Hello, I have survived my first day but know it's going to be tough!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Zobo74
    on

Hi everyone, this is my second attempt at the BSD, I did fairly well for over a week last year and lost 8lbs in 10 days but then had a nasty hypo at 3mmols and it frightened me so I stopped (was a few minutes from home, driving and felt very odd). I had not eaten for over 14 hours and had skipped breakfast so I will be avoiding doing that this time around. Today I ate a pear for breakfast, a medi style platter for lunch and portobello mushrooms with beans and mozzarella for my tea. I am hoping following this plan will break my secret binging and finally free me from yo yo dieting that makes me so miserable. I have two and a half stone to lose, it’s not just the weight though, I am so tired and bloated so I know things have got to change. I hope I will be able to stick to the recipes in the book mostly but working full time and juggling eating around my husband and boys will be difficult, so any tasty ready prepared meal ideas I could turn to, especially for lunch to take to work would be much appreciated. Good luck to any other new starters.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Zobo74 – sorry to hear about your aborted start last year, sounds like a scary event, but well done on giving it another try. It sounds like you have made a decision about how to avoid a similar incident, by not allowing too many hours between meals.

My advise would be to keep things simple when feeding the family as well, so do something that you can just leave the carb element off your plate and have extra veggies or salad. And remember, they can eat the food you are eating, with a carb element added, so either way, there is no reason to be cooking a number of different meals for everyone.

Lunchtime ideas, well you could pack things like the medi platter you had today, salads, hard boiled eggs, make some guacamole or humus and take some cruditee to dip, yogurt with various toppings – berries, nuts, seeds. If you have the facility to warm it you could take soup – or take a flask of soup maybe.

Once you get into this way of eating, you should find that the siren call of carby foods lessens and you find it easier to control what you are consuming.

Make good use of the forum for advise, support and encouragement – lots of folks on here are willing to respond and offer support. So shout if you are struggling and do keep us posted on your progress.

• posted by Vera
    on

Hi!
    It’s my first day too. Monday is good day to start ๐Ÿ˜€ . Just finished the book and am super excited. Can’t wait to see the results! I’ve never tried this before. I am also tired of yo yo dieting. My mother had type 2 diabetes and probably I’ll have it too later, if I don’t do something about it.
    I find it challenging do all the recipes from the book during my work week. Probably going to stick to easy ones for now and going to make same food few days in row (becomes cheaper too).I am actually starting with shakes, and after 2-3 weeks I’ll start eating real food. I have a kid too, so it is going to be challenging. Got to lose about 4 stones. Hopefully can lose 2 stones in 8 weeks and then continue losing the rest…with 5:2 diet I suppose.
    Good luck!

• posted by Zobo74
    on

Thanks for your suggestions and encouragement SunnyB, I really hope to succeed this time. Hi to you too Vera, I used shakes previously and they were a good stop gap but I am such a food addict I imagine I wouldn’t last long if I tried mostly shakes. Let me know how you’re getting on and good luck! ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hello….I began (again) yesterday. I managed 6 weeks last year and lost 10 pounds….all over Christmas and my 60 birthday celebrations I have not regained any weight. I have finally got my Mojo back and have planned my meals for the week. I go on holiday in 10 weeks time so would like to lose around 14 pounds before then. My problems are….I have an under active thyroid, and Psoriatic arthritis, IBS, plus psoriasis. However, I am cheered by the number of posts that are positive. Well done everyone for being so supportive and giving tips. My tip is to keep a diary and don’t eat anything you don’t like because you think you should. I notice a lot of the recipes call for spinach, which does not agree with me. So I always leave it out. I have also started drinking Kefir as this is supposed to help with digestive problems. So far I am pleased with the result. Lets all remember we are great people and at the moment there is more to love. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Lio
    on

Hi Zobo and others, I’m starting tomorrow (01 March) and would like to use this as a source of companionship and support. I am not prediabetic, but I am also not healthy and I have chosen this diet because I think I will respond well to some fast success, and because I am persuaded by the science that this is a good way to improve my health.

• posted by Zobo74
    on

Hi Lio, good luck tomorrow, I think getting prepared helps so make sure you’ve got enough in for the rest of the week. I am going shopping shortly so have lots of nice things to look forward to and have this weeks meals planned. I haven’t eaten yet and feel ok, I am on my third pint of water and I’ve had a black decaff coffee, I have hoovered the whole house and tidied up as we’re selling our house and have a viewing later. Once I have showered I am going to have some scrambled eggs for brunch then do my shopping. Another wonderful positive after my first day was being 2lbs lighter this morning! Lots of luck to us all – we can do this! ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Zobo74
    on

Hi Joes Nonna, welcome back to the plan, sounds like doing it the first time certainly helped your body if you haven’t regained the weight so you should easily get to your target for your holiday. Good luck ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Thank you Zobo74…this is the first diet I have really believed in. I am 18 stone so I know its a long haul thing. But it changed my way of eating so quickly. I used to love Spaghetti Bolognese, but I love the recipes on this site and in the book. We can do it together!

• posted by Lio
    on

Sounds like a brilliantly productive day, Zobo! My first hurdle is that I need to go shopping tomorrow, so I must STICK TO MY LIST! Also I am going to put all biscuits etc into the shed so that my children can have something if they really want, but I hope I will not be desperate enough to want to go to the shed to get a snack.

• posted by Flygirlanne
    on

Hi all, I’m on day 2 and feeling determined. Although I’m struggling with a headache and time to prepare all the alternatives that are necessary.
    I got my Type 2 diagnosis last week and it was such a shock as I am not particularly big or hav a horrendous diet but you can’t fight family genetics it would appear! I also had Gestational Diabetes through both my pregnancies so I’ve always known that I was at a higher risk but the reality was daunting! I do like my pasta and potatoes though and a bit of chocolate every now and then.
    I was showing no symptoms at all, it was only caught as we have struggled trying to conceive for 12 months for baby number 3 and simply had a load of bloods taken, my sugars were high and had a GTT test last week.
    Good luck to everybody and hopefully we can all control our bloods better (and lose a bit of weight!)

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hi Flygirlanne, we are all in the same boat. You will soon get used to less calories and fewer carbs….some people do get headaches etc ….it will pass. Lots of water seems to be the go to advice. Good luck. Lets all stay in touch and give each other support. To begin with I had a mad weekend preparing meals to freeze. Then eased into cooking fresh. Hope it works out for you. xx

• posted by Zobo74
    on

Hi Flygirlanne, well done for getting on board so quickly after diagnosis, hopefully it won’t be long before you get your sugars into normal ranges. I am fighting the genes too, my Mum is a diabetic on insulin and my grandma had it too, my figures are pre diabetic and that was a wake up call to sort myself out after years of yo yo dieting and secret binging so I am hoping having a plan to stick to will finally break the cycle.
    I had my scrambled eggs and a little grated cheese for brunch and nibbled a few nuts before shopping to make sure I didn’t go hypo and I am feeling okay now, not really hungry but dreading tea time as my husband and boys want pancakes! I do have some nice lamb though so hopefully that will ease the pain of missing out on the sweet pancakes ๐Ÿ˜‚
    Good luck everyone xx

• posted by Zobo74
    on

Day 3 done, I’m now lying in bed as it’s been a tough, busy day at work. It was a colleague’s birthday today and she bought in loads of scrumptious looking cupcakes and they seemed to be everywhere you looked! I resisted though and when I came home faced a tougher challenge, my boys had been to their nans for tea and she sent them with leftover homemade lasagne! Again I resisted but it was so hard! My salmon and green veg for tea was nice but I love any kind of pasta so it nearly broke my resolve! The day wasn’t all bad though, I had forgotten how much I loved no carb bircher though and had that for my breakfast and it was gorgeous. Medi platter again for lunch, I don’t want to get into a rut with the same meals but it is easy for work. Plus managed plenty of water and herbal teas. How are you all getting on? My scales are showing 5lbs lighter too so that’s more motivation! I know this will slow down but it’s nice to see resisting temptation can be worth it. Hope everyone is okay ๐Ÿ˜Œ

• posted by Lio
    on

Hi, was just logging on to say that this was Day One for me and it has been fine. I had to have a change of dinner because I realised the one I had planned (the mackerel and orange/chicory salad) would have taken me 150 cal over the 800, but it all worked out fine in the end. I made a really nice drink from the book: spinach, raspberries, coconut water and lime. The plan was to put it in the fridge ready for tomorrow, but on re-reading the book i wasn’t sure if this one was suitable for keeping overnight, or if that just referred to the other drinks on that page. I thought maybe the lime would sour it overnight? Anyway, I really enjoyed it.

Zobo, I don’t work on Weds and Thurs and I think it’s much easier to diet when I’m not at work: I do sympathise with the cake thing, there are often goodies at my office, when people have a birthday or when they come back from a holiday and bring food with them. Also I feel your pain at having to pass up the chance of a lasagne, so very well done for keeping determined. In my experience, I do well on diets for four days, then I stop remembering why I’m doing it. So the weekend and the first two days of next week (I’ll be at work Mon/Tue) will be a test for me.

I have lots of good food in the house now for making tasty, calorie-counted meals, and am feeling confident that tomorrow will be manageable. I went to yoga today and have pilates tomorrow. Keeping busy helps, and I had a really full, good day today. Sorry to ramble, it’s nice to have people to ‘talk’ to though.

• posted by Zobo74
    on

Hi Lio, sounds like you have had a good, productive first day, the weekend will probably be the biggest test for me too so trying to stay focused. The shopping I did yesterday means there is plenty of good food to choose from and I have prepared my raisins ready for my bircher and done my lunch ready so just need to get through another day, hopefully the cakes will be diminishing soon! Let’s keep going, I am hoping to use this as a blog as such so it will be good to talk through it and rambling is allowed ๐Ÿ˜‰ Take care x

• posted by Vera
    on

Hi all!
    Been reading your posts and it’s nice to know how you all are doing. I share very similar thoughts. I also started this diet ’cause it makes so much sense.
    My week is going well. Been losing weight too, but it is slowing down already. I try not to check my weight too often not to get disappointed.
    I’ve been getting less calories than I thought. About 600-700 a day ’cause of shakes. Have to change the label. I’ve had also cabbage salad with olive oil and raw cacao powder as coffee. I walk the stairs daily to 4 th floor. Walk extra holme too and try to stand at desk most of my work day. But no, am not doing push ups or mindful excercises.
    Only minus is that I drink water in the evening ( ’cause didn’t have time to drink enough at work) and then have to go to toilet middle of the night. So haven’t sleeping that well lately.
    TGIF
    Have a great weekend you all! Keep up the good work!

• posted by Lio
    on

Hi everyone, and welcome to another day on the BSD, only day 3 for me, so I still have plenty of enthusiasm for a life without bread, pasta and potatoes ๐Ÿ˜„

This is my first BSD day going to work – days off are relatively easy to organise so that I keep my mind off food, but I am a terrible snacker at work. Still, I have breakfast, lunch and a snack with me and a nice dinner to look forward to: I baked beetroot for the first time last night, ready for today’s smoked mackerel and orange salad. Zobo, I am hoping it’s nobody’s birthday so I won’t have to resist any cake!

We had the fish-in-foil recipe last night, the one that you parcel up with spring onion, carrot, chilli, soy sauce and lime, and that was yummy.

Vera, I am pathetically weak and can’t do press ups, but I do a semi-plank most days for a very pathetic 20 seconds or so ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Joes Nonna, you can still enjoy bolognaise – there is a recipe for it in both the main 8 week BSD book and another in the recipe book – you just have it with zucchini noodles instead of pasta ๐Ÿ™‚ I also love bolognaise sauce on a bed of steamed broccoli.
    I add a can of lentils to my sauce, get a few more servings out of it that way.

Zobo sounds like you are off to a good start ๐Ÿ™‚ with lunches I either take a serve of the previous night’s dinner or a salad.i make the salad the night before and just keep the dressing in a separate container. The week before last I had the same salad all week, but just varied the protein – so boiled eggs one day, tuna the next, ham & cheese etc. I also roast extra veggies when I have the oven on (pumpkin, red capsicum, zucchini, mushrooms) as they are delicious and make my salad more filling. I work full time and have a husband and 2 adult kids at home, so a bit different to you, but I’ve been making the same meals for everyone, just I have my meal with zoodles/cauliflower rice/cabbage rice, and they have pasta, potatoes or rice still.
    My favourite breakfast is steel cut oats with apple and cinammon. I make a pot of it on Sunday, divide into containers and then just reheat in the morning with some milk – it keeps me full from 6am till at least lunchtime.
    Good luck to all in this thread. I’m up to Week 7 and am really enjoying it. I haven’t lost as much as some on here (6kg), but I am on steroids which make it harder I think, and I also have insulin resistance which my doctor says does make weight loss harder. It’s not all about the scales though – I have lost 20cm from bust/waist/hips and my joint pain has almost all gone, and inflammation levels are normal. Also I have tons more energy ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Lio
    on

Sue blue, I’d say those results make it a huge win win win, how wonderful!

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hi everyone….I have lost 3 pounds so far…a great result for me. It must be difficult if you are at work. I am lucky to be retired so the only temptations I face are made by me! Sue Blue, thanks for the advice on Spaghetti Bolognese, what I should have said is I love PASTA, I do use the bolognese sauce recipe and it is a good substitute. I don’t miss the Pasta, so I am ok. My week has included fish, salads and chilli con carne, all with vegetables and I have loved it. Finally got my lovely Husband off potatoes, and he has enjoyed the meals this week too! Keep up the good work ladies….we can win!

• posted by Chick
    on

I started March 1st too, I am totally with you all about the yo yo dieting, I need to lose one and a half stone, I feel totally rubbish about myself, got to the point where apart from work I really do not want to go out. None of my nice clothes fit, no energy etc etc. I have started the couch to 5km but I am only walking at the moment but I must admit I do feel better for the bit of exercise. Does anyone know how many apples you are allowed to eat and also are bananas off limits. Good luck to everyone! This is the very first time I have used a forum, so far so good, I am enjoying reading everyone’s posts as I realise I am not on my own with all the horrible feelings associated with being overweight. X

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Oh Chick, you sound a bit low. You only have one and a half stone to lose, and on this diet you can do it. I can’t help you re the apples or bananas as fruit doesn’t agree with me despite me loving it, so I don’t eat it. If you need encouragement or advice this is the place for it. Keep trying, you will succeed. xx

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Well Chick, I dont want to make you feel any worse but I only allow myself one apple a week and no bananas but there are lots of lovely fruits we can eat, even if in moderation. Strawberries are starting to come back in season and my freezer always has a bag of raspberries and a bag of mixed berries for chucking into a yoghurt. With the amount of weight you have to lose try to stick to the first 7 days with absolute determination. I think you will see a result that will give you so much more motivation to continue. I read back on posts like Newbie but I need help, Don’t think I can do this…. and so on then I read several weeks later and they are doing great and giving out advice. I can think of 2 in particular who were at their wits end and one has reached goal and the other is a star performer. Glad you joined the forum, you will get all the support you need. Hugs go out to you.

• posted by Lio
    on

Hi Chick, I’m on day three like you. so far I am sticking mostly to recipes from the book: I will sometimes have an apple chopped into yoghurt and am also planning some things with blueberries, raspberries, passion fruit and oranges but I don’t think from memory that bananas are mentioned. I think this plan is helped a lot if you love vegetables.

Wrt exercise, are you a member of a gym or are you doing your couch to 5k outdoors? I have tried it twice and have had to conclude that running just isn’t for me, but badminton, Pilates, Zumba and more suit me very well.

• posted by Chick
    on

Thank you all for your replies – as I said this is my first forum ever and I am loving your replies and finding them very helpful and encouraging. Couch 2 5km – I am doing it outdoors and must admit the fresh air is lovely as I work in an office all day long. Does everyone on this plan weigh themselves every day? I plan to read the book again as I think I missed bits and bobs along the way. I have porridge for breakfast with a few raisins is this OK? Still feel unsure about this plan. chick x

• posted by Chick
    on

Just read your last post and found it very inspiring and helpful, I will definitely try and plan my meals the way you have done. What sort of porridge do you use? Also can someone recommend some nice natural yogurt please?
    x

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Bananas are to be avoided, I’m afraid, as are all tropical fruits. They are enormously high in sugar and low in fiber. Check out Diet Doctor’s visual guide for an at-a-glance overview of different fruits and their carb levels.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits

Porridge is iffy. I avoid it entirely because it’s so high in carbs — 58 grams net per 100 grams of steel-cut oats — and even though they’re good complex carbs, I aim for no more than 20 grams of carbs a day, but there are other BSDers who manage it very successfully. Portion control is key. You can have your breakfast oatmeal, but it has to be a very modest amount and you have to weigh and count it to be sure it’s not getting away from you. This applies to steel-cut oats only, btw. Not to rolled oats which have been stripped of the good parts to make them fast to cook and fast, too fast, to digest.

Raisins are a problem, alas. Grapes are sugar bombs and they retain that quality even when dried. That means for a meager .5 ounces (14 grams) of raisins, you get 11 grams of carbs, 8 of them sugar. How about dried blueberries instead? Or fresh or frozen ones, for that matter. I make blueberry oatmeal for my bf (who is not on the BSD) and he loves it.

You’ll be fine, Chick. Don’t be afraid! Like sunshine-girl points out, there are people whose first posts here approached full meltdown status, and a few weeks later they’re rocking the BSD like old pros.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

The general consensus on yoghurt is the Fage Total full fat Greek yoghurt. Lidl also have a full fat Greek-style yoghurt that is also good (and a lot cheaper). I weigh out 100gms a day and have 80gms of frozen mixed berries each morning and by lunchtime they are just right ๐Ÿ˜‹

• posted by Zobo74
    on

Hi everyone, so nice to read your posts and shows that although we all have our own stories and battles to face, we’re not on our own. Welcome to the new starters and also to those further along the way who are able to offer words of wisdom. It will be tough to know exactly what to do, there may be times where we slip up or eat the ‘wrong thing’ but trying to remember that will only be a small part of the journey and the next day is a new day. This is fine saying it to everyone but I am starting to head for meltdown like Esnecca said already as I am struggling with my mood tonight, I have done okay with eating all week, can’t say I have been particularly hungry or headaches this time, I have still have urges to ‘sneakily binge’ but have staved this off with nibbling nuts or drinking water.
    I think it’s just feeling down about not being able to eat or drink what I want. Feeling as though it’s ‘unfair’ that all my friends are posting about wine o clock! I know you shouldn’t ‘need’ alcohol to wind down and I usually only drink at the weekends so I am sitting here feeling very tetchy and moping about not having any as it’s Friday. I hope this doesn’t mean I have a problem. So my usual anticipation for the end of the working week and relaxing has been replaced by filling with dread at being at home with temptation around and feeling like I can’t relax.
    Sorry to bring a down to everyones positivity (I started the post to try and stay positive), I should be pleased with the 8lb weight loss and have more motivation than I have at the moment so I hope this passes. I suppose it’s like the struggle when people give up cigarettes, they say the first few weeks are the first!
    Hope everyone has a good weekend.
    Zobo.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

There’s nothing to apologize for, Zobo. We’ve all been there. I’ve had the Injustice Meltdown at least twice. It’s entirely reasonable to occasionally feel the weight of the work you have to do to live a healthy life while around you people seem to just waltz through it without a care. I like to do something sumptuous when I’m feeling that way. If it has come upon me suddenly, I’ll run a nice hot bath, jets running full blast. If I’ve been bummed all day, I’ll have a protein shake for lunch so I can have a wonderfully rich calorific dinner to replace the sense of deprivation with a sense of indulgence. Fathead pizza is my favorite treat along those lines.

http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/04/23/fat-head-pizza/

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi everyone, I’m getting my daily fix of forum reading ๐Ÿ™‚ I don’t think I would have kept going a few days ago without it. I am 12 days in and have lost 3.3kg, 1kg this morning after a 5 day plateau. I know many lose more quickly but I am just so happy to be losing any at all!

Zobo, I so know what you mean about the wine. For many years I have had a glass or two with dinner and I have a standing Friday night with friends that always involves alcohol. I’ve cut out the weeks day ones but made a conscious choice yesterday to factor in 2 glasses of prosecco and a scotch and water into my cal & carb ‘allowance’. It was yummy! I am so careful all the rest of the time because I know myself so well, one little indulgence will become another and another until it’s all gone pear shaped.

I’m taking my mother on a short cruise day after next. Only four days but four days of constant temptation! Does anyone have any tips? I’m thinking rather than try to count calories I will try to stick to small portion sizes of med type foods, avoid simple carbs and deal with any damage when I get home.

I’ve just made the broccoli and Stilton soup that was recommended on another thread but with Camembert instead. It tastes fabulous and I’m freezing it for lunches when I’m back at work.

This forum is such a marvellous resource! I’m starting to believe I really can reach my goal-20 kg by June- and be within my recommended weight range at my son’s wedding in September instead of the short, fat one in the bridal party photos.

• posted by Lio
    on

Oh no, I did a long reply last night to Chick and mostly to Zobo being your cheerleader and it’s not here! I have to go now but will try and check in later and see how folk are doing x

on

Lio you must have pressed the return arrow, which takes you back to where you were before, so no post. Instead always return to the forum homepage by using the Forums key at the top (between Recipes and FAQ) click on it and go to All Recent Topics. That takes you back without deleting your post

• posted by Lio
    on

Thanks sunshine girl ๐Ÿ˜Š perhaps you can help me on another thing: Is there a way to flip the conversation so that I see the newest post at the top? Thanks. And mariet re the cruise: Your approach would have been exactly what I would suggested. Eyes on the prize ๐Ÿ˜Š

on

Lio, when you click on All Recent Topics the first one is the last thread to be commented on, you can scroll down to what interests you and when you click on a thread you automatically get the latest comment.

on

mariet, you know what you can eat and more importantly what you cant eat. Dont expect to stick to 800 cals and dont expect to be perfect, you are there to enjoy yourself so if you can manage small treats and maintain control then dont worry. Having said that, not everyone can do that, if so, totally avoid the things that will set you off and just enjoy everything else. If it is a buffet, fill your plate with good stuff, walk away and dont go back. People eat 600 more calories per meal when it is served buffet style. Look for cold meats and salads, even fruits but not too many. I am going on a cruise around the Norwegian Ffjords in May so hope I can follow my own advice although alcohol will be involved. Just enjoy yourself, no point in being miserable. You seem to have it sussed anyway. Bon voyage.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Thanks Sunshine Girl. I’ll do my best and luckily my mother is not a drinker (not like me!) so I won’t be tempted that way. The timing isn’t the best but timing in life goes like that doesn’t it?

Goodnight all.

• posted by Zobo74
    on

Good luck with your short cruise Mariet, I think if you do as Sunshine girl says and try and stick to plan with meats and salads you’ll be fine but also enjoy it, even if you steer off track a little, it is only four days and you can soon get back on track. How has everyone’s weekend been? Sorry about my feeling down post earlier, still feeling a bit of injustice mode but getting there, I know the only person that can get myself out of this is me! I have been absolutely fine again food wise, not really hungry and have drank plenty of water and added in some herb/fruit teas to help stave off any temptations. The lack of wine has been the hardest but I have made it through, not without comments from my husband and kids who have said they don’t like it when I diet as it makes me cranky! I am hoping next week will improve my tiredness levels though as this is up and down, I wasn’t too bad yesterday as I managed a 2 mile run which was good, plus lots of housework – but today I have been shattered and fell asleep for over an hour this afternoon, probably my body being in shock from running as not been for weeks ๐Ÿ˜‚! Last time I did the BSD my energy levels soared but then I started getting hypos which is why I stopped. Non so far this time, the lowest my sugars have been are 4.6 with a highest of 6.1 and that was after my run weirdly!? Anyway, a new week starts tomorrow and I am 10lbs lighter so can’t be doing too bad! I know this will slow down but has to be a positive and I wore a tunic today that looked awful on me a couple weeks ago and it fitted loads better – the husband said it looks like I am ‘pulling in’ haha! Hope everyone is okay and has a great week. ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Mariet
    on

Congratulations Zobo, 10lb is fabulous!

• posted by Zobo74
    on

Thanks Mariet, hope you have a wonderful time with your Mum xx

• posted by Phreckles
    on

Hi everyone – I’m on day four and am already down six lbs. Thrilled! I know I won’t continue to lose at this rate but it’s heartening none-the-less. I just wanted to post about another, unexpected, but wonderful side-effect of the BSD. Yesterday, after a really tough and busy week at work (working an average of 12 hour days), I found myself, unlike previous Saturdays of late, energized and in high spirits. Since the holidays, my Saturdays have been a combination of sleeping late, doing crossword puzzles on the couch, napping, or binge watching Netflix. Yesterday, I was up early, got all my laundry done, all my grocery shopping, and went out with my daughter for coffee. I discovered almond milk lattes are super-delicious (thanks to someone on here for that suggestion). My food is a tad on the boring side and kind of samey from day to day but I know it’s what I like and it’s easy to stay within my 800 calorie limit if I eat, mostly the same food every day.
    I’m re-reading the book at the moment to make sure I didn’t miss anything the first time around. Does anyone know if there are guidelines in the book that tell you what your daily nutrition should look like? E.G.: How many grams of carbs, fat, protein, sodium etc. we should be staying at or under? I want to make certain I’m getting the right nutrients. You are all probably done for the day over in the UK, but, here in Minnesota, it’s mid afternoon. Having dinner with my niece and her family this evening, but she’s on The Ketogenic Diet so I shouldn’t run into any difficulty. It’ll be fun for us to share experiences and she’s promised to lend me a great lo-carb recipe book.
    Anyway, thanks to all the seasoned BSDers for all your help and best of luck to all the newbies.

• posted by Zobo74
    on

Wow well done Phreckles, that’s great in 4 days! I think many BSD veterans have their own ideas on grams, I have read some saying to stay below 30g carbs, some 40 and some higher but think we have to find what suits us individually over time. I am hoping the longer I do this the easier it will get and like you I am sticking to samey foods at the moment and that is helping me focus and stay under the 800 easily but I aim to start branching out a bit more after my 2nd week. Must try an almond milk latte soon too, also going to try Esnecca’s fat head pizza this week too, look delicious ๐Ÿ˜‹
    Take care all xx

• posted by Lio
    on

Hi everyone, and well done for sticking with the BSD for another day. My weekends are a lot less structured than the rest of my week, and I’ve found that hard, BUT I think I’ve stuck to the 800 calories more or less (harder to work out when eating family meals) and I’ve made two tasty packed lunches to have at work tomorrow and Tuesday, then I get my two days off, which I found relatively easy to manage last week โ€“ Phreckles, I started on 01 March so I think that was the same as you? I’m planning on going up to Easter.

Wednesday will be a week since my first weigh-in and I think I’m on track for a good result, so that will give me a boost. I have felt hungry though, and that combined with PMS has made me super-cranky, but I’m looking forward to that thing Zobo reports, where I wear a tunic or pair of jeans or whatever, and it just fits better. That will be worth waiting for ๐Ÿ™‚

Night night, and good afternoon Minnesota x

• posted by Zobo74
    on

Hi Lio, so nice to hear from you. I am sure you have done great. Hopefully the hunger will subside once the PMS is over! I am hoping more of my clothes look better soon, one of the reasons I knew I had to try this again was not being able to get into my old faithful jeans, they are waiting in my wardrobe for the end of the month! Trying to take each day at a time is my new outlook – now I have survived a weekend without wine ๐Ÿท ๐Ÿ˜‚ Though I am still planning ahead with meals, I am hoping focusing a day at a time will help with my mood (and injustice feelings lol, knowing I am not alone helps)
    Have a great week all xx

• posted by Vera
    on

Hello!

I should’ve read your inspiring posts during the weekend ’cause I lost self control yesterday. I was feeling dizzy and weak and saw 3 small turkey sausages at the table and yes, had them right away. Then I had some eggplant and feta cheese. My weight’s been about the same since last Wednesday so I’ve lost only 6 pounds in a week. I have to leave raw cacao powder , feta and olive oil for now. Seeds have lot of calories too, so won’t be adding those on my salad anymore either. Maybe on 5:2.. those should be good calories anyways.
    You talked about wearing nice clothes. Yees. When I lose my motivation I try my small clothes. I’ve gained recently more weight and my Winter coat’s been so tight, but it’s getting lose already! I don’t have to pull my tummy in when putting it on. Yay!
    Mariet: I can relate to you. Haven’t lost that much either and could think of losing about 20 kg somewhere in June.
    Phreckles: not everybody except you are from Uk. I’m from Finland. But yeah in this side of world anyways. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Vera – I can’t believe you are dismissing a 6lb loss in a week as ‘just’. Even when I first started on the BSD I didn’t lose that in a week – in fact, never have lost that much in a week – I’d be delighted to be able to report such a loss. We all lose at different rates, even sticking to the same rules – we’re all unique. Embrace what you have achieved, set yourself a mini goal to help keep you focused and motivated and go for it.

Well done on celebrating you non-scales achievement of comfortably getting into your winter coat. Those victories help to keep us on the right track.

Finally, don’t punish yourself too much for your transgression. It’s unlikely to have had as much impact as you fear and depriving yourself too much as a punishment might well prove counterproductive, making it more like that you will transgress again.

Keep going everyone!

• posted by Vera
    on

Hi SunnyB and other fellow dieters
    Ofcaurse 6 lb is better than nothing, but I have gained 12 lb in a week before, so I thought it would happen first week too.
    It is true that we shouldn’t compare to eachother … on anything.
    Another thing that bothers me is that my colleagues and friends judge what I eat. They always have been doing that. ” How can you survive with only that, you sould be eating more this and that, here take some of my lasagne to get some energy, I bet u’ll be hungry in 1 hr,. Aargh! I never judge my friends’ meals even if I see they don’t always eat healthy food.
    Have a great week every1

• posted by Lio
    on

Hi everyone, well I am celebrating completing a week of a more-or-less BSD: I built in some bread/cracker/flapjack carbs on three of the days, so not completely strict, but I’m feeling at ease with that decision as I’d rather keep going and do it imperfectly than get so grumpy that I stop altogether. I lost 2.8kg, which is about 6lb and I think is very fair. I am trying not to concentrate on the fact that I have another 40 days to go ๐Ÿ™‚

Today I have had a really delicious mushroom omelette for lunch and will have spag bol for dinner except courgetti spaghetti for me. Mmmmm. Also going to try the melon and blueberry smoothie from the book today. I went for a walk with a friend and to a sweaty zumba session, and I’ve got more exercise planned for tomorrow.

Vera, I am very fortunate in that I only work three days a week so I can plan enough ‘big-looking’ salad-y lunches to avoid those sorts of comments. In fact, I made the decision to lie to my colleagues: I have said that I’ve given up sugar for Lent and haven’t even tried to explain that in fact I’m trying to stick to 800 calories a day, because if people haven’t read the book and been convinced by the research that led to it, then it does sound nuts to them. I hope your colleagues lay off you soon, but in the meantime you have plenty of people here who understand and support what you are doing.

Carry on carrying on and I’ll look forward to hearing from folk.

• posted by Vera
    on

Hi!
    Lio: You lost exactly same amount of weight than me.2.8 kg first week. Not bad even though you didn’t follow BSD 100 %. Me neither. Yeah, I’d never tell my colleagues am having only 800 kcal a day. No way! It’s great you are excercising too. Do you feel more energetic? I do! Been doing more chores than usually (hate chores). I have so much energy after work day.
    I have some challenges coming up next week. Got to have lunch with my boss and am going to a 2 day conference which is going to be at hotel. I hope there is buffet where I can pick delicious salads. But for now I am following BSD pretty well.
    Tc ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.