the rider.

I have to blow the dust off of my old horses saddles today and pick one to take to an exercise class this evening. – Pilates for riders, which is being held in the local church hall. – We have to bring our saddles with us for the class. That will be interesting.

on

Hello trippers

Am back from my spa break feeling renewed and raring to go. Didn’t stick to BSD principles whilst away which was a conscious decision. Enjoyed my week but did feel very bloated at times. Haven’t beaten myself up – I think I’ve eaten more in the last week than I have for the last three months! Not been on the scales for a few weeks so jumped on this morning as it’s back to strict 800 BSD from today and am water fasting from last night until lunch time tomorrow- 42 hours. My husband has had the delightful task of measuring my bust, waist, hips, calves and arms this morning and although I think it is difficult to be accurate with the tape measure I will see what happens over the next nine weeks until my holiday to Turkey. I find that allowing myself a week off plan every few months gives me renewed motivation to keep going. I know this way may not suit everyone but for people like me who have strong will power I think it will help keep me on the straight and narrow for a lifetime of BSD. I know I have to think long term in maintenance so allowing myself time out occasionally is helpful. We have to do what is best for us.

JGwen you are a great ambassador for the BSD way of life as well as Allie and Esnecca. You have all lost an incredible amount of weight and are all so helpful with your top tips, research and generosity on the forum.

Good luck to everyone still plodding towards their Easter target. I have today embarked on another round of 8 weeks and today is day 1 of getting back to my goal weight of 133 lb . I was going to join one of the other threads but I know everyone here and as I am not new to BSD will continue to be one of Kazz’s trippers and hope that some of us move to a new thread after Easter to continue our journey. Hope Kazz will be able to join us too. The last sixteen weeks haven’t proved to be very fruitful for me to be perfectly honest but I did get to 138 lb after Christmas so at least I have kept on the straight and narrow. Just need to get my post spa blip sorted in the next week or so and keep plodding!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Have reported to moderators that we have another individual trying to use the forum for marketing.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

My gosh they are so blatant and wow it is gone! Awesome💞🦜

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Jennie – thanks for asking how my shoulder is going, I’m gradually feeling less pain and gaining more movement. A big achievement in the last few days is being able to tie up my hair, my daughters have been doing it for me. I’ve also started cooking again. Physio starts next week, but in the meantime I’m doing some gentle exercises to prevent stiffness. I can stop wearing a sling on Monday so looking forward to that 🙂
    It sounds like you are going great Jennie, keep going and I’m sure you’ll be in your healthy BMI range soon.
    CC – glad you enjoyed your spa break, it sounds lovely. Your plan to have breaks sounds like a sensible one, I’m sure it is better for the body this way (as well as the mind).
    Well this road trip has been an unusual one for me, although there is a week to go I realise there is no way I’ll reach my original goal. When I started the trip at the beginning of January I didn’t expect that I’d be dealing with death, ,illness and injury!
    It hasn’t been all bad. Last week when I weighed myself I had lost a few hundred grams more so total weight loss since Christmas has been about 3kg. Not a huge amount but my weight loss graph shows a steady downward trend.
    My plan is to eat sensibly over Easter and then re-focus and re-start BSD properly on 28 April.
    Good luck to everyone else on the trip 🙂

on

Hi everyone! Just back from a lovely 2 week road trip round Scotland and northern England. Feel exhausted and relaxed at the same time – and very fired up for some of the changes that are happening for me over the next few months. I know I have put some weight back on – jeans feel tight etc. So am going to try not to weigh myself till Friday – the end of this phase of the road trip. That way I won’t get too discouraged. I’m hoping by Friday to be back in the 137-139lb range but given I am working in the dark right now I have no real idea how realistic that is!

But I do then need to do a month’s blitz from Easter to Saturday 25th May when I go away again with my daughter to celebrate a hugely big birthday. And if I have not managed to finally get to my 133lb goal by then (after 2 and 1/3 years on BSD) I will be SO frustrated with myself!!!! So would be happy to join (or set up) a month’s extended road trip from Easter to May half term if anyone is up for that?

Cathy I’m so glad you had a good break at Ragdale Hall and look forward to updates on your progress. SueBlue – wow you have had so much to contend with this stretch of our journey, and well done for an overall downward trend: I’m sure I would have piled on pounds by now with comfort eating and drinking! Hi to everyone else on this thread too and hope you’re doing ok. Hope we can all continue our journey after Easter into pastures new X

• posted by Happyhel35
    on

Hello all!! I’m only 6 days in and would love a road trip pleasseee. In particular by the end of May for my hugeeeee family celebration where i will be significantly slimmer 😀

on

DCT – glad you enjoyed your holiday. Any weight you gained will be off as soon as you get back to basics. I am sure there will be a few of us keen to continue our journey and like you I am aiming to get to 133 lb. I have been very strict this week and did a 42 hour fast at the beginning of the week and have been text book BSD all week. I want to get to my goal weight by 9th June when I go on holiday to Turkey. I’ve got 7lb to lose. Let’s have our Easter weigh in on Good Friday morning and take it from there. I basically have maintained during this challenge- went up, went down, went up again and hopefully going down before Friday- might end up one or two pounds lighter than when I started in January!!!!
    Keep going everyone, the alternative is not an option if we want to keep the weight we have lost from going on.

on

Hi Happyhel35 and welcome! You will find us a friendly bunch, all at various stages in terms of weight loss and our BSD journey. We all approach it differently, some on a very scientific and well-researched basis, others on more trial and error. But everyone has plenty of help and experience to offer. The thing I really like about this thread is that it is very open and honest – and non-judgemental when we do wander off the beaten track for a while!

If you are completely new to the BSD then I think there is some useful advice somewhere towards the start of this thread. The main thing is not to compare yourself to others but to find what works for you – and that in itself may differ from time to time. Hopefully being so near the start you will chalk up a nice bit of weight loss to start with, but don’t worry if it then slows down (or sometimes seems to stop altogether!) Everything is normal here 🙂

Cathy I definitely want to keep going so maybe we start a summer holidays road trip after this one? I think there are probably several on this trip who would also like to continue. I turn 60 at the end of this month and had hoped to finally get to my 133lb goal by then. I don’t think that’s going to happen now but do hope to get there in time for my next holiday at the end of May.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend? SueBlue, KazzUK, Jennie10, Jordan, JGwen, six turkeys, alliecat how are you all doing? And JGwen did you find a saddle for your Pilates for riders class? I loved the sound of that 🙂

• posted by JGwen
    on

I will be up for continuing down the road for summer. – Does anyone have a particular date in mind or shall we simply head for the start of July?

Hi Dreamscometrue, I did blow the dust of my old boys randonnee saddle, and was a little embarrassed by turning up with a well worn, and unclean saddle in comparison to all the latest gadgets and high end saddles the others had with them complete with saddle protectors. But in the end it became a conversation piece, as they hadn’t seen a French custom made saddle designed for long trail rides before.
    The class this week was very different, lots of exercises on mats and standing focusing on stretching and flexability in the saddle., its only going to be a 4 week long course because the instructor can’t fit in doing more classes. – Which is a pity as we are all enjoying it, so we are trying to find a way of holding additional classes but I don’t know that there are that many Equestrian Pilates tutors.
    Thankfully I had been to weight training the day before so was not as sore as I would have been if I had tried to combine the two on the same day. I find that the leg presses and chest pulls at weight training don’t cause sore muscles (even though I am working at weights where I can not complete 3 x 10 reps) but the chest press is using muscles that I don’t normally work so they are sore for a couple of days afterwards.
    I am noticing an increase in fitness levels, when I walked around the fields yesterday I could walk at a faster pace without needing to stop for a break (under the cover of stopping to admire the views).

• posted by alliecat
    on

You always leave us with a bit of wit at the end of your posts, JGwen,. I really enjoy it! You have all”bonded” so well
    on this thread, and I think it would be marvelous if one of you came up with a a new set of dates and a title that
    incorporated the phrase “Road Trip” in it. I am delighted to fly by from time to time to see how everyone is doing!
    It’s the best way I have to see how everyone is doing! Can you believe it? Only one more week to go 🙂

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi All,
    Hi Happyhel35 and welcome from me, too. I’ve been reading and enjoying your posts. I’ve always found it helpful to have targets too, and your family get together sounds like a great one, especially as you’ll be so much slimmer!

SueBlue – hope the sling came off on Monday and the physio is helping. It’s certainly been a tricky road trip for you but it sounds like a good plan for Easter and onwards. Btw, I envy you having hair to tie up, even with all the glorious benefits of this woe, my hair is still thin and straggly!

JGwen – like Dreamscometrue, I love the sound of the Pilates for Riders class. Dreamscometrue, wouldn’t you have loved some photos!. I also enjoyed the description of your saddle versus the others – it made me smile.
    When you were talking about your HiiT training recently it reminded me of a video I saw by Ted Naiman (or something like that). I’ve always been put off high-intensity training because I’ve only ever seen MM running very fast on the spot, or pedalling furiously, but this was very slow and deliberate. I’m going to find it and post it. I’ll be interested to see if it’s similar to some of what you do.

Dreamscometrue – glad you enjoyed your other road trip. I love Scotland and my husband would go there every year.

Well, I weighed myself this morning for the first time in a week and a half and I’ve lost 3lbs! At 10st 1lb, I’m now back in my BMI healthy weight range – woohoo! I’m only just back in there – 10 stone 2lb is the top of the range – but I’m happy with that for now.
    More importantly, I’m fully back into my BSD/low carb and exercise routine.

I’ve been doing BSD, both weight loss and maintenance, since May 2016. I got my Type II back into the normal range within the first four months. I’ve stayed eating low carb so my Type II has remained in remission throughout. But, having lost just under 6 stone and maintained for 20 months I regained 2 stone plus last year. I’m not quite back at my lowest weight yet, but being back in the BMI healthy weight range is a nice boost. As is getting my lovely slim ankles back again!
    I’m sure I’ll lose a few more pounds but for now I’m going to focus on maintenance – the tricky bit for me – I might read through Allie’s posts to get some tips – happy anniversary Allie.

Cathy, I’d also like to keep going. I’ve been really busy lately with family and then doing a one-off piece of paid work – deadline was yesterday! – so I haven’t been around as much as I’d like. But, hopefully I’ll be around more for the next road trip. Will weigh in again on Friday, too. Is that Good Friday?

Kazz – Hope you’re good xx .

• posted by caronl
    on

Just popping in to say CONGRATULATIONS to Jennie10 on getting back into the BMI healthy range. I bet that feels brilliant. x

• posted by Denise susan
    on

Hi fellow travelers
    I have been completely lost this trip!! I have found my way back via the ring road!! Long way round!! Anyway back on it now with 3 stone to loose and my micro health to find! On the surface all is good but I haven’t checked my bg level for months which isn’t good!!
    3 years ago I lost 3 stone which didn’t reverse my type 2 and now I need to do the same again no excuses 6 months! By Friday I want to be back into the 12’s or by Monday if not possible. I have got to do this. I am happy to continue the journey with you lovely people. I would love to step up and would usually make the joke about want something doing give it to a busy person but on this occasion I have decided to put myself first and not strap on anymore to my already heavy load as I need to focus on me. Writing this feels weird but if I am going to be successful I know I have to be more selfish & a little more inwardly focused. Roll on tomorrow, next week, next month 100% no excuses for me this is the only way. I need to hold myself to account & waste no more time!!

on

Hello everyone and Happy Wednesday! Jennie what great news about your latest loss and well done for getting into the healthy BMI range. I’m also amazed you previously lost 6 stone – that’s phenomenal! I’m sure you’ll shed the rest of your regained weight very soon.

Welcome back Denise susan: sounds like a long diversion but you are now back in the right place and we will definitely be continuing our road trip after this weekend!

Hope everyone is doing well and looking forward to a big celebration at the end of our trip on Friday. As several have said, we may not be quite where we wanted to be due to all kinds of circumstances and wanderings – but we are still here and still keeping on. We’re in it for the long haul! X

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hello all – it’s time I came back. I’ve had a couple of months’ break with the occasional pop in, but as we come to the end of this trip, I just wanted to wish everyone well and high five everyone’s achievements – more than can be said for my own, I confess to having pretty much stayed the same give or take a few pounds.
    Looking forward to seeing you on the next trip! 🙂
    Have a lovely Easter break everyone.
    Kazzeexx

• posted by JGwen
    on

So how long do we want the next road trip to last for folks? two months, three months or four months, to the start of the summer holidays?

on

Hi JGwen and everyone else who wants to continue this journey together.

How about we do another 12 weeks – which by my reckoning if we start tomorrow that will take us up to Saturday 13th July? Would that work?

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone
    I would be happy to join you on the next road trip .I don’t post quite so often as I frequently host the weekly thread but I always read your posts !
    I break up early July and have a week in Sardinia but I will be travelling with you util then and throughout the summer !

Please log in or register to post a reply.