Has anyone else felt faint?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Nic2385
    on

One week into the 800 diet. Started at 17 stone 2lbs. I’ve lost 10lbs in that week. Hunger pangs left after three days, amazing. Learning to eat something approaching the Medittereanean way but I have 50 years of unlearning to do. I followed the book’s advice and visited my surgery before beginning. I was called back for a fasting glucose and cholesterol blood test this morning because my cholesterol was found to be 7.1. It took 3 attempts to find a vein and get the blood, by which time I (very unusually) saw the sparkles and nearly fainted. Very embarrassing. A retired police officer, blood (mine or anyone else’s) doesn’t phase me in the slightest.

I think it must have been the fasting overnight after a good week’s weight loss alongside a cycle ride to the surgery, but would be interested to know if this has happened to anyone else.

Good luck to all with your goals

Nic

• posted by bob
    on

hi nic,
    yes ive experienced this feeling,i found making sure im drinking 3-5 ltrs of water a day,stops me feeling like that,without my water intake,the days a struggle.
    bob.

• posted by Bre123
    on

Hi Nic
    I have felt lightheaded on a couple of occasions and felt really faint one morning before I had my breakfast as I was pottering around the kitchen – as soon as I had something to eat and drink I felt ok. The advice to drink lots of water is good, I drink about 2-3 ltrs a day even though sometimes it’s a real struggle as I really want a cup of tea!
    I’m in week 5 and have so far lost 15 lb (I’ve got 4 stone to loose in total so I was hoping for more but it is the quickest I’ve ever lost weight). Other than feeling lightheaded a couple of times I had horrible headaches on day 3 which thankfully have completely gone since. My only other complaint is that I feel cold all of the time which is the opposite of how I usually feel, but I can suffer it for the weight loss lol.
    Keep up the good work.
    Bre123

• posted by Nic2385
    on

Thanks I must drink more water, not just drink less wine! I have been drinking about 1 litre, clearly not enough. Big efforts need some careful tuning obviously. Well done on the 15lbs so far Bre123. If I can lose 4 stone I’ll be over the moon. My next thread will be about frequent loo trips no doubt πŸ˜€

• posted by Bre123
    on

Indeed, that is the downside to drinking more water, although its about 120 steps round trip to the loo when I’m at work so it all adds up πŸ™‚

• posted by Nic2385
    on

And adds to the time you spend standing up 😳

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Nic
    Re drinking enough. I draw a picture of 5 glasses and 5 cups in my notebook.
    ( water, hot water, red bush tea, herb tea- hawthorn which makes you pee a lot!- I don’t count the coffees) As I drink them throughout the day I cross them off. This adds up to 2.8 litres.
    Penny

• posted by Nic2385
    on

Pmshrink that’s a simple but clever idea. Think I’m going to adapt and give myself gold stars πŸ˜€

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Nic,
    Feeling lightheaded and like fainting happens to a lot of people when having blood taken or injections. It’s called a vaso- vagal response and quite surprisingly it’s usually the big burly rugby player types ( in my experience) that it happens to. Of course they are the ones I didn’t have a hope of catching if they fell lol!!
    Don’t be embarrassed because you have no control over it. Just make sure next time you have blood taken that you are well hydrated before so it’s easier to find a vein. You can drink a litre of water before a fasting blood test. Lean well back in the chair while you are having blood taken and flex your calf muscles/ rotate your ankles to keep good blood flow in your legs. It will all help!

• posted by Nic2385
    on

Thanks Cherrianne, that makes sense and is reassuring. I’ve given blood and had it taken a lot without a problem. Will definitely drink more water to avoid my embarrassed apologies to the surgery nurse next time. It’s the first time I’ve felt woozy since giving up wine for this diet πŸ˜€πŸ·.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Good Nic. ☺️

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

No worries Nic, the nurses will have seen it all before!

Please log in or register to post a reply.