Help!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Caroline63
    on

I started the diet on Friday 23rd April. After 5 days sticking to the diet I haven’t lost any weight at all! I can’t understand it. I was overeating ( lots of carbs) and drinking alcohol before so this is a massive cut back for me . I’ve weighed and logged everything on MFP. No alcohol and have stuck to 800 a day with low carbs. And my clothes feel tighter!! I’m feeling despondent. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

• posted by Britta
    on

Hi Caroline
    I can see that would feel a bit disheartening. It’s not entirely unusual, I’ve read quite a few posts similar to this and and of course we all experience that weight loss stalls at different stages in diets anyway. If it happens at the beginning where you’d normally lose a lot of water, and it sounds like you might be retaining some water if your clothes feel tighter, could this have anything to do with your monthly cycle? Any other reasons why you would retain water? Is it water or bloatedness? What’s for sure is that if you are on 800 calories a day you are not gaining weight.
    I’d carry on for a bit doing what you’re doing, give it a few weeks. If you’re still not losing any weight then maybe a medical checkup?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Caroline, sorry you are having a struggle with this. It would be most unusual not to lose any weight on this diet but there will be reasons. As Britta says, is it time of the month is just one. When you say you are eating low carb some people think of the obvious carbs like cakes and biscuits and sugary things. Have you eliminated all the white starchy stuff like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, breakfast cereal and cereals which includes those things people substitute like bulgar wheat, polenta, quinoa, lentils, baked beans etc. It can be hard not to make mistakes in the first few weeks and even when you think you have it sussed things can crop up. If you feel you cant eliminate all white carbs then do it slowly – but you are really wanting results right now so try as hard as you can. There is an excellent illustration of good carbs vs bad carbs on http://www.dietdoctor.com where you can see we should eat above ground veggies not below ground. If you want to substitute carbs try using vegetable like cauliflower rice, courgette spaghetti, aubergine or courgette lasagne sheets. Other mistakes are having oats too often and usually too much – especially if you look at some of the recipes in the Fast 800 where they allow 40g of oats. I didnt even have that much in a portion when I wasnt on a diet – around 25g to 30g is ideal but not too often.

Talking about holding fluid, the carbs mentioned above are responsible for fluid retention but so is not drinking enough water. Water flushes out the system and helps with weight loss.

There are so many things to know but lets at least get you started on the right track. Let us know how you get on. You might already have had a loss since posting. Keep going.

• posted by Caroline63
    on

Thanks for your replies. I’ve stuck to the recipes in the blood sugar diet book. So no rice bread sugar alcohol cereal etc . It’s perplexing. I’m carrying on as I know that all the macros are right . Will seek medical advice I think if I don’t lose any more weight in the next week xxx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Caroline,,
    you mentioned that you have been logging everything, what are the figures for carbs?

Its only been a few days, are you eating more high fibre / bulky foods than you used to eat so your digestive system is fuller even though the calories levels are much lower?

Please log in or register to post a reply.