how often do you weight yourself?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Gerard1
    on

I’ve been doing it for four weeks now. I usually weigh myself on the Monday morning and before breakfast. Seeing the weight fall off is quite motivating!
    I’ve also been reading that the article here, it says suggest weighing 2–3 times a week. Very de-motivating so I’ll stick with the weekly weigh in.
    What do you lot do?

• posted by JGwen
    on

I have been weighing myself each day and continue to do so, but over time I have realised that its best to focus on trends and staying in a range rather than getting hung up on the readings on the scales.
    There are a number of reasons why your weight may go up slightly in comparison to the previous day even if you have stayed on plan.
    Food in transit in your digestive system can make a couple of lbs difference depending on fibre levels.
    The whoosh effect, Your body doesn’t burn all the fat in one cell at a time, instead it takes a little fat from a number of cells replacing the fat with water, only when all the fat in those cells is used up is the water released (hence the whoosh) and the cells collapse.
    Remember that muscle is denser than fat, so you may see changes in inches but no changes on the scales.
    I have lost 90lbs since October 2017, but in the last couple of months I have dropped more than one dress size but only lost 1kg. I can have days where I stay on plan, eat low carb, and there is over 4000 cals difference between what I eat and what I burn. (I have a physically active job) and the scales show a gain against the previous day.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Hi Gerard – I generally weigh myself every week as the fluctuations tend to discourage me. At the beginning when the weight was falling off it was daily but now as JGwen says there are changes that aren’t reflected on the scales.
    Maggie

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Gerard. I weigh myself every day. As JGwen and Maggie say, there will be fluctuations. I think I would feel very down if a weekly result showed no progress (or a gain!), whereas one bad daily result is more manageable for me and I can put it in context. But it is very much a personal choice.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Gerard – for me, I do feel seeing daily fluctuations de-motivating so have gone back to once per week on a Saturday morning like I did when I first began. I was starting to feel anxious every morning before I got on the scales which is not good at all! Everyone is different with their preferences. 🙂

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Caroln,
    I felt yourself at the start, any week when there wasn’t a weight loss stressed me out. – It was only because I could see the changes of shape were continuing that I didn’t feel so bad, so now I would recommend to everyone to take lots of measurements so that they can monitor for shape changes as well as weight loss. – Alliecat says that by cutting to under 20g of carbs a day she managed consistent weight loss every week, but her health meant that she wasn’t able to exercise. I think I am the opposite end of the spectrum, my work is physically active and I have seen many periods of time when my weight hasn’t changed from one week to the next. – Guess thats why NSV mean so much to me.

• posted by marie123
    on

Gerard1
    Well done on only doing the weekly weigh-in and for completing your first month!

I weighed daily initially as the weight fell off (well, apart from the plateaus). I also did the whole balancing on one foot, shuffling to the edge of the scale thing if my digital scales gave the slightest hint that this might mean a slight drop in weight – fell off the scales once and banged my head on the bathroom wall.

Now I’m at maintenance I weigh 1 or 2 times a week and like JGwen says it’s more about staying within a (for me quite narrow) weight range. I also used a range of other measures to see how I was doing, body measurements were one of the things I monitored, but because they changed slowly for me, I also monitored my BP, BMI, % total body weight loss, blood glucose etc – and used a boditrax-type machine at the Leisure Centre to monitor my progress. It did help when the scales stuck – but I am also a bit of a data geek!

Let us know how you go on. And again, congratulations on what sounds like a great first month.

Marie

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

When I first started BSD I weighed myself twice a week Tuesday and Saturday. Eventually, When I got to goal weight I weighed every day to try and keep tight control. I have found that the scales have had a lot of power over me. If the scales showed a loss it was a great day. If they showed a gain it was a bad mood for me. I was a slow loser and often even though the scales didn’t show any loss, my clothes were loose. More recently I think I was becoming obsessed with what the scales were saying on a daily basis so for one month I have not weighed myself! I am going to get weighed on Saturday. I have mainly been low carb but had my son’s wedding at the end of June where I relaxed a little and then went on holiday and didn’t stick to a strict low carb way of eating. I am intrigued about what I will weigh on Saturday but I have felt happier not being a slave to my daily weigh in. I will always stick to this way of eating because it has worked but I think for me it is healthier not to be so obsessed with what my scales say. I may be back to Strict BSD next week and I think a monthly weigh in now I am at goal will be a healthier approach to maintenance and not a daily, weigh in which is up and down day to day which can make or break my day.

• posted by zinny
    on

Marie123 I have been there, teetering on the scale looking for a loss!. I do weigh daily as in the past I have found just burying my head in the sand and ignoring the scales leads to disaster for me. Better to see a gain and take action than ignore ignore ignore until I can’t get my biggest pair of jeans on.
    As I’m getting close to where I want to be, but still not quite into the correct BMI I too am very interested in NSV. It’s quite surprising that even though the scales don’t more so much now, dress size is altering. It’s such a buzz to try on a garment and see that it fits or that you look better in in than last time you tried it on. ( mantaray dress I’m looking at you). So to conclude, I think I will probably be a daily scale watcher, I even took mine with me when I had to go away unexpectedly!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

There is some research evidence that shows those weighing daily lose more, but I think everyone needs to do what is comfortable for them. Personally, I weigh daily as I find that I can use the result, regardless of if it’s up or down, as a motivator. Having said that, I have been away from home for four months and haven’t weighed myself for that entire time, so wish me luck for my weigh in on Monday morning! Hopefully I haven’t broken through my target weight whilst away, but I will tackle whatever the result is when I know what the result is.

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’m so impressed with your level of confidence, Sunny! I think I would have had to load the scales into the car, and
    take them with me. I do have a strong suspicion that monday’s weigh in will be great, though!

• posted by Fernie
    on

I weigh myself every day. I find my weight can fluctuate by up to 5lbs depending on whether I ate a heavy meal, how hydrated I am, time of the month etc. If I weighed myself once per week I would feel so despondent if it happened to be a ‘heavy’ day.
    I use an app on android called Libra, it shows a projection of where your average weight change is heading. There is one for Iphone called Happy Scales.

• posted by Thinking Thin
    on

I weigh myself everyday and during the first week I was amazed at what was coming off. Half way through second week, I’m not seeing the scales move, yet. Glad for your post, Fernie, so will see what happens at the end of week 2. In the book MM mentions a study that showed people who weighed themselves more often lost more weight than those who didn’t, but I suppose it’s finding something that suits you.

Please log in or register to post a reply.