Help ! Worried about getting my daily protein !

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by bal17
    on

On day 4:of bsd 800 fast and glad to say it has been fine – but I know it’s early days !
    My only concern is getting in my daily recommended protein ( I am a vegetarian ).
    For example on one day I managed to get 50% and another day 75% of my protein target ( 46g). This is from egg, tofu, cottage cheese and fetta and counting all the protein in small amounts in food e.g .36g in a peach (!).
    How are other people coping with the protein angle ? Using protein powders ?

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

You haven’t mentioned nuts and seeds, I am not vegetarian but I have seen these mentioned as sources of protein, also some pulses. Hopefully some of our vegetarian contributors can help with specific recommendations.

• posted by Way of life
    on

Hi
    Try nuts and seeds as mix n match suggests.

I’m vegan and have a variety of seeds with my almond yogurt in the morning

I include whole nuts and almond butter at lunch then tofu/and or pulses in the eve.

• posted by Jande9
    on

You could try Greek yogurt or Skyr. They have a lot of protein, much more than plain yogurt.
    2 eggs for breakfast and 175 grams of Greek yogurt for lunch and you have taken in 24 grams of protein. Skyr will give you even more.
    Beans and lentils are good but they do have a lot of carbs. However, much of that is in the form of fibre so it isn’t as bad as it looks at first.

• posted by bal17
    on

Thanks so much – Way of Life, Mixnmatch, Jande9 – for your suggestions ! Will definitely look into seeds/nuts/pulses/beans and Skyr…
    My week is up tomorrow and it is my first weighing ! I can honestly say that week 1 has been fine. I just find all the calculating for food portions etc irksome. But have just installed FatSecret and it looks promising. ..hope all of bsd followers are doing well… keep up the efforts !

• posted by Jande9
    on

Since most veggies are very low calories I have just been estimating them. I only weigh the proteins. I am steadily losing weight so that seems sufficient. I have pointed myfitnesspal at the on line recipes to estimate their calorie content but I don’t cook too many complicated things.

Jan

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Veggies can be surprisingly high in carbs. If you’re anything like I was when I started the BSD, your estimates are likely to be way off. You might consider weighing and measuring at least once so you have the facts at your command.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Jande9,
    As Esnecca says, some veg is very high carb. If you are currently losing and comfortable with your progress then carry on, but if you find progress slowing or stopping, then definitely weigh everything for a few days and count the carbs – they are more important than the calories. The veg to watch out for are the root veg (unfortunately for the winter soups 🙁 ), but salads, green leafy veg etc are fine to just eat – watch out for tomatoes, they are higher than you think.

• posted by Jande9
    on

I am careful with the root veggies but carrots and beets in moderation seem OK. I avoid turnip and parsnips as my wife doesn’t like them.

Today for supper I had peas, kale, sauted cabbage, sauted carrots, leeks and celery, spiralized zucchini plus a protein. About 200 calories and 25 grams of carb before the protein. The carrots were 16 calories and 4 grams of carbs, supposedly, but was probably somewhat more, but still not too bad.

Myfitnesspal lists a large tomato as 34 calories. Not much at all.

Jan

Please log in or register to post a reply.