how to be social on the bsd fast 800

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by celestee
    on

hi everyone –

i was wondering – how do you approach social events & functions, particularly those with lots of food & drink?

i have just moved to a new city & am keen to make new friends however – i’m finding it a bit difficult with the fast 800. two reasons – one there aren’t always great options & two – this might be my ego talking – but i don’t want to explain myself to justify why i’m simply ordering salad and protein, no dressing & nope, i’m not drinking tonight? with close family & friends they all know and are supportive but…a bit TMI on the first outing with colleagues?

any suggestions or experiences? do i just need to flex my willpower muscle a little?

• posted by Epspecially
    on

oo good question Celestee – I haven’t much of a chance to try that out yet (day 5 today) but have been thinking about something similar as have at hen party to go to during the 8 weeks, and also a weekend away.

I read a comment somewhere that said to say “oh I’m full now but maybe later” when people keep offering you cake etc!
    Then people just forget it quicker and it doesn’t become a big issue “ooo you’re doing a diet are you? But you don’t look like you need to lose weight etc etc….” People are funny…they don’t seem to mind that as much as “I am trying to be healthy etc” – even though you’d think the second one would be better eh!! :-)) I think it’s because it makes them feel guilty or question their own choices maybe or just because they associate cake with a good time and want you to enjoy yourself? (or maybe I overthinking it:-))

On the protein and veg or whatever it is you do choose when you are out, I don’t think people would notice – and if they do I’d give a short answer rather than going into the whole story – well that’s just my take – it might be good to be able to explain the whole thing – but I know that afterwards I feel a bit exposed, even if people have been really supportive – so that might feel a bit weird with new people. And also it doesn’t define you – it’s just a way to healthiness that you’ve decided to go on!

I don’t know about the willpower thing – I think I read somewhere that will power works for so long but is tiring on your brain. So better to not have to use your will power at all, just do it because you are already totally convinced that this is a choice and nothing else. (I’m still working on that one:-)))

Anyway not sure if that was any help at all, I’m sure you’ll find your own answer. Exciting about the new city! – great opportunity to try things that are not related at all to food or drink, a new hobby, a new sport. Good luck with it all

• posted by Frog
    on

I’m going to stay with a friend for few days over the bank holiday – thankfully I know her well enough to say what I am and am not eating.
    When I’m going to be eating out , I check restaurant menus in advance, and get in first with suggestions of where to go – harder if you’re meeting new people though – or events with buffets, although the “no thanks, maybe later” would work well in that situation.

I found a local Korean restaurant looks very BSD friendly if I avoid the rice and noodle dishes, and this evening am going to Prezzo having checked out that they have a number of salads that will be fine if I adjust the dressing. The weekend I’m away there’s an amazing cliff top restaurant that does an amazing Sunday Roast – that should be fine if I just leave the potatoes. (or maybe have a tiny one!)

On the Alcohol front, maybe say you’re driving and stick to water or diet tonic? – Or simply say that you don’t drink alcohol (and hope no one tries to ply you with orange juice!)

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Since starting the BSD I’ve had a holiday, a residential conference, two whole day conferences, a training day and, today, a funeral tea.

It has got easier to cope when eating out as I’ve realised that in most situations people don’t even notice what I’m eating or not eating.

At the recent residential conference there were so many people asking for items to be omitted from various dishes that I soon stopped feeling strange about the changes I was making. The only comment was when someone noticed there was no dessert in front of me – they said it was paid for! Perhaps I should have ordered one and passed it to him😃

People are now noticing my weight loss and asking how I’ve done it. After almost 22 weeks it really had become a habit just to say ‘no thank you’ when I’m offered something I can’t eat – like Tuesday when everyone tucked into their packed lunches and I enjoyed my black coffee (I don’t eat at lunchtime any more), and someone offered me a home made cake.

I’ll soon be on holiday in Italy, staying with friends so I’ll be making the best choices I can. I’ve already told them I sang eat pasta and pizza any more (so they think I’m coeliac!). I’ll ask if we can go food shopping so I can buy more of the foods I can eat, that they may not normally buy and to help out with their food bills.

• posted by celestee
    on

hi everyone –

wow thanks for the tips! i really appreciate the feedback. i managed a a colleague lunch out – with no questions and had a great chat with some new people!

Epspecially – i have totally been ‘overthinking’ it too! just because people make funny comments & i’m not sure if it’s kind or concerning or judgement. but perhaps no one is really thinking much about what & how we eat haha!

Frog – I had a korean lettuce wrap for lunch! it was delicious and low cal & easily identifiable ingredients! & took your advice and picked it out beforehand from the online menu! preparation is key.

captainlynne – wow that’s inspiring!!! you’ve done so well! good luck in italy!

celeste x

• posted by Frog
    on

Glad it went well Celeste – I went to Prezzo, and had a steak and rocket salad – its excellent, just thin slices of rare steak on top of rocket, a few olives, peppers, cherry tomatoes – and rocket. Under 400 calories, one site said it has 25 carbs – I assume most is from the balsamic dressing – I must remember to ask for it on the side next time, and just for olive oil.

Please log in or register to post a reply.