High Cholesterol and the 8 week Blood Sugar Diet..

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Caroline2308
    on

Hi All,
    Wonder can someone please advise.. I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes last week and am now hoping to embark on 8 week BS diet having read the book, however there is no mention in it of the impact on high cholesterol levels and the medication taken to reduce it, which I happen to be on. Before I start on this diet can anyone advise re effects of diet on this? Thanks a mil ..

• posted by Clare (BSD Admin)
    on

Hi Caroline – A low carb diet is likely to improve your lipid profile. Assuming your medication is a statin you should be fine to to the diet. Good luck with it – hope you manage to improve your sugars

• posted by Zandranna
    on

I agree. I am on statins since having a heart attack 3 years ago, and I am certain there is no problem being on this Blood Sugar Diet with those.

• posted by Caroline2308
    on

That is comforting to know, thank you. If this change in lifestyle leads also to a drop in bad cholesterol readings also, I will be thrilled.

• posted by Zandranna
    on

I too am hoping to reduce my cholesterol level. Statins are the one tablet that I loath taking.

• posted by Caroline2308
    on

Ditto. My dream is to be rid of it and lower my LDL reading of 5.7,

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

My doc told me that cholesterol was associated with, you guessed it, sugar! In the past when i cut out simple carbs, my cholesterol went way down! Figure the same thing is happening now. 🙂

• posted by Zandranna
    on

That sounds promising. Thanks GoH

• posted by burgledad
    on

My LDL reading has been increasing yearly since starting tests 3 years ago and now sits at 5.9. I have been resisting starting statins while I researched them and what the LDL and other blood readings mean. Cholesterol is at 7.7.
    Mosley’s book is informative but is too light on details to properly understand things so I have been reading deeper. Headlines:

LDL is sub-classified as small and large, and the small ones are the harmful ones. You need to get this tested to find out if you have a real problem that may require medication.
    Usual blood tests only approximate total LDL anyway. There is a more direct test that can be done.
    Most GPs do not understand this topic (my wife is a biochemist with PhD research in the area of blood lipids) so it is difficult to sort with them. My GP is good
    Cholesterol readings are not much use.
    Fatty liver, pancreas etc. is thought to underly many of my symptoms. I have not had this checked directly (involves MRI scan). Instead I am just starting the 800kCal diet, which is worth a try.

The book “Wheat Belly” by Dr William Davis has more detailed explanations of LDL etc.

• posted by Nessie
    on

Hi 🙂
    I also have high cholesterol, which I only found out about recently, having always had great cholesterol (I am vegetarian, so never been something I have concerned myself with). The GP explained to me that high cholesterol can be an indication of metabolic issues (such as diabetes) and although my BSL was fine, it was a really kick in the backside and a wake up call. I am going to get my bloods done again at the end of this 8 weeks (I just started on week 4), and then again when I have lost all my weight.
    Best of luck

Please log in or register to post a reply.