Hi new here. Type 1 diabetic

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Catsbd
    on

Hi, I’m 53, been type 1 disbetic 43 years on insulin, pumping since Sept 2015 which I love. I am wanting to lose about 50lbs to get and feel healthier. I realise eating refined carbs despite the pimp, plays havoc with my blood sugars. My blood sugars definately improve on reduced carbs. So this is my week 1 and I am following the BSD 5-2 regime.
    Here’s to losing weight, better blood sugars and feeling better.
    I go swimming when I can. I work fulltime, married, 2 kids. Phew!!

• posted by Indy
    on

Hello Catsbd!

Good luck and great decision!

I’ve just finished my first 8 weeks on the fast 800 and have lost about 33 lbs (have more to lose so sticking with it), but started the diet with my husband who is a Type 1 (20ish years) and on the pump (probably about 11 years).

Despite the fact the book discourages Type 1s from the fast 800, he did it and had great weight loss results right away but had some very low blood sugar readings and his endocrinologist was not happy with him for trying it.

He has modified the fast 800 and still lost but we’re looking at the 5:2 for the longer term so I’ll be interested to see how you find it! My husband’s basal rate is much lower now and he uses far less insulin, so the whole Mediterranean plan seems to be a great fit for him!

Good luck!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Catsbd – good luck with your BSD regime. Am type 1 also and have found this way of eating almost effortless. Have found I need to do quite a lot of blood sugar testing though as I am now much more sensitive to insulin.

Please log in or register to post a reply.