How do low calorie, higher carb diets work?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Something I’ve been wondering about, is what happens to people on the ‘traditional’ low fat, low calorie, high carb weight loss diets? I know they’re rarely successful long term, but they often are in the short term, so body fat must be burned off somehow. If they’re not in ketosis, what’s happening?

btw, I’m not thinking of trying this type of diet, or suggesting others do, just trying to understand more about the process of weight loss.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I have been on WW a long time ago. I have 2 friends on SW and one has gained weight on that diet and the other is on maintenance and always stays slim. Difference between them one sticks to it and the other doesnt. One treats it as a diet for a few weeks or months, loses some weight and ‘comes off’ the diet, the other is always careful about food choices. All diets work, obviously in different ways, but you have to learn to eat different not just be on a diet and off a diet. I buy SW magazine every month, just to have something food related and in English to read, and I notice a lot of the recipes are going towards lower carb but the plan still allows for free carbs like pasta or rice – except the are not free, they are quite reduced portions so you are encouraged to cut down. If I wasnt diabetic is wouldnt give up starchy carbs completely but try to eat them as a very small side dish on some meals, not all. But now I am used to not having the bread or potatoes or rice etc and dont think I could bring myself to eat them. That is not me encouraging you to eat carbs, the vlc diet does work.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Thanks, Sunshine-girl.
    I suppose the best diet is the one we can stick to! I’m happy on low carb, as it allows me to cook and eat many of the foods I like, and which I believe are healthy.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Thanks, JGwen.

Interesting article. I’m really surprised that with all that exercise their metabolic rates went down, and continued to drop afterwards. That’s definitely not the way to go!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Talking of exercise. I tend to do aerobics in front of the TV in winter and my weight remain stable with staying on plan. In summer i do at least 30 mins per day in my pool and, ziltch, no weight loss. No difference. Why. I am not a fast swimmer but today according to my record keeper, I did 35 mins and 498 calories. I never lose more weight in summer. Puzzle. Can I just say, I am still on plan so I dont stuff my face to make up for swimming.

• posted by Squidge
    on

The only thing I can think of is that aerobics is a weight bearing exercise, and swimming isn’t. Could that make the difference?

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Squidge,
    The key is insulin levels. The “healthy” diet the program follows includes carbs and does not ensure that you are in ketosis.

If you are in ketosis then your body can access your fat stores, if your insulin levels are high then your body can not. – After a period of time, then your body says ok, food coming in has been restricted therefore to survive I need to get more efficient and metabolic rates drop. Thats why if you are following the program and recipes in the book which do not specify a level of carbs, then the guidance is to follow this way of eating and the 800 calorie intake for a maximum of 8 weeks. or sometimes 12 weeks.

Those of us who have a lot to loose have therefore done research and realise that its keeping the carbs down that protects your metabolic rate. In fact research shows that metabolic rates increase during fasting.

I know there are others on the forum who say if you are loosing weight at 50g of carbs then thats ok, but I don’t agree. – I know that I am sufficiently Insulin Resistant as a result of decades of a high carb diet that more than 25g of carbs a day puts me out of ketosis. So my advice is to stick to the 20g of carbs as a limit.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Reported as possible advertising

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Dr Sten Ekberg has a good You Tube channel. I’ve just watched this which
    I found interesting. It’s commenting on Jillian Michaels’ (Biggest Loser trainer and fitness expert) video re calories and his replies to her points.
    https://youtu.be/CELrtdXyHcU

Please log in or register to post a reply.