Just begining

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by missjane111
    on

Hi all
    I too started last week – am 150cm (5’) and 65kgs – not diabetic or pre-diabetic but need a serious kick start to weight loss – did the 5:2 for a while last year but then got slack and put the weight back on. My problem has always been that I’m vertically challenged, love cooking (and eating) and was brought up on a 3 meals/day regime and to never leave anything on my plate (a very hard psychological habit to break). Goal is 5kgs (realistic) / 10kg (ideal) weight loss. So far (day 9) I’ve lost 3.2kg – so I’m stoked !
    Not following MM’s recipes as I don’t have the book yet but I’m an avid recipe reader and adapt recipes I like the sound of. I also import recipes into MFP – via URL link – but then have to match ingredients which sometimes can be hit or miss and time-consuming –useful for calculating the cals and if they are too high I divide the recipe into more portions. So far my fave meals have been: Cauliflower/pea/tomato curry + chickpea crispy pancake (socca); zoodles fried in butter + small amount of chicken breast to bump up the protein; creamed lentils + salad; spinach and cheese pie (no filo pastry of course) – happy to post recipes if anyone interested
    Has been easier than expected – but a few observations that might help others just starting out.
    Log EVERYTHING ! Weigh/measure EVERYTHING (my scales are permanently on the kitchen bench)
    Be organised – plan what you are going to eat for the day and if you can, plan tomorrow and log it – then if you start to go over 800 cals you can tweak a portion size here or there or leave out a food
    Have a big cookup at the w/end – buy heaps of meal-size containers and freeze individual/meal size portions – a great time saver/emergency meal option.
    Any leftover or dead/dying vegs in the crisper go into my “green soup” – with a bit of garlic/
    ginger/stock/cream or whatever – taste as you go (small sips of course !) – and freeze in portions
    I now skip breakfast and just have a couple of cups of tea before lunch – gives me more cals to play with for lunch and dinner which works better for me. Usually don’t snack but if I have a few cals to spare I can have a few almonds or berries or ½ apple.
    Sorry – have been a bit verbose (I’m a newbie to forum life) and taken up a lot of everyone’s reading time – won’t be so talkative next time  Must say that I’ve found some of the posts absolutely inspiring and motivating !

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi missjane, welcome to the forums. Yes, please post your recipes! It is always nice to have something new to try! 🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi missjane

Well done on progress so far and welcome to the forums – there’s plenty info on the various threads and I’m sure your contributions will be appreciated by the rest of us BSDers. It sounds like you have a really good handle on the diet and have some interesting recipes to share, hope to see them soon.

Good luck for continued success.

• posted by nikkioaks
    on

i’ve got to day 4 and the headaches have found me. i’ve found it a bit harder than i expected, but it’s been good to see on the forums that the first few days can be tough. so i’ll find the paracetamol, drink plenty of water, and tell myself that means it must be working.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Nikkioaks, great attitude. The headaches won’t last long so you are right to reach for the paracetamol. 🙂

• posted by chezza1961
    on

Hi All another newbie here been on 2 days so far. Got thye headache but thats because Ive stopped eating the biscuits sweets and chocolate. Ive already lost 8 stone over the last year but then gained a half back because of stopping smoking. I have 1 stone 7lb to lose to get me at my ideal weight. The recipes on here are great Except I dont eat chicken and very little fish although I do love prawns crayfish and crab. I eat very little bread – prior to starting this diet I was only eating a couple of slices of wholemeal a week. Any ideas please. Can anybody tell me if swapping pork for chicken is a similar calorie and low carb count??? Good luck to everybody.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Chezza, way to go! The BSD and giving up smoking! Will you be recognisable to your family soon?? A big welcome to these forums and looking forward to your future posts!
    Regarding food, if you like mince I can post a recipe for you. Do you like spicy food?
    Omlettes, fritattas, dips etc are all good protein foods. As are bacon, eggs, baked beans, tomatoes and mushrooms. If you count the calories you could have some lovely brunches!
    Can you post the things you do like to give us all a clue regarding suggestions?
    Good luck 🙂

• posted by Snow-White
    on

Hi All,

I’m also a newbie to this diet! The main problem I have is I am a really fussy eater and don’t like most of what is in the menu plans. I don’t eat fish or many vegetables 🙁 Is it ok to eat what foods I do like but limit to 800 calories a day (obviously not eating many carbs)?

Also, can anyone advise how long it normally takes before FBS starts to drop?

Thanks

• posted by franash
    on

Thanks Penny pmshrink

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Snow-White
    I was so tempted to say “don’t eat any red apples” 😀
    The most important thing is to cut out the simple carbs. Keeping carbs down below 50g a day will start the weight loss and blood sugar reductions.
    Veggies are fairly important as they give you complex carbs which are hard to digest and keep you feeling full, just eat the ones you like. Remember to use olive oil and full fat dairy to keep your fat levels up.
    I would suggest starting off by cutting the carbs out first to give you a kick start and then worry about the calories, I, and many others are doing it that way with great success.
    Eat the stuff you enjoy as long as the harmful stuff isn’t in it
    This time next week you may just have surprised yourself.

• posted by franash
    on

Good stuff Chezza1961 you’re not doing things in halfs are you!!!. No idea on the comparison of pork to chicken, i’m sure you could look it up somewhere, I know you can get extremely lean pork, it can be the leanest of all meats.
    Welcome Snow-White. Not sure about that. Hope you find some vege combinations you like soon.

Things are going ok, I’ve finished 2 weeks now, just starting my third. I’ve lost 4 kgs and just sitting stable on that. My grand plan is to lose 9 more kilo. Sorry, I’m in Australia, gotta love metric measurements. I’ve been Type 2 for a couple of years, no meds so far. I’ve just had a Hb1A whatever its called so will be interested to see what it is, as my starting point. I’m pretty sure the stomach measurement that the Chronic Disease Management CDM Nurse does is changed, so will need to find out what that was too. Good luck everyone. keep it up. Remember we are all human too. This is the first concerted action I have taken since having Type 2. Hoping I continue to get positive results. I must say the food I think is so tasty. I forked out and picked up the book for $19 today. Prior, I had been using the menus I could find off the internet, daily mail site. Think I will need to photocopy the recipes and put in plastic otherwise they will not be looking quite so clean. Ah well off to bed, week 3 begins. Yeah!!!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi SnowWhite

Welcome to the BSD family. It’s absolutely fine to tailor the diet to suit your likes and dislikes, as long as you are not eating sugars and starchy stuff. You said no fish, but I’m assuming you eat meat(?), if so you’re fine with that and veggies you do like, but do try to avoid root veg, as a lot to these are starchy – try to opt for those that grow above ground. A lot of people seem to be deviating from the menus in the book and devising tasty dishes for themselves, some of which they post here, so take a look at the recipes on the site, there might be something on there that you like the sound of.

I’m sure you will soon be seeing positive changes – keep us posted on your progress and good luck.

• posted by Snow-White
    on

HaHa – thanks Bill1954!

I’m going to weigh myself tomorrow (day 5) and see how it’s going. I’ve been a diet controlled type2 for 4 years but I am now finding it increasingly difficult to control. I eat full fat dairy and try to limit the simple carbs as much as possible.

I’ll update tomorrow with my results 🙁

• posted by Tish_ren
    on

posted by Tish_ren
    on 17 Mar 2016 at 11:49pm

Congrats to all of you keep up the good work.
    I can’t wait to feel slimmer.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi tish-ren, you will slim down faster than you think! 🙂

• posted by Snow-White
    on

Thanks everyone for the support!

Weighed in this morning after 4 full days and I’ve lost 2lb. Had hoped for more but better than putting on, and I only have a stone to lose so probably not bad 🙂 Also lost 5% body fat, so happy with that.

My average carbs over the last 4 days have been 60, so I should maybe try to get that down a bit to make a difference, although my FBS was in single figures (just) today for the first time in a long time 🙂

Good luck everyone and keep up the good work x

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Great news Snow-White. Keep up the good work 😃

• posted by nikkioaks
    on

Frustration this morning. Went out last night to friends, and had lots of starchy vegetables. The plan had been they would come here, and I had a good menu planned – the fish in foil, with a big salad, and a fruit platter after that, with some whipped cream. but for good reasons it was better we went there, and the notice was too short to ask for special food. It was one of those situations when I felt it would be rude not to eat what was on the plate. I’m frustrated because it sets me back in adapting to the diet, and I’m not through the tough stuff yet, so it’s pity to go backwards at this stage.
    BUT – lots of positives too
    no alcohol, didn’t nibble any of the biccies offered before the meal, and managed to palm off most of the chocolate mousse (and I like chocolate mousse), and having friends you can see at short notice.
    next time – I’d do the same. With more warning, and with some friends, I could ask for some low carb offerings.
    i’ve a organised dinner out next week, but I’m not too worried about that, as I don’t feel quite the pressure to eat what’s on the plate.
    Glad it hasn’t made me feel guilty or down on myself, but will be happy when I’m through these early weeks. And I’m trying to do this in a real life, and in real life things don’t always go to plan. So veggie frittata for breakfast and back to the straight and narrow.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Nikki you have confirmed something to yourself – you can control what you eat when out. Ok ok the starchy veg BUT no biscuits and little of the mousse. You can confidently eat out when you can choose from a menu ! A positive step in my book 🙂

• posted by nikkioaks
    on

thanks hashimoto

doing better this morning – don’t seem to have a headache threatening today. and have lost a little weight, but the pants are feeling looser, and that’s an all day reminder things are moving in the right direction.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Like you, I have had a wobble today. Had a celebratory meal for my daughter’s 30th, so there were a couple of glasses of champagne, food wise to dodgy things were one small parsnip, peas and gravy. Felt over full and guilty afterwards – ate at 3 and still feeling too full! as far as I can guestimate, I was about 120cals over for the day and 3g carbs above my recent consumption of 20g per day. Now I worried I might have trashed the 2lb loss I seemed to have consolidated this week.

Tomorrow’s another day and I will be cautious and make sure I keep tight control of things. Weekly weigh in is Monday morning, so the truth will out soon!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Sunnyb, if you were still around 23 g carbs including two glasses of bubbly then it shouldn’t matter what your total calories were, you should be fine. But even if you do put on, it will only take a day or two to go again. A reasonable sacrifice for your celebration I’m sure!

• posted by buffy045
    on

2 weeks today, thought it would be so much harder, after 3 days my jeans fitted nicely, never eaten such a variety of food.
    have been reading the forum on my phone so never can write on the phone too small, 8 lb down in the 2 weeks, had a few small slip ups but have warned everyone to not have any rubbish around the house, this helps as I wont buy anything that will tempt me. had to go out to dinner and had a mushroom risotto, lovely. bought gram flour and tried to make flatbread with it but was like glue I really could not flatten it out. is the flour always like this?
    Well I am off to bed as night is my danger time, thank you to all who post their tips and words of encouragement here it really does help..

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi buffy, that’s a great weight loss, you must be really happyniw that your jeans fit comfortably, I know I was 🙂

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi buffy
    gram flour isn’t very clever as a dough.
    To make the flatbreads, you make them exactly the same way as you would a pancake exept the batter is just the flour, water, and a pinch of salt.
    Well done on your 2 week results, you’re well on your way

• posted by Catgirl
    on

Make that 4 of us from the north east! I managed to get gram flour at Asda in Blyth and coconut flour at tesco in Kingston park. Shops also seem to be doing a much better range of nuts and seeds but they don’t know what to charge, some ridiculous prices, we need to shop around and share the best places to buy. Just think, our weight loss could be helping coastal erosion at Whitley Bay!🏖

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Yay! A 4th from the North East. We could start a club!

I was in North Tyneside for 3 years until last June when I moved to a former pit village in County Durham. My closest coastal erosion would be a Seaham or possibly South Shields. But the weight loss certainly helps on the hills!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi catgirl, I found some skinny packets of nuts and seeds by the tills at Aldi today at 32p a packet. 153 calories a pack, 2.7g carbs. I was busy today and out most of the time so I used a packet and a small pear as an emergency lunch. 🙂

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Have to check out my local Aldi next time I’m over there. Thanks for that Judith.

• posted by Matrika
    on

Aldi is good for basics in Australia too…I shop there because storewide they have products with no food dyes…here their large bags of Australian nuts are good value and they stock avocado oil, organic butter and a lot of staples at really reasonable prices by our local standards.

Many organic groceries I used to have to buy at a health food store I can now get at Aldi. Not organic veggies unfortunately.

• posted by Kazykay
    on

Has anybody got the recipe for the cheese scones. I have bought the books and downloaded some on the kindle and cannot find it.It is with coconut flour. If so would be grateful. As I have bought the books I did email admin and they say it is in the 8 week blood sugar diet book but the australian version. Help anybody please.

Flipfloptime7

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi kazykay if you just put Keto cheese scones into google it will come up. Thank you for asking as I have just done it and now I am going to make them tonight 😂. My son loves them

• posted by Kazykay
    on

Hi thank you so much. I tried and tried goggle no luck BUT hey presto I have now found it in a book I downloaded on my kindle so am up and running to try them. xx

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Brilliant I am so glad. I am going to make some too. 💞🦜

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Matrika 🙂 I too do my shopping at Aldi – they seem to have all I need to do GREAT BSD choices . . .cant fault them for a wide variety of clean good quality inexpensive veges and as you say the bulk buy nut bags are good value. I note youre also in Australia. Im in NSW – Southern Highlands. Quack! Quack!

• posted by Anglinia
    on

Starting day of diets are very tough. I understand. All the best.

Please log in or register to post a reply.