Headaches

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Toni
    on

Hello partners!
    I am a very new member of the program – not quite a week so far.
    I am about 10 Kgs overweight, not diabetic – but I would be surprised if I did not have a degree of fatty liver – even fatty pancreas?
    I started the diet after having a holiday where I had everything I wanted and a fair bit of wine.
    I was ready to take the plunge.
    The biggest challenge for me was giving up the nightly glasses of wine – about 5 o’clock the desire for wine could become
    preoccupying! I had a sense of shame about this craving and felt controlled buy it.
    So, the good news is that I have been following the diet plan devotedly, and managing to avoid that 5 o’clock craving by having dessert before dinner – eg plain yoghurt and rhubarb coulis with a sprinkle of xylitol.
    I have lost two Kgs. But I have managed to catch a cold and a headache for about three days – detoxing? – which, with the constant getting up in the night to urinate has meant I have not had good quality sleep.
    I checked out the book this morning and there was the suggestion that headaches might relate to not taking in enough fluids so I will try that even though I already visit the toilet so often in 24 hrs.
    I have, however, had a lot of excess energy – the trouble with not drinking at night is that it is hard to sit still in front of T.V. Ha ha!

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Hi Toni, 10 kg is not that much. Many of us have lost 16 kg+. Take it more slowly and don’t feel guilty it is what is known as a “zero value added activity”. Fluids are important as is good fat and protein. We are aiming for a better balance all round. This British weather does not help either. Bank holiday coming and winter weather everywhere. I often you used to get ill if I took time off work and relaxed – it was then the colds and stuff used to hit me – as if they had been just under the surface waiting for an opportunity to surface and make my life miserable. Reducing carbs is good it is what you replace them with that makes the difference. Substituting sugar with sweetener is not that good an option but for creatures of habit it may be a way to see just how much they were dependent on sugary carbs. Alcohol is a habit that just needs breaking, we all can drink but not every day. Use your excess energy wisely, any exercise is good walking is also good for the mind. Have fun and don’t beat yourself up, look after your body – you know how to…

• posted by Toni
    on

Thanks Skywalker, I realise that 10 Kgs is not that much compared to some – but of course sometimes that’s the hardest to lose.
    I reckon my diet was rather unusually good before – I love vegetables and healthy foods – but the wine was, I think, the main obstacle.
    I noticed yesterday that I had a sense of unusually wonderful well-being! Although I still have remnants of my cold I have a lift in energy and ideas. I am a creative person and like to cook interesting and varied dishes – I also like to sew, and paint sometimes, so the positive direction in which I’m going can fuel my pursuits.
    My husband is also on this journey – he in fact started it with cutting back the alcohol – and then we happened upon ‘That Sugar Film’ the other day and that is also a good motivator and reminder of the physiological/ psychological effects of ‘sugar’ – my husbands’ mistress!! ha ha.
    Yes, there are more constructive ways to spend time instead of in front of the box – night time weariness does kick in though.
    I’ll have to work on that.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi toni, welcome to the forums! 🙂
    The constant need to visit the toilet seemed to subside for me after 2 or 3 weeks! So it should get better soon and you will enjoy improved sleep 🙂

• posted by Toni
    on

Thanks for that. I look forward to it!

• posted by newstart
    on

When I startedon 5:2 a few years ago my muslm neighbour told me the secret of fasting – limit your caffeine – I found that my 1 expresso in the morning (now no sugar) is okay – any more and they still came. Early on I stil struggled and just cut it out completely. It worked for me and I am someone who struggles with migraines … perseverance and patience will win over !

Please log in or register to post a reply.