Help I work Night Shifts!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Hulagirl
    on

Hello to anybody reading this! I have just started week 2 of the diet (having been suggested it my by doctor) Ive lost 8lbs so far so really pleased but I work shifts and tonight will be my first of two 8 hr night shifts. Before I would of been hammering the chocolate and biscuits to just stay awake but can anyone give me suggestions on what to eat which won’t bloat me out but will keep me going? I was thinking porridge but not sure? Any ideas gratefully received! 😊

• posted by SunnyB
    on

This isn’t an easy one and I can understand why you are in a quandary. I would say be cautious with the porridge, as this is high carb. Some people use porridge though, just keep the portion small. I would suggest trying something that includes some olive oil or nuts – something with a good fat content, as this will help you feel full for longer. Are you able to take a salad with you and some French dressing perhaps?

Hopefully someone who has experience of running the BSD with nightshifts, will be able to give you a better response. Good luck.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Not for a night shift but I used to keep a mixture of nuts, seeds, cocoa nibs and pine nuts on my desk during long days with no time for lunch on a previous diet, maybe a few dried fruits as well, but be cautious with those as they are high carb. It was just nice to have something there that I could dip into and eat whenever I wanted.

• posted by Hulagirl
    on

Thank you both 🙂 I’m been and got some nuts, big bottle of water and some herbal teas. Will see how I go!

• posted by Fairyface
    on

I used to work nights years and years ago.
    When I got up after a DAYS sleep I would have my breakfast.(Family had a cooked main meal for evening meal) During the night at work I would have my main meal in the canteen or take a salad with me. When I arrived home next morning I would perhaps have breakfast again. So I would have two breakfasts and one main meal in the 24 hours.
    During the night I would drink plenty and possibly have a fruit snack/biscuits. I realise this is not BSD friendly to have fruit and snacks so perhaps now I would take a measured amount of nuts and a small chunk of cheese to nibble on.

• posted by cmawp
    on

Hi Hulagirl, I work nightshifts 1 week in 3. My tactic is to eat a 150-200 cal breakfast between 3-4pm, if I get up earlier, I wait until this time. I eat a full 500 cal BSD friendly evening meal around 7:30/8:00pm.

Around 2am I will have a 200-250 cal lunch pre-prepared.

I take a portion of nuts to eat on a separate break and drink black coffee, hot water or fizzy water. If I took more than this I’d eat it all, so 15-20 almonds is enough.

When I’m doing my first night, I usually add an extra lunch 200-250 cals between breakfast and dinner so I eat 4 meals but I figure that’s ok when you’re awake for 26 hours!

Seems to have worked so far as I’ve lost 64lb. I mainly use recipes from the BSD book and pick whatever I fancy.

Please log in or register to post a reply.