Getting some NHS support for your diet?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Steve and Ei
    on

I have had reports from two people, now, that their NHS diabetic nurse has warned them off this diet. They were given the usual script about low fat, 1/3 plate carbs etc.- “this diet will harm you in the long run”.
    Personally I’m pretty thrilled with the diet so far. Continual (carb addiction?) hunger gone, energy up, mood better, BG down.

Now, I’ve got an HbA1c coming up next month. I’m already a stone lighter than last time, and my fasting BG has been around the low 4s, as opposed to 6-7. I’m assuming the BG results will be good. Not sure what I’m expecting the cholesterol to do, but the hope is for down, as I’m pretty convinced the fat-cholesterol connection is a mistake.
    But do you tell her what you’ve been doing? Is it easier to keep schtum, and let them take the credit, and avoid arguments? It would be nice to have some NHS back up on this. Get them on board. You’d think they’d be interested to have some guinea pigs.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

My nurse fully supports the diet. TBH the guys who came up with this are far more experienced than your nurse and have been involved in the actual research from the start.
    This diet isn’t faddy, it’s common sense really, and it works.
    Tell her to ring professor Taylor at Newcastle university if she has reservations.

• posted by Steve and Ei
    on

You are a lucky man, then. Most health professionals I have met are working from a (out of date?) script. I asked about Newcastle, and diet, and did they want volunteers to try something different, a year ago, and was told “that is only for fat people”.
    At DESMOND I queried the “must eat carbs”, and asked for a view on low carbing as an alternative way out, and was told that “it would put your cholesterol up, wouldn’t it. Better to raise your glucose levels and then take drugs”.

• posted by woobear45
    on

I am a practice nurse in a GP surgery and was pre diabetic. I have recommended this diet to several of my type 2s 🙂

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Steve and Ei
    I went to see the nurse last week and told her I was starting this. She said she hoped it would work and told me to watch the blood sugar and, if my levels were getting constantly low, to reduce my medication.
    It just goes to show how opinions can differ. I suppose I’m lucky as my surgery has a doctor and a nurse who are experienced in diabetic care. I was offfered DESMOND but declined.

• posted by Aliba
    on

Well nothing recommended worked for me until I started this. The NHS is using our money to pay for our care and I’ve cost them ( and therefore everyone else) a fortune in drugs and appointments since diagnosis so could save them a fortune now and in the future if I finally take care of my own health.
    Unfortunately it takes a while for the powers that be to catch up….not their fault but they need tons of research etc.
    Luckily we don’t.
    I’ve felt really ropey, particularly this past year and truly have never felt so well since starting this eating plan. Given the vile complications of diabetes I’m happy to risk it for a biscuit😇.I don’t even crave them anymore,
    So it’s a win for me and a win for the NHS.

• posted by Reversed t2d
    on

I attended the DESMOND course & found it totally useless regarding self help
    and diet & in a room of 15 people I was the only person
    not on medication !
    My GP was very insistent that medication was a must in my case but I declined -I attended the DESMOND course thinking it would be more encouraging about changing eating habits & lifestyle
    Little or no advice on healthy diet & reversing diabetes was mentioned & attitude to it dismissive ” medication was the only way forward ” seemed to be the opinion!
    I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes in June & had reversed it by August by changing my diet and losing 22 lbs.
    I have lost further weight & continue to eat & fast and feel much healthier .
    Incidentally I just heard of Michael Mosely after I reversed t2d but I can assure you ,exercise change of lifestyle& fasting combined DOES REVERSE TYPE 2DIABETES .

• posted by Steve and Ei
    on

Yes, DESMOND was one of the most depressing days of my life, so far. Our host finished with – ” Diabetes is like pregnancy, you can’t be a little bit diabetic. It’s incurable, you can only get worse, but if you follow our diet, and take your medication, you can slow the decline. First you will cope with diet, then you will require medication, and finally insulin. This is the only way to avoid complications.”
    I resolved then to take other action if that proved to be the case.

• posted by Floraellen
    on

Sorry for my ignorance but can someone tell me what rhe DESMOND course is.

• posted by Floraellen
    on

As l wrote before my GP wouldn’t give me the time of day when l mentioned what l would like to try. I am having bloods done next week and then a week later seeing my diabetic nurse. I haven’t started the diet properly yet just testing the ground and getting my menus sorted out as l want to give it a real go. These last 10 days l have lost 8 lbs and fasting bg between 7and 8.
    l will have to see what she has to say hopefully she will be able to support me as l really would like to get off some if not all of this medication

• posted by Steve and Ei
    on

Floraellen- Diabetes Education and Self Management for Ongoing and Diagnosed. A course you may get sent on by your diabetic nurse/GP.

• posted by nettyrim
    on

I mentioned the diet to a diabetes consultant who hadn’t heard of it. I thought that was a bit poor especially as diabetes UK are carrying out research into it. He did say he would get the book and told me to go ahead and try it.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

My diabetes nurse is fully supportive of me being on this. It helped that her friend was following The Fast Diet, so she was familiar with Dr Mosley, and Prof Taylor. She’s seeing me monthly to check my progress, and in case my blood pressure meds need reducing or stopping. I’m not on diabetes meds and didn’t want to be put on them. Tomorrow I will have been on this plan for 7 weeks. I have lost 24 pounds, and a good dress size. Fasting Bg at start was 10.9, now it is normally in the 5s with the occasional 6 – working to get it lower, but happy with the improvement because I always struggled to get it under 7 previously.

• posted by Steve and Ei
    on

nettyrim – I’m not surprised by that. I find nothing I bring up from my reading, or watching TV programmes, is known about by any health professionals I meet. All met with amazement, then just get steered back to NHS basics. My wife mentioned the diet to a GP who had never heard of it, or Michael Mosley, or “Trust Me I’m a Doctor”. She was impressed by the results, so far, though.
    captainlynne – A, randomly allocated, GP wanted to put me on metformin when I’d only been judged “pre-diabetic”, but had to defer to the practice nurse, fortunately.
    I see a diabetic nurse once a year!

Please log in or register to post a reply.