Got a stone to lose to healthy BMI- got to kick this sugar habit.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sianee12
    on

I’ll need help as I find I feel quite ill for a few days until the sugar withdrawal has subsided. I find it so hard as I have to be all or nothing with sugar. Also would like to improve my gut biome as I finding losing weight a slow process. Anyone with similar goals fancy joining me?

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi sianee12, I am in the process of breaking a sugar addiction and I know there are others on here doing the same so lots of support when you need it.
    Have you looked at the Paul McKenna book ‘Get Control of Sugar’? It gives some very startling facts about what sugar does to us but also has his usual ‘mind-programming’ audios which I have found really helpful.
    SSB

• posted by sianee12
    on

Thanks for the advice SallySeaBird. I’l have a look at that. I’ve done it before but annoyingly don’t seem to manage it for more than a few weeks. I find once I get a taste again it’s a nightmare keeping on track.
    I’m going to log everything on My Fitness Pal to stay under 50g of carbs a day – I’ll try and get all my cards from veg so that will help with the biome.

• posted by Mermaid
    on

Yup, fellow sugar addict here. I know what you mean by all or nothing with sugar, and about being ill coming off it. I find that it takes me 3 to 4 days to come out of the fog, stop having headaches etc after sugar withdrawal.

I also use sugar psychologically, as a reward, support, comfort mechanism. And I’ll think nothing of demolishing whole boxes of chocolates, packets of biscuits etc. The rest of my eating is quite healthy.

I’m meditating to help me get more mind and body awareness, to relax and stay more focused.

I’ve got 2 stone to lose

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Sianee12 – I know what you mean – I have even done 3 weeks and completely gone off sugar but then had some cake/biscuit thinking ‘one won’t hurt’ and then before I know it I’m back off the wagon.
    Mermaid – I also use sugar when I’m cross/tired/depressed/bored…. I’m interested that you use meditation to help – I have used it in the past and found it really helpful in seeing through the emotional eating – I must try again.

Just for the record, I made a cake this morning as a thank you to a friend – it was a ‘loaded’ cake (Google the pictures – they will make you weep!)…BUT I didn’t have anything – I didn’t clean out the bowl, sample any goodies – nothing. Feeling very please with myself!
    SSB

• posted by SunnyB
    on

You can improve gut biome by including things like sauerkraut, pickles, kimchi, kefir, yogurt (live not processed) or kombucha in your diet. I personally find kombucha too sweet now, but the other options all work well within the BSD. You can find recipes for sauerkraut and kimchi online and it’s possible to buy kefir cultures online too, so you can produce your own kefir.

As far as using using sugar as a treat is concerned, have a think about other treat options – a luxurious bubble bath or other personal pampering, if you can afford to, buy in a few non-food treats, like nail varnish, new lipstick, body lotion, a scented candle, for instance – then put them away to be brought out later as a treat when you feel you deserve it. Could be hitting a mini-goal or needing a treat to give you a boost – either way, it would be something non-calorific that you can feel good about.

Well done on resisting that yummy cake by the way – not sure I could have been so disciplined, especially when it came to the bowl!

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi SunnyB, yes, finding alternative treats is a great idea – it’s interesting that we consider sugar to be a treat even when we know it is poisoning us – I can’t imagine saying ‘oh I’ll treat myself to a sniff of cocaine or a cigarette’ and yet I know that long term, sugar can be just as lethal.
    I actually feel a bit guilty about the cake – I know my friend will love it but I feel, at one level, that I am actually giving her something that is essentially bad for her! Perhaps I should give up baking!
    My OH makes kefir and I try to have some every day – he reckons it’s made a big difference to him as he used to get IBS symptoms but he doesn’t any more. I can only have the mild version though – he likes it really thick and sour 😖
    SSB

• posted by BSD13
    on

Hi,
    I am thinking of making kefir. First couple of attempts from e-bay and Amazon ordered grained failed. I am actually looking for a normal full fat milk kefir grain. May I ask for a help from your OH?
    Rit

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi BSD13,
    This is the link where OH bought the grains. They delivered quickly and were a good price and they send a full info sheet on how to make it which is comprehensive. You do need to follow the instructions though because ‘acclimatising’ the grains is essential before you start. For info, we only use organic whole milk as some of the additives, etc in normal milk can affect the grains.
    Let me know how you get on.
    http://rawandpure.co.uk/
    SSB

• posted by BSD13
    on

hi,
    Will order the grain today. Keep you posted. Thanks….

• posted by sianee12
    on

Thanks so much for all this info. I actually made some red sauerkraut a few days ago so am waiting for it to ferment. I might try the kefir, but don’t know how much I’ll like it, how do you normally take it? Do you drink it on its own or use it in recipes?
    I’m eating a little live Greek yogurt with berries and a couple of chopped walnuts for breakfast, soup or salad for lunch and a big salad or roast veg with lean protein in the evening. I should have a nice weight loss for my jollies in 5 weeks and hope to have the stone off for a wedding mid Sept. I’ve got loads of suitable wedding clothes that are all too tight at the moment.
    Well done SaltySeaBird for the restraint! I’ve stopped baking for my family as much now as I ended up eating it with them.
    I went to a very nice afternoon tea yesterday as part of a Hen party and scoffed loads of sandwiches and cakes, that was my ‘last supper’ before getting back on track, I am determined now – hopefully we can all do it together.

• posted by sianee12
    on

PS I’ve been putting a little organic inulin on my berries as that’s meant to help with the biome too, I’ve even used it as a sweetener with cocoa powder for a bedtime drink. Its definitely helped with the digestion. x

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi Sianee – we just drink it as it is – there is some suggestion that it is less effective if taken with other foods but I’m not sure what the evidence is for that. I have about 100mls in a glass – my OH says he likes it so much he could just drink all of it but as I said, he likes it really thick and sour – almost fizzy; when it gets to cottage cheese consistency I find it hard to take!
    I don’t bake for my OH as he doesn’t really like cakes and biscuits but I do bake for the rest of my family – they’re about 200 miles away so I don’t do that too often. Trouble is, I love making bread too but that’s off the menu!
    SSB

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

…sorry – good luck with the weight-loss – you have made a great start! Isn’t it lovely to know you will be able to wear favourite clothes again.
    SSB

• posted by sianee12
    on

Will have to try the meditating Mermaid, I keep thinking about my holiday as motivation, I go in 5 weeks with my very skinny daughter so would be amazing to get half a stone off by then.

Please log in or register to post a reply.