Hi, newbie here!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JCH187
    on

Hi

I’m Julia, I’m just waiting for my book to arrive and then I am starting the process of getting myself more healthy. My dad is Type 2, my aunt has also recently been diagnosed and I want to act before it gets even more out of hand. I’m an emotional comfort eater, the last year has been horrendous and the pounds have piled on, I have a lot to lose but trying not to let that phase me. I’m iron deficient (in the process of trying to get this sorted) and my constant tiredness leaves me craving carbs for the quick energy fix but then the evitable crash comes, I’ve got to break that cycle and get my eating habits back in check (I’m a grazer, which worries me on how I’m going to plan my 800 calories!). I’m not very imaginative in the kitchen so have been scouring the website for recipes that aren’t too complicated!

I’m sure I’ll be back with questions and looking for reassurance. Many of your stories have inspired me and hopefully in time I will be able to inspire others.

Julia

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Julia and welcome to the forums.

Read the book all of the way through so that you really understand the 3 principles of the BSD, then launch into it.

When you follow the BSD you’ll find that your grazing behavior will go away because you’ll not be hungry between meals. N.B. this doesn’t happen immediately but if you can persevere through the first week you’ll feel so empowered. It really is a great feeling not being hungry all of the time.

Look at the BSD as a time to get ‘kitchen savvy’ – there are BSDers around the globe with helpful words of wisdom. Just reach out, there’s always someone reading the forums.

Enjoy your BSD journey Julia.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Lack of iron does make you very tired. I have to take supplements as I just don’t absorb enough from food alone. It does take a while before you notice an improvement, but they really help. Once your body is getting the nutrients it needs, you might find your cravings reduce and you’re not constantly feeling in need of an energy top up.

If you’re not ready to start properly yet, I suggest cutting out carbs as much as possible – especially sugar, cereals and bread now, so you adjust more quickly.

Good luck.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi JCH
    good luck with getting your anaemia sorted – I had it a few years ago & it took a while to find a supplement that I could tolerate, and then I think it was about three or four months for my iron levels to get back to normal.
    Thankfully due to a gynae problem that’s now resolved rather than not absorbing the iron well, so I didn’t have to stay on supplements for ever.

• posted by JCH187
    on

Thank you for your replies and words of encouragement. Something has clicked and I’m totally ready to start, despite feeling like I need “to do something” I’ve not been in the right frame of mind until this week and now it’s time. My book was delivered today so I’ll be reading it cover to cover. I’m food shopping in the morning and will be cooking up batches of meals so I am prepared and always have something in the freezer. I’ve been winding down my carb stocks and just have some cereal left (I need something for when OH is over!!).

I’m not anaemic, just deficient but like you I can’t tolerate the tablets despite trying different strengths, liquids etc. My immunologist is concerned at the reasons why I can’t absorb iron and is referring me for gastro investigations. Nothing I can do about it at the moment I just have to wait and see.

• posted by JCH187
    on

And I’m off!! weight and waist recorded, plain yogurt and a pear for breakfast! I’m writing my food plan for the week and then I’m off food shopping. I’ve almost finished reading the book and feel even more motivated now! My water infuser bottle has some frozen berries in and is in the fridge ready and waiting.

I can do this!

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi JCH187
    Yes, you can do it😀
    There are thousands of posts on this forum from members that proved it can be done.
    Don’t worry if you get some headaches or achey joints in the first week, they will pass. It’s just carb/sugar withdrawal.
    Remember to drink 2-3 litres of non calorie water per day and don’t be afraid of full fat products, in fact steer clear of all the low fat/skim products! They’re nasty.
    Also important is to keep a track of your carbs, particularly if you love fruit as they are quite high. Most of us try and limit ourselves to a max of 50g a day and a pear contains about 16g! There are apps that you can download for free that calculate everything.
    Call on any of us for help if you feel the need for any reason, there’s always someone, somewhere in the world willing to offer advice.
    Best of luck.
    Linda

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hello Julia
    Believe it or not there gave been many BSD’ers who started out just like you, not quite believing the hype but willing to try anything that will help.
    I know, I was one of them!
    If you follow this plan, within weeks 1 to 2, you wlll suddenly notice that you aren’t feeling hungry between meals and the hunger you experience just before a meal is a different feeling to what you are used to.
    Thats because what you have thought was hunger all these years was actually carb cravings and once you start burning fat, your body doesn’t need carbs, we have stored fat aplenty.
    Don’t worry, most of us were like you at first, now we are all happy dancing, best of luck for the next 8 weeks and remember, you’re not doing this alone, hundreds, if not thousands of people around the world are doing it with you and we’re all here to offer all the help and support you need.

• posted by Dolly
    on

Hi almost finished reading the book and starting day one tomorrow – all your comments really helpful, will certainly make sure I count my carbs 🙂

• posted by JCH187
    on

Day 2 under my belt now and it was easier than yesterday, hopeful that tomorrow will be easier again. Hardly any headache today and not felt as hungry, all heading in the right direction. I’m keeping around the 50g carbs a day as suggested and have increased my protein and fat from what I’d normally eat. I have felt very tired today but haven’t had the usual sugar crashes from trying to correct it!

Please log in or register to post a reply.