Just getting started.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Andyroo
    on

Hello there, I am just starting out on this diet as I feel I could be in the range of pre diabetic, My waist measurements are more than what they should be however I am 13 stone 2 pounds so not really over weight for my height of 6 feet tall.
    I feel I ought to do something before it gets to a point I have to do something, like they say prevention is better than cure.
    Anyway my question is this, in the book it tells that you can go through this diet on low calorie shakes or use them to start with, I would like to use these shakes to start my diet until I have accustomed myself to a routine. Can anyone out there give me a clue as to what types of shakes I should use or what shakes are recommended as I am not a person who has been on a diet before and it is all new to me.
    Thanks for any help and advice that you may give.

• posted by Jackie
    on

Hi, Andy
    I don’t think you have to start with low cal shakes. I am on day 5 and just went straight into week 1 recipes, which I have found delicious.
    Good luck, Jackie

• posted by Andyroo
    on

I probably should have mentioned I work away from home Monday to Friday and stop in hotels during the week. If I was to start on the shakes I would able to take these with me and have them in my room. Weekends does not present a problem as I can sort the menus out but during the week is more difficult

• posted by Zandranna
    on

I keep a tub of Slimfast shake in the cupboard for times when I have to leave the house at lunch time and dont have time to prepare and eat anything. I can quickly mix that up and drink it. I have also had the odd shake for breakfast as well.

It does seem as if some people also find it easier to have shakes for breakfast and lunch and have one main meal in the evening.

• posted by Dunnoruby
    on

I am on my first day and I have used slim fast shakes. To get started I know I will find it easier if I don’t have to weight and count everything. I have had 2 shakes and a lunch of chicken and veg

• posted by Andyroo
    on

Thanks for the tips, i will start on the slim fast shakes, only till i can get into some sort of routine but live in hotels monday to friday will be tricky.
    Thanks for the help

• posted by Andyroo
    on

Just wondering, is there anyone out there who could give advice on the meals I eat whilst I am in hotels. I used to have a small bowl of fruit with two table spoon sized scoops of natural yogurt, and for dinner I always had a chicken creaser salad, since reading the book I started to have a small plate of scrambled eggs and salmon for breakfast and in the evening I had sirloin steak(200g) and a small salad with a yogurt dressing, if I feel peckish at lunch time I may have a small bowl of soup normally watery soup and a small bowl of salad, when I say small about the size of a salad side order drizzled with olive oil.
    can anyone out there say whether this is a good diet to have or not and what kind of calories would I be having, as there is no way of telling in the hotel and I am only just a beginner when it come to these sort of things.
    Any help would be very helpful thanks.

• posted by FloraDora
    on

That diet sounds OK to me. The fruit should be without sugar or syrup of course – berries are best – strawberries, blueberries, raspberries or cherries. The yoghurt should be full fat greek natural yoghurt. The devil is in the detail! Eggs and salmon sound fine, steak is ok and dont stint on the green leaf salad, but make sure the dressing is sugar free. Another handy ‘hotel’ type dish would be omelette. I dont count calories – just try to stick the spirit of the recipes in the book, its working for me.

• posted by Andyroo
    on

Thanks to everyone for the advice, Just weighed myself and I am 12 stone 13 pounds, but my circumference is not too good it is 8 inches more than my height, I seem to be able to lose weight pretty quick but my stomach does not change in it shape. Does anyone have any tips on how to reduce stomach size; I know about exercise and have started walking more rather than take the lift I take the stairs and all the usual stuff. Is it a case that my waist will follow my weight and reduce on its own in time?
    Any thought greatly appreciated.

• posted by Andyroo
    on

Thanks for that Floradora

• posted by Zobo74
    on

Hi, my busy lifestyle, full time job and 3 kids to feed will mean I may have to resort to shakes too so I have ordered some ‘elle belle’ low carb shakes from amazon as regular slim fast shakes are pretty high carb (25 – 40g per serving depending on flavour) and 2 shakes would mean approx 500 kcals where the low carb ones are half that for 2 shakes. I am starting tomorrow so wish me luck! My figures are prediabetic, my Mum is type 2 on insulin and I am scared the same will happen to me and as a nurse who advises diabetics, I know I should know what to eat but I have been stuck at 2 stone overweight for years, I have tried all sorts of different plans and diets but my compulsive eating when stressed is the problem so I am trying this in the hope to break the cycle of years of bad habits. Good luck to you all ☺

• posted by Andyroo
    on

Thanks for the tip on the shakes, Zobo74. I will check them out. Good luck to you and I hope you achieve your goals.

• posted by Zobo74
    on

Cheers Andy, hope all goes well for you too 😆

Please log in or register to post a reply.