Here goes nothing

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jadawin
    on

Hello all, Like a lot of people on here, I have hit that point where having tried a few other mainstream diets, I came across this and thought “Yes, finally”.
    I was diagnosed with T2 a little over 6 years ago and was put on statins and metformin. At that point, I weighed in at 224lbs and stood at 6ft. Today at 57 I recently weighed in at 266lbs and have had “Glic” added to my diet along the way (I’m still 6ft tall btw). If it’s ok with you I would like to pick your brains and share my journey.
    Cheers
    J

• posted by freester
    on

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
    Have a read of the books and the online info.
    Lots of people with success stories here (I am one of them). Success as in maintained weight loss not temporary or yo yo weight fluctuations.
    Good luck and ask away.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Jadawin, welcome! This is certainly the place to be, as the forum offers a lot of information and support. I

I’d encourage you to join the “Let’s do this in 2021 One Week at a Time 5th Jan” thread. This is populated by old hands and newcomers and is a great source of experience based knowledge. It’s a very friendly group, offering advice and support and helping to celebrate wins, both on and off the scales.

Whatever approach you take, hope you will soon be seeing positive results.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Jadawin, you’re doing the right thing!

I started three years ago after a lifetime of being overweight. I got into the healthy weight range by Easter 2018 and have stayed there ever since.

My tips – don’t let a setback make you quit. Just start again. Drink plenty of water. Get some exercise, outside if you can. Walking is great. Consider ‘fasting’ by having a longer than usual gap between your last food of the day and first meal the next morning. (I don’t eat before midday. Took a little getting used to, but it’s not hard once you’re in the habit and makes it harder to overeat.)

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Jadawin, pick as much as you like although I dont know how much brain I have. Glad you havent shrunk. Please take this diet seriously as the next step from glic is insulin and you really dont want to go there. I have been here since June 2016, started with morning test at 190 to 200 and taking Solarstar insulin 40 units daily, Diamicron (Glic)90mg, Moduretic for fluid retention, Simvastatine, Zestril, Kardegic and Atenalol. Phew, I must rattle. Nearly 5 years later I am still on insulin (it is inevitable) but at 26 units, Diamicron 30 mg, and my morning BG are around 80 to 100. Besides those reductions I have also almost stopped taking the statin for cholesterol as I have gone from 7.2 to 3.7 and that is after stopping the tablets about 3 years ago. I have been T2 for 16 years and only took insulin because I couldnt tolerate any of the oral meds but it is something I deeply regret as it is almost impossible to get off. Anyway my view is that without this diet I would be on more and more insulin and more and more meds and maybe even been hit with other complications. Not trying to shock you but just making a big point that this diet will help you with your T2 as well as your weight. Join in and ask away. Good luck.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Should have been clear, when you say Glic do you mean Glycides i.e. the meds. 2 points to be aware of. If you do this diet strictly you will find your BG drops very quickly i.e. in days rather than weeks. Mine went from the 190 / 200 to 135 in 3 days and then even lower over the next couple of weeks. I had a couple of very scarey hypos and had to adjust my meds so I cut the Glycide from 90mg to 60mg as my research told me these can the drugs that cause quite low BG – the Metformin has little impact on BG. I can also reduce my insulin for when my BGs get too low. For this reason and the fact you are T2 I would seriously avoid any form of fasting or TRE (time restricted eating) until your body gets used to the very low calories.

• posted by Jadawin
    on

Hi,
    Thanks for all of the advice, it is really useful. I have finished reading the book so am preparing to get started. Talked it through with my GP yesterday who is quite keen to see my success. I had a full blood spectrum test this morning and am meeting with my GP next Wed to discuss the results and my medication before I start. She has asked me to keep a blood pressure and glucose meter reading chart which I can email to her weekly. That way she can advise on any medication changes. To be honest I was a bit blown away, as I thought she would be somewhat cynical. Really good diabetes info from you sunshine-girl, I will be careful with my Gliclazide intake. If it makes you feel any better I currently take: Glic, Metformin, Ramapril, Folpic, Bendroflumathiazide, Simvastatin and Citalopram for good measure. My aim for all of this is to lose weight and reduce my medication intake, oh and live a bit longer I guess. Thanks once again for all of the helpful info. Much appreciated.

Please log in or register to post a reply.