Izzy's 8 week diary :)

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Scotch eggs are a boiled egg, usually wrapped in pork sausagemeat, then coated in breadcrumbs so not too healthy. My version uses pork loin blitzed in the blender with herbs and spices so not full of crap, and no breadcrumbs. I posted the recipe in the recipe section. They are quite filling and one with a little salad is nice for lunch at work for me.

I have run out of steam today! need to take my son out for a walk or something but I’m feeling like just staying at home.

I try to keep carbs to around 50g as well, but I’m not overly worried if I sometimes go a little over.

• posted by Izzy
    on

turns out my carbs for today won’t be too bad. I’ve had some chickpeas as well πŸ™‚ I’ll be 53.5g carbs later after my chicken curry dinner. onions are quite high carb but I love onions πŸ™ put them in so many things.

Lunch though… I had 3 boiled eggs mashed up in a cup with salt and pepper. I had forgotten how much I like that it was really nice!

• posted by thepolly
    on

You could maybe make a crumb from the scotch eggs with blitzed nuts or flax seeds? I think I need to investigate bran as it is indigestible so wouldn’t add to carbs or anything else but would help with general movement elsewhere. Also thinking that maybe a cheesecake would be possible with bran as a base – all theoretical at the moment as I’ve never used bran.

Enjoy the rest of the day

• posted by Izzy
    on

I hadn’t thought about making a coating as I’ve enjoyed them as they are but it might be worth having a look. I’ve got enough little projects for now tho lol

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Thanks so much for the info Izzy! Happy Mother’s Day to you!!

• posted by Izzy
    on

you’re welcome, it isn’t Mothers Day here in the UK though we had ours earlier in the year πŸ™‚ Happy Mothers day to those whose day it is though!

• posted by Izzy
    on

I’ve got a pizza in the oven at the request of the kids.

Give me strength not to eat it!!!

On a positive note I’m noticing my work trousers getting loose!

I thought I posted this morning here but I surely didn’t send it whoops lol. Oh well.

I’m excited that this is the last day of week 3 and tomorrow is my official weigh and measure day. Who could have thought I’d look forward to Tuesdays lol.

Today I have had 2 boiled eggs for breakfast.

Lunch some chicken, cherry tomatoes and cucumber. Salt and vinegar chick peas and 2 strawberries.

Dinner is going to be hunters chicken and courgetti. I will not eat the pizza, I will not eat the pizza, I will not eat the pizza….

• posted by Izzy
    on

In other news I have jars, pickling spices and vinegar to make pickled eggs πŸ™‚

• posted by Izzy
    on

Good morning fellow ‘life changers’ πŸ™‚

So today begins week 4! yay!

Morning weigh in is 2.2 lb’s down. My waist and bust are the same measurements as last week but my hips are an inch smaller so I guess that’s why I’m feeling my trousers loosen. I forgot to do fasting blood before breakfast but I will do it tomorrow , it is only out of curiosity for me anyway not needed medically.

I’m really happy to be 10.2 lb’s lighter than I was πŸ™‚ Hopefully the stone mark is only two weeks away, but I’ll keep at it regardless. I’m enjoying my food and I don’t really feel like my diet is restricted. I’m shocked looking back at how much crap I was eating and feel an element of shame but I’m trying to talk to myself like I would a friend. There is nothing to be ashamed of. I was carb addicted. I hope I’m not anymore but I guess as with any addiction it can rear its ugly head randomly so I will try to stay aware.

Todays food…

Breakfast yoghurt and raspberries

lunch cheese, tomatoes, cucumber, branston pickle, chickpeas

dinner chinese chicken with cashews and broccoli

I was going to have soup for lunch but it’s hot here again, well by our standards its hot lol. Probably cool for many of you at the other side of the world. I could probably do with a bit more lunchtime variety on work days but I will keep working on it and look for different ideas, because if I want to maintain my weight once I’ve lost it, BSD will need to be a lifetime thing.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Oh maaannn I’m so tired. I’ve just warmed up with a herbal tea after my walk with my friend and it will be off to bed for me in a minute. We walked around 8 miles and 20000 steps. Tomorrow we are going on a history tour in the city.

Minor update to food I didn’t have time to cook chicken and cashews, well that and my husband forgot to get cashews!

I fried up some bacon, added a spring onion to the pan (it was looking lonely in the fridge) then added a little garlic, then courgetti and cherry tomatoes, cooked through, finally a little tomato puree stirred through and a bit of chilli salt on top. It was actually yummy.

ok, bed for me, night everyone.

• posted by Izzy
    on

morning. Got to run soon, but wanted to log in as I tested my bloods this morning and it was 4.8 so it would seem I’m fine for that.

I’ve had yoghurt and fruit for breakie, got cheese, tomato and pickle for lunch, no idea what dinner will be.

I have a meeting this morning… bacon rolls will be served. I’m in two minds… If I avoid it I will be surrounded by everyone else eating theirs lol. If I do eat it and am able to control the rest of the day then it shouldn’t matter much. We have these meetings only once a month. However if it sets of crabby cravings then that won’t make my day better.

I’ll decide when I’m there and see how I feel.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Izzy
    same thing happens to me re the bacon butties.
    I accept one, eat the bacon, and bin the bread.
    Works for me πŸ˜‰

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Izzy at school leadership meetings I did the same as Bill. If someone asks just say bread makes you ill πŸ™‚

• posted by HappyLife
    on

These are the real tests Izzy – try and remember the happy feelings after week 1, your blood sugar results look great, and you are really walking miles!! Those are worth a lot more than a bacon bum it seems.
    Wishing you the best!!

• posted by Izzy
    on

my bad, I ate it! But in all honesty I don’t feel the need to punish myself. I’ve not suffered any cravings from it, I ate my normal lunch and I’ve added it in to my fitbit log of food and actually I can still finish my day on less than 800 cals, and my usual carbs 40-60g.

What I DID notice though was how tired I became a little while after eating it. Something I’ve not really suffered from recently during the day.

It’s only once a month I have this type of meeting normally, every other instance of eating out I will have a choice of things to eat.

I’m going to have a portion of cauliflower and cannelini soup that I froze last time I made it, and two boiled eggs for my dinner before going to pick up my friend. Looking forward to the history walk but it won’t be 8 miles this time!

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Well you learned something important, the extra carbs or gluten make you tired!! I will add this is extremely common for people sensitive to gluten of which I am one…. I stay away totally for that reason alone.
    Now stay on board because you are my inspiration and I need you!!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

It’s hard to have to let people know we are eating a certain way or have certain restrictions we want to take – I know – I have to go to three dinners with a huge Chinese family (my hubby) soon and we decided we will tell them I can only eat tofu and vegetables at each restaurant with any sauce on the side. It’s hard being the odd duck, so to speak, but hey, I WANT TO BE THIN and HEALTHY and MORE ACTIVE so I don’t care what anyone says or how they judge…

Have a great rest of your day!!

• posted by Stacey
    on

Don’t worry Izzy, I went out for dinner with friends expecting to eat a salad, it was all planned as I had checked the menu before hand. I got there and the menu had changed and my meal option gone. It was pizza special night and I caved! I ate a whole pizza to myself and had the free wine that came with it :/

It took 5 days to start losing again but I still lost overall. its nice to feel in control and know that one blow out doesn’t end your diet.

• posted by Izzy
    on

yes Happylife you are right I like feeling tired a lot less that is for sure! I’m tired this morning too but I’ve had two late nights in a row.

Thanks Stacey, If we jump back on the wagon we will still get to our destination. Life goes on around us as we make our life changes and I’d rather step into it than sit on the outside. This doesn’t mean I will always compromise my new habits, but ya know… sometimes is OK.

I was really proud of myself last night. After dinner I zoomed off to pick up my friend for the history tour (got my 10000 steps lol) and due to a miscommunication we were too early, so we went to the pub. I was driving anyway so not tempted by alcohol, in all honesty I don’t much drink anyway so alcohol isn’t really a big deal. My friend bought a packet of crisps, and I didn’t eat any. Just had a diet coke. Now I know that isn’t best but fizzy drinks are a rarity for me too. Later on after the walk on the way back to my car we were both cold and nipped in to Burger King so she could grab a coffee and she also bought a do-nut. Again I didn’t have anything. I actually didn’t even want anything anyways but I still felt a little triumphant. I didn’t fall off the wagon yesterday, I just stepped off for a moment and jumped back on.

Today, I’ve had yoghurt and a satsuma, felt like a change! lunch is cheese and cucumber, and dinner is going to be chicken and cashews.

Tonight I am going to make pickled eggs πŸ™‚ but it’s two weeks until you can eat them.

Well I guess I better go start my day, but at least it’s the end of my working week. I only work 4 days.

Have a nice day!!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Izzy you are a STAR!!!! : )

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Brilliant Izzy
    You’re negotiating those tricky little hurdles that life throws at us with ease, well done πŸ™‚

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Wow Izzy you are amazing!’ Two stops and you stayed on target! Good for you!!
    Doing the happy dance for you!!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

That’s great Izzy πŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Izzy
    on

Thanks everyone πŸ™‚ it’s great to have your support! I did it again today… A customer gave me a cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit, she sat them on the shelf beside where I was working. So I drank the tea and thanked her returning the biscuit explaining I was ‘trying to be good’ and then we ended up having a long chat about what I’m doing and why etc. It was quite nice to chat about it randomly in that way.

I went to the shop earlier and restocked on a few things, and I have my pickled eggs almost ready to jar up.

Looking forwards to a day off tomorrow and will take an early night tonight as I’m tired still.

I also had a mad panic as when I got home from work I was blocked from posting! some anti-spamming message and said I had to ask for permission to post again. I sent a message to the tech support people but it’s taken a few hours to be allowed back in. Never mind carb cravings, I was having forum withdrawal anxiety!!

So… Do I post so much I am labelled a spammer? actually… don’t answer that.

Ok I’m off to sort out my eggs and head off to bed, night all πŸ™‚

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Woo Hoo Izzy, you are doing so well!!!
    If you are a spammer so am I as I posted a lot today! It’s our support system so it’s great!
    What are pickled eggs? I never heard of that and might love them!!!
    Big congrats on another day well done!!
    🌷

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Oh thanks i.e. the explanation and recipe!!! It looks great, I may try it!!

• posted by thepolly
    on

Izzy you are not a spammer at all and there are far more prolific posters than you but the forum can be addictive – probably in a good way lol.

Not sure if I do or don’t like pickled eggs, they are very strange. Usually love anything pickled though. Need to look into fermented foods I think. Bought a jar of sauerkraut the other day but haven’t had any yet.

Good on your eating, I think there is very little point in beating yourself up about slipping as that is usually the starting point for people leaping back into old ways. Your slip may have been useful too, as you saw how tired it made you feel. Silver linings.

It is weird how hard it is to for some to tell other people that what they are eating is junk and you are no longer damaging yourself with what they are choosing to eat. Happily I’m very blunt and not worried about telling people what I’m doing.

Harder week for me next week as it’s respite week and my mother is in the home for a week and I get to go stay with my boyfriend – already told him I’m not doing roasties etc. He made a face but I can always tell him (again) how to do them himself if he really needs to eat them.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Izzy you weren’t the only one, Lucia mailed me last night about the same thing. I would imagine that admin was experimenting with the spam controls to stop some of the cr@p that’s been posted and got the settings too high.
    Anyhow, it’s impossible to spam your own thread πŸ™‚ that’s what you do to other folks threads

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Bill, I suspect you’re right. One night I was wide awake at dawn so I opened up the BSD forums only to find one of the forums was spammed out by that Indian guy. The tech team emailed me to say ‘they just don’t give up do they? But since we tightened the spam filters we have stopped several hundred getting through.’

I guess they are still experimenting with tightening them. God knows how many they have stopped by now

πŸ™‚

• posted by Izzy
    on

well I’m happy they let me back in πŸ™‚ and I understand that it is better for us all to attempt to keep real spammers out.

I had my mid-week weigh in and I’ve lost…. 0.2 lb’s lol. Still got half the week to lose more/not lose more. I’ll take it as it comes.

Pondering my day as the weather looks like rain, but me and the little one might go out anyway. We could have a walk in the woods and splash in the puddles and mud if it does. Park if it doesn’t.

Food, I’m about to get busy and make eggs for breakfast, just as soon as I decide if I want boiled ones, or an omelette… decisions decisions! lunch is going to be cauli and canellini bean soup, which I will have a batch of cooking soon. Dinner, not sure yet.

My husband is complaining that I haven’t made more scotch eggs yet.

My daughter is complaining that I haven’t made more salt and vinegar chick peas yet.

This plan definitely has side effects hahaha.

• posted by Izzy
    on

added to the list of my husband wanting scotch eggs and my daughter wanting chickpeas, I now have my son having a massive tantrum, because clearly I am a terrible Mummy. All because I won’t make him eggs for lunch. He had eggs for breakfast! He is sat at the other side of the room glowering at me and crying, whilst his soup gets cold. Oh well!

I’ve been surfing the net looking for more foodie idea including the recipe threads on here and have saved many. Sending hubby a shopping list later, and I’ve ordered some gram flour and coconut oil which features in many recipes but I haven’t seen either locally.

For lunch I had the soup as planned but also a new experiment. I can’t remember if I saw it on our recipes or elsewhere but courgette pizza! The recipe calls for BBQ but I did mine in the oven. Slice a courgette into 3 long slices and spray with oil, bake a little on one side, turn over, add a little crushed garlic and bake a bit longer, then spread on tomato puree and top with cheese and bake a bit more. It was yummy! You have to eat with a knife and fork because it goes floppy but the taste is good!

In other most excellent news, Having now been refused eggs and an apple several times (he’s already had two apples) my son has admitted defeat and sat down with his soup πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Well done Izzy for not taking the easy option and caving in. : )

• posted by Izzy
    on

I mostly manage lol. He is happy now wandering around with a square lampshade around his middle ‘being a robot’

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Great job on losing this week Izzy and for getting through with your son!
    πŸ’œ

• posted by Izzy
    on

thank you Happy πŸ™‚ we are about to head out to the park and for a walk.

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Oh Izzy – forgot to mention re eggs – I found a recipe for deviled egg salad yesterday and my hubby bought the items and made it last night – it was delicious – – basically you just make your regular deviled egg recipe (do you eat those there?) and make it an egg salad – – I loved it because after two weeks I am over just eating hard boiled eggs and omelet eggs…. next I will try making curried egg salad I think.
    The egg sellers must love us!

• posted by Izzy
    on

yes we have deviled eggs, and that sounds nice.

I like to chop up my boiled eggs in a mug and add salt and pepper, I really like them that way

• posted by Izzy
    on

Evening everyone πŸ™‚ another day over and I’m getting ready to sleep.

Dinner was steak pie for the others with potatoes and veg, I made the steak pie filling ages ago as I usually make it in bulk in the slow cooker then freeze portions, cheating by just using the shop bought pastry. So I made that for everyone else, but for me I took my portion of cooked diced steak and put it in a big bowl. Then I added chopped onion, courgette, cherry tomatoes, some garlic, and drizzled on some olive oil and some hot pepper sauce. I mixed it all together then poured it into an oven tray. Baked for around 10 mins, gave it a stir and added tomato puree, mixed it all through and then baked again for 10 mins. It was actually nice. No idea what I would call it lol.

I’m now sat here drinking one of these…
    http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/17221/low-carb-hot-chocolate.aspx?o_is=LV

and it’s quite nice. about the same calories as my other idea of making hot choc with milk, but a lot less carbs so this is my new treat. I’m actually quite often low on calories so this is something I may end up having semi-regularly.

I’ve written out a menu plan for the next week so I’m going to be super dooper organised.

Also (apologies for tmi) I’m menstruating, so I’m ever hopeful my weight loss will speed up a little (I can hope!) Never know when to expect it with my wonky ovaries, but oddly my body seems to like being 40. I’m been reasonably regular since my birthday in January lol. Now that I’m not interested in having more babies my body decides to work. Silly ovaries.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Every time I do something right I am choosing to congratulate myself. We don’t do that enough you know. We are all hard on ourselves when we think we’ve failed but how often do we say nice things to ourselves? Not often enough that’s how often.

So today I am pleased to report that I have once again avoided *carb catastrophe* which is a phrase I just made up but sounds totally relevant to our lives here.

For a while now having enjoyed my fitbit flex I have lusted after a fitbit alta! An extravagance of course but it feels good to prioritise my health. I got paid yesterday and had a bonus and decided… I’m gonna treat myself.

My husband forgot to leave me our sons car seat, and I decided that we should go on the train. Bit of an adventure for my son! So we did. Got the train into town, got my new fitbit, a few things my daughter needed and then of course the kids wanted lunch. So bacon bun for the eldest, sausage bun for the youngest and for me.. . Tomato and basil soup. Did I want a brown or white bread roll? Just the soup Thankyou, and a cup of tea πŸ™‚ enjoyed the soup too. I confess I stole a bit of my son’s sausage but I’m thinking… that’s ok.

I can do this πŸ™‚ I really can!

• posted by thepolly
    on

You ARE doing it – and doing it well.

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Yeah Izzy! It’s these little steps that keep us all going to our goal of success!! Huge congrats to you!
    I must say the train sounds fun to me!!

Doing the happy dance for you on your win over the carb catastrophe (which is the perfect term by the way).!
    🌷🌻🌷🌻

• posted by Izzy
    on

I’ve spent the afternoon assembling two flat pack cabinets, I’m now sat here setting up my new fitbit πŸ™‚

Funny thing though… when I was busy assembling the cabinets, I split my trousers. They aren’t even too small if anything they were loose! I’ve wore them a lot so the fabric had gone thin and weak haha. They are now in the bin and I’m wearing my jeans.

Going to have courgetti bolognaise for dinner nyum nyum nyum!

I’ve also had a delivery of gram flour, almond flour and coconut oil. baking coming up!

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Hi Izzy – just had the opposite problem to your trouser one. I play fiddle and tomorrow morning have to be at the top of Calton Hill in my long kilt and white blouse for a recording. Floor length kilts being expensive, I tried mine on since it was on the tightest buckle at my last concert in March. It’s now too loose even on that tightest notch and I cannot make it any smaller without cutting a new slit in the waist😁

I have been absent from posting for a while since we have had exam stress and busy times outside of work but I have read almost all the posts on here and they’ve kept me going. I’m now doing a second round of 800 BSD since while I was keeping broadly to the principles I was eating larger quantities than necessary and not loosing more. Now down another kilo in a few days and taking recipe inspiration from the chickpeas and have checked out the pickled egg recipe too☺
    I’m loving the Cusique spiralizer too – courgetti with cream cheese and chilli is yum!

• posted by Izzy
    on

I’d love to be musical but I’ve not got the endurance to learn properly! I hope your kilt stays up tomorrow! Life will always get in the way sometimes but it’s great you were able to stick to the principles because at least you didn’t regain weight.

my courgetti is currently cooking, hungry now after going out for an hour long walk with my daughter πŸ™‚

• posted by Izzy
    on

I was still low tonight on both carbs and calories so I had another hot chocolate but instead of adding vanilla flavouring I added a drop of peppermint, it turned out nice.

It occured to me earlier that I am almost at the mid-way point of my 8 weeks. In some ways it matters little as I now intend to keep going, but it feels significant to have the 4 week milestone looming.

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Izzy I couldn’t have hot chocolate or the cravings would kick in I feel. You have good power!!

• posted by Izzy
    on

I think because it has fat and protein, and no sugar, it isn’t setting off any cravings.

I’m sitting here just now thinking about things and trying to reflect on my cravings. I HAVE craved things now and then over the past 4 weeks but not often.

I’m deliberately thinking of crisps and chocolate just now and actually I’m not feeling I want them. I’m sure if I had some I would want more. I think I was certainly sugar addicted.

I can’t really explain it, but a mixture of the way the diet works physically, and some mental stuff- I’m 40, been fighting my weight half my life. I don’t want my 40’s to be the battle that the past two decades have been. I want to have the energy for my kids, I want to have the energy to eventually go to Peru and walk the Inca trail and see all the stuff there, but I won’t be able to do that for years yet… I don’t want to be even less healthy if I don’t fix myself! I want to have energy to really live.

My husband and I had a hard couple of years first with his depression and subsequently mine. I think it took us to a turning point where we both want to choose Life, health, happiness. For us and for our kids.

I think it’s added to my motivation to make this work in a big way, but I’m certain this way of eating really does help to kill the cravings. That and the fact I’m finding some alternatives that I’ve really been enjoying. Like the chickpeas and the pancakes. I’m actually enjoying the food, enjoying the process. The whole experience of searching for ideas, using or adapting them, making up my own, the cooking, I’m loving it. It’s been an awakening of sorts!

I simply *must* continue!

and on that subject I’m about to make the gram flour drop scones recipe from pmshrink in the recipe section πŸ™‚

A good side-benefit is that my kids are eating these things too. Sadly my daughter (age 11 going on 16) -although I’ve always given her what I saw to be a good diet, she would always choose junk. I guess all kids go through that phase. But she loves the coconut flour pancakes and the chickpeas I make, also the scotch eggs. Even courgetti (if I do it in the oven) and I’m hopeful that feeding my son (nearly 4) more of what I’m eating may help to keep him healthier. At the moment I’m fortunate with him as there isn’t much he won’t eat.

I’m going to see how these gram flour drop scones turn out, and decide what to have with them for breakfast,

Lunch will be cheese and salad

dinner is going to be hunters chick chick chick chicken!

we have silly words in this house. Chick chick chick chicken, sausamidges (sausages) and when we go to the movies we visit the cinemamama…

yup we are weirdo’s. feel free to join in, it will suit you I promise. Weirdness is the future.

• posted by Izzy
    on

I made two batches of the drop scones (not a hit with the daughter but the son ate them)

They’re not as nice on their own as the coconut ones I’ve been making, but they are denser and the recipe suggests the author sometimes has them with soup. I think they could be nice dunked in soup so I’m going to save whats left for that.

The second batch I added blueberries to, and those were pleasant I enjoyed my portion πŸ™‚ I made them smaller so that I can have one sometimes just if I feel like picking (only 37 calories in one)

• posted by Izzy
    on

well I’ve made 4 scotch eggs (please the hubby)

and 6 portions salt and vinegar chick peas (please the daughter)

AND I’ve made tomato salsa and carrot crisps and oh my GOD it was so nice. I’m totally making that again.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/1626/grilled-tomato-salsa.aspx?o_is=LV

I’ve also done heaps of laundry.

and fed and amused the children.

I AM a domestic Goddess.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Inspired by your successes with new recipes I am attempting a cauliflower crust pizza which apparently you can even fold just like a normal one! I’ll let you know how it turns out 😊

Please log in or register to post a reply.