I'm new to the BSD day #1

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Emptynestmama43
    on

Looking for helpful tips and recipes.
    I was wandering if using alternative “flours” will be permitted I’m not sure about the “carbs” in
    Almond flour
    Flaxseed flour &
    Coconut flour

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Welcome to the BSD Emptynestmama43. I know that coconut flour is used as I purchased it to make the zucchini and pumpkin seed muffins for the BSD (the recipe is in the book). The coconut flour that I purchased per serving (14g – 2 tbsp) has Carbohydrate 8 g of which sugars 1 g. I can’t help you with Almond/Flaxseed flour but be assured that someone who has the knowledge will read your post and reply.

on

Thank you for the information Switzerland. So if the coconut flour has 8g carb and 1g sugar how is it allowed on this Diet or Lifestyle change? I thought No Carbs were allowed in this Menu.
    I may not understand completely because I have only discovered this way of eating today and I have only read for a few hours about it. I have some of the other flours already because I have already been trying to change my diet permanently and chose them because of learning to like the “out of the norm” kinds of foods when my diet Was extremely limited from age 6-14 for me because of disease, so my mother taught me to like different types of food and appreciate different ways of preparing them. So I will look on the packaging and post the Carb and Sugars exchange for the Alternative flours that I have.
    It’s funny I was already trying to change things and was somewhat headed in the right direction when I came across The BSD today.
    Thanks again Switzerland oh and for the heads up on the Recipe Book.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Emptynestmama43, The recipe I mentioned is in the ‘8 week Blood Sugar Diet’ book by Michael Mosley (hence this website). The BSD is a mediterranean style low carbohydrate eating plan. I noticed on one of the threads yesterday that Bill1954 explained the carbs/sugar nutrient labelling on foods and now, when I’ve tried to find the thread again, I can’t find it.But, there is hope. Someone else will read your threads and be able to give you an answer.

You’ll notice being on the BSD that it’s a pretty steep nutritional learning curve and there’s also things that we’ve been ‘taught’ in the past that all of us need to ‘unlearn’. These forums are just so valuable for the support and information that they provide. In a few hours our European BSDers will be awake and contributing too.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Emptynestmama43
    We don’t cut out carbs completely, we try to cut out the simple carbs found in rice potato wheat flour pasta etc. Coconut flour however has only the good complex carbs and heaps of dietary fibre so it’s ok.
    Chickpea or Besin flour is good too and can be used for flatbreads, wraps, bhajis, and batter, give it a try, there are recipes on the site for both flours.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi emptynestmama,
    Welcome to the forums and the BSD way of life!
    It sounds as if you are already very clued in about how to do this!

As Bill said it is the simple starchy carbs which we eliminate from our diets.
    Most foods have some complex, slowly absorbed carbs. Most people on this diet try to keep at 50g of carbs a day, or less. You can use calorieking to find both the calories and carbs in foods.
    I don’t know which country you are in but in the UK we need to deduct the fibre from the carbs to get the correct figure for us as it us an American site.

Good luck 🙂

on

I am having a hard time navigating the site so that I can start a new topic . I cannot figure out what I do or touch to start new topics or just report good news about my personal BSD
    …..HELP ANYONE!

on

Thanks I think I figured it out

Please log in or register to post a reply.