Halfway to Paradise?!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by GillyD
    on

Hello everyone! I have also been “lurking” on the forums and reading with great interest and admiration about people’s experiences on the BSD… I have now decided to take the plunge and say hi properly ๐Ÿค— I have just finished week 4 and have lost 13 lbs so far.. I was a bit disappointed this week to only lose 1lb but still it was a loss ! I am not diabetic but was possibly edging towards it, not so much because I am addicted to carbs but because I had fallen into the trap of ” rewarding” myself with wine after stressful days at work… That and moving to a more sedentary job with more travel (sitting down and longer hours) meant the weight I had lost a few years before piled on…. So I thought I’d try this as the 5:2 didn’t really work for me ( it’s all or nothing with me !) and what a difference!!! Even just cutting what carb I did eat means my digestion is better, I don’t feel so bone achingly tired and I have lost weight! So I am looking forwar to the next 4 weeks as I need to lose at least another stone for the holiday of a lifetime we have coming in July ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿค— Good luck to everyone else who is/ has embarked on this way of eating as I really think it works. Have a lovely day all x

• posted by LindaA
    on

Well done Halfway to Paradise. It’s a great feeling isn’t it, when you realise the reality isn’t as scary as the thought of it. Please keep posting and let us know how you go!
    Linda

• posted by Maefly
    on

Hi GillyD, (fellow lurker) Great to hear your story so far. I am not there yet, but looking forward to it. I have a holiday ahead too, it is great motivation. Good to hear that you are feeling so good after four weeks.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Sorry GillyD
    I called you Halfway to Paradise! Silly me!!! Sorry.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by thepolly
    on

Yay, GillyD, me too. I’m about a stone down but still have about 3 to lose and possibly more. The lack of hunger helps. The whole rewarding with food or drink is a weird thing, isn’t it? Hope you are doing a different self reward thing instead.

well done to everyone else too
    Polly x

• posted by BSD
    on

Great post GillyD. I haven’t dieted in years as I consider them fads and the weight just creeped up (even though I wasn’t officially overweight – but border line) and I have never counted calories/weighed items, because my food was generally healthy. But being told I was diabetic was the wake up call I needed and the same for me its a ‘all or nothing ‘ approach I needed to keep motivated. I actually like most of the meals or have adapted some of the meat ones with Quorn (reduces the calories). Food tastes better and my attitude has changed, I really don’t feel I need to go back to old ways or that I am missing out (Like some diets). I think since I have hit my goals I will move to the 5:2 now to maintain it.

• posted by GillyD
    on

Hi Linda thanks and no probs re name! Yes life without carbs is surprisingly good!!

Maefly I have even managed to persuade my husband that cutting down on carbs could help him feel less bloated ( and he doesn’t need to lose any weight ๐Ÿ˜ฌ !!!) The holiday is really a great motivator and I have 7 weeks left…!

thepolly I have applied the 5:2 principle to wine and only have a glass with dinner on those 2 days… How times have changed. I sleep better, my skin is better and I enjoy the glasses I do have much more now.. It is still hard to break that ” I deserve” rationale but am replacing with I deserve a new dress/ top/ trousers in a smaller size !

BSD I totally agree food just tastes so much better now! I have a smoked mackerel poached egg and salad combo at weekends and I just want to lick the plate it’s so nice ! I think we all have a personal wake up call that is a sufficient motivator for change and for me there were lots of little signs that my health wasn’t great and I needed to do something.

Good luck to you all in the coming weeks – I find the forums ever so helpful especially if you feel a waver coming on !

• posted by GillyD
    on

Hello everyone…. I thought I would let people know how I have got on as I am now at the end of the 8 week period… So I have lost 21pounds with BSD so far I have gone from 13 stone to 11 stone 7 and I am now 2lbs lighter than the last time I lost weight. I still want to get to 11 stone before I go on holiday in 4 weeks but have reset my target as I really believe I can do it this time. 10 stone 6 is my new target as I will be continuing with this way of eating from now on. I feel better, the brain fog has gone , I am looking at clothes 2 sizes down and people are now beginning to notice! I have been pretty strict ( just a couple of glasses of wine at the weekends) and have been swimming and going to the gym. I enlisted the help of a personal trainer for 4 weeks and he is putting me through my paces ( which I am loving btw!). So to anyone currently thinking about doing it I can honestly say that I am delighted with the results and although I wasn’t carb addicted I was wine addicted. I don’t miss carbs at all! The 8 weeks rounded off nicely with my husband and I going for dinner for his birthday and I kept to the principles even if I did have a glass or two extra and still managed 3 lbs!! Good Luck and best wishes to everyone out there… This way of eating really has been a life changer for me. Xxxx

• posted by Frog
    on

congratulations GillyD – that’s brilliant.
    I’ve just got a size smaller jeans out of the wardrobe today – I have no idea the last time I fitted!
    Bit of an ‘overhang’ in the waist area, my tummy is far from flat,, so paired with a lose-ish top, but it’s such a pleasure not to walk around feeling the need to pull my jeans up every five minutes.

• posted by Madmare
    on

Congratulations Frog
    I too have managed to get a into a lovely pair of trousers that I bought and could not wear because of the belly

Well done GillyD
    Rewarding yourself with wine sounds very familiar!

• posted by GillyD
    on

Thanks Frog and Madmare! I have a bit of an overhang too… Not sure I’ll get rid of it entirely as I had a Caesarian but delighted to be continuing onwards and downwards! It’s so nice to fit into clothes that haven’t fitted for a while. Keep up the good work!!!
    Madmare the wine reward for me had just become too much too often and that is one of the best things about doing this as I have taken back control over my consumption. In fact by not having it Sun-Thu I really look forward to those couple of glasses and they def taste better ๐Ÿค—

• posted by GillyD
    on

So I have 3 weeks until my holiday and 5lbs to lose to reach my target for the holiday (11 stone). Today I decided to try on a pair of size 12 skinny jeans….. To my utter surprise I could get them on and do them up!! I looked like a bag of spanners but you know a SIZE 12 bag of spanners!!! Bought a couple of tops in size 12 too…. Not done that in a number of years ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—

• posted by BSD
    on

GillyD – I just came back from a holiday and had put 4lb on, so did the 500 calorie a day for 2 days and lost it. Might be worth a try if you are struggling before you go on holiday.

• posted by GillyD
    on

Thanks BSD I may well give that a try in the last couple of weeks! Delighted as I was to be trying and “fitting” size 12 trousers I would like them to be less snug ๐Ÿ˜‚ But it has prompted me to go through my wardrobe and try everything on. Resulting in a large pile of clothes for charity…. Amazing how I saw that clothes I thought were not too bad are in fact way too big ๐Ÿค—

• posted by BSD
    on

Snap re the clothes, the charity shop is doing very well from me. Some tops I really Love and are too big, but just can’t get rid of them until I have found a replacement. Trousers and skirts are a different matter (I have even sewn one pair, so they don’t fall down), can’t find anything in brown at the moment!!! Love the weight loss HATE shopping.

• posted by GillyD
    on

So we are all off on holiday tomorrow… Cases packed ( well almost) cat off to the cat hotel. House tidied ( well almost) and I did my last official weigh in before we go. Originally My target was to be 11 stone and then I decided that wasn’t enough and I wanted it to say 10 something. I weighed in at 10 stone 13 1/2 !!! Yippee yippee yippee!!! I’m not finished though so work will continue whilst on holiday ๐Ÿค— Actually it doesn’t feel like work anymore and I don’t miss those carbs at all. I am looking forward to wearing all those lovely new clothes I have needed to buy ๐Ÿ˜‰ Good luck to everyone currently on or about to start the BSD. Best thing I have ever done. Fact.

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Really well done you !!!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Fantastic! Well done Gilly! Congratulations and have a fabulous holiday!

๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Vickitum
    on

Hello GillyD

Well done on achieving your goal before your holiday, I’m the same height as you and like you I am just squeezing into a size 12, more so on top – still working on the tummy but not so wobbly as when I started! We are going on holiday in 10 days, I’m currently 10 stone 12 and my goal is to get to the top of my healthy weight range before then or as close to it as possible! Have a great holiday.

• posted by GillyD
    on

Thanks Plumptious, Igorasusual and Vickitum for your kind comments….It’s a great feeling to have lost 2 1/2 stone… I am feeling and looking the best I have for at least 5 years and am looking forward to teaching my next goal. But for now I am going to enjoy my holiday glad that I have worked blooming hard ! ๐Ÿค—

• posted by GillyD
    on

So I am back after the most amazing holiday with a very light tan ( Scottish and pale) , thousands of mosquito bites and 8 additional pounds apparently!! How is that even possible? Ate healthily, drank moderately and exercised quite a bit despite the searing heat. Hey ho I knew I’d put a bit back on but 8 pounds?? So back to normal service today and see if I can shake this off ASAP!!! Have a good day everyone !

• posted by GillyD
    on

Having just been away camping ( yes it was howling gales) I have discovered to my horror that I have put on 5 lbs in 5days!!!! How is that possible. I didn’t stick rigidly to the 800 but we did lots of outdoorsy activities. Hey ho I am back on it now and planning a second bloc of PersonalTraining to get the next stone off ๐Ÿค— On the plus side my doctor reduced one of my BP medications by half yesterday something I never thought would happen. Great result ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿค—

• posted by GillyD
    on

For anyone that is interested….There is now a Blood Sugar Diet Recipe Book available…Just out today… I’m getting my copy now!!!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Great mine should be on its way as I preordered it. Will wave to the post woman tomorrow.

Please log in or register to post a reply.