Genetically unable to burn fat?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by outrunner2k7
    on

Hi All

I’m hoping someone here will be able to help with this curious question…

I’ve been doing really well on this (just hit the 2 stone mark) and I have a friend who is Type 2 and on statins but has been told that he is genetically unable to burn fat. Is that an actual thing or does he not have a well informed or open minded GP?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks

• posted by lauren
    on

Firstly congratulations on your 2 stone loss that’s a great achievement ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Yes there is such a thing as a fatty-acid metabolism disorder, I think usually because these patients lack one of the enzymes needs to break down fats – so fats can’t be used as fuel by these people and instead they have to rely solely on glucose. So sadly this may not be good for your friend.

• posted by outrunner2k7
    on

Hi Lauren

Thanks for the congrats and the useful info, very interesting. I’ll stop working on him to try this then ๐Ÿ™

Thanks again ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by lauren
    on

Maybe you could encourage him to get a referral from his GP to an NHS nutritionist/dietician? I’m sure there must be ways that he could modify his eating that would aid with th diabetes/weight loss and still comply with the specific condition he has – essentially a highly personalised version of the BSD!

• posted by outrunner2k7
    on

I’ll try Lauren but methinks he’s resigned to the fact of his condition now sadly. He did say recently that they had reduced his statins and he’s lost a little weight so hopefully it will work for him long term.

Thanks again for the info ๐Ÿ˜€

Please log in or register to post a reply.