Getting SERIOUS in September … beginning 30th August

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wendy is a bit busy with guests, so has asked me to set us up with a new thread for the coming week.

As this will bring us into September, I’ve adjusted the title for the weekly thread, in line with Wendy’s suggesting …. hope that is okay with our weekly followers.

From posts over the last week, I know there are a number who have been struggling, but doing what they can. Hopefully some of them are feeling more in control now, but if things are still shakey, just do what you can … and trust things will eventually fall in to place again, so don’t stress.

On a personal note, I can report that I am still doing a weekly extended fast and having some success with this approach, but am still not at target. There are still three weeks for me to get there, so am hopeful of being at goal before our next trip.

Anyway, whatever your situation, please join us here to share your ups and downs, problems and successes. Here’s to a good week for all.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, I am starting to feel quite a bit better now the treatment is kicking in. I do have a sort of lethargy leaving me feeling like I cant be bothered to do much. I have managed to have a couple of swims over the past week but no longer feel I have to swim every day or feel guilty about not getting in.

I am trying to have a much more relaxed attitude to the weight loss side of the plan and although I have already lost 1,5 kgs since last Tuesday it has really been just me sticking with v.l.c. and making much better food choices that we could when we were away. I am not setting any goals and will just see how it goes. My plan is to stay on the diet (weight loss) throughout the week and have a day off on a Saturday, guiltfree. Having said that, we are going out next Monday – what is the point of being slim and healthy if I just stay in the house and make excuses not to go anywhere.

So quite a change for me. Lets see how I go with getting serious about being guilt free but KOKO 95% of the time.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi I’m back into the groove so will join everyone ‘getting serious’.
    S-g I’m so pleased your feeling better but even more pleased that you’ve decided to relax a bit and enjoy life.
    I was watching a YouTube video with Sam Feltham yesterday. He tried three different ‘diets’ over eating on each by around 47,000 calories over a three week period. Low carb, ‘fake’ food ( junk food) and vegan. His aim was to disprove the calories in- out theory and the number of calories required to lose/gain a pound, I think. Theoretically he should have gained a similar amount on each ‘diet’. I can’t remember the exact amounts but he gained the very least on low carb, around 1.5kg I think, but lost 3cm from his waist despite the weight gain. The other two ‘diets’ saw him gain around 5+kg. I’m sure there have been other similar experiments but I think we can take away from them that we can be low carb without deprivation, and still keep weight in check.
    While I was away I was eating three meals a day. I had bread most days but with cheese or olive oil. I had quite a few desserts, some ice cream, even a slice of pizza and a penne puttanesca, my very most favourite pasta dish pre low carb. Admittedly I didn’t have huge portions and I didn’t eat potatoes or rice. I also didn’t snack. So in nearly four weeks I gained just 4lbs, now down to 2. I had expected a much larger gain.
    I’ve been reading quite a bit lately about eating carbs with fats which apparently curtails the ‘sugar hit’ from the carbs. Anyway, given my experience I’m believing that low carb eating, without ‘no carb’ deprivation, for me, is still a healthy way to eat.
    Nonetheless, I’d like to lose some weight too. It’s back to TRE for me but I will eat breakfast when I’m hungry.
    Hope September sees us all reaching our goals..

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone . Thanks Sunny for setting up the new thread xx

Phew it has been a very busy summer with lots of wonderful family moments and lots of indulgence but it’s time to get back on track big time now all our guests have left . It feels an exceptional year after so many travel restrictions and it was good to reconnect with family and friends.

I sort of feel how I did when I first began BSD but knowing a lot more ! I recognise I have to be STRICT as I start back because I sense the dangers now and the temptations which were not resisted . That’s life, it was a special time but it has to be reined in now.
    So I have to harness my inner SG who is so disciplined and committed ! Seriously SG, I am glad you are feeling better and have found an approach which works for you right now. I definitely think guilt free is the way to go . I don’t think we should feel we are ‘bad’ for indulging .I don’t do self recrimination. I am being sensible….but focused !
    I am beginning my September reset with a fast which I haven’t done for what… over 2 months .I am actually looking forward to recognising hunger signals again . As I have said before, September is always a time of renewal, a fresh start for me even though I no longer have to think about school and work .

It’s still hot here .We had a smattering of rain yesterday after high winds but everywhere is still so dry . Hubby is preparing for his knee op next week and I am likely to be on my own for 3 weeks if he is admitted to the physio centre . That’s a target … to take me to the end of the month.

Good to see you with us Verano and I am glad you had a lovely time away .Yes, I was eating 3 meals a day at times too, previously unheard of for me . Well done on a very modest gain which you are already addressing .

I hope we get some returners .I will begin a new list when I see who is posting .
    It’s Windy Julz’s birthday today .Come on Julz… let us know how you are !
    Lauren, I will seek you out ! Clare, are you ok ? Glad you a had a good holiday in Scotland.

Hi HopefulinOz ! Looking forward to hearing how you are doing xx Hi RubyG ! Hi Elle-Mae ! You are right, it’s about a balancing act for sure !
    I am going to get ready for aquagym now.At least I kept moving this summer 😉

Back to normal now, I will be checking in regularly, promise !

Wendy xx

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

Hi everyone 😊. Great to hear how everyone is going. S-G, Verano, Wendy – it sounds like you have all had a lovely summer and have found what works for you all. Such positivity – I love it.
    “Serious in September” is very much where I need to be. Verano – I agree with you, I am not going to “do” self recrimination. Just facts – after a very unrestrained period of time (I always was an emotional eater), I am about 5kg heavier than my comfortable point. However, I also had my first serious day yesterday and it went very smoothly. So September will definitely be the month of ‘onwards and downwards’ for me. We have a wedding to go to in October to celebrate the marriage of two very special friends in our life, and I have a beautiful dress to wear, so I am determined to fit into it!!!!
    S-G – I am so happy to hear that things aren’t as medically serious as you feared. Your sentence “what is the point of being slim and healthy if I just stay in the house and make excuses not to go anywhere?” rang so very true. Life is for living, let’s make the most of every day xxxxxx

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi All,
    Good to hear everyone’s news….I am back on the WOE since yesterday after an incredible amount of long weekend indulgence….so let’s see if I can lick myself into shape…..I have just under 1 stone to lose to be back to goal
    ……oops

Love to all,
    Tulip xxx

• posted by RubyG
    on

Serious in September – that’s what I need! Some serious reflection going on here too about life, the universe and everything.
    I went shopping after work yesterday evening, and the carb cravings were massive, but somehow I managed to not buy any carbage, by some miracle.
    Last long weekend away for the summer, starting tomorrow, food choices will be lower carb than the standard UK diet, but higher than our normal WOE, and then I do need to get Serious in September.
    My poor chimp is overwhelmed with uncertainty at the moment, with work issues, possible relocation issues, big financial decisions to be made (pensions) in the middle of an inflationary environment, so putting one foot in front of another is challenging some days.
    I think I’m rational enough to understand that letting my diet get out of control will only make matters worse, so if I can keep on a steady-ish path with half-decent food choices I’ll be satisfied.
    Keeping on keeping on as SG would say 🙂

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi all. I love the title, and I am definitely up for getting serious. Wishing us all renewed resolve for this month and the rest of the Autumn.

on

Hi all, great to see a good amount of comments. Looks like people are returning from holidays feeling ready to get motivated. Shout out to, as usual, Verano. Also to Hopefulinoz – I always know you are there as you post just as I am going to bed. RubyG and Tulip, great to have you back.

When I said about being slim and healthy and not living life to the full, didnt mean I am either slim or healthy, just that the end goal is not the be all and life goes on in between what we are striving for and getting there. On that note, I was really pulled up this morning. Received a copy of the lung doctors report which will also be going to my doctor. It said, besides the diabetes, hypertension etc, the asthma is exacerbated by my OBESITY. Not a shock as I know I am technically (no, still don’t want to admit it) in that I am about 2 points into the obese range or about 3.5kgs loss would put me into overweight. I guess that gives me something to aim for as my next goal. Not to be obese.

This is going to be part of the conversation with my doctor about using insulin as I was only about 9st 3lbs when he started me on it and in 6 months I gained 15kgs. So beware if your doctor is talking about putting you on insulin.

Everything else is okay and the treatment is starting to give me improvements. I never want to feel that old and knackered again until I am at least 90 🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

It’s so good to see so many familiar names again, welcome back everyone. There seems to be real determination here to make a fresh start in September, so happily the weekly thread has become relevant again. Please keep us posted on progress … you all know the drill.

Finished my fast this evening with salmon, a few prawns and a small courgette, butterbean and fennel salad. Back to strict 800/20 for the rest of the week, in the hope of maybe getting to target by Monday.

How is your week going?

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

How is everyone? I’m off to a good start here with ‘Getting serious in September’ (I started a few days earlier). My body seems very well adjusted to this WoE, and is rewarding me slowly but steadily on the scales and with consistent energy. As always. ‘sticking to it’ has to be the key for me….for it is where I falter. We are hosting Father’s Day brunch at our home this weekend, so temptation will be right in front of me in the form of croissants and other bits and pieces, but I am feeling determined!
    I hope you are all enjoying either the end of the warmer weather, or the sunshine emerging based on where you are in the world xx

on

Hi everyone, I can report that I am almost feeling my normal energetic self so the medication is working. Not sleeping very well due to a feminine infection causing discomfort.

Talking about energy, told hubby I was going for a swim before lunch. He moaned that we would be eating late and couldnt I wait until later. Took no notice and had half an hour in the pool. Sat outside eating late lunch in beautiful sunshine, not too hot – around 26 degrees, when suddenly the sky went black and the heavens opened up. So glad I went for my swim.

Still taking it steady although I did a calorie count on MyFitness….. and I am still around 900 cals and 50g carbs. I am also doing TRE as I have got used to not eating after 8pm and I dont get up until around 9.30 – lazy I know – so can wait another hour and do 14 hour fast. My goal right now is to lose 3.5kgs in 3.5 months to Christmas to take me out of the obese category. I think that is do-able at a steady pace.

Enjoy the weekend everyone.

• posted by florob85
    on

Hey everyone,

Firstly I just want to say thank you to everyone that’s been checking in with me, I really appreciate it.

Sunshine girl I’m really pleased you are starting to feel better, that must be such a weight off your mind, you’ve been in my thoughts xx

I’ve had a very very difficult few weeks emotionally, physically, I won’t go into details but it’s been really rough. I’ve decided to just go back to basic principles with the original BSD – I’m not going to worry about macros or things like pulses or berries or things, I’m going to just try to stick to 800 and below 50 carbs, I’ve exhausted myself utterly being so obsessed the last few months and frankly it’s not working anyway and my body just feels completely screwed up, so I thought let’s go back to basics for a while and just reset. I’m used to TRE so I’ll just continue with that and as I say I’m not going to worry about oats or whatever – I did this original way of eating a few years back and lost a few stone, so there’s no reason why it shouldn’t work this time, I don’t know where I got so lost in macros and figures and balancing protein and fibre and all that. I just need to find my willpower and find my mojo again

Hope all are ok x
    Lauren xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone .
    Well my week is mostly going well .I began with a fast on Tuesday and on Thursday as I thought I would try an ADF (alternate day fast) protocol . It was actually pretty easy on the fast days but surprisingly I felt headachy on the eating days ( Wednesday and Friday ) I felt a bit rough this morning and I have since had the opposite of constipation ! Weird for me and maybe just a consequence of my system adjusting to low carb again ? Maybe my gut biome is trying to cope with fermented veg rather than baguettes ? I will carry on anyway and see how I get on .I am determined to get back on track with this reset . I’m not feeling very energetic yet !

Hubby has his op on Tuesday morning and then he goes to a physiotherapy centre … for a 3 week stretch.

Glad you are feeling more normal, SG and hope the infection gets sorted . We still haven’t had much rain here .
    Obese is such a loaded word isn’t it ? If I remember rightly those tables showed my weight for my height 5 ft 4 to be 8 and a half stone .That’s not going to happen. Don’t take it to heart SG but yes, I understand that being ‘overweight’ sounds less emotive. You have done brilliantly, discarding the weight and managing your insulin at the same time .I like that you are being less anxious about it and allowing a bit more slack.

Yes , it’s good to see you all checking in and harnessing the September motivation with various targets . I think we agree we have done well, not perfect but we are still here and doing our best . Good to see you back with us caronl ! Tulip, I understand about indulgence .Mine lasted longer than a weekend though !

Crikey RubyG , you have got a lot on your plate but as you say adding poor food choices would make for a messy cocktail.I hope you manage to work through all those life decisions.

We haven’t really got any plans for more travel. Can’t even think ahead to Christmas as yet .Need to get hubby walking without pain .

Do your best to resist the carbage this weekend, HopefulinOz but just put it behind you if you indulge a bit on a special occasion.
    Looking forward to hearing how everyone is doing xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

We’re here, Lauren. We will help you find your willpower and mojo. Yes, when we get obsessed the stress just builds up and you don’t need that. You are trying to resolve so many issues which puts constant pressure on you so just do your best on basic BSD so you can start to feel better . Sending massive hugs and loads of love to you xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Lauren
    I read your post and ‘feel’ for you. Sometimes we get so bogged down with the minutia that we forget the core principles. We know ‘low carb’ works so why do we stress ourselves out by trying to lose that extra few grams by ‘tweaking’
    We have to ‘live’.
    Being a few pounds less will really make no difference to our lives. I have a good amount of weight to lose but at the moment it doesn’t affect my health. I may be wrong but I feel that weight , as in a number, is really stressing you out. It could also be that what you see in the mirror doesn’t make you happy?
    There is no quick fix. (Sorry sure you know that). Maybe you should just sit down, isolate your weight from your other issues and work out a list of priorities. Sometimes we become so bogged down with ‘issues’ we can’t see the wood for the trees!
    Sorry if I’ve spoken out of turn. I only wish you well

• posted by florob85
    on

Thanks Verano, no offence taken genuinely! I completely get where you’re coming from, and I do need to stop obsessing over all the numbers but unfortunately the weight (and consequential BMI) seems to be the sticking point for my current fertility problems so unfortunately, much as I’d love to, I don’t think I can quite let go of that number just yet, but the others, yep I can do that.

L x

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Hello!

Just a quick check in from me (I’ll join in the next weekly thread properly).
    Been a busy 3 months for me, new job which has me on the road quite a lot. Its been great but taken a while to know expectations and find a way to fit proper eating around it…..felt i needed time to settle. I’m there now, and I’ve got over the indulgent birthday times (cant believe you remember these things Wendy!)
    Consistency is the challenge but also the key…… so that will be my focus for the rest of September…..

Lauren, I feel for you too. Sounds like you are putting a lot of pressure yourself and that will make things extra challenging. Have you read about stress, hormones and the effect on weighloss? Its obvio9usly no use telling you to stress less…..if only thats how it worked eh!! But agree with Verano that you need to take a minute to step back a little. Your right not driving yourself into the detail of macros – basics are good. Also take a moment to look at other aspects – you are a wonderful and lovely person, no matter your weight or BMI. Being lighter or slimmer wont make you a better human, we love you just as you are. Its for your health, and you know the hows and whys….. trust yourself and go find your rhythm on the basic principles (oats, berries, pulses – certainly dont beat yourself up for that!) You got this and we are here to support that.

Wendy re the ADF – i had similar experience – felt great fasting but so lethargic the following days, so i packed it it, like a 24hr fast and if I’m going to do longer i know i cant run the next day. I think toilet issues are quite common when you refeed after a 36+ hour fast….. various things you can do to help – gradually introducing food (bone broth first, then some avocado, then proper meal a few hours later.) I’m sure you know most of this but i can relate to what you are saying.

Anyhoo….. consistency has to be coming for me! I’ll catch you all in the next thread….

on

Hi everyone, special call out to Lauren and PCOS awareness week. You are supported here.

Well I tried going the relaxed way of dieting and giving myself a day off on Saturdays but quite honestly it hasn’t worked out as I have gained around half a kilo in the last week. Just one day of allowing myself a couple of glasses of wine. We are going out tonight and there is a meal involved and there will be wine. So tomorrow I will be back on my strict regime which obviously suits me. Maybe a day off every month rather than every week.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone .
    SG , I know the scales are important to you but I doubt you have gained a half kilo of body fat . Do you remember JGwen saying how many excess calories you would have to consume in order to gain a pound ?About 3,000 calories a day was it or have I got that wrong ? Anyway you haven’t been chomping buns or cream teas (like me !) so don’t panic . Without regular, massive over eating I am sure it would all balance out over a month .
    Do what feels best for you obviously .
    I understand about being focused though because that’s the way I have to be right now .I can’t allow any deviations when there is a target and complacency is my enemy .
    We have booked to go to the UK in December, returning on Boxing Day as hubby has knee replacement no.2 to in January and we have to get ready. Christmas gives me a manageable target too .

Welcome back Windy Julz ! I have a Country File calendar full of all sorts of useless information but it’s the first thing I look at in the morning so I don’t forget special events !

My ADF routine has been ok so far but this will be my first full week so I will let you know how I get on. I did have a few dodgy side effects initially but they have disappeared, thankfully !

I am going to set up the new thread now .I know it’s early but have to check hubby’s meds and stuff ready for his op in the morning .

• posted by Verano
    on

Wendy wishing your hubby the very best for tomorrow. As an ‘experienced’ hip surgery person, had both primary +, they so very, very rarely aren’t successful. He won’t know himself when he’s mobile again and most importantly out of pain. We get so used to being in pain we forget what ‘pain free’ really feels like. Hope all goes well. I’m sure it will.
    My week has been a bit ‘relaxed’. No great harm done but if I want to lose weight then I have to be a little, no, a lot, more vigilant.
    S-g we are all so different. When I was ‘young’ being very careful during the week but ‘enjoying’ the weekend worked to keep me on an even keel. Now …. WOW …. things are so different. I can keep my weight stable and my BS if I just stay away from potatoes, rice and pasta with just the occasional couple of slices of low carb bread. If I want to lose weight, and I do, I need to ‘weigh’ every morsel and stay lower than 1100 calories. Not easy.
    Anyway, we are only just starting week 2 of September and we still have 25 days to go. We can each make a difference!

Please log in or register to post a reply.