Just seven days ….. 2 litres a day.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

I have just had six days away and boy did I have a ‘rude awakening’! My summer clothes seem to have shrunk!
    I am a few pounds lighter than this time last year but I seem to have ‘spread’ probably from all the sitting down binge watching tv and jigsawing. Anyway, it’s definitely time to review, renew and take myself in hand. I need to be accountable, so here I am … yet again ….. just for 7 days…. my promise is to have at least 2 litres of water/green tea every day.
    It would be great to have company ….. for just 7 days!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi V great to see you back but not great that you have to come back. Everyone is welcome here. There is a weekly thread that started today called One Week At A Time 8th June. That might be somewhere for you to join.

I for one am happy to join you because I have a doctors appointment and need to lose another kilo by this time next week. I will log in with daily progress. You say your clothes dont fit but you are lighter so it might just need a few adjustments and hydration is a great place to start.

Today I am exactly 75kgs. So here we go.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi s-g great to have your company this week. I’ve just realised I missed my 5th anniversary yesterday, although I did post a few days before that looking for support to start. Yours must have been a week or so ago …. hope you celebrated!I have to say I’ve always had great support and help along the way on this forum and I appreciate it very much.

S-g I started the ‘one week at a time’ threads way back in 2018!!! It’s great that you Wendy and Sunny are continuing them because I think they provide a wonderful platform for many people. But, for me, at the moment, I find the constant talk of losing/gaining the odd smidgeon of a pound here and there a bit demoralising. Sorry about that because I know the thread really helps so many people. So I’m ‘back to basics’ and just trying to rehydrate this week and then, hopefully, moving on next week to improving another aspect of BSD.

It’s funny how this ‘way of eating’ really does become a ‘way of life’ after a while but it does. Whilst we were away I ate an odd piece of toast, two new potatoes, first potatoes in five years! , even a croissant!!! Yet I didn’t gain even one ounce. I thought I might have some water weight but I obviously didn’t eat too many carbs overall. Yes, it certainly is a balancing act.
    So day 1 and I’ve managed my 2 litres …. hurray! I can’t believe how easy it is to ‘forget’ to drink water… onwards and upwards …. tomorrow is another day …. here’s to 2 litres!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Just wanted to drop in to say Hi, Verano. I understand why you don’t think the weekly thread is right for you at present. I confess as someone who is pretty much at target, maintaining and not making any real effort to get back to basics, I don’t always feel comfortable there myself.
    Good to know you are still around and will be posting again and I’ll keep watch for your future posts and maybe join you at some point. Anyway, I hope your refocusing and efforts to return to basics has the desired effect.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Sunny good to hear from you. Yes do join in as and when. Strange but I do find some threads demotivating at the moment but that’s just the stage I’m at. I just need to get back onto the ‘water wagon’, one day, one step forward at a time and hopefully I’ll become a fully fledged, paid up member of the BSD club again soon!
    S-g …. must be losing the plot I though it was July! So haven’t missed our 5th anniversary after all!
    Well day 2 for me, 500ml of water staring at me so here goes ……

on

V your post chimed a note with me as I realise I am not drinking enough liquid. This spurred me to do a count so 1 water with vinegar on waking followed by 1 green tea. Then nothing until after lunch when I have 2 coffees. Take afternoon meds with a glass of water. But then I realised I drink around 4 or 5 glasses of water in the evening and one before going to bed. Quick cal gives me around 9 or 10glasses per day which is around 2 litres so not doing too bad. Still need to increase as it is getting hotter here so had one with lunch today.

Yes you are getting your dates wrong. I started on the 28th June 2016 and I think you had already started – correct me. I remember back then there were only about 30 of us and we were considered pioneers of this diet which was a god send for diabetics. No talk of his other plans back then although I think the Fast800 did exist. I have just looked on Sparkpeople where I used to do a blog when I started this diet and it was a bit of an eyeopener. I ate so much less than I do now. When I reach my anniversary date I am going to publish my Day 1 blog. It might be of interest to newbies as it shows how frightened I was but how determined. I am also going to go back through the food diary I kept and reproduce it and following again starting from Friday after I have done my weekly shop.

I will post some of this on the weekly thread which I stick with. I stay mainly to help other people as I worry about diabetics not getting the right advice although that is not really the case now as there are people here who know what they are talking about. Although, having said that I cant think of any other oldies who are in that category. I also stay because I still have some way to go to reaching both weight and diabetic goals. I lost 25lbs in the first rounds of the diet and I am around that now give or take depending on the weekends. So I would really like to push to get a few more goals under my belt.

Hope your health is still good – sounds as though you are doing great.

on

Just seen a post revived about using the shakes and the name Ensecca jumped out at me. That was back in 2017. Also remember CaptainLynne.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Strangely enough, when I take a mini-brain-break in the middle of the working day and check on these forums, it reminds me to drink water (I have a water bottle next to me on my desk).
    I also drank about 2 litres in the space of about 4 hours on Monday evening, followed by 2 paracetamol, after my second COVID jab, and I had no side-effects this time round.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning. Day 2 was abysmal for me with just 1ltr of liquids …. just how can you forget to drink…. I don’t know…. but I seem to be quite good at it! Today I will make a greater conscious effort to drink 2ltrs.

Well done Ruby. I have a bottle in front of me too but it just doesn’t seem to register!

Yes I’m fine thanks s-g still in T2 remission which is well over 4 years now. Ah yes, Captain Lynne, she was my role model and hero. I often wonder how she’s doing these days. ‘Never one step backwards’ Esnecca was remarkable in her discipline and she came up with some ingenious ways of cutting carbs. Of course there was Allie, Krysia, Kazz, Caron (?still posting?), California girl & Frog, to name but a few.

I use to use FatSecret but somehow lost my account so don’t have a record of my food when we first started but I remember making vegetarian puttanesca with courgetti and even weighing lettuce so I guess I was also eating a lot less back then. I know in my heart that my portion sizes are too large so when I’ve conquered water drinking I’ll address my portion size.

S-g I started a week after you on July 7th 2016. You are doing really well to get back to your 25lb loss again but even more importantly you have dropped your insulin dramatically since you first reached your 25lb loss. Huge great pat on the back for you.

I think I just have to make sure I log everything I eat and drink on FatSecret again and work out where I’m going wrong. I just have to be more ‘mindful’ and stop eating out of boredom rather than hunger!

Anyway, let’s all have a good well hydrated day!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi V, like you and SG I started in 2016 and remember Caotain Lyn and the others you name checked …. hopefully they are all doing well. I think we can all be confident Esneca is still walking the walk, her determination was second to none and a very inspirational. As indeed are you, having maintained and held your T2 in remission for years … that’s a huge achievement and will inspire others I’m sure.

Historically I too have been an ‘under-hydrator’. To help me rectify that, being retired and at home a lot I put in place a regime, whereby everytime I was in the kitchen I made myself drink a glass of water. I also bought huge cups/mugs for coffee/tea and as soon as one is finished, I make another.

Having said all that, yesterday I managed not to drink enough, waking up feeling hungover, so will be extra vigilant about drinking plenty today. Hope your hydration day goes well today.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Sunny looks like we’re the Three Musketeers…. you, me and s-g!!!!
    Are there any other members of the class of 2016 out there? We might end up as Robin Hood and his Merry Men!

• posted by Verano
    on

Day 4. Well day 3 was better than day 2 but still not good enough. Who would have thought that such a simple thing like drinking water would prove to be so difficult. Today I WILL drink my full quota of 2lts.

on

I dropped a bit short yesterday as I was shopping in the morning so didnt finish my breakfast cup of tea – it is green tea and I always drink it cold. I think I made up for it in the evening but didnt reach 2 litres. Will do better today as it is very hot and I need cold water all the time. Already on my 3rd glass since lunch.

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g you did better than me! I managed 1.5ltrs yesterday but you have reminded me that I always do better when I use a ‘glass’ to drink from. I tend to drink bottled water from the fridge and find I forget to drink it, so I’m taking a nice glass out of the cupboard to use today. Off to have my first 250mks! Have a good day.

on

Hi V, I am doing okay although a v&t slipped in in place of a water but just the one. Still managed around 8 glasses. I have a pretty 2 litre glass jug in the fridge and aim to empty it every day. And yes, I usually do have to top it up so I do get through it. As it is hot here I am aiming for 2.5 litres.

on

Should have said, I like my water cold but not ice cold. Also, leaving it to stand in the fridge (or out doesnt matter) helps the chemicals disapate and it loses that chloriney smell.

• posted by Verano
    on

Posting a little late today because we had some friends here for lunch …. WOW …. a little bit of ‘normality’. It’s amazing how quickly you slip back into what was once ‘normal’ but also how quickly you forget about the isolation of the last 16 months!
    S-g you are doing really well. I can’t image 2.5ltrs I’m still at least one away from there. Today I enjoyed some sparkling water for the first time in a while. I always used to drink sparkling and definitely found it easier to drink, again probably because I drink it in a glass not from the bottle! I’m sure your one v&t won’t have done any damage and I guess everyone needs a treat’ ( unless your Esnecca) now and again! I had a tablespoon of ice cream today. I can’t actually remember the last time I ate ice cream but I did enjoy it, although I found it quite sweet and one tablespoon was definitely enough!
    So Sunday is almost over and just one day of this seven to go. I think I will travel on for a further week in the hope that I make better progress. They say it takes 21 days to form/break a habit so looks like I’m going to need all 21!

• posted by Verano
    on

Last day of my first ‘water drinking’ week so I’m determined to make those elusive 2 litres!
    Have a good Monday.

on

Hi there, it is very hot here so I have definitely been drinking plenty of water. I had a green tea, strawberry and spinach smoothie for breakfast so that counts as 1 drink plus my water for medication and a mug of green tea. Water with lunch, 2 coffees and took a bottle of water out with me and finished it in the car. Just going to make another green tea (which I always drink cold) and another glass of water. So that adds up to around 8 glasses already. Keep going V, you will get back into the habit.

• posted by Verano
    on

Tuesday … day 1 of week 2! Think I’ll be here for a while yet.
    S-g I drink green jasmine tea but I’ve never tried it cold. Do you have it just cold or iced? I have some orange and lemon black tea and a green mint tea which are quite nice. I think Wendy is a serious tea drinker. I must experiment a bit more. Maybe iced mint tea will be good…. will give it a try.
    Have a good day!

• posted by Verano
    on

Wednesday has been a good day for me at last. My secret is very cold water with some lemon in a glass. It’s amazing what a difference a glass makes. Let’s hope Thursday is as good.

on

V. Hubby gets up earlier than me and makes me a green tea and just leaves it for me. I always let it go cold but, no, it is not iced tea. Feeling a bit down today as my weight has let me down and I have gained 2lbs overnight. Hopefully it will have gone by the time I see the doctor on Friday. Fingers crossed.

• posted by Verano
    on

Oh! s-g that’s so disappointing but ….. hey … you know better than most that up one day down the next is par for the course. Just maybe you’re a little bit dehydrated because of the high temperatures and your body is clinging on to ‘water’ at the moment. Doctor ‘gorgeous’ can’t fail to be impressed with your progress and as long as your BS is ok then all will be fine. After all you’ve cut back on your insulin phenomenally.
    I’ve found some lovely ice tea recipes so think I will give one a try tomorrow but I think I will cut down on the number of tea bags which in most recipes, are 4 to 1litre of water. I don’t like my green tea too strong. Anyway, anything that helps me drink more water can’t be bad.
    Hope the scales are kind tomorrow!

on

Hi V, from a day of disappointment to one of elation. Weight back down by half a kilo so hope to be even less for doctor tomorrow. Blood results in (in case you are not reading weekly thread). HbA1c 5.8 – I dont this it has been that low for a very long time and that was probably on around 40 units of insulin. I am now on 17 and hope to get even lower. Cholesterol down and triglycerides down. Think doctor gorgeous will be dancing around the surgery with me 🙂 🙂

• posted by Verano
    on

Just as I thought s-g that see-saw is working overtime! I can’t believe that you have more than halved your insulin units. Really amazing work. It’s possible that because you’d been using insulin for so long before low carbing it’s taken longer for your pancreas to ‘wake up’ . Anyway, you are doing remarkably well now and all credit to you for not giving up on low carb eating. Enjoy your dance with doctor ‘gorgeous’!!!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi s-g. I just popped in to say I’m having a ‘break’ again and I can see you are too! Great results from your doctors appointment so yes just take the pressure off yourself for a while. We both know that going back to carbs as we knew them just isn’t possible physically, but definitely not ‘mentally’ . Don’t know about you but I doubt if I could stomach those stodgy, processed white carbs again. Anyway, take care of yourself, relax and enjoy the summer.

on

Hi V, just seen this on my phone – sorry to see you go. Not hanging around for your anniversary?

Funny what you said about food. We were having a roast chicken on Sunday and I always allow a very small portion of sage and onion stuffing and the rest of the meal was made up of green beans and carrot. I said to hubby – how did we ever manage to eat this plus a pile of mashed potatoes and a couple of roasted potatoes. Dont think I could stomach that any more and he is the same now.

Even though I am taking a break I am still constantly thinking and planning. IF we can we will be travelling to the UK 5 weeks today so I am mentally planning my diet and goals for then. It is a way of life and I could never go back to old habits.

Take care my friend and do pop by now and then to say hello.

• posted by Verano
    on

I’d forgotten it’s almost our 5th anniversary …. where did the time go???
    I’ll look out for your ‘first day’ post later in the month.
    Take care and yes we’ll ‘speak’ again!

Please log in or register to post a reply.