Just need to write something!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Difficult couple of days. Have posted this on other threads but felt needed to start my own.
    Have very poorly dad at moment and not coping, very anxious. Result = poor food choices. Fallen off wagon spectacularly and eating all that is wrong in ridiculous quantities.
    2 days now. Desperate to get back to it in the morning. Any tips?

Am 5 and a half weeks in and was doing reasonably well. Steady weight loss.
    If you e read any of my posts on other threads you’ll see I’m feeling quite down. As always policies for negativity.

• posted by shalimar
    on

HUGS

Tips? Quit beating yourself up. Try eating a few healthy foods …. and if you just crave lots of foods right now … eat healthy ones if you can.

Quit beating yourself up.

Do other things to pamper yourself. Read a book … and not a highbrow one. Take a walk and enjoy nature. Take a bubble bath. If you like to swim or something take some time to do that.

Sorry …. i am not going to tell you to get back on the 800 calories. Do what you can to cope …. and reboot the diet when you feel better.

HUGS

• posted by TrishaDawn
    on

Hi, I just posted this on another thread before I saw this one.
    First of all, hugs, and you’re among friends here. It’s harder for some of us to stay 100% on the diet 100% of the time, life tends to get in the way.

But earlier in the year there was a thread on this forum that talked about thinking of these slips as a variation of the 5:2 diet, which many people have used very successfully. You won’t lose weight at the same rate as you would if you were able to do the 800 seven days a week, but it can stop you feeling that you’ve failed just because of a few bad days.

You can tell yourself you’ve done a 2:5 week, as in two days off, five days on. Or whatever variation which works for that week. Maybe go over to the 5:2 forum and read some of those posts.

The full 800 diet will still be waiting for you when your life gets back to normal.

• posted by SchnitzelVonKrumm
    on

Just look after yourself. An 800 cal diet can be hard at the best of times nevermind when you have so much to deal with. Eat nourishing foods whenever you can. The crappy stuff doesn’t make you feel better for long but you’re only human. If you can, try and get a bit of fresh air.

• posted by glevesque
    on

I agree with everything everyone else has said. I have been retired for a few years, and then went back to work full-time! What a mistake that was…found out the hard way that I simply am not as young as I used to be and the stress really got to me. I fell off the diet – or perhaps I should say I “jumped” off the diet. On the diet, I felt so energetic and so good that I thought I could do it, but I finally admitted that I couldn’t. I ate so much junk food in an attempt to try to make up for the stress. It had the opposite effect. I was more tired, more crabby, more stressed out. I’m back to part-time again, and beginning to get back to normal eating and living. I have not gone back to the 800 calories a day yet, but I will. For the time being, however, I am trying. I’ve cut back almost completely on the sugary stuff and on the carbs…Weight is starting to come off again, and my body is making the transition. If you are “bad” one day, let it go and get your mind ready to be more determined the next day. We all fall back into bad habits when we are feeling very stressed. Ironically, that is when we shouldn’t be falling back, but that is life. Don’t fret about yesterday or even about today. Take a deep breath and wake up tomorrow feeling strong and full of determination. Tell yourself that you took a day off and tomorrow is another day. If it is early in the day, then you have a choice – give in to the cravings or decide that tomorrow starts right now! Give yourself a hug and accept that you are not perfect, but you ARE darned good! I think I typed that last sentence for myself as much as for you!

• posted by Natalie
    on

Last year I made two really strong attempts to get healthy. During the first one, my mother died (cancer, we were expecting it). Four months later, when I’d just started trying to look after myself again, my father died (cancer, unexpected – and my parents had been divorced 40 years and never saw each other). I gave up for a while, started trying to losing weight again this year.

Unless you are extremely unwell and obese, this is unlikely to be your “last chance” to lose weight or get healthy. Look after yourself as much as possible while you are so stressed, I’m not saying to eat lots of junk because that won’t help you or your dad. But I wouldn’t make the BSD 800 cal a priority. Make choices that nourish your body to keep you strong, without worrying about sticking to a diet. Well that is what I think. It will still be there when you are ready.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Nedds mum

Lots of wise words here.

Sometimes we have to prioritize.

At the moment your main priority is your Dad and you say you’re finding it difficult to cope…. you know most of us would too.

So number two priority is yourself so that you can help your Dad. You are not doing yourself any favours by beating yourself up over food choices. You say you want to get back to the ‘diet’ this morning but maybe you just want to take ‘control’ of something because you don’t have control over your current situation. Maybe it would be better to give yourself a ‘holiday’ from BSG for a week or so. Give yourself ‘permission’ to eat as you want for maybe the next week and then reassess your situation. If you take the pressure about ‘the right/wrong foods’ off yourself you’ll probably find that you eat better anyway!

Hope things get better for you.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Big cyber-hug to you, Nedds mum. Lots of really good advice here. You’ve got a lot to deal with, no point making yourself more stressed out than necessary. If I were you, I’d actually forget about the calories. Just stay off the worst of the carbs, don’t drink too much alcohol, try to avoid the Mars bars and sugary drinks in the hospital shop, and generally look after yourself as best you can. If you were already doing reasonably well, you know you can get back on the wagon at some point in the future. It doesn’t have to be tomorrow. Just saying no to bad carbs is control enough, I think.

I’ll be thinking about you and your dad. Lots of cyber-love.

Snoop

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

A huge thank you to you all.
    I read each reply first thing this morning and thought back on them regularly throughout the day, particularly at times when I was struggling.

Shalimar – when I wanted to eat ‘rubbish’ I made healthier choices instead and as I drove to the hospital today I took time to look at the beautiful nature around me and appreciate it. So thank you.

Trisha – I love the idea of the 5:2. I’ve had a few bad days. Today has been better so it’s one of the 2. Easier to get my head around.

Schnitzel – thought about what you wrote too. I fell off the wagon for a couple of days and ate crap. It didn’t make me feel better. Not even for a minute. So today when I was oh so close to stuffing my face with rubbish (and I was close!) I thought about your reply. Thank you.

Glevesque – your comment made me think this morning. Went to bed last night thinking I’d start again on Monday and give myself a break over the weekend. Read your reply and thought, no… It’s restarts now. Thank you too.

Natalie – I’m sorry to hear about your losses last year. Put things into perspective for me. I think you are right, the fast 800 is just a bit too much for me at the moment. Today I’ve just tried my best to make healthy choices.

Verano – you are so right. There are so many things I can’t control at the moment and the diet was the one thing that I was beginning to control and have lost that control recently. Have tried not to beat myself up about it today. Thank you.

Snoop- well, I spent a few hours in total in the hospital cafe today and yes, I managed to stay away from the chips, cakes etc. I was close to caving in but I didn’t. I have also stayed avoided bad carbs. Worst today was a few chunks of 85% dark choc. Other than that all good choices but haven’t counted the calories as you suggest. Thanks.

All in all a better day and all of you have helped me through. I do believe that if I hadnt read each message this morning it would have gone horribly wrong by lunchtime.

As I had a difficult few days (and they’ll be more to come) and eaten rubbish I think I skip the weigh in just in case I have gained. If that is confirmed on the scales I think I’d be very unhappy so I’ll leave it for a week or so. Would you all agree?

Thanks again and really hope that you are all doing well in your journeys.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hey Nedds Mum — I am sending warm wishes from California and hoping you are having a better day today. My opinion (and I am unanimous in this ๐Ÿ˜œ) is that the scales can wait until you are back on track and right now it does not matter at all except that it matters that you eat as healthfully as possible to keep up your energy and outlook — you need nourishment right now, physically and psychologically. So focus on healthy foods and eat when you are hungry to keep your body gently functioning. When we are struggling, it is not our bodies that need the care so much as it is our hearts, but our hearts live in our bodies so we have to care for one to help the other.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Yes … leave the scales until you can see any news there with equanimity … and then just restart. You can even ease into a new start with 5:2 and 4:3 and 3:4 …. etc. ๐Ÿ™‚

HUGS

• posted by Snoop
    on

Nedds mum, what I’d do is forget the scales and calories for now. What I would do, though, is go for healthy choices because they will keep the sugar crashes at bay.

The other thing I’d suggest is find somewhere to eat or drink outside the hospital if you can. A nice cafรฉ or something like that nearby, just to get away for a brief while and recharge your batteries. You’ll probably find the surroundings more congenial and the food choices more appealing and healthier than what’s on offer in the hospital. Interaction with other people – even if only with cafรฉ staff – will be good as well, so don’t automatically think of a packed lunch in a park.

Still thinking of you and your dad.

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Such kind words and thoughts, even all the way from sunny California โ˜€๏ธ. Thank you. Made me smile first thing this morning๐Ÿ˜Š

Good advice all, I’ll take it on board. I’ll not weigh myself for at least another week.

I took a healthy packed lunch into the hospital today and have (on the whole) made healthy choices. Also had a lovely walk in the sunshine.

Certainly an improvement since 2 days ago so feel a little more positive – thanks to you guys ๐Ÿ™‚

Hope you have all had or are still having a good weekend.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Glad to hear you’re feeling a bit more positive. Hope to hear more good news soon.

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Today not a disaster but not the best either. Still holding onto all the positive vibes sent via the forum.

Will keep trying my best. I need to think ‘damage limitation’ at this difficult time.

Hope you are all doing ok.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Nedd’s mum, this is a time to be kind to yourself, not hard on yourself. Hope everything is going OK.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Not a disaster is great!!!

Remember to get out in the fresh air and away from the hospital. Eat somewhere nice!!

Good luck!!

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Evening all

Have this need to post on here before I go to bed. It does help

I think about what I’ll say as I go through the day. Most of the time it helps me make wise food choices.

80-90% good today.

Feel like I have gained but not weighing myself as some of you have advised. Will still leave scales alone until I feel more in control.

Managed some fresh air and a healthy lunch.

Do hope you’ve all had positive days.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Sounds like you are feeling better Nedds mum — it’s good to “hear” that — you are doing great at 80-90% — also glad you are finding time to go outside and had a healthy lunch. Baby steps are just right — look at your new healthier coping skills! I know how good it feels to find our strength.

• posted by oldbluejeans
    on

Hi Nedds Mum – sorry to hear about your Dad, that is such a worry and understandably making you anxious and if you’re anything like me (and no doubt many others on here) then you cope with anxiety and jitters with food and that’s not an easy thing to break at the best of times let alone now but would this work in a small way for you? Forget calories but try and reduce carb intake by having low carb comfort food. Peanut butter (the good stuff with no added sugar) is better than cake, the 85% dark chocolate you had is far better than milk chocolate, fried eggs (or any eggs) and tomato with bacon or smoked salmon is far better than a bowl of cereal. Nuts are a wonderful standby so keep a small pack handy for those nibble moments. Cheese is my big downfall but also depending on the cheese, very few carbs.

I’m not talking huge quantities here but hey, if you’re going to hit a tub of icecream you might just as well open a jar of crunchy peanut butter instead, a couple of dessertspoons of that will glue your mouth up so much you won’t be able to eat anymore ๐Ÿ˜„

Forget the scales – now is not the time to worry about lbs or kgs but maybe just try and be aware of quantities. The last square of a bar of chocolate tastes no different from the first square, what matters is how many squares there are between the first and the last. Just keep yourself well, be kind to yourself and keep posting on here. You can get back on track in your own time and we’re all here for you whenever you feel ready. Sending you a big virtual hug (((Nedds Mum)))

(stupid o’clock in the morning here in the UK – brain working overtime!)

• posted by oldbluejeans
    on

me again – I can see from my earlier post that thinking about comfort food in the early hours of the morning doesn’t lend itself to giving the best advice! forget substituting peanut butter for icecream (although a couple of teaspoons is a real comfort hug) but have full fat greek yogurt always on hand and chuck in some berries or a few grams of chopped nuts. I’m sure others have comfort food tips for the hard times as somehow cabbage and kale don’t have quite the same effect ๐Ÿ˜„

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi Nedd’s mum, good to hear from you. Glad posting here is helping. I love this forum, you know. So many good, supportive people rooting for each other. I spend quite a long time on the Web for work purposes, doing lots of research. And never have I come across such a friendly, civilised bunch as the people on here.

Here’s wishing you a good day today.

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Good evening.

Here again ๐Ÿ™‚

Woke this morning looking forward to a few words of wisdom to help me through the day. You didn’t disappoint. Thanks.

California girl- I think you are right. I have started to develop healthier
    coping skills. Okish today – mostly healthy (but lots of it)

Oldbluejeans
    What time were u up this morning??
    Thanks for taking the time to post at that ungodly hour.
    Fortunately I don’t like peanut butter so don’t worry that u advised I snack in that.
    I am however occasionally snacking on almond butter on an oatcake. Do u think this is ok?
    I eat nuts (probably too many) and also dark 85% or 90% choc.
    Just hope that these reasonably healthy choices will help me maintain my weight (which is still FAR too heavy). Just don’t want to regain the weight I’ve lost during these stressful times.

Hope you’ve had a good day. You are probably in bed now though given u were up at stupid o’clock. Hugs back at you.

Snoop – thanks for the lovely good wishes this morning. Really sets me up for the day. You are so right, the forums are so helpful.
    Take care and thanks.

• posted by Fit_My_Jeans_Again
    on

Hi Nedd’s Mum โ€“ I hope you’re doing OK. Just the fact that you’re coming back to the forum is pretty impressive in the circumstances. I am finding it helpful too, it seems! (I’ve been having the occasional square of dark chocolate too, sometimes even within my 800 calorie limit! I don’t think it’s the worst thing you can do.)

Really hope you have as good a day tomorrow as possible.

• posted by SchnitzelVonKrumm
    on

Well done for taking a packed lunch with you and for checking back on this forum. Sincerely, you should be proud of yourself. Even if you only did it once, that’s one more time than me and most other people would manage. It is so easy to fall back on the vending machines for a (short term) boost. Flapjacks were my downfall! Take care.

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Good evening all

It’s been a reasonably positive day.ย 

Last night I re-read chapter 9 of the BSD book. It re-inspired (if that’s a word!) me.ย 

I have been more mindful today and not been thinking catastrophically. In addition to this I promised myself I would think of 3 positive things at the end of the day.ย 

Here goes…

This morning I ‘weighed’ my breakfast.ย 

I ate in a hospital cafe full of cakes, chips, ย biscuits etc. I chose healthy foods.ย 

I walked for an hour.ย 

My dog went to the groomers. He looks great and smells nice again ๐Ÿ˜‰

Oops that’s 4 things!ย 

Thanks for your comments again. Have enjoyed reading them and taken your advice on board.ย 

If my jeans again – really impressed you can incorporate dark choc into 800 calories. I’m going to try that. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Schnitzel – thanks for the encouragement. I do feel proud today.ย 
    I too love flapjacks…

I do have a question…

You’ll notice I weighed only my breakfast today. I have been rubbish at weighing my foods. I have plateaued and probably gained weight (still avoiding scales until life a little easier) even tho my food choices are pretty good at moment.ย 

Is there anyone out there that doesn’t weigh foods but still losing 7-8 weeks through this diet?ย 

I’m enjoying eating almonds when I am tempted to stray. They fill me up and are healthier (I think?!)ย 
    Maybe I’m consuming too many?ย 

Thanks again to all.ย 
    Nightย 

• posted by Snoop
    on

Crumbs, Nedd’s mum, you are doing really well. That’s a lot of good things you did yesterday. Sounds like you’re feeling a bit more positive and re-energised. Bet the healthy food choices are contributing to that.
    Quite a few people on here don’t bother weighing their food but they do follow the recipes in the books, which makes it easier. I weigh food because although I’ve got the books, I still haven’t made anything from them! I’m trying to adapt my ‘own’ food so that it will be easier for me later (ha, ha!) when I move to maintenance. Talk about long-term planning!
    Almonds are good for you but quite calorific. According to Fat Secret, there are seven calories in a plain (unroasted) almond. Doesn’t sound like much, but I can never stop at one. We are lucky in that we live in an almond-growing area. So I get them still in their shells, which is something of a deterrent. Crack ten and I’ve had enough. But it’s still 70 calories.

Anyway, hope you have another jolly day. Give your dog a fuss for me.

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hi Nedds mum,

I know we’ve chatted on another thread but just dropping by here to say that I think you’re doing brilliantly. You’re in a horrible situation currently but haven’t crumbled and instead have thought carefully about how to approach each day. You are doing brilliantly! I know I’d mostly likely have caved in a cafe full of cakes and chips, especially if I were feeling fraught and stressed. Keep going. Perhaps focusing on food and diet is a good way of not focusing too heavily on the more upsetting things happening at the moment. Anyway, you know we are all here for you. Sending more hugs to add to everyone’s! X

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Hi snoop – dog given lots of fuss from you!! Thanks.
    Thanks also for the almond advice. Crickey, 70 cals in 10. I probably eat double that a day. Have noted this and will take on board. Due to have some at lunch time so one of my ‘moving on’ techniques today will be to count my almonds. This may help ๐Ÿ™‚
    Weighed my breakfast again so pleased with that.

Flash – just posted on your thread. Such kind words. Thank you. My mindset has changed (and it really is thanks to the guys on here!) and that a positive but I’m not losing. My jeans are tight again however when I am ‘ready’ to reboot I have the support on here (including you) to help me. It might be tomorrow, it may be next week, who knows but I’ve had to take some of the pressure off. Meanwhile I’m making reasonable food choices. Yesterday 85%ish.

Honestly yesterday in the cafe was torture. There was a lady eating a huge cream doughnut topped with choc. I wanted to wrestle it from her and then buy 6 of my own but I didn’t! I ate lots of almonds though which I now know are highly calorific so maybe I’m going wrong there!

You’ll get there, I’ll get there, just in our own time.

Take care. X

• posted by Flash21
    on

Thanks Nedds mum! If it makes you feel better, my jeans are definitely tighter now too ๐Ÿ™ Taking the pressure of is sensible though. You can’t devote yourself 100% to this in your current situation and there are far more pressing things that are taking up your time and energy.

I’m absolutely with you on nearly wrestling things out of people’s hands. My OH had a delicious looking baguette the other day – it was nearly a victim!

Keep on keeping on x

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Good evening all.

Healthy choices today and made it round the supermarket without buying rubbish.

HOWEVER….. Oh my goodness (to put it politely ) I’ve been a complete thickie!

As I said I’ve been making healthy choices over past few days – avocado, almonds, olive oil salad, veg but have been eating lots of it.
    Today I read that many people use myfitnesspal. I downloaded the app and have spent the past hour or two entering my food diary today.
    Clearly i have no idea what I’m doing.
    Today I consumed 2000 calories!!!! Don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

So…it all starts again tomorrow. With my newly found knowledge I aim to start losing again. I’ll keep you posted.

Flash – how was afternoon tea?

• posted by shalimar
    on

๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ HUGS

I really don’t have any unhealthy junk food in the house …. but it’s still easy to overeat. the 800 calories a day is enough food for fuel …. but when we are upset or even just bored it’s easy to “graze”. I’ve only eaten junk food 2 or 3 times this month …. but i have certainly had just too many helpings!!

I am hoping that i shall be out and about and doing aquabics etc. again soon …. this really helps me to stop grazing when im not housebound and feeling sick.

It’s just that at least eating healthy foods is way better than eating the junk foods again.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Nedds mum, at least you know. And at least the choices were healthy. So, put that behind you.

If your circumstances – emotional or otherwise – aren’t right for losing weight at the moment, then there’s no point worrying. Just keep doing what you’re doing and be mindful of it. Healthy choices is as much as you can expect of yourself if things are difficult.

But if your dad’s health has improved or stabilised and you’re ready to restart, then portion control is the next thing you have to tackle, and from your post it looks like you know this. So, if 20 almonds call out to you, eat 10. And if a salad dressing looks necessary, just try a teaspoon rather than a tablespoon of olive oil, or even just lemon juice or vinegar (which is what I’ve started doing).

Personally, though, if I were in your shoes, I’d want to be pretty sure that I was ready to move on to serious portion control before doing so.

• posted by Flash21
    on

Excellent advice from Snoop and shalimar ๐Ÿ™‚

And well done for a successful food shop. I had to pop out to the corner shop last night and the urge to buy bread and biscuits was incredible! I’m going to have to avoid going there as much as possible.

Glad you’ve found MFP for tracking – it can certainly be a bit of an eye-opener! I hope things are starting to settle down for you now and that your dad is improving. Thinking of you ๐Ÿ™‚

Afternoon tea is tomorrow so planning another very strict day today (although just writing that has somehow made me ravenous…hey ho) x

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

My downfall is generally nuts (noun not adjective). As my personality leads me to eating all of something if I like the first couple of mouthfuls, I had to come up with a coping strategy. What I’ve done is put a small snack size portion in a small plastic container. I bought 10 for ยฃ1 in a poundshop. I then spread them around the kitchen and utility room to reduce the temptation to grab three containers in one go.

I also instigated a rule that I don’t eat in the kitchen now, to stop snacking whilst I’m cooking. So when I want a snack I have to go and get one and have a longer decision process as to whether I REALLY want one…. or is a glass of water a decent substitute.

The other challenge is remembering where I put the containers, when they do this for gorillas in the zoo, I think they call it “enrichment”….

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Thank you all for such fab advice. I do think that little by little I will get there.

I am learning as I go along. I’m making huge mistakes and I am actually very pleased that I am aware now (thanks to MFP app) where I was going wrong. Such an eye opener.

So this morning, I but the bucket and weighed myself. Been a difficult week and I knew I had gained.
    I’ve been trying to follow the diet for 7 weeks now. I had lost 8 pounds but have regained 4lb.
    I am therefore still 4 lbs down. Result.

Now that I have MFP to help I feel strangely positive despite the ‘gain’.

I’m going to put the 7 weeks behind me and restart on another 8 weeks. After all I’m starting 4 lbs lighter than I was. I understand where I went wrong and hopefully won’t repeat the mistakes. This will take me neatly up to Xmas.

Thanks for all your wise words over this past week. Really is much appreciated.

Shalimar – great advice. I’ll dispose of the junk food. Too much temptation.
    Hope you get to your aquabics soon ๐Ÿ™‚

Snoop – dads situation hasn’t improved. He’s very poorly. It is out of my control hence why I am desperate to gain control over my eating habits. It’s giving me another focus but is proving difficult when I get very anxious.
    Have just had my lunch and had 12 almonds (an improvement on 20+) I’ll continue to cut back on those. Had half a tablespoon of olive in my salad instead of 1. So making small changes. Lunch overall was smaller. Hopefully I’ll hold out til dinner now.

Flash – well done to you too for avoiding the bread and biscuits. It’s so hard isn’t it?!
    Enjoy the afternoon tea tho. Keep going…

Jules maigret – wow, love the container idea. Think I’ll give it a go as my downfall too is nuts. You are clearly so committed. Thanks for the advice.

So here goes to the next 8 weeks. ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Flash21
    on

Urgh – avoiding bread and biscuits is sooooo hard!! Afternoon tea was fab though – and I couldn’t even finish it all! Hoping tomorrow’s week 5 weigh in will be kind to me…..How was the rest of your weekend?

• posted by Snoop
    on

Sorry to hear about your dad’s situation, Nedd’s mum.

Sounds like you’re getting back on track, diet-wise. And at least you’re still 4 lbs down. So that’s a good basis to start from. And you’d obviously got the BSD approach licked, so what with that and MFP, looks to me like you’re going to succeed at this. A few hiccups along the way affect us all, and you’ve got more than most to deal with. So carrying on being gentle with yourself.

Lots of best wishes and more cyber-hugs.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Needs mum you sound really positive. Not easy when you have a lot going on in your life. Well done:-)

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Haven’t posted for couple of days as not been great at all and just feel I’m being negative most of the time.
    BSD gone to pot again and dad unwell – no better. Feel stressed.
    I’ll try again tomorrow but feel embarrassed at my lack of will power. Maybe tomorrow I’ll succeed.
    Thanks for all your encouragement. X

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Oh bless. Please don’t loose faith in yourself Nedds mum.
    When I was nursing my mum I soon realised I could not change what was happening to her and had to accept it. When I did this I stopped getting so stressed and accepted what will be will be.
    Please don’t feel embarrassed by your lack of will power, I don’t think its lack of will power, its being over tired and juggling, life, food and family.
    You will do it. We are here for you

• posted by Fit_My_Jeans_Again
    on

Really sorry to hear that your dad isn’t any better. Please don’t feel bad about your eating โ€“ it’s really a major life change and a big adjustment, so it’s no wonder you’ve had other things to think about.

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Thanks again.

Will attempt to restart tomorrow.

Getting a good nights sleep tonight would help….

• posted by Flash21
    on

Nedds Mum – don’t ever be embarrassed. You are in a really stressful situation right now and have a great deal to cope with. Of course diet plans and suchlike will fall by the wayside – you’re only human! Your willpower is being focused on other more important issues so please don’t beat yourself up about this. Sleep, drinking water, doing calming/de-stressing things (where possible) are what you need at the moment, not worries about calories and carbs. You can get back on the BSD horse when things are better – we’ll still all be here to support you. Hugs x

• posted by Flash21
    on

Nedds mum – come in, come in, wherever you are! We miss you. How are you getting on? X

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Thank you for posting flash. Hope you are getting on well.

To be honest, I have lost the plot.

I need to be positive but am struggling. I could easily moan and list the sugar laden foods I have consumed over past 2 weeks but need to try and put it all behind me.

Every morning I have good intentions but by 10am I’ve failed.

Need a new approach. Will wrack my brains…

I do hope your weight loss is going in the right direction.

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hey! How nice to have you back ๐Ÿ™‚

I am progressing in quite an up and down way. Nowhere near as well as my first couple of weeks but trying to get back on the straight and narrow. At the moment I have a stinking cold which either makes me want to eat ALLLL the carbs or nothing at all. Once I feel better I am hoping to sit down with some recipes and make a menu for a couple of weeks that I will endeavour to stick to.

Don’t see yourself as failing. You are going through a hard time. How about just focusing on making one meal out of the day a low(er)- carb one and not worrying too much about the others? So, you could try for a “good” breakfast of say Greek yog and berries or if you have time, some bacon, eggs, tomatoes and mushrooms. See how far that carries you and then do whatever is easiest for lunch and/or dinner. Or if the day is stressful, grab whatever you need for breakfast and/or lunch but aim for a healthly dinner – say, steak/chicken/prawns with veg or salad. Another way you might manage is just doing the 800cals approach every other day. Or just focus on keeping carbs as low as you can but don’t worry about counting cals for now. Throw in a lot of water along the way too as that is something simple which can have great effect.

The main thing is not to beat yourself up. Please don’t see yourself as having failed. You’ve hit some pretty big bumps in the road and are temporarily derailed. You’ve got this ๐Ÿ™‚ X

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi Nedd’s mum,

Flash says everything, so I won’t repeat it. Just to say have been thinking about you and glad to see you’re still here.

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Thank you flash and snoop…thanks for posting…You inspired me.

Tried for well over 2 weeks to get back to it but by 10am each day I was making wrong choices.

So I restarted 2 days a go. So far so good.

I have planned for the whole week and kept it very simple (probably very boring too) but if I start having grand ideas I find I can’t be bothered. Too many other things going on at moment.

Am experiencing the headaches again but know from my previous attempt on the BSD this will pass within a few days.

I have renamed it the 6 week BSD as this will take me through to Christmas and also may feel more manageable.

The plan then will to allow myself a few chocs and then do another 4 weeks.

At the moment I can get my head around this.

How are you all getting on? X

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hey!

Glad to hear you’ve got a plan and have had a couple of good days already. We know you can do this!! I totally agree with grand plans – I think we end up putting pressure on ourselves with them which makes them much harder to stick to. I like your idea of a simple, one day at a time approach. I will join you on it! We can definitely make it to Christmas!

I’m getting better from a cold. I feel quite grotty and succumbed to a cheese sandwich and some crisps yesterday but back on it all again today. Getting a bit fed up with the number of times I’ve said “Back on the wagon” or similar so I think I’ve annoyed myself back into it! With any luck it’ll be much easier to progress slowly but surely rather than with all these ups and downs. That’s what I’m hoping anyway. I bought a Xmas jumper yesterday which is slightly more snug than I hoped it would be so I am hoping that by the time I actually wear it, it will look better than it does now!

Hope all your family things are improving. X

Please log in or register to post a reply.