Holiday coping strategies?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Amarela
    on

Hi, with the summer holiday season almost upon us I thought it might be useful to share some tips and advice on how to maintain this way of eating/living while away from home.

We’re heading off for 2 weeks soon and will be staying self catering for most of the time so I’ll definitely cook some of my own meals, as much as I hate coooking on holidays! But needs must. I’m planning on relaxing on the calorie counting a bit and will probably have some fruit but will continue to avoid the bread, pasta, potatoes etc and obviously sugar.

Any advice?

I realise that for others it can be completely fine to let go for holidays and just get back to this when you come home but for me, personally, and knowing my previous struggles and fails with healthy eating it’s really, really important to keep this going…
    I’m on week seven now, first round, and almost halfway to getting to my goal weight.

• posted by Verano
    on

Amarela as time goes on this WOE just becomes second nature and you really no longer want the simple carbs like bread and pasta etc. I think your idea of eating more calories is quite a good one but try and keep the carbs low. I think the important thing is to be in ‘control’ of your eating. If you decide to eat something off plan then ‘enjoy’ and move on. Never feel that you have ‘blown it’ and have an all out carb fest. Control, mindfulness, read the ‘mindful chocolate cake’ article in ‘The BSD’ above, and enjoyment are three words I always keep in mind. Enjoy your holiday!

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Amarela. Good idea for a thread! One of my strategies is going to be long light leisurely lunches, and little or no dinner. This suits my body clock, I find I am less likely to drink much wine, and the lunch menus at (eg) good French restaurants are often excellent and really good value…..or a scrummy picnic prepared in your self-catering….. Feel like packing now!

• posted by Kal
    on

I’m away on France for 10 days and do worry about ‘falling off the wagon’, so the information here is really helpful. Ive decided to watch what I eat and drink however I am on holiday ( in the Champagne region 😋🥂) so will relax a bit but right back in it when I get back.

• posted by Amarela
    on

Thanks for the replies!

I do agree that mindful eating is the key, especially since mindless eating is definitely what got me unhealthy. The good thing about having to stick to 800cals is it really makes you think about your food choices and appreciate what you do eat.

I also do well on a good lunch and light or no dinner so will stick to that on the holiday. Of course travelling with hubby or kids complicates things a bit but they can go get a pizza for dinner for all I care 😄

Any good ideas for BSD friendly snacks for days out now that sandwiches are out?

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Amarela. Luvtcook and others will have good ideas I’m sure. I suggest you take some containers with you (self catering never seems to have them!) and go with eggs, ham, dips and veg (eg smoked trout, ham rolls with cream cheese filling, tuna mayo, hummus – in moderation – , avocado, olives… with celery, carrot sticks) … Bonnes vacances

Please log in or register to post a reply.