Is coffee OK?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Tink55
    on

Hi, I have read something about coffee interfering with some process in the liver so can I drink coffee on this diet?

• posted by Jackie WilsonSaid
    on

Dr MM was drinking coffee during the documentary Eat Fast & Live Longer, so I assumed OK. The general principles of giving your liver a rest apply, but more important for alcohol because of calories. So unless you are a Big coffee drinker you should be OK. Depending on the week, coffee is in the good or bad corner. A recent study of studies said that coffee drinkers had a 44% less incidence of liver disease.
    In the recent Australian TV programme he points out that 1 latte = 5/6 teaspoons of sugar, which was a surprise to me. So I have 1 good cup of coffee per day with a modest amount of semi to take the edge off.

I just found Dr MM replies to commonly asked questions on fast diet co uk, which confirms OK.
    It seems like posting the link caused this reply to get lost in hyperspace twice, so you’ll have to Google.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

I normally drink three cups of coffee in the morning – home made at just the right strength (mmmm), with milk.

I have given up taking sugar with these, and felt I was doing the right thing for the BSD.

However, I noted that in adding milk, the drink was 20 calories. So my three cups were 60 calories, which sounds fine but on one day made me miss out on my low-calorie but yummy miso soup later in the day.

Compared to what else 60 calories brings you, you have to think about whether the coffee is worthwhile! (It still is to me)

• posted by BSD
    on

When I started I counted the coffee calories, then I stopped, as I started my morning with a coffee and full fat milk (if you have semi you only put more in and it appears full fat milk/yoghurt & butter are better for you). This also keeps me going to 10am before I need Breakfast and then don’t need lunch to later so no snacking. Its all swings and roundabouts – but just work out what works for you. 3 months on it still works for me

• posted by Stacey
    on

I measure out 100mls of full fat milk every morning which equals 65 cals. I record this in my food diary and then use it for tea and coffee throughout the day, approx 4 cups. Full fat is better for you according to this diet and I find it makes me use it in moderation.

My tea and coffee are ‘snacks’ between meals and help with any hunger pangs. I really miss my cappuccinos though, instant coffee just isn’t the same but it does the job 🙂

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Tink, i have had my morning coffee from day 1. Just nescafe and a splash of milk (its just what i happen to like) and the diet worked fine for me..
    I’m asthmatic and coffee is supposed to be good for that.
    🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.