Going straight to 5:2 BSD

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sambascuba
    on

Hello, I’m planning to start the 5:2 BSD without the 8 week fast and wondered if others had done this too, and what results they saw? I’m not diabetic, but need to lose about 4-5% of my body weight and find a healthy diet I can maintain (I.e. eventually moving to daily Mediterranean diet). Any tips or experiences? Thanks!

• posted by crabbycams
    on

Hi Sambascuba (great name)
    A few years ago I started doing 6:1 at 600 cals for the low cal day and two gym visits a week. I steadily lost about 1kg a week. Mind you, there was (and still is) plenty to lose, particularly fat.

I think the best thing about the 8 week fast diet is how it is training me to be mindful about my food intake, portion control and switching to the more Med diet focus. I’m finding out what my body wants/needs/craves, when it does and why. It is putting me back in control.

I’m sure that whatever you do will have health benefits. Remember to stay hydrated, be aware of what you are putting in your mouth (and when and why) and some fitness, which MM says helps to keep weight off. Just be aware that weight can be a fickle measure, because muscle weighs more than fat. It is possible to be overweight and very fit.

All the best

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I started on 5:2 and moved in steps (4:3, 2:5) to a full 8 weeks fast after ‘practicing’ my 800 fast days first for a while, but I also had a lot to lose. I love that this way of eating is so flexible. I am now using a modified form of 6:1 for maintenance, having got to my target weight in February.

• posted by Sambascuba
    on

Thanks for both your replies, and congrats on the weight loss!

Crabbycams I know what you mean about weight being a fickle measure. I’m only 3kg heavier then I was 5 years ago (before having kids), but I’m a lot bigger and fatter. 5 years ago I had the time to be a gym bunny and had a lot of muscle, so was a lot thinner but not much lighter. I doubt I’ll get back to that shape as I no longer have the luxury of so much free time, but losing the fat would be a good start. I’m reasonably active, but 40 this year and finding I cannot lose the weight so easily now. Similarly, my husband has always been ‘overweight’, but is actually pretty trim and mainly muscle. He’s being doing the ‘old’ 5:2 but I like the sound of the BSD 5:2 as it’s more flexible.

Thanks for both your tips, fingers crossed I can stick to it and change my eating habits!

• posted by LisaWA
    on

I am also starting the 5:2 BSD, I started the original 5:2 diet a few weeks ago, although I found I was not careful enough on the other days with no real guide of what to eat on those 5 days, so I started researching the BSD. I am not sure I can do 800 cals every day for 8 weeks yet, so will start on 5:2 BSD and if I find it easy I may add an extra fast day in see how I go. I have 17lb I would like to loose but really focusing on health rather than weight loss.

• posted by Sambascuba
    on

I started the 5:2 BSD about a month ago and I’ve already lost 3kg (7lb). I have found 800kcal easy to achieve twice a week and have been pretty strict about no carbs (apart from porridge) on the other days. I did give myself a couple of days off when a friend visited from abroad and wanted to try cream teas and Victoria sponge, but apart from those treats I have stuck with it!

My husband does the old 5:2 diet and I definitely would struggle on that. For me, cutting out carbs has immediately reduced my sugar cravings and bloating – I think at least 1-2kg of my weight loss has been due to eating less (I over ate when including carbs in my diet) and less water retention. I definitely feel healthier and that this is a way of eating I can stick to in the long term.

Good luck with your diet!

• posted by Traveling Rose
    on

Hello, I’m starting today and look forward to hearing others’ experience. About 10-15lbs to lose. The 5:2 seems like a manageable starting point!

• posted by AngS
    on

Hi, all. I’m just coming to the end of the 8-Week BSD. I thought it would be really difficult to only have 800calories, but it really wasn’t. The recipes are all set out in the book and are so tasty. I don’t want to go back to “normal”eating, so am looking to do the 5:2 diet, starting on Monday. It helped me lose a couple of pounds a week when I did it before, so am hoping to maintain my new weight when I do it again. Good luck everyone. These forums are so great and supportive. Go for it!

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Congratulations AngS and best of luck on the 5:2…you will be missed. Come visit some time and let us know how you are doing.

LTC

• posted by AngS
    on

Thanks, LTC. I finish my 8 week BSD tomorrow. It is frustrating that I have to wait until the end of January before my doctor wants me to do another HbA1c blood test, but it makes sense, I guess, as it shows an average over 3 months… With Christmas in between it could be interesting.

One thing I’ve noticed since doing the diet, in the past few weeks I started getting heavy, weak legs as soon as I started walking down the road, then I started getting achey pains in my upper back. I looked it up on the internet and saw it could be a problem side-effect with the Metformin. As soon as I stopped taking it, the pains and muscle weakness disappeared. I took one again this morning and the pains came back a couple of hours later. I guess if I don’t need it any more, that’s why. My body doesn’t like it any more. So, I’ve decided not to take my Metformin any more until I have spoken to my GP.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

AngS…..probably not wise to discontinue, but frankly I would have done the same thing. Strong stubborn streak in me thinking my body is my own to do with as I see fit (within reason). Are you monitoring your blood sugars at home to make sure they are staying reasonably low? In the US you don’t need a Rx for blood glucose testers, so may not be a bad idea.

Please check back with us and let us know how things turned out. I am expecting brilliant news….so please share. Maybe with Xmas in between that will be added incentive to keep on the (relatively) staight and narrow. As they say, if you can do XXX (fill in Xmas) you can do anything.

• posted by AngS
    on

Luvtcook, I was on the minimum dose of Metformin anyway, so am hoping all is well with my blood sugar. I am maintaining my weight loss so far with the 5:2. I’m enjoying eating normally again for 5 days a week and having the odd glass of red wine again, but will be much more careful than before. We really enjoyed the new eating plan on the BSD, so are still using those recipes most of the time.

Please log in or register to post a reply.