Help for 2 nd timer

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MrsA
    on

Followed this amazing online program to the letter early last year. In 3 months I had dropped 14kg my gut was ‘normal ‘ for first time in I don’t know how long and my migraines dropped. Also my BSL normal and cholesterol etc way down. Thrilled. Felt terrific. Hard yes but totally worth it. Managed to maintain the WOE for most of this year but lately wandering off the plan and know I have put weight on etc. need to start again but finding it hard to get my mojo back on board. Don’t know why. Going to have blood tests tomorrow and determined to find my way back. But would love some help or advice or anything that will help me find my determination again. Thanks

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi MrsA,
    What has helped me carry through is having a WHY which is important to me, finding something that means more to you than figures on the scale. A reading on the scale is just something you see in the bathroom when you are on your own. – Your WHY could be a sport or activity you love but struggle with if overweight, or wanting to avoid the consequences of ill health, or being around to see grandchildren grow up, or a special event you want to look good for. – Your WHY will be individual to you but it has to be something you desire more than giving in when someone waves chocolate or biscuits under your nose and says go on, just have one.

Find your WHY and you will find your Mojo, but Mojos can be shy creatures, and may be easier to tempt back by setting smaller goals along the way rather than focusing on re-discarding the whole 14kg in one go 🙂

• posted by Violinist
    on

Jgwen, I love that post! How creative

• posted by sheilaslims
    on

It must be hard for you to have had such great success and now face having to repeat it all again but it can be done. I don’t know if this will help you but here goes. When I was 42 I decided to give up smoking because it is so bad for you and I was worried about getting lines due to smoking (I never said I wasn’t a shallow person). IN those days there was no help and I am short on will power. I set a day to stop and devised a strategy. I started a new job the same day and this was when you could smoke in the office so when I started my new job I said I was a non smoker (not really a lie as I had been since I got up earlier that morning…). That put paid to me being able to light up during the day. When I got home I made a new rule – NO SMOKING IN THE HOUSE – and although my husband moaned I pointed out that the furniture and curtains smelled of cigarette smoke and it wasn’t very nice. I said I wasn’t going to smoke that evening. This strategy worked for me and I never smoked again. Easy? Not really but every day without smoking took me nearer to knowing I would be able to classify myself as a real non smoker.
    So you could try, as I am doing now, saying you don’t eat chocolate, cakes etc and just not have it but turn immediately to something you can have while they enjoy their cakes such as a few nuts (I find almonds sweetest) and I pay myself £1 for every meal I eat from the Fast 800. This is to pay for a new wardrobe when I have lost the weight. Little tricks to help you on your way, like walking for 2 15 minute walks over the course of the day. You’ll do this, you have too much to lose if you don’t and you have already done it once. Good luck, Sheila x

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sheila – love your idea of paying yourself for eating BSD friendly meals and it reminds me of the mini-goals thread we used to have running, where people would post both scale and non-scales related mini-goals with what little reward we’d give ourselves for these small achievements and we’d celebrate the successes, before planning our next mini-goal.

MrsA – try breaking the task into chunks, so instead of thinking of it as say 14kg you need to shift, aim initially for say 3kg or 4kg and plan a reward for yourself when you get there. You could even run this and Sheila’s payment system hand in hand – the one paying for the other.

Mindset is key of course and JGwen has a very good point, in that finding a WHY is important, especially with initial motivation. Maybe the blood test results will give you some of the missing motivation, but it is worth finding something else too, to help you stay focused. Most importantly though, you KNOW you CAN do this …. you did it before and you CAN do it again. You have the tools to succeed, they just need dusting off and putting to use again. So, make a start, take it a meal at a time and soon it will start to fall into place just like it did before.

Best wishes to you for achieving you goals again.

Please log in or register to post a reply.