Indian Restaurant – Best Choices please!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Denise47 Jones
    on

I am off out on Saturday night for my baby Brother’s 40th Birthday on Saturday and we are going for an Indian meal in our local restaurant. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to eat? I love all Indian food but want to make sensible choices as I don’t want a bad belly. I will be on the wine, but am such a light drinker that won’t be much of a problem.

I am also making him a Harry Potter cake – he is only 40 after all! I will have to make sure he takes all the left-overs home with him!!

Any tips gratefully received!!

• posted by Lrred
    on

Hi, I’m new to this but I think I would choose king prawns in a tomato based sauce and lots of vegetable sides, and maybe ask for one spoonful of someone else’s basmati rice – and avoid naans because once I start on them I’d have to eat it all! I’d also tell the person who will be sitting opposite me what I’m doing so they could a. keep their carbs out of my reach and b. frown repeatedly at me if I was getting tempted to give in and eat them!
    Good luck!

• posted by GillyD
    on

Hello! I love curry so have to be careful I don’t scoff too much but dishes I choose are Chicken Tikka / Chicken Shashlik ( no sauce) with veg sides or a prawn curry… Have a lovely meal out!

on

Thanks.

Hadn’t thought about prawns and veggie side dishes! So used to just having chicken tikka masala, naan bread and mushroom rice that I’ve realised I haven’t really looked at the rest of the menu in years!!!

• posted by Jackie WilsonSaid
    on

Shahi murgh tandoori [chargrilled chicken on sizzling onions and peppers] with veg sides; no rice or naan or beer!

on

Ha ha Jackie – like I would drink beer? I assume that the poppadums are loaded with carbs too?

Really looking forward to making good choices on Saturday now instead of not planning and blowing it all as I usually would have done!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

I was at our local Indian restaurant a couple of weeks ago. I had chicken tikka starter and tandoori king prawns with salad for mains.
    Delicious and no adverse blood sugar readings.

• posted by Jackie WilsonSaid
    on

Nice combo Bill – and good to see the readings check out.

Popadum = 30 cals it seems.

on

Bill, you are the Oracle!

Thank you everyone.

It’s so wonderful that you’re all helpful on these forums x

• posted by Patsy
    on

Tandoori mixed grill, or any meat tikka – eat all the salad but none of the bread/rice. Veg side dishes. Onion bhajis, if made with gram flour are OK too.

Some of the sauces could contain a lof of sugar, so does mango chutney.

I looked up the breads (as I love Indian food) and all are made with wheat flour, so not good for us. Poppadoms are the same.

• posted by Peteinthebayou
    on

I’m in India right now and I love Indian food. Chicken Tandoori has been the meal of choice but today in a moment of weakness I had a small bowl of homemade mutton biryani one of the ladies in the office had brought in. It was sublime! I did go heavy on the mutton and light on the rice though. Salad for supper…although it’s mango season right now and apparently I need to try an alphonse mango; I never knew there were so many varieties.

on

Well last night went really well!

I had chicken tikka starter and chicken shashlik for my main – this was delicious! NO NAAN! NO RICE! I did have one popadum and 3 glasses of red wine (between 6pm and 11pm)

Did have a very small piece of birthday cake just to prove it wasn’t poisoned!

Thanks everyone, I am totally in control here – also, weighed yesterday morning (end of week 7) and have lost 21lbs! Amazing!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Well done Denise! 21lbs!!!! is fab! 🙂

• posted by Giz
    on

Can we have chapati’s? Gram flour!?x

Please log in or register to post a reply.