Journey through January

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Wow Cathy well done! Ditto to all who are losing at the moment. And for those who are not – for whatever reason – keep on because it WILL happen! Thanks for the affirmation there shoegirl 🙂

Welcome to all our newcomers and hello to the old timers. It’s amazing to see so many lovely people on here and all making progress in our own different ways. I’ve lost 3lb since I restarted on 2nd Jan – despite being wayward this week. My original plan was to have lost another 3lb by the end of January so I will give it my best shot next week. But my longer term goal is to get to 133lb by the end of March – so another 10lb to go. If I can manage 1lb a week from now on I should make it …. but I am the queen of self-sabotage 🙁 Dry January went well until I met up with an old work colleague last week ….. but surely to goodness 1lb a week is not too much to expect -even with my lack of self-discipline?

Good luck everyone and hope we can help each other move forward, no matter where we are on our journeys through January X

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Dreamscometrue – you can definitely achieve your goal this year. In my experience it’s hard to predict how our weight loss will happen. On paper it seems like it would be easy to lose 1lb per week but it doesn’t always work out like that especially if, like me, you are a slow loser. Like you, I am determined to get back to 133 lb this year and ideally I’d like to achieve it before my holiday at the end of April. So as not to be disheartened with my predictably slow loss, I have decided to break my weight loss into small steps; as each milestone is achieved I will consider it to be a win. Waiting for the big prize at the end seems a long way off so psychologically for me, small wins will hopefully keep me on track. I know that getting to 133 is definitely doable because I did it before in 2017 when I started BSD at 175 and one thing I learned from this way of eating is that when we get to goal it doesn’t really matter how long it took. My next goal is 145, I’m chipping away, step by step with you and everyone else trying to achieve our goal.

• posted by PositiveSpin
    on

Hi all – I have been doing really well but I’ve decided to stay off the scales for at least another week (so two weeks in total) I am now looking at how I feel, and how my clothes fit instead. I’m fitting into a jacket that I bought on sale before Christmas that I couldn’t even get my arms into previously. My comfortable jeans are loose. Work trousers that I avoided wearing because they were too tight and uncomfortable, now fit. 🙂 Anyway, I am trying to up my veggies this week and lower the grain carbs that are still in my diet. My water intake is good and this week it will be hot again so I’m not worried about not getting enough water. It is so much easier to stick to water in summer, and a hot summer at that.

There are a number of people at my work (NY resolutions) who are fasting twice a week – not specifically 5:2 but I thought I might transition towards 5:2 at the end of my 8 weeks. I’m asking them lots of questions on what they are doing and how well they are coping. I will be half-way through come Wednesday! Wow, January is flying by for me. I am overseas for a short time next month but I don’t think food will be an issue, lots of choices available so no excuses.

Hope everyone has a good week, stick with it, focus on non-scale victories. 🙂

on

How is everyone doing? Only a few days left of January, it’s flown by! I am keeping low carb, fasting and staying around 800 calories. My body is changing even though the scales haven’t moved since Friday last week. My work trousers zipped up a lot easier this morning so I am not going to be too disappointed if the scales don’t show a loss on Friday as I can see that something is happening! This could be plateau week for me scale wise! Just got to keep on keeping on.

Looking forward to reading how everyone has done on Friday and looking forward to continuing towards goal in February. I am anticipating that it will take me a fair few months to achieve my goal and I won’t be going anywhere until I see 133 on my scales.

• posted by sunnyshels
    on

Hi all,
    I got on the scales after a couple of weeks off them this morning and was very disappointed for only 0.4kg loss. I have had a few slips away from the 800 restriction admittedly but I thought I was doing enough activity to have achieved a better loss than that based on my previous experiences. It’s a bit disheartening but I will soldier on as I am not giving up. I was hoping for more dramatic changes more quickly but I need to remind myself that it won’t happen if I make bad choices with my energy intake (particularly alcohol at the weekends)…. 🙁
    Again, I am going to aim for more exercise this week and aim for a 1kg loss or close to it, I want to crack into the next kg down range on the scales. 🙂

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi sunnyshels. Do you think you are drinking enough water? The aim is around 2 litres a day.. Glad you are sticking at it. This way of eating really does work if we plug on!

on

Hi everyone and lovely to read so much positivity on here.

Cathy am so glad things are going well – it’ll be so exciting to see you get back to your goal this year 🙂 Sunnyshels remember it’s also about measurements and other NSVs as well as the scales, so even though there is not as much movement as you’d hoped, there will be good things happening (I’m speaking to myself here as well as I am very numbers orientated!).

How can there only be two more days of January to go?! I’m definitely sticking around so can set up a February thread if people are interested? Any ideas for names? Equally if anyone else would like to set it up I’m happy to hand over the proverbial reins!

I’ve stalled a bit this week. I’m on strong antibiotics for an infection and have to take them 3 times a day with food; spaced out as much as possible but at least 4 hours apart. So that’s kind of scuppered my TRE, which seems to work best for me. And I’ve been a bit heavy on carbs as I feel pretty exhausted, so a pesky pound has crept back on. But as many of us know, this WOE – and particularly a burst of Fast800 – welcomes us back and soon reverses any upward trend. So I’ll be back on board after my drugs finish at the weekend.

Enjoy the last couple of days everyone. Maybe on Friday as many of us who want to can post results from our January Journey? Not just numbers but any other positive changes too? See you all then! X

• posted by Riccoh
    on

I’ve had a few hiccoughs through the month. Birthdays, time away and functions to attend. I have roughly followed the plan and I’m so pleased I’ve managed to lose 4k. Back to plan yesterday and today I return to the gym. I’ve had bursitis in my hip which has made it painful to even walk and I was prescribed rest.It has been very hot at times here in Sydney so I’ve tended to stay in the air con. Thank goodness for solar. I am usually outside gardening most days but not lately. I was feeling very low yesterday morning but my husband helped pull me out of my rut and I’m excited for what the future WILL bring. We looked through some old photos of me when I was at my ideal weight, way back in the 80s. I stay away from the camera these days. All the best everyone. We can do this.

• posted by Riccoh
    on

Dreamscometrue. Fasting through February.

on

DCT- I am definitely in for February and thank you for offering to set us up with a February thread;. I have been thinking of names and have come up with an idea…Frugal in February. We usually get a few good ideas and I am confident you will choose something appropriate for us all to be part of. I’ll be posting my end of January weight loss and positive changes on Friday morning and am looking forward to reading how everyone has got on with their Journey through January.

• posted by Denise susan
    on

Hi everyone
    I am definitely in for the next round and because I am in Australia and have a wedding to attend I am going to kick off the non anything based I have no scales, no tape measure and only old clothes that were too big before I left so it is difficult to know but I am sure I see more of the floor in front on it is not as obscured by my boobs!! I am amazed at the gaps I can squeeze through so I definitely know I am smaller.
    I caught myself in a full length mirror and honestly didn’t recognise myself and even in photos I am beginning to look so much better.
    I have 3 more weeks on my holiday need to rebook my flight as I was returning via China!!
    If I can find some scales I would love to weigh but at present I am happy with how I am doing and the last week I have been vegan plant based which is very interesting trying to stay lowish carb and sugar.
    My friends are following Micheal Greger http://www.nutrition facts.org he certainly has an interesting take on reversing diabetes the vegan way.
    Everyone has been doing so well. This is a way of life and 3 years on I can really say this holiday it is true. I have not been perfect but the old me would have been so different and I am now reaping the rewards.
    Let’s keep it going guys xx
    I hope to be 10.7lbs by the end of February which would be a 14lb loss and I am sure I am well on my way!! If not it is something to really aim for!!

• posted by shoegirl
    on

That great, Denise Susan!! Body shape changes feel like you’re on the best path! Sorry to hear you’re having a tough time at the moment, DCT, sounds like you have a good mind-set so hang in there! I like the sound of “Fasting Through February “, Riccoh. Or, if we are trying to stay strong, ‘February Fortitude’??

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi everyone,
    I’m a first-time poster but have followed the threads here for a while.
    I made a soft start to the year by cutting out all sugar from Jan 2nd, and then going into fast800 from Jan 13. Have so far lost 6 kilos with I’m very happy with.
    I’m also quite amazed that the program is working for me, but I think I have finally lined up all my stars for weigh loss. I’ve been diagnosed with hypothyroidism since 10 years back, being on medication (levothyroxine) ever since. Even if “well controlled” on medication my weight has steadily increased over the years with many failed attempts to lose weight. The increased weight has also put pressure on my joints with bad pain in hips preventing me from exercising. Adding a sugar addiction to this makes no good combo!
    Now I’m on an additional medication for the hypothyroidism (liothyronine) since many months and it seems to at least have stopped my weight gain. I’ve also got some treatment for my hips and help with careful rehab exercise in a gym. I’m on the fast800 and above all – I’m very motivated.
    Am planning to do the fast800 with some planned pauses during the spring. I was very motivated by reading in MMs book that dieting with breaks can actually give a better outcome in the long run than one long stretch of dieting. The theory is that you keep up the metabolism, and perhaps also learn a sustainable way of living as you will still keep some limit on your eating during the pauses in the diet. Previously I have been an all or nothing person – as soon as I failed, I would consider it a lost cause and give up. But this new info really boosted me into thinking in a new way.
    I would be very interested to hear if someone else have experience with hypothyroidism and the fast800 programme.
    Good luck to everyone in February and thanks for all the inspirational posts.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hi all, lovely to read of everyone’s progress in January.
    I’m still plodding along. Another half a kilo lost this week so my loss for Jan has been 2.5kg all up. Like you Cathy my work pants zip up a lot easier now compared to the start of the month! I’ve been trying to increase my daily step count and last weekend got up to 21,500 on Saturday as I walked over 15km – feet were sore for a few days afterwards!
    Looking forward to February,
    Especially as there are no birthdays, holidays Or anniversaries on the horizon,
    So I should be able to stick to plan! I think with the amount I want to lose (20kg) it is going to take all year, but I’m just focusing on small goals of 2kg at a time and taking it one step at a time. I celebrated the first 2kg loss by having a pedicure.
    See you all in the Feb thread 🙂

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Great idea DCT to sum up our sucesses in January. For me, I will echo those of Cathy and SueBlue. I have had to wear my most formal work clothes for the past few days. I hadn’t worn them since late last year, and they were so tight then that I was in despair thinking I would have to give up and buy the next size up. Now they do up easily and are comfortable to wear. I’ve also manged to get back into fasting. It is not easy all the time, but I do feel I am getting better at it as I go on. Today for instance, I was in my office in the morning and had to be at a trade show/educational event for the afternoon, followed by a professional dinner in the evening. I decided to try fasting for the 24 hours ahead of the dinner, but I was a bit worried that I might not cope well when I was going to be up and moving around so much. But by the time I hit noon and was ready to head out of the office, I knew I was going to be fine. By that time I was deep into fat burning mode and felt like my system was just humming along. One of my colleagues offered me a chocolate ‘to keep me going’ before I left the office, and it was not difficult to turn it down. I was enjoying the feeling of no longer being hungry and having an endless energy supply and I didn’t want to ruin that. Dinner was a buffet of mediterranean dishes. I ate well, but didn’t feel the need to overeat. I normally might have been tempted by the array of desserts, but I was informed by the organizers at the start of the meal that I couldn’t eat them due to my allergy, so in the end that was not a temptation at all.
    So, to sum up, in addition to discarding a bit of weight and inches, flexing my fasting muscle, and making some fairly good food choices most of the time, I can also confidently say that I met my January goal of not eating any chocolate. The bar of 90% Lindt is still unopened in the fridge, and I’m not at all tempted to eat it, so I know I won’t eat it before the month is over.

on

Morning/evening everyone!

My journey through January has been the usual roller coaster of ups and downs. This morning I am 1.6 lb heavier than I was yesterday! Anyway, my total loss for January has been 2.6 lb. I am disappointed the scales don’t show a better picture but the trend is down, I am in ketosis, I can see I’ve lost fat and I am resolute in sticking to low carb. A slow loser through and through but a loser nevertheless. I am off to get a steroid injection into my left big toe this morning. This could mean that if it works I am able to walk and thus help my weight loss. So it’s onwards and downwards for me. My clothes are less tight, I am not hungry and I am 2.6 lb less weight so I think January has been a WIN.

Good luck to everyone weighing today. I will enjoy reading your January journey stories.

on

So here we are already! How has the journey been for you?

Cathy, well done that you are losing again even though as we know it can be very up and down. But you’re heading in the right direction which is great news. This month I have lost around the same as you. Not as much as I’d hoped, but to be fair I haven’t really been on plan the last couple of weeks. I had actually lost a couple more pounds by mid-month but they are now back. So I’ll be starting February at 144lb and would love to see the scales at 140lb by the end of Feb. But I also started taking measurements during January and saw no change there, so for me that’s the main goal for Feb as some of my smaller clothes that had started fitting fine again not so long ago are now beginning to feel a bit tight. So here’s hoping!

I’ll be back on board on Monday once my antibiotics are done with. I want to be more structured this month, as that helps me stay focused. Something like a 24 hour fast from Sunday to Monday evening, TRE and Fast800 recipes from Tuesday to Friday, and cutting myself a bit of slack over the weekend.

Arcticfox sounds like you are doing really well and have achieved a number of goals during January. Well done! SueBlue – my lovely fellow plodder! – am so glad all is well. Slow and steady will get us there (and you Cathy!) and I can’t wait for you to achieve your goal and celebrate with you. Meanwhile I’m glad you enjoyed your pedicure: it’s great to build in special treats to reward ourselves for mini milestones along the way – and that’s a really good tip to motivate ourselves.

Welcome Olive_1! Well done for posting and for your fabulous loss in January! it sounds like you have the right approach and you’re making really good progress. I don’t personally have experience of hypothyroidism or how it fares with the Fast800 – does anyone else on here know? And Riccoh you’ve had an amazing loss considering all the events and circumstances you describe. Well done! I found that one of the joys of doing this is that gradually you begin to like the way you look again, even in photos. It WILL happen for you Riccoh.

DeniseSusan what an eventful trip you’re having! It will be so interesting to do weights and measurements when you get back but as you say you can tell that something positive is happening from the way you look and feel. I do hope you get your return flights sorted!

Thanks to Riccoh, Cathy and shoegirl for fab name suggestions for February. So we have fasting and frugal and fortitude. I’ll set up the forum later today and try and find a slick combination of all of those 😉

Well done for your journey everyone – it’s been great travelling with you, and see you on the other side!

• posted by shoegirl
    on

January for me has been a time to get back into this WOE and to realise that it is a manageable way to live, with cm and weight losses along the way. I feel very positive as I move into February. As I’m a Saturday morning weigh/measuring person I’ll post my results on the new forum. Have a positive weekend everyone, KOKO!

• posted by Gattina
    on

Hi all
    I signed up but haven’t been active on this thread, but I thought I would just round up the month. January has been a bit up and down for me – started well – got a bit lost – then back on track. As of today results for Jan are 13lbs down from 2 Jan. Started at 16st 5lb now 15st 6lbs – not quite a stone but I hope to achieve that by the end of the week 🙂
    Well done all loosers and keep going everyone who’s faltering – keep an eye on the big picture. We all stumble on the way but as long as we keep heading in the right directions it’s all just part of the journey.
    I look forward to seeing you in the February thread
    x

on

Gattina that’s an amazing loss! Very well done and I’m excited to see your progress in February. Wise words there shoegirl and will catch up with you tomorrow X

Please log in or register to post a reply.