Hi starting on Monday – advice needed.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by AllieBee
    on

Hi there,
    I am starting on Monday as I have just read the book and am needing to sit down and plan for the weekly shop on Sunday.
    I have a problem in that my husband is slightly underweight and our daughters are young and perfectly slim. I am wandering if any of you have advice for adaptable family friendly dinner time meals? Breakfast and lunch will be no problem but I have to ensure hubby is getting recommended calorie count.
    To my knowledge I don’t have diabetes but according to the quiz I am moderate risk. I took my measurements tonight and honestly could cry. I have 30kg to lose to get into a “healthy” BMI. Nearly fell over with shock when i measured my waist!! ๐Ÿ™ I don’t even recognise the woman I see when I look in the mirror. Looks aside my main motivation is the health benefits I have various ailments, sleep poorly, low mood, hormones seem all over the shop no energy, constantly hungry etc
    As a nurse I treat patients with complications developed as a result of diabetes and/or obesity every day so really really want to make a go of this. I don’t want to end up being treated myself and also want to be a good role model for my patients and daughters.
    Hope everybody here is managing/enjoying the plan. Would be grateful for any advice/support. Thanks. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Salky
    on

Hi AllieBee, I see where you are coming from. I scared the daylights out of myself when I got the book 6 weeks ago. My wife has been brilliant and decided to go on the diet with me, so we have been able to plan our meals together. The arrangement is, however, as she is much lighter than me, when she decides that enough is enough I have no problem at all with her going on to eat “real” meals alongside me.
    My advice to you would be, sit down and go through the book again. I did just that and the second read brought a lot of new information to me.
    I can honestly say that, at least in my case, everything I’ve read has applied 100% to me. The best bit is that after the initial screaming desires for goodies has died down, as you progress you will find yourself totally losing interest in food in general. Now, after losing 20lbs. in the last 6 weeks I feel so at peace that my other half can sit down to all sorts of scrummy dishes, and I don’t bat an eyelid.
    So, basically, do your own thing, let the others have what they want, you do your diet and you can still all sit together round the table and enjoy your meals.
    Go on, go for it!! A little discomfort followed by a wonderful feeling is so worth the effort.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

I’m going to agree completely with Salky. My partner, while fully supportive of me, doesn’t want to do the diet herself and has been really good at cooking two different dishes each mealtime.
    I’m actually quite happy to sit while she munches on what are for me, forbidden pleasures.
    The fact that I’ve never been hungry since starting the plan helps a lot of course.
    So AllieBee go for it and don’t worry

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi AllieBee
    I don’t eat any meat but my husband loves his meat so I have made two different meals for the last twenty years. It doesn’t have to cost more because you can often batch bake for yourself and refrigerate/freeze stuff, saving you time and effort next time round.

On the other hand, if you really want try to keep your meals the same, I’d suggest maybe giving the rest of family larger portions than yours and maybe including the carbs that you will be avoiding – potatoes, rice, pasta, bread etc.

• posted by AllieBee
    on

Thanks everyone for the replies. Salky what a fab result very encouraging!! Also my hubby has said he will read the book so that he has an understanding of what I am up to which is great. Bill It’s good to know you are not struggling with hunger I hope I am the same. Janet I definitely think that cooking ahead and planning the fridge freezer is the way forward. I was explaining to the girls this morning round the breakfast table that Mummy is going on a special eating plan to make her really healthy and that I will often be eating different things especially over the next 8 weeks. Think i was worrying unneccesarily I will just feed the troops their norm and continue trying to put weight on the hubby lol. Girls were very intriguing as to why I was not having my usual 2 slices of buttered toast this morning. I had natural yogurt and apple with a wee teaspoon of seeds. My verdict – seeds are lovely!!! Yum. Girls didn’t want to try it out though!! Ha ha. I will start properly on Monday. I am trying to incorporate some changes just now so it doesn’t come as too much of a shock on Monday. I have been trying to drink more water which I find hard. I drink so much tea about 6 cups a day with milk – love the stuff – but don’t want to use all of my calorie allowance on the milk.

Right away for a cuppa lol

Thanks again
    I’m looking forward to Monday.
    ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by HayClay
    on

Hi AllieBee,

I started on Monday (3lbs so far) and my husband is not ready for this diet. He prefers to go running instead! So far, he’s had exactly the same food as me in the evenings (pesto salmon with loads of green veggies, chicken curry, tuna salad and mushroom omelette) but I will put in a baked potato, or cook some rice or pasta for him to go with whatever we’re eating. To be honest, we’re probably eating better than before! And I can honestly say I haven’t really felt hungry.

There’s loads of recipes on the web (just look for low or zero carb) for inspiration and I use MyFitnessPal to portion out. I never thought ahead about meals, but do have to do some planning now.

Please drink lots of water though. Can’t emphasis that enough! I felt dreadful on Tuesday, really flu like, nauseaous and headachy, but apparently that’s normal and is your body adjusting. Keep going and you will feel much better, and today someone at work said how good my skin looked and how bright my eyes were! Going on a Hen Weekend tomorrow, so will no doubt undo some of the good work with wine etc, but that’s ok – be good with what meals I can, and then start again properly as soon as I get home.

Good Luck!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

AllieBee,
    I wasn’t drinking much before I started either but when liquid is the ONLY thing you can put in your tummy, you soon find you drink a lot more! I still drink tea, just decaf with just a tiny splash of milk. Again, you soon get used to it! I also have fruit tea bags and sometimes just hot water.

Please log in or register to post a reply.