Hot Weather & Weight Gain

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Just thought I’d put this ” out there” 😀. I’m probably wrong but here goes. As the UK and other countries have been experiencing very high temperatures ( and probably higher humidity) I’m fairly sure that our bodies react by holding onto more water and/or many of us do seem to swell especially at our extremities – and therefore gain weight despite sticking to plan. So I just wanted to say if you really are sticking to plan and your weight gain seems inexplicable it may just be the weather. So drink more for now and wait for the weather to either get back to normal in the UK (you haven’t packed your thermals away yet have you?) or down to more usual temperatures where ever you are.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Thank you for posting your theory. I have just come back from holiday and have gained 7lb. My feet were exceptionally swollen on the plane home last night and like you say, the weather is hot here today in UK. I cannot believe that I’ve eaten 7lb worth of extra weight this last week because I have been good mostly and the times I have been bad will not equate to 7lb – there’s just no way. I’ve walked, swam and eaten mindfully so I am hoping that when the weather cools down the scales will show my true weight. I estimated I would have gained about 3lb so to see a 7lb increase on the scales this morning was most upsetting. Today I am drinking copious amounts of lovely cold water and hoping that my body adjusts to UK weather this week.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I very much doubt that hot weather causes fat, it may cause fluid retention so you are right about drinking more water. If it is fluid and that is quite likely, you will soon lose it once you get back on plan. By the way, holidays are for enjoying not fretting about food.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

It will certainly be water retention from the sound of it. Even if you have been eating a lot more it won’t have been enough extra calories to put on the weight as fat if you were basically eating on plan as it sound like you were. I would expect that over the next three days almost all of that 7 pounds will come off again if you stick to the plan and keep up your water intake. Good luck with your next true post holiday weigh-in.

• posted by Verano
    on

Interesting topic. I was just thinking this morning that I am sleeping far better despite being in a hot climate. The reason is that I’m not visiting the bathroom as usual at least once or twice in the night. I put it down to being dehydrated from drinking wine so I’m ‘holding on to water’. I guess I need to drink more water and less wine!

Please log in or register to post a reply.