Izzy's reboot!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Well as with many I followed BSD 2 years ago (approx- I forget) and I lost loads of weight, enjoyed the food and felt great. Then I kind of just stopped and we all know what happens next.

So I’m back, ready to start again. Anytime is always the right time but this feels like the right time for me lol. My son has just started school and I’ve changed my work hours so I need to build a new routine anyway so why not build BSD back into my new routine at the same time? Yep No reason why not.

So, I’m going shopping later today so I’m going to make a plan for our food this week and get my shopping done, and get started.
    Looking forward to getting to know anyone here as well as reconnecting with anyone who is still here from before and remembers me πŸ™‚

I don’t have a huge amount of time to spend online but I will pop in and out. I’ve got the kids, work, and trying to kickstart a crafting business so life is far too busy for me to be feeling like I do.

I just feel that I’ve become so big again that I’m losing agility, losing energy, feeling old…. you guys know how it is. So REBOOOOOOT TIME.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome back, Izzy. I’m sure you would have preferred not to be coming back, but as you are, we’ll all be here to encourage and support when needed. Get on to some of the other threads, there’s lots of positivity around and great ideas and inspiration.

The good news is, you know you can do this and that the BSD works. Best wishes for getting to your goal swiftly.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Izzy, of course I remember you (my cat is called Izzy – sorry). Good for you for coming back. I have never gone away but have had ups and downs and staying with the site and the diet have at least stopped my going back where I started. Note of hope, I am back on track this week, starting Tuesday last week and I am already 3.5lbs down with still 2 days to go. The diet is very forgiving and will work for you again. Good luck.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Welcome back, Izzy! It’s great that you’ve decided to get back on the BSD wagon and on the forum where you can always find support from people who know what you’re going through. Are you planning on doing the 8 week Fast800 again?

• posted by Izzy
    on

Hi everyone thanks for the welcome backs πŸ™‚ Yes I’m going to do the fast800 again – I did it for longer than 8 weeks last time but just wasn’t as religious about sticking to 800 and just kept the carbs low.

I’ve made a plan so I’m heading off to get the shopping in now as well πŸ™‚

• posted by Bissell
    on

Hi Izzy, welcome back, I was wondering about you only the other day. How’s the crafty stuff going?
    I’m still here, more or less (!) maintaining, but slowly creeping up, if I’m honest. So, fresh start today for me too!
    Best of luck with everything.

• posted by Jax51
    on

Hi there, I’ve just written some goals & plans & thought I’d look here for some help to restart, & delighted to find you allπŸ˜€Especially Izzy rebooting same day as me πŸ‘ & well done sunshine-girl!
    I’m a serial dieter, never really achieving very much, but always trying. I work & have 2 adult sons living at home studying, & husband working long hours. We’ve divided the chores & cooking etc, but it’s still up to me what they cook & we have various allergies ( I carry an epipen) and intolerances ibs etc between us, so food isn’t easy to coordinate. This time I’m considering sorting my meals separately & prepping in advance to limit excuses.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on mid afternoon snack that’s nut & sesame free? This is my weakest time of day, when I’m most likely to fail & I figure if I can have something ready I’ll be prepared.
    Enjoy the Bank holiday if you’re in the UK😎

• posted by Izzy
    on

Hi Bissell so nice to be remembered 😊 crafty stuff is great still really enjoying it all!

jax yay I have a reboot buddy! Afternoon snack hmm… yoghurt with a few berries? Nuts are a friend for me I can imagine it would be harder without them πŸ˜‘ a little bit of cheese with tomato maybe? A slice of ham.

Other advice I remember from 1st time is to let go of the preconceptions we have about what constitutes as ‘breakfast food’ or ‘dinner food ‘ or ‘snack food’

A small amount of anything you like that’s BSD friendly would be ok for a snack. I had soup for breakfast last week for example. Not known as breakfast food but I liked it ☺ I’ve a new pot made yesterday and I’ll probably have a cupful after work as a snack.

• posted by Ancient Weaver
    on

Ooh, what sort of crafts?

I find cheese is the best afternoon snack, and if I overdo it, I just eat accordingly less for the evening meal. That said though, I am trying to remember to use drinks to keep my appetite in check between meals.

I’d like to do a proper fry up breakfast, but it’s too much effort too early in the day, so I usually have either a protein shake or berries and yogurt.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

You’re right about forgetting what constitutes a breakfast food or a snack food etc. Soup makes an excellent meal any time of day.

I often make little veggie patties with a few eggs and whatever veggies I have available, sometimes with a little cheese too – you can also add herbs or spices if you like. The mix is fried off by the tablespoonful and the resulting patties keep very well in the fridge, so can be made in advance and either eaten hot or cold. The last lot I made came out at 51cals and 0.7g carbs per pattie, but obviously you would need to make calculations according to what you use in any batch you make.

• posted by Jax51
    on

Great advice guys, thanks. I eat veggies with eggs for breakfast as do the whole family…it’s strange to think we’ve only been eating this way for a year or so, it would have been alien before, previously cereal! 😧I need to get back into the smoothies & already on my 4th glass of water for the day πŸ‘
    I like the veggie Pattie idea, I’ve seen similar with muffin tins & I in a slow cooker, which you then divide up. I need to be mindful not to overdo the eggs though…are 2 eggs per day ok? Or do people think that’s too many?
    Love yogurt & berries too, although I wouldn’t be able to stop with cheeseπŸ™€ No control..reckon I’ll have to weigh it & perhaps grate it.
    Any thoughts on oats? Think I’ve seen a recipe in the book with coconut milk? I’ll have to check.
    What crafts do you make Izzy? I’ve got a Harry Potter jumper to finish 🏰

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I found the veggie/egg things done in muffin tins stayed too soggy – much prefer the patties. couple of eggs a day should be okay I think, providing you are getting plenty of veggies too. Steady with the smoothies, keep an eye on the carbs, especially if you are adding quite a bit of fruit. I found when I was using smoothies as part of the BSD, it was difficult keeping the carbs down, as even a little fruit seemed to have quite a big impact on the resulting carb content.

Oats are a no-no for me because of the carbs, but I know some people still use them. I guess it depends what carb allowance you have set per day and the size of the portion you are eating. Personally, I steer clear of all grains and cereals, just to be on the safe side. Even doing that, there are days that it’s a struggle to keep my carbs as low as I prefer.

It’s important to weigh/measure everything you consume, even a small piece of cheese for a snack, otherwise there is every chance that you will be eating more cals and carbs than you think.

Have a look at the ‘Review, Renew and Refocus …..’ thread, as there are lots of foodie ideas on there.

Best of luck …

on

Eggs being bad for you is another myth. Free range are actually especially good for cholesterol! For normal non diet eating, I consider 3 standard eggs as a portion but they are quite calorific, so that’s 250calories, so when I’m trying to keep to 800, I frequently have just one. Eggs are excellent food, so I try to have some every day, and If I haven’t eaten much in the day, I do still have 3 as part of my evening meal.

Definitely a good idea to weigh cheese! Sometimes 1/2 oz is enough . . . sometimes not. πŸ˜€ Definitely needs to be savoured for maximum satisfaction.

I used to love porridge. I made it with 50/50 oats and ground almonds, but it’s taboo until I get to a healthy weight. (For me, all cereals in whatever form are now taboo and root veg are only allowed as a taste, not a proper portion.)

• posted by Izzy
    on

Hi everyone πŸ™‚ well there is always lots of talk on here about carb limits but ultimately these are down to the individual. When I read Mr Mosely’s book it didn’t say anything about that – just eliminating the processed stuff and generally having less carbs in particular the simple ones. Any actual limit is individual choice but it can be useful to track and see what works for you.

Processed porridge – the instant stuff is definitely not BSD friendly but he does say in the book that a bowl of proper oat porridge is probably ok for some – again down to the individual.

Eggs – 2 or 3 eggs is fine, totally agree that too many eggs is a myth! they are a very good nutritious food and also a boiled egg could be a good snack JAX! I pickled some last time I did BSD and loved those.

I used to make mini quiche type things in silicon cupcake moulds – those were nice πŸ™‚

Craft stuff – I paint, sew and make stuff with beads. It’s been a bit of a journey really! I had an art teacher tell me I wasn’t artistic when I was 11 and I never tried to paint anything again until I was 40 and looking for something to help with anxiety. So I anticipated painting on paper for medicinal purposes and binning it – but actually I’m not bad at painting and now several people I know have artwork of mine of their walls so that’s awesome. I also had an old sewing machine of my Mum’s and I started sewing too – making keyrings, purses, handbags, cushions – ooh and a robot bean bag lol. I upgraded my sewing machine and I’m addicted to all of the above. Ultimately I’d love to make a living at it but it won’t be soon due to other commitments but I’ll build it up slowly in the meantime. I don’t think we are allowed to post links like that on here are we? But if you look on Facebook for Dragonfly Dreamseeker – that’s me.

Ok so lets have a run down of my day so far food wise.

I got up and had my morning cuppa and 3 boiled eggs ( love them mashed up with salt and pepper)
    AVOIDED biscuits offered by a customer – woohoo for me.
    Drank 1.5 litres water as well as some tea and the day isn’t over yet.
    Home about 1500 and had a cup of soup. (veg and lentil)
    dinner was turkey and bean casserole with broccoli.

Earlier my son wanted an ice lolly and as is our habit I asked him to get me one without thinking. I ate a tiny bit off the top then thought NOOOOO and then my inner saboteur kicked in saying… oh it’s just a bit of frozen juice what harm can it do? and then I thought no. I don’t want it, I don’t need it, so I binned it, which I’m kind of proud of. It shows how much of my eating is habitual.

Unfortunately even sitting here with a full of turkey casserole tummy – I’m now thinking I’d like to eat more – I won’t list the cravings and give anyone ideas but needless to say I want to eat lots of the things I shouldn’t!

So… Once my son is in bed I will hide in my den and make stuff or paint stuff and hope I can avoid it tonight and sup lots of herbal teas. If someone wouldn’t mind popping along and tying me up so I can avoid raiding the cupboards that would be grand, thanks in advance πŸ™‚

• posted by Izzy
    on

I’m on 734 calories, so if I am starving later I might have another cup of soup and see if that staves off the cravings – better that than biscuits!

on

Wow, I wish I could draw like that! I’m jealous of your den too! πŸ˜€

• posted by Izzy
    on

My Den is my favourite place Ancient weaver! it still needs a second coat of paint and then I plan to use the den as a big canvas and paint fantasy scenes around it πŸ™‚ As for wishing you could – well every thing I’ve learned about painting has been from youtube tutorials, I’ll bet you could surprise yourself if you wanted to give it a go!

Foodwise I’ve managed to avoid stuffing anything else in my mouth today and it’s bedtime so I *should* be safe now… Night all πŸ™‚

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Izzy, your food today looked quite low in fat. Were there healthy oils, nuts or cheese in there somewhere? Veggies and legumes, depending on which ones and how much of them, may have an okay amount of fiber, but probably not enough to give you a feeling a fullness. Turkey is so lean it’s really just protein. A half ounce of cheddar has 54 calories, 4 grams of fat, 3 of protein and makes a lovely last course. A half ounce of Brazil nuts is higher in calories (87) and has 9 grams of fat. It’s my preferred close to the day. A woman cannot live on soup alone. πŸ˜‰

• posted by Izzy
    on

Lol it wasn’t deliberate to have next to no fat just how it worked out today. It will balance out, I usually have cheese most days and I’ve got some full fat yoghurt in the fridge. Tomorrow’s dinner is going to be roast chicken and I will roast some veg in olive oil, I also like nuts so I’ll munch those sometimes as well. For lunch tomorrow I remember last time I did bsd making little wraps with lettuce filled with ham, cheese and tomato. I’d forgotten actually how many bsd friendly things I liked to eat!

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Izzy,
    Welcome back. You’re making some of us feel ‘the passing of time’. Your son’s at school now and some of us remember you setting up your den.
    Your craft work (as always) will be helpful in keeping your hands busy and it’s such an outlet for your creativity. The other positive is that the den is away from the kitchen.
    Looking forward to reading your thread and contributing to the conversation.
    Best wishes.

• posted by Izzy
    on

thanks guys, it’s nice to see faces old and new πŸ™‚ and day 2 has dawned. I’m off work today – we’ve been juggling this week as My son is only on week 2 at school and still only half days. I’ll be working the rest of the week though. This morning the plan is – walk to school with son – take the long way back for steps πŸ™‚ then I’ll have my breakfast which I think today will be a few strawberries and some fage yoghurt. After that it will be out in my den for a couple hours as I’m attempting a few new bag designs so it’s cool to have the time without my son around and I can have a look at some of the other posts here too because I haven’t had the time yet πŸ™‚

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Izzy! Good to see you back — I too remember when you were setting up your “creative room” — I wish you continued success! The good news is that it is just like riding a bike — you already know how to do it and it is sort of automatic to start again. Best wishes.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Welcome back Izzy! I also remember your creative stuff, and also took many recipes you shared into my family – they still loathe the cauliflour pizza but we all enjoy recipes from links you shared. I am still here, up and down in weight but never going back to where I was before, in spite of a few ups and downs with my mental health. Currently taking a leaf out of others on here and trying a 36 hour fast (well, cups of tea with minimal whole milk excepted) to shift from a plateau. Going ok so far, it will be interesting to see if I manage to sleep with the rumbling tummy!
    All the best for your reboot – you were amazingly successful last time and I know you will be this time round too.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Hi everyone, pleased to hear some of my recipe’s are still being used πŸ™‚ I still use them too – just ate the other rubbish as well.

Been a funny sort of day, anxiety peaking over some work stuff but hey ho.

Breakfast was Fage and strawberries blended with a chunk of banana and some skimmed milk (I know I know it’s low fat but I actually don’t like full fat milk)

Lunch was little gem leaves with ham, cheese and tomato, I also had some pecan brittle ( adapted recipe from Elena’s pantry site)

Dinner was a chicken leg and some soup as I didn’t feel like the roasted veg.

I also had a mini crunchie. Bad mags. It was in the midst of my anxiety earlier and I ate it and afterwards whilst contemplating what else I could eat I gave myself a good talking to so not as big a loss as it could have been.

I eat when I’m bored, tired, anxious, stressed. rarely due to hunger. It’s habitual and I need to deal with these issues.

When I’m tired I try to acknowledge it and go to bed.
    Anxiety is an ongoing issue – I do what I can to minimise the triggers, I use creativity as medicine. I talk to my husband and my besties, and I listen to meditative music.
    Stress – I avoid drama, and minimise stress where possible.
    habit – difficult as sometimes food is eaten with barely being noticed. I try to be mindful.
    when hungry – attempt to eat the right food.

More work stress tomorrow that I can’t avoid but it’s just a day, the rest of the week should be more manageable.

I made a handbag this morning whilst my son was at school and made most of a dreamcatcher this afternoon πŸ™‚

• posted by Izzy
    on

so far so good for today

I had a shakey thing for breakfast like yesterday’s one.

and some pecans

making pasta bake for the family tonight, so I’ll probably make myself a veggie bake with courgettes and tomatoes and onions and garlic and and and whatever else is in the fridge I’ll need to look. I may crack an egg in as well see how that turns out and sprinkle on some cheese – dependant on how the calories are mounting up.

I got through my work assessment today which was difficult, uncomfortable and stressful but at least it’s now over with and work should be fine for the rest of the week. I have another hard work thing in about a week and a half but I’ll worry about that at the time.

I’m pretty pleased that I didn’t go off on a binge today as these things really peak my anxiety – I guess I’ve learned more than I thought about coping with anxiety.

I’ll have a wee mid week weigh in tomorrow I think, I like to see how I’m doing. I’ve not taken any measurement this time but I should really… even if I only do it once a month. Maybe I’ll do it on Friday as it’s the 1st september πŸ™‚

cheeribye for now.

• posted by Izzy
    on

I’m cold, I’d forgotten about that side effect of BSD 800

I just checked the thermostat thinking I’ll pop on the heating for a bit and realised it’s already 21.6 degrees c in here so I can’t possibly justify putting it on πŸ™

Jumper and a cup of tea it is then.

• posted by Izzy
    on

I also forgot about the headaches πŸ™

Tomorrow will be better (but I have stuck to my plan)

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Well done Izzy for sticking to the plan. Not easy at first but it does get better as you no doubt remember. Hope you sleep well.

• posted by Jax51
    on

Well done Izzy sounds like you’re doing really well.πŸ…How’s the steps today?
    I’ve been rather haphazard with some meals spot on but others, well there’s definitely room for improvement. I’ve been averaging around 1000cals per day, so I have lost 2lbs in 3days. I need to cut my carbs to much lower, can anyone direct me where I might find more information on amount of carbs/ fats to aim for best results. I’m not diabetic but my BMI is 31.5 so at risk.
    I have been having cold sweats & very tired, thought it was a virus, but maybe it’s not? I had to get up at 4am for a hot water bottle lol β˜ƒοΈ.
    I will get back on my meditation tomorrow & work on being mindful and present.
    How’s your rumbling tummy Julia18togo?

• posted by Izzy
    on

Morning all πŸ™‚ Thanks Julia, yes the headaches don’t last long and we get used to feeling a bit chillier lol. I had a midweek weigh in and I’m down 3.5 lb’s woohoo.

Jax, reboot buddy! 2lb’s off in 3 days is great! Many people ease themselves in a bit gently so it’s not really an issue that you’ve not been 100% as you can work towards that goal. Some people cut their carbs or calories and then work on the other, or a combined approach. You can sort of tailor it to what you need – just don’t let it be ruled by your mood as in ‘I’m mad today I’m having a sandwich’ lol.

I’m supping my shake for breakfast – my only problem with fage yoghurt is that I’m the only one to eat it, and a portion is 1/5 of the tub. The tub says to discard once open after 5 days so basically – if I open the tub and don’t want waste I’m having it every day for 5 days lol.

I didn’t report o yesterdays dinner which I actually rather enjoyed…

I quartered one onion, cut half a cougette into chunks, chopped 2 slices of bacon, quartered one tomato, cut half a large celery stalk into chunks. All tossed in a bowl with some olive oil, half a spoon of lazy garlic and chilli. Then all baked for 20 mins in the oven. Taken out and added half a tub of passata, mixing it around. made a well in the middle and dropped in an egg and added some cheese on top. Lots of salt and pepper. Back in the oven for 15 mins (I like my eggs very very cooked)

it was awesome. Deffo on my list to have again.

Right yesterday is gone so time to get on with today. Have a great day πŸ™‚

• posted by Izzy
    on

Forgot to answer – steps have been around 9500/day average. I’ll get my 7 day average above 10000 by end of week I expect πŸ™‚

• posted by Marsie
    on

Just catching up on threads outside my usual run, as its taken ages catching up on those too. A few days away from the web and I’ve missed so much.

So welcome back, Izzy, seems as though you’re making a pretty good re-start. Hope we can all help along the way.

• posted by Izzy
    on

hi all, thanks Marsie, I struggle to find time to read much as well!

Had some unexpected stress in the middle of the day and at one point drove past a shop thinking ‘ooh I could just get something small’ but HAHAHA you silly habitual cravings! I knew you’d try me so I took no cash or card to work. Mwahahahahaaaa

I won that time. Hopefully next time too but I’ll worry about that at the time.

Anyways another day at work over. Hubby is cooking tonight and it won’t be 100% BSD. He is cooking chicken in a shop bought jar of sauce, so there will be a little of something I shouldn’t have in there but not much, and he doesn’t cook often so I’m eating it. He’s gonna do steamed broccoli for me instead of rice so should be kind of like…. 95% ? That will do.

ok me BSD lovelies I’ll check in later πŸ™‚

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Hi Izzy just to say I hope you are doing ok, missed posting myself for a few days and see you have too.
    I am doing better than in recent months on this, somehow I seem to have got myself more serious on the fasting front and the weight is dropping. Just about to have a Stornoway black pudding and egg breakfast after a second 36 hour fast. Trying this trick to get my blood sugar levels back to normal levels, as FBS was creeping up from what it is normally. Very pleased with the weight loss results so far, hoping to break the 79 kilo barrier some time next week.

The other day I tried a variation on the cauliflouur pizza base with grated brocolli instead, and instead of almond flour I used coconut flour, an egg and a tiny bit of grated mozzarella. It was absolutely yummy, and could be picked up like a ‘nromal’ pizza without falling to bits! Thanks to you I have got a bit more creative with my food.

Enjoy the lovely sunny day – I know you are further north than me but Edinburgh has awoken to a stunning sunny September day. Unfortunately I need to clean the house but will be doing my best to get finished and out into the fresh air of the garden pronto!

• posted by Izzy
    on

oooh julia, please post the pizza recipe! how lovely that you’re being more creative with your cooking and blaming me lol, but really you have done this yourself. I might have given you one or two ideas and I’m so happy to have helped but you have achieved this yourself πŸ™‚ it’s been sunny all day here too! I may even have caught the sun on my face a bit today which could be a bad thing as I was wearing sunglasses all day which could lead to funky tan lines haha

As for my posts – well yesterday I was just busy so that’s why no posts. I prioritise my mornings for Morning pages (anyone else read The artists way by Julia Cameron? – another great Julia!) Basically every morning instead of sitting on the internet as I used to, I spend my first 20 mins of the day writing anything that comes out, good or bad, ugly or indifferent. It’s very cathartic and good for the soul, but it means my morning time is more limited as sometimes I have time to be online and sometimes not. Then after work yesterday was the usual kids stuff, THEN my Mum phoned for her weekly catch up and then it was pretty late and I still had to organise all my stuff for the gala I was going to today so just had no time, but I did ok with my BSD.

Today hasn’t been great though lol. I’ve eaten loads that I shouldn’t at the gala because I wasn’t organised enough. I’d thought about all the other stuff but for some reason didn’t think about food so I’ve basically had a day off almost, however none of this waiting till Monday nonsense, I’m not even waiting till tomorrow. If I eat anything later today it will be BSD friendly food.

Slightly dispirited about my craft stuff though – I listed loads on ebay that ended yesterday and only sold two small items grand total on Β£1.49 and today only sold Β£6 of stuff (cost me more to go) however once the kids stopped trying to make me have a mental breakdown it was actually quite a fun day, so I don’t mind as much. I will find my customer base slowly I just have to be patient, and make more stuff πŸ™‚

• posted by A new me
    on

Hi Izzy! I am back on this site after too long and I’m hoping to reboot as well. I did the fast 800 almost a year ago with great success. After I reached my goal I made the mistake of gradually eating more carbs than I should have and I have put some of the weight back on. I haven’t braved the scales to see how much, but my new wardrobe is starting to feel tighter and I don’t feel as well as I did when I was more careful with my diet. I know now that it doesn’t take much for me to become addicted to the wrong carbs. I am terrified to go back to where I was and to sabotage all of the effort I put into my health over the last year. Now I am back and determined to get back in control. I think it is very positive to see others starting back again after set backs. In the past, I would have given up after slipping, but I know this works and I also know how much better I feel when I stick to it. Hang in there everyone!

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Izzy sorry to hear that yor craft stuff didn’t all sell. Hope you had a better start to the week as it is always tough at the beginning of a reboot. Best wishes flowing your way.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Hi, A new me, well done for coming back before you put too much back on πŸ™‚ I’m sure you’ll be back to feeling well and comfy n your clothes in no time.

Hi Julia, it’s ok I still have faith in my stuff it’s just going to take a while to get where I want to be.

I’ve had a rubbish couple of days, still got several stressors and I’ve had a fall out with someone – it’s complicated. I don’t actually want to be friends with this person anymore and I have no regret about the actual fall out, but I’m concerned about another friend around it – can’t say too much what with this being the wide open internet lol. Anyway I’m anxious, about many things right now.

In fact I’m so anxious that I have questioned wether this is the right time for me to be trying this again – that old chestnut. Lets just delay and delay and delay until we die. That’s where that mindset would get me. Ultimately there will never be a good time. Doing this now in an imperfect way is better than doing it perfectly NEVER. So here I am.

On a positive note I did lose 4lb’s last week πŸ™‚ and this week is far from over… I’ve been 95% today.

Please log in or register to post a reply.