Help please!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Grandma48
    on

I bought the BSD book on my Kindle and it makes it very difficult to flick through to find something specific. I’ve been measuring my calories and carbs on Fitness Pal and although I can keep the carbs low with fish, cream, butter etc, the minute I start adding the vegetables – particularly pulses – the carbs shoot up. I’m just starting my third week and although I had a creditable 4lbs loss in week 1 (just stopped smoking as well, so guess my body is fighting itself), only managed 1/2lb last week. I’m not unhappy with the weight loss cos I can see the inches coming off. I have been following the forum since I started, did my first post yesterday, and I seem to recall reading that Michael Mosley said not to count the vegetables! Is that right? I am measuring and counting olive oil, butter – basically everything – and although I can keep within the 800 calories no problem, I’m finding it hard to keep below the 50g carbs. Also I am not eating anything like the amount of veggies I did before I started this plan. Can someone please advise? Thank you all so much – your positive attitudes and advice is priceless.
    Jan

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Grandma48/Jan

Sounds like you have made a good start. Using Kindle, you can mark passages in the book, so that it is possible to find them easily again. Anyway, like you I have been struggling with balancing the fat/carb/protein mix to achieve the 800cals and weight loss. Had a good first week, but the last two have been a bit iffy.

I can’t honestly remember the book saying not to count cals in veg, but I would be surprised if this were the case on such a controlled diet. I have been counting the cals in everything consumed, not that it has stopped me plateauing and struggling to get things moving again. I’m into week four now and hoping this week the scales will be kinder, but I’m keeping a very close watch on the carbs this week.

Think if you are struggling to keep the carbs low, it’s probably best not to eat too much in the way of pulses and legume, as these do have higher carb values. Similarly root veg also show quite high on carb, so best to use veggies that grow above ground, as they have much lower and in some instances almost non-existent carb values. Go for cabbages, sprouts, spinach, salad stuff, broccoli, cauli, aubergine, courgette, etc.

Good luck and let us know how you get on with adjusting your diet and if it helps you achieve better weight loss.

• posted by Grandma48
    on

Hi SunnyB

That’s really helpful advice. I obviously need to check out the Kindle properly. I much prefer a book but, being impatient, I couldn’t wait to read what Michael Mosley had to say – I admire him so much, and of course the Kindle delivery is instant!!

I am definitely addicted to the scales and always expect that they will have dropped dramatically, but I understand we both might have to wait for the “whoosh” when we magically drop four or five pounds in one go! Meanwhile I have increased my fat today in the form of goats cheese, and butter on my veg, kept my carbs low and will now follow your advice and stick to the green stuff from above ground. It’s my favourite anyway and having treated myself to a spiraliser I am enjoying courgette spaghetti, and looking to play with some beetroot, although from what you say, maybe beetroot is not such a good option! I felt quite decadent putting butter on the veg but it was quite yummy.

It’s not that the diet is hard to follow. I am certainly eating less and I am not suffering undue hunger pangs. It’s just a bit frustrating……

I will certainly keep you posted on my progress and look forward to reading that you are progressing well. Good luck with week four.

Jan

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Jan

I’m sure increasing the fat and lowering the carbs will help. A portion of beetroot occasionally hopefully shouldn’t be an issue, as long as you are eating plenty of the green stuff for the majority of the time. Like you, I have found the plateauing frustrating, but stick with it and the weight will start to fall again. Lots of people have the same issue around weeks 3 & 4 it seems, so you are not the only one struggling to get things moving again – small comfort I know, but it does give a light at the end of the tunnel. I’m sure the tweaks will help to get things moving again and you will soon be telling us all of your success.

Scales read 2lb down when I weighed myself this morning, but I’m not celebrating yet – let’s see if the reading is still in the minus zone when I get to the end of the week. Don’t want to count my chickens and be disappointed when it comes to the weigh-in at he beginning of week 5.

I need to make the next couple of weeks count, as we have a road trip across Europe to Turkey planned, leaving here on 8th April and it’s not going to be too easy sticking to the plan en-route – 5 days to get out there. Am definitely planning to do the Med Diet while we are in Turkey though, as the fresh food is so plentiful at the markets it will be easy. Just hope I don’t blow things on the trip out there.

Bez

Please log in or register to post a reply.