I'm Really Suffering

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Zandranna
    on

I’m now in week 4 of the 8 week blood sugar diet. The first 3 weeks went by fine. No hunger and cheap and easy to follow. Lost roughly 2lbs a week. So I was thrilled the weight had started moving.

Now in week 4 I am not at all a happy chappie. I woke up Monday to an horrendous bout of IBS and spent the morning running to the loo. IBS a couple of times a month for a morning is not unusual for me, so I put it down to the over eating of broccoli on the Sunday.

Tuesday I spent another morning barely able to go a few steps away from the loo. A second day in a row is unusual for me but I wasn’t overly concerned, thinking that I must cut down a bit on vegetable fibre, and this day I also starved myself to give my stomach a rest.

Then yesterday, the third day, not only was I running to the loo all morning but it also flared up late afternoon as well. Another day I was scared of eating, so another day of starving myself.

I am lucky with the way IBS affects me, in as much as I am not in pain, I just simply have to stay close to a toilet for a morning. But then last night just before bed I started to get the most amazing pains in my stomach. I spent the whole night alternately walking the floor and laying down with a hot water bottle on my stomach desperately trying to get some relief.

I have never, ever, suffered with IBS like this.

This morning as I sit here I am still in agony and now constipated. I can barely stand up straight with the pain.

I am now worried that I have done my insides up like a kipper with this very strict diet. I don’t mean the 800 calories as that wouldn’t affect me, but the fact that all the fruit, berries and vegetable fibre I have been eating, to compensate for the processed fibre that I no longer eat, has really messed my system up.

Is, or has, anyone else had problems like this?

• posted by Spuddy123
    on

Have only today found this website, after reading the blood sugar diet book. I saw your post and wonder – have you heard of, or do you already drink kefir? It’s very very good for your innards and packed with millions of beneficial bacteria, far more than yoghurt and the like. I have been drinking it daily for over a year now. I have some that I can send you to start you off if you like – it feeds and increases in milk, so the first lot should be all that you need, then you’ll be able to pass it on yourself. Best wishes.

• posted by Zandranna
    on

Hi Spuddy. Thanks for your reply.

I have never heard of kefir, but I have now looked it up. I sounds really interesting.

Can you email me on zandranna@gmail.com so that I can reply back as I can’t see where on this site we can send private messages.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Dandy
    You poor thing , that sounds awful.
    Forgive me if this is totally ridiculous, but could you have had a stomach bug? Those symptoms in a non IBS person would indicate that. Just a thought. Hope you feel better soon.
    Penny

• posted by Zandranna
    on

Hi Penny. That’s not ridiculous at all as I did wonder myself at one point if that’s what it was. However, it’s lasted 7 days now, although I have to say that it also seems to be getting less agressive and not every time I eat but only in the mornings. Now it’s just uncomfortable. I haven’t felt sick with it which made me think it wasn’t/isn’t a bug. I did starve myself for about 30 hours at one point over Thursday and Friday which helped.

I’ve been sitting here this morning thinking what I ate last Sunday to wake up with this on the Monday. Because my Granddaughter wanted to treat everyone to a kebab on Sunday I had their chicken and salad. Now I’m wondering if there was something wrong with the chicken and this has been a mild form of food poisoning. I’ve had food poisoning once before and I was very ill then for nearly a fortnight before it was totally out of my system.

But I do feel as if I am now coming out the other side as I’m feeling a lot better.

• posted by Kitty Malne
    on

Hi, I’m day 6 and have had exact same problems fr past 3 days. Don’t want to give up as I can feel I’m loosing weight already. Pretty sure I don’t have a tummy bug but I do have urgent, lose bowel action… I feel tired and headachy but I have also given up caffeine…I’m hoping these annoying side affect are withdrawal of carbs,sugar,caffeine & alcohol !, any thoughts?

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Dandy
    Yes maybe it was the chicken. At least now you’re recovering.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Sorry Sandy- keep hitting the D!!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Kitty
    Well that’s a lot of potent stuff you’ve given up. I suppose you’re reacting to loss of those –
    Penny

• posted by Zandranna
    on

Hi Kitty. Are you still having problems? Or has yours cleared up now?

• posted by Frog
    on

Not just me then – thanks for the link Zandranna, that was reassuring.
    I suppose it’s logical that any drastic change in what you’re eating is probably going to impact on your digestion. I’m not going to worry about it too much unless it persists – a couple of Imodium seem to have done the trick for now, and I’ll avoid caffeine for a day or so.

I’m not deliberately cutting out fat, but having a lot less than usual – no bread means pretty much no butter either!

• posted by Steve.R
    on

Hi all day 4 and i too have the runs not good when your a truck driver but im sure it will pass i figure its just the body adjusting to been fed correctly and getting out the toxins from years of abuse.

• posted by Frog
    on

Commiserations Steve, hope you feel better soon

Please log in or register to post a reply.