Given up sugar in coffee and tea!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Only a very little thing, but I’ve written before that starting this way of eating has given me so much more feeling of control.

I love my coffee in the morning, and have three cups of home made strong coffee, dash of milk, and usually 1.5/2 spoons of sugar. I tried aspartame at one point, but having read about it a bit more, switched back to sugar. Really started my day off well, looked forward to it every morning as a treat.

So starting this diet, I thought I would get a grip on myself and give up the sugar. I tried many many years ago and basically stopped drinking tea and coffee because I really disliked the taste of the sugar-free versions.

So this time I have concentrated on making the coffee each morning as usual (or buying one if travelling for work) and having it sugar free….

Now three weeks since giving up, and I am noticing that my taste buds are starting to recover a bit and instead of simply noticing the lack of sugar, I am starting to notice the flavour of the coffee!

Someone told me that it takes about 30 days for the sugar habit to die away, and the pleasure of the new taste to become a habit, so a few days still to go. But very illuminating from various points of view

– how much we get addicted to added
    sugar….say 8 teaspoons a day in various drinks is 15 cals per teaspoon = 120 cals day/840 week
    – I can have a fillet of poached salmon (amongst many other things) daily for the same calories, and rather better nutrition
    – feeling of control coming from knowing what best to eat, keeping an eye on it, and understanding that it will eventually have an effect,
    and BEING ABLE TO GIVE UP SUGAR WHEN IT EVIDENTLY HAD CONTROL OVER ME!

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Igorasusual
    Controlling sugar addiction is no ‘ little thing ‘ at all! You have regained the power of choice. You are getting the knowledge 👍 Very well done. Keep on keeping on 😀

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Igorasusual and Eureka

Well done Igorasusual😃

I’m really fortunate that I was forced to give up sugar at age 11 – when I was put on my first diet😱 The only alternative at the time was saccharine, which was truly disgusting. So I started to drink tea without either, just milk.

Eventually I moved to drinking coffee with milk and, in recent years frequented various coffee shops for lattes.

Now my coffee is drunk black, which some thing is very strange😳 It’s funny when I’m in Italy – they think it really odd that this crazy English woman drinks espresso without sugar! I was in a coffee shop yesterday and made that comment, when he told me where the sugar was, and the answer came back that he couldn’t drink an espresso without about 6 spoons of sugar!😱

But I taste the coffee, not the sugar 😃

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Thank you, Eureka and captainlynne, for your support!

• posted by Cicipops
    on

I am really struggling to drink my coffee without sugar, but have reduced it to half a teaspoon. The trouble is, I can easily drink 5 or 6 mugs a day which equates to 3 tsps. So, today I have been drinking ice-cold flavoured tea. (I find they taste better cold). Hoping this little change makes a difference.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi everyone,
    I’m hoping this information will help people reading this that want to stop adding sugar to tea/coffee. In October 2013 I made the decision to stop using sugar or sweeteners in my coffee (I’d rarely added it to tea). It took me 6 weeks to enjoy drinking coffee again. It was worth the effort as I’ve never gone back to added sugar in beverages.
    …a word of warning on some flavored teas – I recently purchased a peach/mango variety of black tea bags (didn’t check the ingredients)and got home to see that sucrose is among the ingredients……best to check them in the store prior to purchase.
    Best wishes on your BSD journeys.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Thanks, Switzerland – that’s interesting, so your experience was 42 days. I’m now on day 21, and it’s interesting to see my hand go instinctively for the sugar bowl as routine before retreating every morning. I will let you know if it takes me 30 days, or your 42! Whichever it takes, I won’t go back to the sugar now……hooray!

• posted by thepolly
    on

I gave up sugar in tea and coffee years ago and the really cool thing (i’ve found at least) is that if you make a cup for someone else who takes sugar and then sip the wrong one, the sugary one tastes absolutely vile! Well done on giving it up, Igorasusual,
    Polly

• posted by Natalie
    on

I took me a while but I think I’m finally there. I used to have 1 tsp of sugar in my tea, tried no sugar and would rather just no drink tea at all, tried stevia, back to sugar, reduced to half a tsp, none, up, down, a third of a tsp, none… Months of back and forth. But finally I almost enjoy it without sugar! Even though I’m eating carbs for a few days for a blood test, I haven’t gone back to sweet tea.

Please log in or register to post a reply.