GOOD EATS….. THE LOW CARB WAY

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

You can’t really see the difference because my cellphone camera is terrible and it was being aggressively steamed at the time, but here is the Indianish dinner I made tonight before, during and after the addition of guar gum. The slow cooker is full of thick and chunky greens (chickory and spinach) and chicken thighs in a delectable bed of chicken stock, pot likker and creme fraiche and that small sprinkle (a mounded teaspoon) began to tighten it right away. By the time my fella got home 10 minutes later, it was thick enough that the liquid no longer ran and he could easily eat it with a fork.

https://s13.postimg.org/7lseyjzzr/Indianishbefore.jpg
    https://s13.postimg.org/hj3frmfbb/Guargumsprinkle.jpg
    https://s13.postimg.org/9dldtgbmv/thethickening.jpg

• posted by alliecat
    on

Articfox, I really enjoyed reading this recipe. Is this a site you read
    regularly and would endorse? I’m ready to expand my horizons into
    being more creative with new low carb ideas in the new year! Thanks
    in advance for your reply…

Allie

• posted by happyitsworking
    on

Luvtcook: Have you ever notice if cooking with almond flour effects your weight loss? I plan on making your low carb pumpkin bread soon. It looks really good.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi Allie,
    Glad you enjoyed the recipe. I had never even seen this site before, and I haven’t had a chance to poke around yet and see if there might be anything else worthwhile. I found it through a google search for quick, low-carb meals.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

happyitsworking: re almond flour, no, have not seen it affect my weight loss BUT do need to figure it in re the total carbs for the day. I can maintain nicey on 30 carbs a day but really need to be about 20 to lose consistently. The low carb breads I bake all have some almond four in them and are fine. The sweet loaves have much more and less other fiber so I am very sparing with those…..use those as an infrequent treat for that reason. They freeze well so easy to leave a small amount in frig and freeze the rest safely away.

Re low carb web sites:

re Wholesumyum…..nice low carb site.

For those that are interested, others I like a lot are:

https://www.lowcarbmaven.com

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com

https://sugarfreelondoner.com/recipes/

https://lowcarbyum.com

https://www.lowcarb-ology.com

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

Just want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas….or Happy Christmas to UK friends. Hope you are all spending it with loved ones. It has been a tough year with lots of bad news on both sides of the globe. My wish is for an eruption of random acts of kindness for this holiday season. Pay it forward.

See you back after Xmas. XOXO LTC

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

LOVELY VEG SOUP LOW CAL LOW CARB GREAT WAY TO KICK OFF BSD FOR NEW STARTERS

I BREATH I’M HUNGRY TURBO VEG SOUP

★★★★★ 4.8 from 35 reviews

This delicious low carb soup recipe is loaded with healthy veggies and chicken. It’s so good it was featured in Woman’s World Magazine in November 2015!

Mellissa Sevigny Yield: Fourteen 1.5 cup servings

INGREDIENTS

* very flexible recipe…..can substitute to your hearts content just sub with like carb count. This also makes a LOT so may wish to cut in half if cooking for only for one of two (but it would freeze well )

4 slices bacon, chopped…or leftover ham, or pork, or beef, or leave out for vegetarians
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    ¼ cup onion, chopped
    1 Tbsp fresh garlic, minced
    ¼ cup sundried tomatoes, chopped….be careful on this one as tomatoes are a bit high in carbs but great addition if you are careful and stick to the 1/4 cup
    1 cup sliced white or crimini mushrooms
    8 cups chicken stock (or other flavor, white miso stock for vegetarians)
    3 cups water
    2 cups celery root, peeled and chopped into ½ inch cubes (or cauliflower, jicama, radish, turnip)
    4 cups cooked chicken breast, chopped (or other leftover meat of choice or firm tofu for veg folks)
    2 cups yellow (or zucchini) squash, sliced and quartered
    1 cup green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
    4 cups swiss chard, chopped (or collards – NOT KALE per higher carb count)
    2 Tbsp red (or white) wine vinegar
    ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped…1 Tbs dried will also work
    Salt and pepper to taste

INSTRUCTIONS

In a large soup pot, cook the bacon and olive oil over medium heat for 2 minutes.

Add the onions, garlic, sundried tomatoes, and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes.

Pour in the chicken stock and water, then add the celery root and chicken.

Simmer for 15 minutes.

Add the squash, green beans, and swiss chard and simmer for 10 minutes.

Add the red wine vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Stir in the fresh basil just before serving.

NOTES
    Approx nutrition info per 1.5 cup serving: 136 calories, 4g fat, 4g net carbs, 19g protein

• posted by Esnecca
    on

That looks fantastic. I will eschew the sundrieds all together, of course, (I’ve never really understood the charm of raisin tomatoes anyway, not when you can have real fresh ones instead of terrible pink supermarket ones) and replace the onion with the white part of green onions or with one shallot, but those are minor subs compared to convoluted solutions I usually have to devise. Definitely making this and soon. Thanks, LTC.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

MEXICAN CHICKEN SOUP

One more soup….then I will quit….I promise.

Made this for lunch and loved, loved, loved it….has a bit of heat (your option of how much to add) and bright flavors from the lime and cilantro. A new favorite. Will be having again for dinner (did I say how much I loved it?).

I did use the celery root and thougth it added a lot for the few carbs….the lime and cilantro is essential. Scallions in it also very good. Diced avocado put it over the top. So yummy.

MEXICAN CHICKEN SOUP

A low carb Mexican Inspired Chicken Soup recipe guaranteed to warm you no matter what the weather!

Mellissa Sevigny I BREATH I’M HUNGRY
    Yield: Eight 1.5 cup servings

INGREDIENTS

8 cups chicken broth (home made best, boxed is fine)
    1 cup celery root, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 Tbs ground cumin
    1 four ounce can chopped green chilis…or use some diced fresh jalapeño
    1/3 cup tomatillo salsa (salsa verde)
    1/2 tsp minced habanero….may wish to skip this if using jalapeño
    2 cups shredded or chopped cooked chicken

Optional: 2 Tbs frozen corn per serving

1/2 cup scallions, chopped
    1/2 cup cilantro, chopped

Squeeze of fresh lime juice
    Diced avocado

INSTRUCTIONS

Combine the chicken broth, celery root, garlic powder, onion powder, ground cumin, green chilis, tomatillo salsa, and habaneros in a large saucepan.

Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium and simmer for 10-15 minutes until celery root is tender.

Add the shredded chicken and corn if using and heat through.

Serve.

Add the cilantro and scallions to each bowl so that they are fresh and bright (don’t “cook” them).

Garnish with , lime juice, or more cilantro and scallions if desired (strongly recommend…not the same without them).

NOTES
    Approx. nutrition info per serving: 100 calories, 4g fat, 3g net carbs, 12g protein (not counting corn)

Note: could use zucchini instead of the celery root but would only need to cook it 5-7 min so as not to get to soggy.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I’m one of those people with the genetic predisposition to hate cilantro because it tastes like dishsoap to me, so that element is a hard no for me. I usually just substitute parsley, or toss in a tblsp of coriander cracked and bundled in cheesecloth. Coriander has the same citrusy note, and little wonder since it’s the seed from which cilantro grows, but without the nausea-inducing soap effect. Otherwise it looks splendid. (Subbing fennel stalk for the celery root, though. 😉 )

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I made duck livers for the first time tonight. Sauteed and browned in duck fat with a gravy made from pan drippings from when it was roasted Christmas Day, a splash of chicken stock and 1/8 tsp of guar gum. Oh, with a side of brussels sprouts steamed in the same stock just until they gave a little when you pressed them, then fried in more duck fat. All it took was 2 tsps of fat for both livers and sprouts. That stuff is magic. One of the best things I’ve ever had for practically zero effort.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Essie, isn’t if funny how peoples tastes vary. I have read on numerous occassions that some people taste cilantro differently, and you either love it or hate it. I love the stuff. On the other hand, I don’t seem to be able to taste saffron. All the fuss about it just goes over my head because I just can’t seem to taste the difference when I add it to dishes, so have given up on it (and given the expense, maybe its for the best).

Your duck livers sound intriguing. I have learned to love a lot of vegetables I hated as a child (brussel sprouts, broccoli and asparagus….a full 180 on all those, but the root problem was my mother cooked them all to death back in the day). The one food I have never learned to like is calf’s liver. But I was briefly converted to fried chicken livers in my mid 20s as a gal I worked with frequently ordered them for lunch from the local fried chicken place. She talked me into trying one and I was sold. Then I joyously got pregnant with my son….and the thought of them turned me green. Fried eggs over easy also lost their appeal for a while, but later returned. But I have never had another fried chicken liver in the last 40 some years. However, given the world’s enthusiasm for foie gras, your duck liver discovery might just be the thing that would temp me back to giving livers another shot. I adore duck breast and Peking Duck…..now have to add duck liver to the list. Thanks for sharing such wonderful idea.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Just stumbled onto a GOLD MINE of wonderful veggie sides that Melissa Sevigni did a “round up” lising of….all in one place. Some wonderful looking cauliflower dishes, but great stuff with broccoli, spinach, spaghetti squash, cabbage, etc….all low carb.

I have been using recipes from her site for a while but had never seen this collection. Had to share. Check out her soups as well.

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/150-best-keto-side-dish-recipes-low-carb/

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you for the link Luvtcook it’s amazing and I will definitely be trying some of the recipes.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

LTC, all I knew of liver when I was a kid was chicken liver pate’ and that classic nightmare of so many childhoods, liver and onions. I guess that was calf’s liver? I wasn’t paying attention back then. I came around on the pate’ by the time I was an adolescent, but never did on the liver and onions. That livery taste was so nasty to me.

It’s all about how it’s cooked, apparently. When I was looking up ways to cook duck liver, a lot of recipes underscored the importance of doing a quick sear on both sides just enough to put some color on them while keeping the insides pink and creamy. The fat has to be spitting hot and the ideal medium is cast iron. My cast iron needs reseasoning after getting beat up during our move, so I used the All Clad stainless and it worked fine.

The result was an absolutely beautiful texture and flavor. Almost sweet, believe it or not, and so tender you could cut it with the side of a fork. My recent forays into the world of organ meats have found that when properly prepared, they are consistently soft but never mushy, textured but never tough and a fine conveyance for sauces and gravies. It’s going to be an offal 2018 for me, you can count on it. 😀

• posted by alliecat
    on

LtC – I echo Verano’s sentiments here. What a magnificent collection of
    recipes! As you probably already know, I’ve kept it “simple” for the past
    18 months, but I’m genuinely excited by this website/link you have shared.
    I know what I’ll be doing this afternoon! Where have you been all my life???
    Groceries already ordered for friday, so I’ll have plenty of time to plan
    for the following week. You are a blue ribbon, 5 star addition to our
    community. I just can’t thank you enough 🙂 🙂 🙂 and 🙂 🙂 🙂

Allie

• posted by happyitsworking
    on

LTC-Thanks for getting back to me about the almond flour.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Essie: yep…..liver and onions was what did me in. Never able to swallow the stuff ….major drama at table. My wonderful mother was as good as they came….except for cooking. She overcooked everything including the liver. I consider myself an adventurous eater but have absultely no plans to revisit that stuff. Duck liver, yes (as long as the poor thing has not been forced fed). And really like steak and kidney pie thanks to my one and only visit to London. Happy with tripe etc etc etc. Too much PTSD for the liver and onions I am afraid.

To everyone else: so happy to share that link with you ….such amazing stuff. Will keep me busy for a LONG time. Hint: have tried the Faux tater tots with cauliflower some time ago….recommend a PASS on that one. Not worth the bother.

Allie: here is a link to low carb bagels if you ever find you want a go at those as a Saturday project. I have made the dinner roll version of the dough and it is pretty darn good.

https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/low-carb-bagels-recipe-fathead-dough/

• posted by Inka13
    on

Thanks LTC, this looks like a great site, will have a crack at some of these today!
    I really appreciate everyone who has been posting recipes here, it’s a huge help!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Some excellent sides on the site, LTC, thanks for posting the link.

On a whim, I decided I would do some braised celery this evening. Love cooked celery, but don’t often think to make it. Anyway, just put halved stalks of celery in an ovenproof dish, made a stock using a cube (I used a chicken one), some dried tarragon and a good squeeze of lime juice. Parcelled it all in foil and baked in the oven for about half an hour. Was full of flavour and I really enjoyed it as an additional veg dish with my pork chop and mixed veg.

• posted by Natalie
    on

SunnyB I forgot I like celery cooked in chicken stock! I think I used to do it more like a stir-fry after having something similar in a Chinese restaurant, it’s been a while. I’ll have to experiment.

I’m going to try making broccoli bread from this site and have it with my poached eggs tomorrow. I don’t miss bread but I want something to soak up the eggyness.

• posted by Verano
    on

That sounds lovely SunnyB. I have never used celery as a vegetable side! I use it in soups and stews but have never thought to use it any other way. I will definitely give it a try.

I made very thinly sliced chicken breasts last night. Just marinated in garlic, griddled and added a splash of soy just as they finished cooking. Really, easy, quick and tasty ….. just my sort of dish!

• posted by Verano
    on

Just needed to post … I have actually worked out how to make perfect cauli mash ….. it’s only taken me 18 months!

I have found mine has been ‘sloppy’. I think the secret, for me, is ultra fresh cauliflower, steam for just 25 mins, put in a hot oven to ‘dry out’ for 5 to 10 minutes then whizz with butter using a hand blender. Tonight’s was the best I’ve ever made much better than mashed potatoes, but the same consistency. Cracked it at last!

• posted by alliecat
    on

I might try your method for perfect cauli mash, V. Thanks!

The discussion here about braised celery reminded me of a not often
    remembered similar dish. I don’t love celery in any of it’s reincarnations,
    but I like to cook fennel by the same method, and finish it with fennel
    fronds and a quick grating of orange zest, to accompany a plate of fish
    and steamed spinach. Maybe some of you would find that interesting?

Let fly with the creativity, everyone!

Allie

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks for the tip on cauli mash V. Mine always tends to be a bit on the sloppy side, so will give your method a whirl – do you cut the florets quite small?

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi SunnyB no I just leave them much the size they are originally if that makes sense!

• posted by JackieM
    on

Ok my first post to this thread. Possibly my last as I tend to be a bit rubbish at combining food to make stuff, I just use it raw or fry it up.

Anywho, almond and seed crackers. I’ve put carb count next to each ingredient as it is really flexible so you can up or down each ingredient/substitute as you see fit. Also, was interested as have not done that yet (from MFP)

120g whole almonds (skin on) – 746cals 8.1g carbs
    35g seeds (I use 10g mixed seeds (59 cals, 0.9g carbs) 25g chia seeds 125 cals 8.3g carbs)
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (7 cals 1.3g carbs)
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
    Leaves from fresh rosemary
    150g or so hard cheese (Parmesan/pecorino/ – 646 cals 6.1g carbs)
    2 cloves garlic (assume 2tsp minced 10 cals, 2g carbs)
    2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or rape seed or sunflower (I used olive oil once was ok too) 234 cals 0 carbs for coconut oil
    1 tablespoon water to bind.

Ok so total is 1,828 cals and 27g carbs (I’ve used MFP to tell me that so haven’t double checked that it adds up to that above). But it makes a lot of biscuits. They last me about a week, if the kids don’t snaffle them, but I am in maintenance.

Blend/grind all ingredients except oil and water. (I have Thermomix – blitz on speed 10 til ground down)
    Add oil and water and mix (Thermonix speed 4 or 5)
    Empty out to parchment lined baking sheet, put another sheet of baking parchment on top and roll out thinly and evenly
    Score with a knife marking put little squares
    Put in oven 180degrees and bake 20/25 mins. May need longer depending on how moist mix is. If edges catch cover with parchment paper towards end.
    Remove from oven and transfer on paper to cooling rack.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Good looking vegetarian meal….must sub for ramen and breading on tofu but otherwise looks great. Perfect winter meal…..warm spices, steamy and creamy

Curry “Ramen” with Crispy Baked Tofu

★★★★

4 from 4 reviews

If you’re going to marinade the tofu (optional), you’ll want to add an extra hour to the prep time.

Author: Well Vegan
    Prep Time: 10 mins
    Cook Time: 40 mins
    Total Time: 50 minutes
    Yield: 4 servings

INGREDIENTS

Crispy Tofu

1 – 14-oz. package extra-firm tofu
    ¼ cup soy sauce
    ¼ cup coconut sugar…omit or use a few drops of stevia or monk fruit
    1 small lime, juiced
    ½ Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
    2 tbsp. vegetable or peanut oil
    1 Tbsp. panko….use low carb alternative such as mixture of ground golden flax and cheap parm cheese (out of the can)
    1 Tbsp. cornstarch…omit or sub low carb alternative such as ground chia which would absorb some of the dampness
    1 Tbsp. sesame seeds

Faux Ramen

2 package dried or equivalent fresh ramen noodles…..use shirataki faux noodles or spiralized daikon radish (which works VERY well)
    1 baby bok choy, quarted lengthwise
    1 generous handful broccoli, cut in small flourettes
    1/2 cup frozen corn….omit or at least cut in half
    2 tsp. curry paste (more or less to your liking)….sugar free
    4 Tbsp. coconut cream (more or less to your liking of creaminess to heat ratio)
    Soy sauce, to taste
    Note: you chili heads out there may want to add some extra heat….dash of cayenne, slices of Thai chilis (yes Ensecca, I am thinking of you)

INSTRUCTIONS

Press the tofu with several layers of paper towel to remove as much water as possible. Cut the tofu into ½-inch slabs and press with paper towels again. Alternatively, you can dice the tofu into 1-inch cubes.
    To prepare the marinade, first combine the soy sauce and coconut sugar in a small mixing bowl. Microwave in 15-second intervals, stirring in between, until the coconut sugar dissolves. This should take less than a minute. Add the lime juice and fresh ginger. Whisk to combine.
    Transfer the tofu to a shallow baking dish and pour in the marinade. Move the pieces around so each is completely coated. Cover and place in the fridge for at least an hours, flipping the pieces over and recovering with the marinade half way through.
    Preheat oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
    Remove the tofu from the marinade and press with paper towels to remove excess marinade.
    In a medium bowl add 2 tbsp. vegetable or peanut oil. Add tofu to the bowl and toss gently to coat.
    Add panko, cornstarch and sesame seeds to tofu. Toss gently until coated and pour out onto your prepared baking sheet.
    Bake tofu for 30-40 minutes, turning half way through.
    Bring water to a boil over medium heat. Cook your noodles according to package directions. Two minutes before ramen is done, add bok choy , broccoli and corn to the water. Cook until vegetables are just done and broccoli and bok choy are bright green.
    Remove noodles and vegetables from heat. Add curry paste, coconut cream and soy sauce to taste. Add baked tofu just before serving.

https://wellvegan.com/recipe/curry-ramen-with-crispy-baked-tofu

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Oat fiber makes a good sub for cornstarch in dredges. It has the same very fluffy, finely powdered texture and is all insoluble fiber so zero net carbs. (This is not the same as oats blitzed up in a blender, btw. It’s its own thing.) I would ditch the panko all together. The dredge will be more than sufficient to put a nice crust on the tofu. You don’t even need to do any of the dredging/breading, in fact. Extra-firm tofu, pressed and marinated, slices up and sears in a pan beautifully. Crisp out the outside, soft on the inside, zero effort. I’d rub a spice mix — ginger, garlic, salt, pepper — into it and call it a day.

Corn can be replaced by baby corn which is far lower in sugar and carbs than mature kernels because you’re eating the whole fibrous cob. As a happy coincidence, they also fit the Asian food style better than kernel corn. Cool recipe, LTC. Definitely going to try it to keep me warm and toasty during the Big Chill.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Last night I blazed through half of a FutureLearn class on Tudor feasting and quickly became obsessed with adapting period recipes to the BSD. I had an idea that may be mad genius or just plain mad and I’d love to hear what y’all think of it.

The dish is Mortreus de Chare (http://www.godecookery.com/mtrans/mtrans17.htm ), a sort of savory pudding/polenta thing made of ground pork, stock, flat ale and thickened with bread crumbs. The bread crumbs I’ve got (stale lupin cornbread muffins have a perfect crumb for this sort of job, just like real corn muffins do), the pork will be sausage because I can’t bring myself to boil, chop and mash a roast, but what to do for the ale? First I considered a combination of lemon juice, Worcestershire, smoked salt and turmeric juice based in an attempt to capture the more bitter/citrussy notes of hops and roasted barley in the ale. No idea if it would work, though. It could just be weird and discordant, and it barely has any liquid at all so the chemistry of the cook could be off.

Then the lightning bolt hit. What if I made tea out of cacao nibs and used that to replace the ale? It’s naturally bitter, rich in flavor and comes out of the boil tasting vaguely reminscent of a flat stout. I’m also thinking of mole which uses chocolate’s richness to such fantastic effect. The only downside is I would not be able to eat those nibs once boiled and I can never get enough of those crunchy little nuggets of chocolatey goodness. Hmm… Maybe I could figure out a way to use them. Something to consider.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

I think the cocoa nibs tea is brilliant….you are so right that it would give you the dark bitter edge.

As for using them later….all depends what is left after brewing (do they disinegrate into nothingness) and if something is left….what does it taste like? I not much, then can use them for the fiber benefits in just about anything you want.

But lupin cornbread muffins are new for me….what are they? Do you have a link to a recipe for them? You have peaked my interest. Never even heard of using lupin in cooking. You amaze me with the diversity of stuff you know about. Hats off to ye.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Allie, the baked fennel with orange zest sounds great….something more interesting with fish than the same ole same ole I have gotten into a rut with.

I am on a jag with Spanish mackerel right now….love the stuff and its so good for you. It is now on a rotating with salmon with a very infrequent tuna steak now and then. And some sea bass.

Really miss orange roughy, which is too vulnerable for commercial fishing. Boo hoo.

Red snapper just too pricy and rarely seen in my fish market really fresh (plus investigations have found it is highly highly being substituted with less quality snapper and sold at the higher price falsely labbled as red snapper).

Bored by tilapia unless really jazzed up.

I grab up skate when I can find it. Need to give monkfish another go as I recently saw it at my Korean market looking much nicer than at our big upscale grocer.

Do rockfish and grouper once in a while but you need to buy them whole….which is a stretch for one person.

Any other favorites out there that I am missing out on? I love fish and am only limited by my laziness in needing to go to the market to buy it fresh the same day I want to have it.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I tried making the broccoli bread. I think I used a too-big pan as it ended up thin and rather dry even with a runny egg on top. I don’t think I’ll be eating it but I will try making a half batch with the almond meal I have left, but thicker. Or is thick more like a little broccoli quiche?

• posted by Esnecca
    on

The nibs do not disintegrate. They barely soften, truth be told. They just lose that chip-like crunch but are still plenty toothsome. There’s even some flavor left after a 10-minute boil; just a lot less of it. I like the idea of using them as a fiber source. I could easily pop them in my dehydrator and dry them right back out to keep them shelf-stable. Then all I’d have to do is grind them to make a powdered fiber supplement.

Oh man, lupin cornbread muffins are one of the greatest of all bread replacements. Lupin flour comes from the lupini bean, not the fuzzy colorful flower. Because lupins are basically poison as picked, they need to be soaked for two days to be made digestible which is why the beans themselves can be hard to track down, and the flour even more so. Online is your best option. I get it from Netrition (https://www2.netrition.com/lopino_lupin_flour.html ). Check out the nutritional panel. Is that not a thing of beauty?

Here is the original recipe I found for lupin cornbread muffins: https://buttoni.wordpress.com/2013/05/17/lupin-flour-corn-muffins/ . (A ton of great low carb recipes on that blog, btw, including some phenomenal baked goods. You should definitely have a browse.) I probably don’t even have to say this, but I modified it a little (okay, a medium amount). I don’t like coconut flour in savory recipes, so I replace 1 Tblsp with oat fiber and the other Tblsp with ground psyllium husk. I also throw in a Tblsp of nutritional yeast ground to a powder. It injects a small additional hint of breadlikeness that I appreciate even when nobody else notices. I add one minced jalapeno, 1 minced green onion (16 grams or so), 1 tsp garlic powder and use two cheeses, 3/4 cup extra-sharp cheddar, 1/4 cup microplaned Parmegiano Reggiano (not the can kind; the fluffy texture and sharp, aged real stuff is necessary). I also replace two Tblsp of the olive oil with my homemade tofu mayo, although I bet drained silken tofu alone would work a treat as long as you blend it up until it’s creamy. Last but never, ever least, I add salt, 1/2 tsp Applewood smoked. Unforgiveable oversight that it wasn’t in the original.

The lupin flour is quite a happy yellow, so it works on every level to look like real conbread. When you make other kinds of breads with it that yellow tint can be a little jarring to people who are pining for Wonder Bread or whatever. I can’t imagine giving a rat’s ass, but takes all kinds, I suppose. It’s a little dry and there is a legumey flavor to it, so you do have to make a blend with other subs to get the breadiness you’re looking for. It is truly a blast to work with and I can’t wait for you to try it. 🙂

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Esnecca, I have been using Netrition for about 5 years and am very familiar with Buttoni as she was one of the very earliest of the low carb food writers ( I still have a largely unused 5 lbs of einkorn ancient wheat flour per her experiments using that after the Gary Taube, Davis and others suggested the changes in modern wheat were potentially responsible for the obesity explosion in the late 90s). But I apparently overlooked the lupin flour recipe (too distracted by all her dumpling and noodle recipes for chicken and dumplings…..a old weakness of time ).

I have added regular baking yeast into low carb flourerless recipes solely for the aroma (found a great low carb Belgian waffle recipe that was my Sunday brunch celebration recipe for a while and wanted the aroma of yeast in it as well) but I have never used the nutritional yeast.

Also don’t have smoked salt on hand, but a pinch of pimenton smoked paprika should add a similar smokey tone and compatible with the cornbread, jalapeño and onion theme.

I agree with you about the coconut flour. I’m not nuts about it but use it in some recipes where it is a minor ingredient and when the flavor is dominated by say ground golden flax, which I like a lot. I guess part of it is that I tend to like substance over fluff and coconut flour is all about the fluff. And just so ya know…the ONLY thing I use canned parm for is coating and cauli mash (where it soaks up some of the excess moisture). Regiano all the way otherwise. Love just nibbling on a shaving of that fine stuff. It and aged gouda….love the salt/mineral crystals in the good stuff.

Lastly, I am SHOCKED…..so shocked….to hear that you modified a recipe. Noooooo. Can’t be.

Will have to try the lupin cornbread….my prior attempts were mosly coconut flour and a big disappointment. Now that we are in chili season a good piece of faux cornbread sounds perfect.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

SPICY BEEF AND CUCUMBERS WITH BLACK VINEGAR a wonderful stir fry

From Bon Appetit https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/spicy-beef-and-cucumbers-with-black-vinegar

Cooked cucumbers are terrific in stir fries and the slight bashing allows them to absorb the flavors from the sauce. The herbs on the top at the end are critical….add the freshness the recipe needs.

4 servings

INGREDIENTS

1 medium English hothouse cucumber or 3 kirby cucumbers (about 12 ounces total)
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 pound ground beef
    Kosher salt
    4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    2 red chiles, finely chopped
    1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
    2 tablespoons black (Chinkiang) vinegar, or 1 tsp other vinegar
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 teaspoon sugar…use sugar substitute
    Freshly ground black pepper

Steamed rice, cooked ramen, or chopped romaine (for serving)…for low carb can use cauli rice, shiritaki noodels or spiralized daikon radish “noodles”

1½ cups tender herbs (such as mint, basil, and/or cilantro)

Lime wedges (for serving)

RECIPE PREPARATION

Cut cucumbers crosswise into 4″-thick pieces. Using a rolling pin, meat mallet, or the flat side of a chef’s knife, lightly crush cucumbers, then slice crosswise into ½”-thick slices; set aside.

Heat oil in a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over high.

Add beef and a pinch of salt; break up meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon then spread out in pan to create a single layer. Cook, undisturbed, until bottom side is browned and crisp, about 5 minutes. Break up meat with a spatula and turn over pieces. Cook until other side is browned and crisp and meat is cooked through, 5–7 minutes.

Push meat to one side of pan and add garlic and chiles. Cook, stirring often, until fragrant and softened, about 2 minutes. Mix garlic and chile into meat.

Add shallot and reserved cucumbers and cook, tossing occasionally and scraping up any browned bits, until cucumbers are softened and translucent, about 4 minutes.

Remove skillet from heat and stir in vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar.

Set skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring, until sauce is reduced slightly, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Spoon beef and cucumbers over rice and top with herbs.

Serve with lime wedges for squeezing over.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

That beef dish sound yummy LTC. Will definitely be giving that a whirl at some point. Thanks for posting it.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Simple Veg Quiche with Kabocha Squash “Crust”

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/simple-quiche-with-a-sweet-potato-crust

3 RATINGS 4.67 out of 5

8 servings

The Topanga Living Cafe in Topanga, CA, inspired this gluten-free quiche that uses caramelized sweet potato or kabocha squash instead of dough.

INGREDIENTS

5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for pan
    1½ pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 small), peeled, cut into ½-inch or smaller pieces, OR can use kabocha squash for lower carbs
    Kosher salt
    1 large onion, thinly sliced
    1 small bunch curly kale, stems removed, torn into bite-size pieces
    12 large eggs
    4 ounces / 115 gm sharp cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
    1 cup whole-milk Greek yogurt
    Freshly ground black pepper

A 9-inch springform pan

RECIPE PREPARATION

Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium. Add sweet potatoes or kabocha, season with salt, and cook, tossing occasionally, until well browned around the edges and just slightly undercooked, 10–12 minutes. Transfer potatoes/kabocha to springform pan and let cool; reserve skillet.

Lightly coat sides of pan with oil. Flatten potatoes/squash slightly with the back of a spoon, packing into the seam where 2 parts of springform pan meet.

Preheat oven to 300°.F or 150°C

Heat remaining 3 Tbsp. oil in reserved skillet over medium. Cook onion, tossing occasionally, until softened but not browned, 8–10 minutes. Add kale a handful at a time and cook, stirring, until just softened but not limp, 5–6 minutes. Season with salt. Let cool slightly.

Whisk eggs, cheese, and yogurt in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper. Set springform pan on a parchment- or foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Top “crust” with half of kale and onions, then pour in egg mixture. Gently press remaining kale and onions into surface of egg mixture.

Bake quiche until edges have puffed up slightly and top is just set with no liquid egg remaining, 55–75 minutes. Let cool before slicing.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

CAULIFLOWER SOUP WITH HAZELNUTS AND BACON

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/cauliflower-soup-with-hazelnuts-and-bacon

6 servings

Creamy puréed soups always benefit from having crunchy things sprinkled on top. This recipe is from Waterfront Wines, in Kelowna, British Columbia.

INGREDIENTS

½ cup blanched hazelnuts
    1 medium head of cauliflower (about 2 pounds), cut into small florets
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
    Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
    4 slices thick-cut bacon (about 4 ounces)
    1 small fennel bulb, chopped
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 garlic clove, finely chopped
    ⅓ cup dry white wine/vermouth or water
    6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    ¾ cup heavy cream
    2 bay leaves

RECIPE PREPARATION

Preheat oven to 350°.

Toast hazelnuts on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing occasionally, until golden brown, 10–12 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely chop.

While the nuts are cooling, increase oven to 400°. Toss cauliflower and 2 Tbsp. oil on another baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Roast, tossing once, until florets are browned all over and tender, 30–35 minutes.

Meanwhile, cut bacon crosswise into ½” pieces. Heat a heavy pot over medium and cook bacon, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, 10–12 minutes. Transfer to paper towels.

Cook fennel, onion, and garlic in drippings in pot, stirring occasionally, until onion and fennel are very soft, 8–10 minutes. Add wine and cook until mostly evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add roasted cauliflower, broth, cream, and bay leaves; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until cauliflower is very tender, 20–25
    minutes. Pluck out bay leaves; discard. Let mixture cool slightly.

Working in batches, purée cauliflower mixture until very smooth. Strain back into pot; season with salt and pepper.

Just before serving, ladle soup into bowls; top with bacon and nuts and drizzle with oil.

Do Ahead: Soup can be made 3 days ahead. Let cool; cover and chill soup and bacon separately.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

As an easy Friday night meal after a hard week I would often make nachos in the past. I haven’t done it since starting BSD obviously, but was finding I was missing the ritual and the flavours. So this week, I made cauliflower nachos:
    http://pulses.org/nap/recipe/one-pan-cauliflower-nachos/
    I followed the instructions for the cauliflower almost exactly, but added a bit of nutritional yeast as well. Then I did my usual toppings (refried beans, salsa, avocado, cheddar cheese and olives) instead of the ones in the recipe, but using less refried beans and salsa than I would have previously; just enough to give it the flavour of those items.
    It was a delicious and satisfying meal. I will definitely make it again.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Black soybeans work great as a replacement for regular high-carb beans. They’re extremely high in fiber so the net carbs are tiny and they are adept at absorbing the flavors of everything around them. I’ve used them as the refried bean element in taco salads many times. The might be difficult for you to find where you are, arcticfox. Eden Foods sells cans of them in the US and UK and you can order them online as well.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, everyone!
    Essie, it’s time for our monthly trip to Whole Foods. The website says that
    they sell these black soybeans, canned. Have you ever seen them? If
    not, I’ll get them online…It’s been so shockingly frigid around here that I’m
    ready for some low carb chili! I’ve got dried anchos and guajillos in the
    pantry, so I’m ready to roll. Are you still interested in my Sicilian Fish stew?
    Just remembered that I forgot to put it up for you!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Unfortunately I have an anaphylatic reaction to soy protein, Esnecca, so I won’t be able to try your suggestion of black soybeans. Great suggestion for others to try though!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

I have a couple of egg-based recipes that I really like and have made in the past that are BSD friendly except for the addition of 1/4 cup of white flour. One is an asparagus crustless quiche, and the other is a fluffy Finnish pancake. I have tried making them simply by omitting the flour, but they just don’t have the same fluffy texture. Do any of you kitchen geniuses and recipe substitution gurus have any suggestions about what I could use to make them fluffy? I’ve thought of coconut flour which might work for the pancake, but I don’t really fancy using it for a more savory dish like the quiche. Would almond flour work?

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Articfox: this may send you reeling…..but a good alternative to corn chips are pork rinds….esp the BBQ ones. The brands differ in texture so you may have to try a couple to find ones the suit you, but they are great dippers for queso and guacamole. Sounds nuts but true.

Allie, re black soy beans….they cost a fortune by the can ($4 the last time I got them from Whole Foods). I did that for a while now just buy a bag of dried organic ones from Amazon and cook them myself. They take a while to cook as they are a bit tougher than other beans, but it is easier if you happen to have a pressure cooker or instapot. Just soak them in some salt water overnight to hydrate them before rinsing and cooking.

Esnecca, I have a question for you that you may or may not have had experience with. I took your advise and ordered some of the oat konjac noodles. My choise was $4 a bag plus $6 shipping at Netrition, or just going for it and getting a box of 2 doz from Amazon for $36. Did the latter.

The first bag I tried was as expected…..very shirataki like but plumper with a bit more texture (got the fettuccini ones). But the next bag was awful….the noodles where all shriveled up and thin and tough almost like dense parchment paper. Same with bag #2 and #3. I am currently soaking half of bag #3 in water with baking soda on the off chance that little trick might work with them as well (not looking good so far) and have the other half steeping in boiling water. The bag says not to freeze them, and I wondered if they might have gotten frozen in transit (given the lovely weather we are having on the East Coast)….but I would have thought that would have affected the first bag as well (although it may have been in the middle of the case and protected). They were double boxed. I thought I’d check with you to see if you had any ideas….but then will contact Amazon and arrange to send them back I guess. Very disappointing. I will try again with them in nicer weather with Netrition and see how that goes. Bummer to have 24 (correction 23) useless bags of ruined konjac noodles. Some others in the shippment may be fine but I am not going to open the remaining 21 to find out. Has this ever happened to you?

• posted by Inka13
    on

Luvtocook, at the risk of being repetitive, (on another thread) thanks again for another recipe!! Just tried your chia porridge recipe, had been avoiding chia seeds as I thought they’d be bland but boy was it good! Had no flaxseed so just did chia seeds then added a dash of cream and the smallest dot of maple syrup, only had the highly artificial one, not the real stuff but luckily the taste is so concentrated you only need literally a drop! I can see this is going to be my new breakfast obsession.
    Sorry to hear about the noodles being ruined, almost sounds like a bad batch! Very disappointing but am interested in trying these too so might see if my local health food shop has them.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Articfox, the quiche should be fine without any flour if you have enough egg yolk.

Here is the link for Bon Appetit’s “Best Quiche”, and it has no flour in the filling, just eggs and cheese (may need more cheese since you want it crustless).

Below that is a good blogger who has a crustless quiche listed….spinach, bacon and onion. Just change the veg to asparagus.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/bas-best-quiche-lorraine

https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/spinach-bacon-onion-crustless-quiche/

For the Finnish Pancake, see if this might do it for you: its a golden flax based pancake with just a little bit of coconut flour in it for fluff. Skip the chopped walnuts, and sub another oil for the walnut oil for a more neutral taste.

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/walnut-flax-pancakes-low-carb-and-gluten-free/

This is also a good one….just need to skip the lemon and sub another flavor that suits you. I cut it down and make it for one in an 8 inch skillet, start on the stove top and finish it in the oven….so I know it does a nice fluffy skillet pancake.

https://asweetlife.org/lemon-ricotta-pancakes/

Hope some of these help. Good luck!

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Inka, so glad you like to porridge. Please do get youself some golden flax seed thought…it is SO versitile and you will end up using it (unlike a lot of very out there low carb ingredients that get used once and then sit on the self forever). The flax seed gives it a bit more of an “oatmeal” taste as it is toasty etc. I love the stuff and it warn and comforting, and so darn easy. I find myself now adding even more boiling water…up to 1/2 cup as it can take it (all depends how dense you want a porridge).

• posted by Inka13
    on

I have just added it to my shopping list, Luvtocook! Would really enjoy that oatmeal flavour. I’ve also been exploring the Buttoni website and saw it in heaps of recipes there so will do some experimenting this week! To me one of the most incredible things about this way of eating is how much amazing food is out there once you embrace all those ingredients you were previously scared of! I feel like there is a whole universe of taste out there to discover!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Thanks LTC! I just came back from the local supermarket and they are having egg supply issues and were completely out of dozen or 1/2 dozen cartons, but I managed to get one of the few 1.5 dozen cartons remaining, so I’ll probably be making both a quiche and a pancake this week!

Please log in or register to post a reply.