Just wanted to say Hi All! Started BSD on Sunday

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lisas nanny
    on

Hi Everyone

Wasn’t sure where to start so posted on the SBSD forum on Tuesday.

Little bit of background info. Middle aged couple, living in Holland and following BSD since Sunday; amazing hubby who’s diabetic – on diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol meds, 15 kilos overweight, picky, and struggling a little without his morning and afternoon snacks while at work – up at 4.30am home at 7pm.

Me – 25 kilos overweight, not diabetic or on meds but according to tests will be if I carry on with current unhealthy way of eating; not so picky but unemployed and at home all day, lazy person (only exercise wise lol) with no small kids to run round after. Awaiting Fitbit arriving Saturday. Lord knows how I’m gonna manage 5,000 steps never mind 10,000.

Goal: get fit and healthy, and would love to surprise our daughter with decent weight loss and looking good when visiting in August – not to mention fitting in some decent gear for a change instead of wearing a huge coat in summer lol.

That about sums it up. Oh, so far I’m down 5lbs and hubby 3lbs.

Would like to say big thanks for all the advice given so far, massive congrats to everyone who has lost weight and good luck to all who like us, are just starting out.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Lisa’s nanny!! welcome to the forums! It does get easier as time goes by. Michael Mosley says the first two weeks are the hardest so you will have lots of energy soon.

Don’t worry too much about steps, Dr Mosley says build them up over the days and weeks. Some days I mange 16000 steps (round town) sometimes just 3000. It all evens out in the end! But quite often the lower steps days are more physical – like Bill building garden structures, painting fences etc Me digging over the veg patches and weeding. Or standing all day cooking!!

Some people are losing a lot of weight without really doing any form of exercise!!

When your ‘fat’ clothes start dropping off you (oh yes!!!) you will really enjoy getting new clothes which fit more snugly and show off your new figure!!

So good luck and build those steps a step at a time – pun intended!!

BTW I love Holland! Lovely country and lovely people ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Chocolate_ee
    on

Hope it’s going well for you Lisas nanny – I’m right behind you , started on Tuesday.

I haven’t managed 10,000 steps yet – more like between 4000 – 5000 but they’re increasing bit by bit . I’m obsessed with looking at my FitBit readouts – it’s getting beyond a joke … as if by looking at it my steps will magically increase ! And the sleep patterns are fascinating too – I had to laugh this morning when my FitBit told me that I’d walked 0.04 miles since midnight! That’s me going to the loo at least twice a night – it must be all that water , so every cloud has a silver lining.

God Luck.

• posted by Cdngirl
    on

I wanted to jump in somewhere. I’ve been lurking on the forums and so impressed with the advice, support and warmth of everyone.

I’m a Tofi and have been unable to lose weight and the fat around my middle despite eating processed free. I’ve been following this plan for a week and a half and have lost 6 pounds so far. Yeah!! My mother was a type 2 diabetic and I’ve always been deathly afraid of ending up the same. My sugar last tested was borderline high.

My goal .. is to become acquainted with my hip bones again… Lol… Is that bad? ๐Ÿ˜„

I’ll keep lurking and feeling encouraged.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Lurkers always welcome!๐Ÿ˜œ

• posted by Lisas nanny
    on

Thanks for the welcome guys ๐Ÿ˜€

Best of luck Chocolate_ee. I can’t wait for my Fitbit to arrive, and if it works like yours, with luck I might not have to do any steps during the day ๐Ÿ˜. Think I heard the words dream on lol……….
    Which model do you have?

Thanks hashimoto; Sadly I think I HAVE to exercise this time. 3 years ago I lost 40 kilos (not sure how many st/lbs – think I’ve been here too long lol) doing a high protein low carb diet, and NO exercise. Got down to size 12 jeans, was chuffed to bits and quite proud ๐Ÿ˜Š when I looked in the mirror (specially for my age). After losing my job and through crappy eating I put back on 25 of the 40 – my mum always said “if a jobs worth doing, it’s worth doing well” and I sure made good job of this one lmao ๐Ÿ˜‚.
    So, I’m finding it harder to lose this time, and suspect even with masses of exercise I’m going to have dreaded s—y bits (๐Ÿค can’t even manage the word but it’s got 2 x g in the middle) cos all my elastic’s gone ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ณ
    I’ve asked myself whatever possessed me to get to this point again, but I’m still waiting for the answer lol.

Suffice to say I’m on the ball now – and I’m gonna build those steps a step at a time!

• posted by Chocolate_ee
    on

Mine’s the Flex . I’m loving it but haven’t yet worked out how to input everything … Now if it could calories and carbs , i would be impressed ! How easy would that be ! Just imagine , you could programme it to beep when you’d reached your daily limit.

Your story sounds similar to mine . I lost 7 stone on Lighter Life 5 years ago and put every pound back on after being diagnosed with Osteoarthritis . Had both my knees replaced so exercise isn’t as easy as it used to be.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Welcome cdngirl! You’re part of the bsd family so no need to lurk!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Cdngirl
    on

Thanks for the welcome. I thought I would throw myself in with another starter. The more the merrier. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Lisas nanny
    on

Evening Chocolat_ee

That’s one awful lot of weight to lose, 7 stone yikes! Wish I could say my gain was due to something other than stupidity lol.

I’ve just ordered the alta, only because that one is supposed to give you reminders to get off your butt and move every hour, so we’ll see how it goes. It’s not that I hate exercise or walking etc, i do think it’s more fun with someone else; but the real problem is if the temp goes over 18 degrees I sweat terribly, runs down my face, my hair is soaking wet, face like a beetroot etc, which makes me feel absolutely exhausted. Of course it was put down to weight first but it didn’t change when I lost it; then the menopause but now I’m over that and still have the same problem, now 7 years and counting.
    Everyone looks forward to summer but I absolutely dread it – happy days eh lol.

Just a thought, re the calories issue, have you tried syncing your flex to the My Fitness Pal app? I’ve been reading that the Fitbits work along with it.

Anyway off to bed cos I’m a little hungry. I do hope exercise becomes a little easier for you soon.

• posted by Lisas nanny
    on

Hi Cdngirl,
    Missed your post earlier, welcome from another newbie, and well done on your great weight loss!

Love the hip bones comment, same here, and I’d like to add my collar bones too lol.

Night night

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lisas nanny, you sound so motivated! Building daily steps is the way to go – it’s surprising how much fitter it can make you feel ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Chocolate_ee
    on

I had a look at the My Fitness Pal app last week and couldn’t work it out at all but that was before I started monitoring my Fitbit so it may make more sense now . I like the fact that yours reminds you to move ! I’d like mine to remind me to drink water although I feel like I’m constantly drinking as it is but never enough ! Think I’m racking up the steps just going to the loo all the time !

• posted by bumblebee
    on

Hi All,

Also new on here and saw this thread so thought I’ll give it a go – Got the book last week, read it twice, Last weekend I threw out all the yukkies from my food cupboard and ended up eating some of it, I’m on my 4th day now doing the 800 calorie diet with real foods not shakes.

Initially I was really concerned that 800 calories wouldn’t be enough and I’d be hungry and fail. So far I’m really ok, not feeling like i’m starving, have increased energy already and feel like I can do this. A challenge today as I’m meeting a friend after work but just to make sure I have enough support I’ve told her about my eating plan and she’s really supportive.

Any tips for a new starter?

Lisas nanny you have motivated me to start counting my steps – putting on so much weight has given me this terrible back pain I never had before and I feel if I start walking a little while on the diet I can definitely get the added benefits from it.

for counting calories my phone doesnt have enough memory for a fitness app so I’ve got a small notebook that fits in my bag and write everything down. I’m really impressed how in control I feel – feels really good and having all this amazing support and great tips is fantastic!

Great to meet you all!

Bumblebee

xxx

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Welcome to the forums Bumblebee ๐Ÿ™‚

If you are meeting up with your friend for a meal most meals are ok if you skip the carbs. Steak, chicken, fish , soup, burgers. Etc with no chips, rice, potatoes or bread.
    I always explain to the waiter that I am on a special diet so I can’t have starchy carbs on my plate ๐Ÿ™‚

I have back problems and go to a pilates for bad backs class recommended by my physio. If you look up slipped discs on the NHS site there is a short video of simple back exercises which relieve pain/discomfort and gently help with core muscle strength : )

• posted by Chocolate_ee
    on

Welcome Bumblebee – sounds like you’re doing great. Had to laugh at your eating some of the food you were chucking out ! I did exactly the same. I found myself nibbling on stray cashew nuts and stale cornflakes that had escaped from their packaging – what was I thinking ?!

I had a sneaky weigh this morning and discovered , if the scales are to be believed that I’ve lost 4 KG – but then I know from having done Lighter Life that this can fluctuate during the day so I’m not taking it too seriously .

I also discovered a great snack which really satisfied me when then hunger pangs kicked in mid afternoon yesterday ( my weak time of day ) from a tip on another board – bought some Marigold Bouillon which is negligible carbs and cals in fact I”m not even going to include it in my daily total it’s so tiny. Just holding a mug of steaming salty vegetable broth made me feel great – something to wrap my tastebuds around when the going gets tough . Worked a treat.

I still find myself obsessing about food every minute of the day but I”m hoping that will pass . I just need to stay busy.

Good luck everyone.

• posted by bumblebee
    on

Hi Hashimoto,

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Thanks for the meal tip too – I’m a bit worried I wont be able to count the exact amount of calories but I’m happy not eating the carbs and great tip telling them i’m on a special diet ๐Ÿ™‚

I have issues with my sacro iliac joint which gives me back pain so will look up on the NHS maybe the slipped disc exercises can help as well. Stretching used to help but now my tummy gets in the way of a good stretch so I cant get to where I need to be to ease the pain – one of my big motivations to get the belly fat gone!

• posted by bumblebee
    on

Is there like a Facebook Group where BSD followers are getting together?

• posted by bumblebee
    on

Hi Chocolate-ee

Thanks for the welcome yeah I know what you’re saying – I found 4 stray coco pops and ate them! then thought to myself eeeuuuwww what if spiders crawled on them.

For me it was the thinking that ‘uh oh not going to eat this ever again let me just eat it now so I don’t regret not eating it when I throw it out’

I even threw a macaroon into the bag then fished it out and threw it out again and then spent a few minutes staring at it thinking – my friend brought it all the way from France…..glad to say I didn’t eat it ha ha ha

Wow I love this Marigold Bullion idea, I have trouble in the afternoon as well. Where can I find it?

My breakfasts I have down to T – I have not deviated because I don’t feel hungry or lethargic or grumpy at all, no headaches either. Protein shake with 1g of carbs per serving and 20g protein, just 103 calories + 3 slices of Sainsbury’s pastrami 36 calories + black coffee with a teaspoon of coconut oil 39 calories.

From my last 2 years on LCHF diet my health and energy were at their best so I’m blending those concepts with the BSD and staying under 800 calories per day.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Bumblebee, I have recurring problems with my sacroiliac joint rotating out of position. I found a good remedial sports therapy massage practitioner who can work it back into place. She also does pressure point massage to release muscles and ligaments.

If you are somewhere which serves an all day breakfast it is fairly easy to calculate the calories on the plate. I go for one egg, bacon, tomato and mushrooms or a sausage. If I do that I skip breakfast to save up some calories. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Chocolate_ee
    on

I picked up the Bouillon from Tescos but most supermarkets should have it . This one was the vegan one but I think there are others. I can’t tell you what a smile it put on my face – daft really . If I’d thought a week ago that I would be grinning over the prospect of a cup of watery soup I’d have thought I’d gone bonkers !

Suggestions for starters … how about smoked salmon – just looked it up – a small portion ( 50g ) is only 92 cals and zero carbs .

• posted by bumblebee
    on

Oh wow Hashimoto please please please tell me you’re in London so I can go see this practitioner….crossing fingers and ankles now!
    I love this all day breakfast idea!!! Don’t like sausage coz I’m always panicky on how much cereal and carbs go into it. Do you think it would be ok doing egg, tomato, mushrooms and beans? – yummy weekend brunch idea!

I get so obsessed thinking of food and looking at food websites its kooky.

Hahaha I hear you Chocolate_ee!

Last night I chopped up some veg, added a packet of bernard matthews roast chicken cut up, threw it into a big bowl and topped it up with boiling water and half a stock cube – felt like fine dining and I was never ever a soup person. It was so delicious and under a 200 calories, didn’t know what to do with myself after because I knew I needed to eat my calorie allowance or I’d get hungry. Ended up boiling an egg and eating it just like that ๐Ÿ™‚

Smoked Salmon and avocado with courgetti is on list of meal options for this weekend….I love this indulgent idea of smoked salmon for breakfast, reminds me of Christmas!

• posted by Chocolate_ee
    on

Sausages can be tricky – go for the bacon instead with any fat cut off. There’s the weirdest ‘recipe’ in the BSD book described as cheesy beans – yuk. If you can eat that you can probably have baked beans although I’d have thought they would be high in carbs ( just looked them up – but annoyingly it only gives their calorie value on toast ) .

I bought a ‘Carbs and Cals’ book on Amazon ( endorsed by Diabetes Uk ) which gives pictures of portion sizes of every conceivable food – and pics of what you can eat out too . I’m finding it invaluable. It’s here if anyone’s interested.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1908261153/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’m going away for the weekend to a friend’s and I”m dreading falling off the wagon – I need an iron resolve and nerves of steel ! But she keeps chickens so eggs will be in plentiful supply – it’s just the curry she suggested tomorrow evening but I’m going to stick to chicken tandoori – no rice .

• posted by Chocolate_ee
    on

Oh …meant to say I’ve started a blog . If you fancy having a look it’s here…
    http://bsdjourney.blogspot.co.uk

I find that writing about things helps keep me on track … well that’s the theory !

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Bumblebee, in cafe’s/restaurants you tend to only get a spoonful of baked beans. They are carby but if you are careful about what you eat the rest of the day there is no reason why not. Or you could always have two eggs with bacon, tomatoes and mushrooms. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sadly I’m not in London but if I were you I would ask around and do some internet searching. There is bound to be someone in your area who does the remedial sports massage therapy and if you are lucky can also do the manipulation or
    you could go to a sports massage therapist and then to an osteopath for the manipulation of the sacroiliac joint. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Chocolate_ee
    on

Just back form a weekend away . I have to laugh I now realise that because it summed up my ‘ seige mentality’ to food. ie. I always think that If I can’t eat I may die !

So I set off very early on Saturday with a berry and almond milk shake and a coffee to keep me company on the 2 hour journey. But then as soon as I arrived in Cambridge I had an hour to kill so ended up wolfing down a cooked breakfast – managed to steer clear of toast etc but still managed to put away 2 slices of bacon , tomato, mushroom and a poached egg … and it was only 9am !

Anyway , won’t bore you with the detail but let’s just say I manage to clock up around 1300 cals during the day ( both Saturday and today ) but managed to keep carbs below 50gs o not all bad. Also had the smallest glass of red wine in the evening ( staying with some very boozy friends ! ) which I managed to sip slowly throughout the entire evening.

I also bought a very lovely top from a favourite shop which I haven’t been able to buy from for years as they don’t go up to a size 20 in a size 16 as incentive.

I daren’t weigh myself tonight but I am very philosophical about it , not going to beat myself up about it , tomorrow is another day etc etc ! My first week will be up on Tuesday morning so I’m going to wait to weigh myself then.

Hope you’re all enjoying the sunshine – those in the UK and those who aren’t probably have sunshine anyway ! It’s a rare treat for us !

Please log in or register to post a reply.