Is kefir okay on the BSD

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by suzcaps
    on

I have just been diagnosed with pre-diabetes – I am 46 and I am desperate to get my levels down to normal asap and found the BSD and will be starting today.

I have been drinking kefir daily for over a year and don’t really want to give it up but I don’t see it mentioned in the book and doing a search on the forums didn’t give any useful results.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Grateful
    Suzy

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

I occasionally have kefir for breakfast and mix it with flax and chia.

If you use the search function you will find it gets a regular mention on these forums.

• posted by suzcaps
    on

Sounds great thanks.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Suzcaps – I make Kefir every day and as JulesMaigret says it is good with seeds. It is really similar to yoghurt which is included in the BSD.

I particularly like it with ground flaxseeds and I also add Inulin as both give me extra fibre which I need because I still restrict carbs to under 50g. The flaxseeds are a particular favourite of mine and they thicken the Kefir so I can add other things. I often add fage yoghurt or mascarpone cheese as a topping and sprinkle on top of that some flaked almonds. Of course a few blueberries go well on top also. All very healthy and filling.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

The only thing I can see against kefir is the one cup has around 150 calories but it is rich in nutrients, depends how you want to use your calories if you are on 800.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Sunshine-girl
    Not sure how much a cup of kefir is but that does seem a lot of calories and an awful lot of kefir. I have 100g a day at 53 calories which fits in very well with the 800 and I don’t think I would want anymore. Husband has the same and that is the maximum he would have in a day.

Carbs are a little higher than Fage Total Yoghurt but not a lot higher.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I just googled it to find out what it was and that is what it said, like any computer info it could very well be wrong. It talked about it as though it was a drink of fermented goats milk though, not a yoghurt. Or it could be a very big cup.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

A cup is around 240 ml, I believe. Not sure what that is in grams as kefir is not exactly like water. It does sound like a lot though.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

I use organic milk to make it. You ferment the Kefir grains in the milk for 24 hours – strain it so you can use the grains to make the next batch. The texture is like runny yoghurt. It is supposed to have more bacteria than yoghurt. I did check out the carbs per 100g online in Biona organic Kefir in case fat secret was wrong but fat secret’s info was ok.

The Kefir grains look a bit like scrambled eggs I got them from a client who had got the grains from someone else.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

I buy mine from the goat farm up the road – I’ll get my coat!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

JulesMaigret – you are so lucky to be able to buy yours from a goat farm up the road. I am really envious.

• posted by Frog
    on

I read or heard an article about kefir a while ago & was very impressed
    I bought grains on line, had bottles of it in the bathroom – couldn’t bring myself to drink it.
    The basic flaw was that I don’t like milky drinks, ended up chucking it away.

• posted by suzcaps
    on

I love kefir and I make it everyday with full cream UHT milk. I find it has a nicer texture and it’s creamier. Just my opinion. I usually drink a cup a day approx 250ml and up until recently I added some maple syrup to sweeten it. Now I drink it plain. I started the Fast 800 2 days ago and realised that a full cup was too many calories. I will be having a large shot glassful until I am off the Fast800. At least kimchi has very little calories so I don’t have to cut down on that.😀

• posted by Juliemt
    on

I make my own kefir every day, with low fat milk which I will continue to do now I have started the 8 week program. I’m happy to add the extra 55 cals for half a cup as I think it’s made a difference to my health in a positive way.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Juliemt
    I feel also that it has been beneficial to my health. It has also been good for my Labradors as they have it every day also – they absolutely love it.

• posted by NeilE1970
    on

Hi all,

I have just started the diet and want to continue taking my home made kefir. I have lichen planus and it helped heal a sore on my shin that was there for 5 years; it’s certainly amazing stuff. I make mine using regular full fat milk. I have also found that if you let it ferment over a week in the fridge it makes a thicker kefir; this can then be used like sour cream or Creme fraiche.
    Do we have a definitive answer on how many calories kefir has per gram? Weight is more accurate over volume.
    Anyone wanting help with kefir I’m ready to help.
    Does anyone here drink kombucha?….its fermented tea but I promise you it is not as nasty as it initially sounds.

Thanks
    Neil

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

NeilE1970

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

NeilE1970
    Biona Kefir is 53 calories per 100g on fatsecret and although I make my own from organic whole milk – which is 60 calories for 100g – I use the Biona calorie count when adding up my daily calories.

I had litchen planus quite severely in the past and as long as I totally avoid sodium lauryl sulphate in my toothpaste and shower gel etc and have my daily Kefir I no longer have any symptoms. My Labradors adore it and are so healthy.

I keep meaning to look at kombucha but haven’t as yet.

• posted by suzcaps
    on

Hello fellow BSDers,
    I found this great article on how many calories homemade kefir has
    https://www.culturedfoodlife.com/how-many-calories-in-kefir/
    Basically it says that there is about 104cal/cup kefir with 1g carb/cup.
    I have been using these numbers in MyNetDiary since I found the webpage. I am now back to a full cup of kefir per day (I also believe it has great health benefits) and I have been adding 1tsp of maple syrup (1g carb/tsp) as I love it that way. I tried drinking it plain for a while but found I couldn’t always finish my glass. I just make sure I have enough carbs left at the end of the day to drink it. I am now on maintenance so I am only counting carbs at the moment and I always drink my kefir before I go to bed. I find it works best for me.

• posted by suzcaps
    on

Oops not sure what happened with the link and why there is a big cream rectangle in my post.
    culturedfoodlife.com/how-many-calories-in-kefir/
    Hopefully that will work.

• posted by NeilE1970
    on

Hi
    KrysiaD, I’m so glad to hear your LP is being kept at bay. The sulphate thing is an interesting one.
    Suzcaps, thanks for the link. I saw Donna’s site some time ago and haven’t been back there in quite a while…shes really gone for it in a big way. She has quite the interesting story if you haven’t seen it on youtube.
    Another great kefir site is Dom’s site…not as commercial as Donna’s but loads of info.
    http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/

Neil

Please log in or register to post a reply.