Just begining

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by franash
    on

Hi, day one almost down of the 800 calorie diet. Mann am I experiencing hunger. I’m told its just coming off the carbs but gee whizz.
    Hope i can keep it up! I’m avoiding eating around the kids coz I’ll be tempted to eat what they are eating. Think I’ll have the bircher muesli tomorrow, hoping I’m not so hungry tomorrow.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

You should find within a couple of days that your hunger is much less due to the lack of carbs. All the best!

• posted by franash
    on

Thank you Janet1973. I hope you are right. My mood is so snappy. Looking forward to being further into this. cheers

• posted by georgiarose
    on

My husband and I are on Day 2. So far, so good. LOL

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi franash
    I must have been one of the lucky ones, the only side effect I really had was a lightheaded feeling for a couple of days.
    You should feel much better in a few days when your body adjusts to this new lifestyle and the hunger pangs will go, promise !
    In fact, I find now that, at times. I have to push myself to eat as I’m just not hungry.
    I’m confident that in a weeks time, you’ll be back excitedly telling us about your first week results.

• posted by franash
    on

Thanks Bill1954, day 2 was much better. Much less hunger feeling, and able to concentrate ok which was good. I even thin i’m less snappy with everyone so that is great.
    I’m finding the meals quite tasty, so that’s a plus. How far into it the program are you?

• posted by franash
    on

Good luck to the two of you georgiarose. It would make meal preparation simpler if my hubby and I were eating together on this one!

• posted by buffy045
    on

Hi all, I hope to start on Monday and as a vegetarian I found the recipes in the book hard to figure out without meat or fish, have always ate badly, bread pasta etc, so I was thinking of the ready meal option but dont know what they are, is it a diet product or what, i feel i need to retrain my taste for food, any suggestions gladly accepted.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Buffy
    Do you mean the meal replacements? If so, they are liquid shakes and low carb bars. There is no one type in particular recommended but there are several types available. I’m sure someone else who has used them would be able to advise on that.

You will find some good veggie recipes on the website – like the aubergine bake and there are a few other threads on veggie stuff you can read here. All the best to you.

• posted by buffy045
    on

Thanks for that yes that is what i meant, thought it might be handy to have a few on stand-by if i decide to do it properly.

• posted by franash
    on

Day Three down. Mostly ok. found I couldn’t face the Spanish Soup for the second day, so just ate small portions of it. Meatball for tea, although mine didn’t stick to gether so it was more like mince. Nice. Missing not having a snack of something though.

• posted by lucinda61
    on

Yep, Im on day 4, and down 3kg roughly already….Not diabetic, but heading that way fast..just severley insulin resistant. .Feeling pretty good and surprisingly not hungry at all….Good luck to all the newbies!!!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi franash,
    just approching the end of week 5
    Last weigh day I was seventeen and a half pounds down and fasting blood sugar down from 9.2 to 5.6 although I have had a blip in that this week, 6.9 today
    Just a few days to your first weigh day, are you feeling any slimmer?, it sounds daft but many folk do.

• posted by Egg on legs
    on

Hello

Hunger pangs do improve over time. I am four weeks in and have really adapted. When I feel hungry i have a mug of coffee (decaf or standard) with a splash of (soya) Milk and it helps to make you feel full. Also miso soup in a mug does the same but is salty. I have a hot drink before I cook family meals!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Buffy, Aly is a vegetarian so she might give you some pointers. I know i will be teaching my granny to suck eggs, so to speak, but the gluten free flatbreads are a good source of protein as they are made from chickpea flour same is true of the coconut breads – both are in the recipes on this site. Soups with beans, cheese, eggs, lentils etc I’m. Sure you will find plenty. Can i suggest breakfast: greek yoghurt with berries, lunch: vegetable frittata, supper: veg curry with flatbread. Simple plan like that will give you all you need. Cherrieanne has posted a lovely cream of mushroom soup which is a suitable meal for you. I think the we have all had some difficulties around eating when our staples of rice, pasta, bead and potatoes are off the menu. Keep at it. I will try and post some suitable vegetarian meals in next few weeks. Do you like spicy foods?
    Don’t let the issues of rethinking your diet put you off because it is great when you (quickly) get to the place where the planning stops being difficult. I think it would have been more helpful to vegetarians if there had been a section in the book dealing with their dietary issues but there are veggie recipies in there. Keep going and good luck!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Buffy, I’m vego too and just about to start week 4. I was also reliant on rice and carbs to fill me up. Do you like cooking and are you keen to experiment with new meal ideas? Some people have just lost their way and their cooking mojo, others have never cooked a meal from scratch. If you give me an idea of what kind of cook you are, and what kind of foods you enjoy I can post more recipes. I love to cook and experiment so have found a few ways to replicate fave meals that are low carb.
    Some recipes on the forum are vegetarian too, the courgette bhajis that Hashimoto posted sound nice. There is also a stuffed capsicum recipe on about page 5.
    Keep in touch and hopefully I’ll be able to help ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Buffy, the stuffed red peppers are delicious. Ive made them twice and they look so impressive! Ive just posted a very easy, speedy meal of spicy baked beans. Like cherrieanne if i know what food you like I can post more recipes. I was a veggie for years so have a few ideas up my sleeves ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by buffy045
    on

Thanks for all ideas so far, I cook a lot from scratch but mainly meat dishes as five meat eaters in the house so been neglecting myself. Love mushrooms hummus most veg and soup.

• posted by franash
    on

Hi everyone so great to hear from others on similar journeys. I went out last night, to a hotel for tea, That’s what you do sometimes. I stressed a bit about it. And then relaxed, when my husband (who is trying to lose weight also, but not on this diet) saw a dish, salt and pepper calamari, he checked it later on some calorie counter thingy and it came in around 200 phewww so happy for that news. I resisted eating the chips, earlier in the arvo aswell. It went well. Yes I’m feeling lighter, but I don’t like to get to carried away just yet, but I need to tap into it, just as a motivator that I can do this, and each good day is a day past, well done kind of stuff. My son had a birthday party this morning, I again resisted the nice platter of cheeses and biscuits in front of me, I did have three olives as I was starving and it was near my lunch time, which I quickly got home and prepared fast – raspberry and feta salad it was v.nice.
    Lucinda61 glad your on board before you have a full diagnosis.
    Bill 1954 are you from far away, with your pounds measurement? I did a quick check of what 17 1/2 pound was as I’m a kilogram measurer, fantastic, and that’s by week 5. I didn’t actually know there was particular weigh days, I just jump on there frequently. My shorts are feeling bigger round the waist for once!
    SO as far as menus go Bill1954 do you have four weeks of menu that you are going back over? I’ve only found three weeks so far on the internet, I’ll have to keep an eye out.

• posted by georgiarose
    on

End of Day 6 and both hubby and I are a bit lighter and my blood sugar is going down. Excellent incentive to keep it up. Lots of greens in the garden fortunately. Can just go forage if I feel I need something. Also, we have enjoyed the good Aussie wines for many years, but actually look forward to the mineral water substitute on these hot summer/autumn days. So still taking it day by day. I do appreciate reading about the efforts of “fellow travellers.” Cheers all.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Franash, far away ? I’m in north east England, where are you ?
    I’m also 62 so old school with measures although I do bow to decimal for length.
    Meal wise, plenty of variety once I got my head around the book recipes and started understanding ingredients.
    A little research on the net brought up tons of gluten and grain free recipes. I’ve just found one for chickpea flour pasta so I’ll be trying that this week, it could open a whole world of possibilities. Link to the recipe is in the white flout thread.
    Use your imagination, you’ll be surprised at what delicious goodies you can come up with.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Bill, we’re neighbours! I’m in north east England too.

Also like you I prefer imperial rather than metric ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

When I get home next weekend might try chickpea flour and/or coconut flour recipes. Wondering what effect (if any) it will have on my blood sugar. Any thoughts?

• posted by Bill1954
    on

They’re both full of fibte and complex carbs so I think they can only be good.
    Mind I find the coconut flour flatbreads very filling.
    I need to have another look at that coconut mama website, it has tons of recipes.

• posted by georgiarose
    on

I’ve been wondering about pasta and olive oil when MM and many others talk about the Med diet. We are restricting olive oil to 1 teaspoon now on salads, but hubby did find that one olive is only 5 cals Franash, so a few certainly don’t hurt. Will check out the chickpea flour recipes, Bill1954. Coconut flour, oil, etc used by our Paleo son (blood sugar 4!) for several years now, so familiar with the coconut mama website and some good recipes. My bloods 6.9 this am, down from 17 last Sunday when I got scared into this diet! Keep travelling this healthy road all and thanks for your posts.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Well done Georgiarose, the lower blood sugars are a great incentive aren’t they?
    Captainlynne, I had a bit of concern about the chickpea flour carbs too. Had a discussion with Bill who posted more info. I’ve made a few things with it and it’s had no effect on my blood sugars. I prefer it to the coconut flour for savoury dishes, and to be honest haven’t had much success with the coconut flour.
    The worst disaster was the no carb waffles. Made some for my mum’s birthday to have with strawberries and cream but they were truly awful lol. Will have to look at the coconut mama website for more ideas.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Cherrianne. I’ll check it out more when I get back next weekend. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by Denise47 Jones
    on

I’ve done my first day today and have enjoyed reading this! Very encouraging to see that the hunger pangs subside, and that the weight losses are steady. Very excited about tomorrow’s lunch, but not sure about the green tea and blueberry breakfast smoothie! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

• posted by franash
    on

Good luck Denise47Jones! Welcome.
    Bill1954, I’m in Victoria, Australia!
    Glad Georgiarose, those olives were a good choice then!
    I had a little speedhump last night – I find when I bake it hard to resist having some – I made vegemite scrolls for the kids lunches. i knew it would be a challenge, I ate one, but I guess its good I stopped at only one. First decent carbs in almost a week. Yep, my last day for the first week is tomorrow. Good luck everyone, keep at it.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hmm Franash, wonder what they’d be like made with chickpea flour? My kids love vegemite scrolls and pizza scrolls to take for lunch. I haven’t been tempted so far but you’ve got me wondering….
    My family have already decided that Bill’s flatbread recipe ( the coconut one but made with chickpea flour instead), with rosemary and garlic would make a great pizza base ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by franash
    on

Sounds like an idea. Where do you buy chick pea flour Cherrianne?

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Foodland and the bigger IGA’s have it here in SA, also the bulk bread making/ nuts/ dried fruit type shops. Health food shops charge lots for a small amount usually.
    We have a shop in our Central Market in Adelaide called goodies n grains that sells it. I don’t remember if you have a shop like that in your big market ( is it Queen Elizabeth?), I’m usually too busy at the hippy clothes stalls to look anywhere else lol ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Franash and Cherrieanne, I made a simple pizza using the chickpea flour flatbreads for lunch yesterday. Of course it doesn’t taste the same but it is acceptable. I only dry fried it one side before putting toppings on and baking in oven. In time we will get used to these different tastes and textures. Of course it is much easier for me as I haven’t been able to eat anything with flour for several years so have probably forgotten how real bread tastes lol.
    When I served spicy chickpea flatbreads with beef curry last night no one seemed to notice the difference – and they weren’t on this diet. I did explain half way through the meal but folks said they just taste like Indian flatbreads.
    Cherrieanne I am so sorry my post sounded like I was attaching blame to T2 diabetics. I reread my post and it did come across like that. I was just wondering if a large plate of white pasta caused bigger spikes in blood sugars than say 2 slices of white bread??? I really don’t know. That was the link I was wondering about in regards to the Italian family I know. Hypothyroidism is a metabolic disease which means diabetes and hypothyroidism are strongly linked so I am in a similar situation to diabetics. The impact of this diet on my health and well-being is telling me the link is even stronger than has been supposed.
    I hope your kids enjoy the scrolls ( by the way what are they?) if you try the chickpea flour version. They have a really healthy life style – all that fresh home grown food and good clean air!
    ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by franash
    on

Fair enough ! I’m in Gippsland so will check out some local spots. thanks

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Lynne and bill, that’s 3 of us in north east england!

• posted by De13
    on

About to have dinner on Day 1. Was really surprised that I wasn’t hungry at all today after the avocado and tuna for breakfast and the no-carb ploughmans for lunch ( minus the ham cos I’m not a fan).

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Oh no Hashimoto, I didn’t mean you!! I meant me, feeling guilt because in general it would seem that the medical profession views type two diabetics as somehow bringing it on themselves. I am part of that profession so I know how the condition is viewed by some.
    Your post didn’t come across like that to me at all. Please don’t feel bad, I love reading your posts! ๐Ÿ™‚
    I think that pasta and bread has kind of overtaken the true Italian diet. It used to be a small amount of pasta, meat occasionally but more often fish, and the main components were vegetables, beans, foraged herbs and leaves, cheese, nuts and fruit. It’s come a long way since the original peasant style of cooking and eating and is now as carb heavy as any western diet.
    Scrolls are a kind of bread or sometimes scone dough which you roll out into a rectangle, spread with Vegemite and sprinkle with cheese. You then roll it up like a Swiss roll and cut it into thick slices. Lay the slices flat on an oven tray and bake. You can buy them in the shops here but they are usually too heavy handed with the vegemite and so very salty. Homemade ones are healthier.
    Pizza scrolls are the same principle but spread with a tomato based sauce, mushrooms, olives, capsicum, cheese etc. great for kids lunches and picnics. If I can make them lower carb I can indulge too.
    My kids do have a lovely country lifestyle. We have 95 acres for them to run around on yet are only 20 mins from the beach. We have chickens for eggs, home grown veg and used to milk our goats but they’re too old now. We are lucky enough to get fresh raw milk from a friend’s cows. As much as we can we eat fresh, seasonal, unprocessed food. We know how very fortunate we are to live like this, not something I would have thought possible if I had stayed in England.

• posted by franash
    on

Good stuff De13, you are lucky!!!
    So whereabouts are you Cherrianne? Sounds nice.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Wow 3 north easterners
    By the time we all lose our weight Whitley bay cliffs will rise 6 inches from the sea ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Can just imagine it Bill ๐Ÿ™‚
    Franash, I’m in the lovely Adelaide hills, probably the closest place you would recognise is Victor Harbor? It’s about 20 mins from me.
    I have family living in Gippsland, near the coast. Beautiful place and some great farmland too.

• posted by Shadow2
    on

Just put a post on another thread (cant believe how nany threads there are) asking where to get chickpea flour in the north east of england. Can get besan flour but nit sure if that is the same. Hashimoto your spicy baked beans are lovely, didnt miss the toast!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Besan is chickpea flour Shadow2

• posted by Shadow2
    on

Thanks so much bill1954 will get sone on my daily walk.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I got my gram (chickpea) flour from Asda. I expected it to be with the ‘free from’ stuff but it wasn’t. It was with the world foods stuff. It wasn’t at all expensive.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks shadow 2. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Oh cherrieanne what an idyllic life for your children. Can’t believe you are so close to the beach but in the hills with all that land as well.
    What age were you when you moved to australia? And thanks for explaining the vegemite scrolls ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Shadow2
    on

Thanks janet, will go back to asda even the shop assistants could not find the chickpea but did find coconut flour with other flours.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

My Asda didn’t stock it, I was told that it is only stocked in stores in areas with a higher ethnic population than there was in their area.
    Plenty of Asian foodstores around so it shouldn’t be a problem finding it.

• posted by buffy045
    on

Well day 1 over, not hungry trying to drink water which i keep forgetting. heading to bed to avoid picking as this is my danger time.
    No food upstairs so best place for me. Thanks so much for all the tips regarding food. also hearing others doing well makes it
    seem easier to get on with.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi franash
    You can have snacks. Popular ones are hard boiled eggs, home made soup, a small piece of cheese and so on.
    Good luck with the diet
    Penny

• posted by franash
    on

Good on you buffy045, recognizing our weaker times is half the battle, then avoiding the situation altogether. Baking is my danger time, so not that I do that much, but at least I know it now.
    Thanks pmshrink, coz there isn’t much mention of snacks. all good.

Please log in or register to post a reply.