Just finished my first week

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

As a 63 year old (4 foot 11 inch shorty) type 2 who was managing really well with a few low readings, I was put on a carb with every meal diet by a nutritionist and quickly gained 3 kg and blood glucose was higher than I have ever seen (180 / 190 and sometime 230). For the past 2 years I have been desperately trying to lose the weight and get my b/g back under control. My HBA1C had gone from 5.6 to 11. I have managed to get it down to 8 on my last 2 tests but still struggling. Over this 2 years I have lost sensation in my 2 big toes and have been practically starving myself to improve. Then I came across the book The 800 Calorie Blood Sugar Diet. I read the book from cover to cover in just 2 days, worked out a menu plan for week 1 and did a shop for all the veggies I didn’t have already.

Week one result – I have lost 3.5 lbs and my morning blood glucose has been coming down from 180, to 153, to 125 to 90 and today to 70. That is a 60% reduction (hubby did the maths). It is quite unbelievable. I recognise that 70 is too low but it is a sign that it is time to start reducing my nightly insulin injections from 37 units to 35. Hopefully that is just the start as I intend to continue with the diet for the full 8 weeks. I have been following the meal plans to the letter as I don’t feel confident enough to start playing around and by doing this I have discovered that I love aubergine (not had it in 40 years).

Lets see what the next week brings.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Congratulations! What an absolutely fabulous start, sunshine-girl, you must be thrilled! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

So pleased you have discovered the BSD and started your journey back to health – there are lots of inspirational threads on here, would recommend you look at Bill54’s thread THIS HAS TO WORK FOR ME – just enter it in the SEARCH box at the top. Also Captainlynne has been a total inspiration. Let alone Lucia. So many people.

If you have any questions do post – someone will get back to you, and has probably experienced the same thing and can give you advice.

I have just finished my 8 weeks and lost 12% of my starting weight – not Type 2 or otherwise unwell, but just wanted to eat better and get into control. I feel great – hopefully you will add the ‘feeling great’ to your aubergine enjoyment as one of the unexpected benefits of this change of lifestyle.

Good luck! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Pollygarter
    on

Amazing changes in your blood sugar readings. I do despair of medical nutritionists. Just been visiting my type 2 diabetic dad who is in hospital recovering from his hip op and they are giving him toast, cake, sugar puddings. And are surprised his blood sugars are romping out of control. I hope to persuade him to join me on this diet. I may be hoping for too much. Keep on going…will be interested to see your progress. I am not yet diabetic but pre..and with a big family history of it so determined to get myself sorted. It really works.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Polly, hospitals are the worst. I went in for a bowel / stomach inspection and had to fast for 24 hours. Because I am diabetic they logged me to go to theatre early. The nurse did my b/g and the machine said ‘low’. She got into a flap and said she was going to give me an infusion of glucose. What I couldn’t get the silly girl to see was the machine said ‘low’ battery. Anyway I had an infusion and she came back with a new machine which read 340 (18) which, for some reason, she was happy with. Hope your dad gets well soon.

• posted by UKOZOZ
    on

Fantastic and congratulations. ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.