Help – lost weight but fasting blood sugar up

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by KJ77
    on

Hi all I have just finished my first 8 weeks on fast 800 and moving into 9th week. I started it as I had blood tests done and fasting blood sugar was 7-1 which gave me a shock. My doctor asked me to rest in 4 weeks time which I did having started BSD a week after test results and I got a reading of 6.4 and HBA1C 56. I told her about BSD and she was happy for me to continue and see what the result at end of 8 weeks was – I have lost an amazing 32 lbs – however got my fasting bloods retested and just got the result back of 8!! I was convinced they would be down to normal and I feel devastated. Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice would be welcome.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

KJ77 – congratulations on your fantastic weight loss, you must feel much better.

Re the fasting blood sugars, I’m not an expert, but type FASTING BLOOD SUGAR in the search box at the top to find some useful threads about this. I understand that this particular test can be very very variable. Bill54 particularly found this frustrating to start, and if you look at his profile and threads you will find more about it.

Don’t be discouraged – this doesn’t mean that your BS levels overall are going up. It’s all about averages, and also your body’s response to blood sugar, which the BSD trains you in.

Good luck!

• posted by KJ77
    on

Thank you Igorausual I will look at the threads you suggest and try and keep focussed. I am seeing my GP next week so will see what she says.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi KJ77
    don’t worry too much about your fasting levels as everyone is affected by the dawn effect which is caused by your liver releasing stored sugar while you are asleep to give you that get up and go that you need when you wake.
    My advice would be to concentrate on the readings just before and 2 hours after a meal to give a more dependable result.
    Best of luck 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.