Future Learning Course

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I have just started my first course, on Brain and Behaviour – Regulating body weight, since it seemed pertinent to my current experimental phase of my maintenance. Quite interesting so far even if I haven’t really learnt anything new yet. I will let you know how it goes.

• posted by Verano
    on

That sounds interesting MnM. I have just finished the Liver Disease course which was very informative although at the end of the day a healthy liver needs the correct sort of nutrition, not a lot new there then!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I am doing a course called living well with diabetes and expecting it to advise me how to live well. The course is all about chronic illness as a social construct so quite heavy going, but it does encourage us to explore our own feelings about diagnosis, coping with everyday life and the language people use to describe us including medical people. Interesting but not really helpful.

• posted by Verano
    on

Don’t know how you are getting on with your course sunshine-girl but there is yet another one! Starting February 19th next Monday just two weeks “Demistifying Diabetes”. This course says it brings us the latest ‘research’. We will see

• posted by Verano
    on

Don’t know how you are getting on with your course sunshine-girl but there is yet another one! Starting February 19th next Monday just two weeks “Demistifying Diabetes”. This course says it brings us the latest ‘research’. We will see!

• posted by Verano
    on

Sorry about the double post!

on

Hi V I have signed up for the demistifying diabetes. I did the living well with diabetes and was not very happy with it. It was more about how it feels to have a chronic illness, how society sees you, how medical staff talk to you. One thing was we were encouraged to discuss things and I recommended low carbs to several people and also plugged the work of Prof Taylor – I thought it better to stick to the real science – but also a mention of DrM. There were some funny comments. In one session we were given some things to tell a newly diagnosed T2 and they included ‘you will have to change your diet and probably include exercise in your life’ How to say that without being patronising. One chap came up with ‘you are carrying a wee bit of weight lovey and you could do with having a few good walks’, Hope he wasn’t a doctor.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi s-g glad you’ve signed up too it’s always good to get other opinions. Good for you for passing on the ‘knowledge’ the more people who become aware the better informed people will become in general about T2.

My OH has been very loosely following a low carb diet for the last three months and has just had his HbA1c done so it will be interesting to see the results tomorrow. He doesn’t weigh himself but his clothes are less ‘snug’. Basically he has eaten no bread, potatoes, or pasta. No sweets but nuts and two pieces of fruit a day. He has had rice maybe once every 10 days or so. Most people who lowered their BG have done so by strictly sticking to 800 / 20 or 30. So it will be interesting to see if he has managed to control his blood sugar with his version of the diet.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi s-g have you started the diabetes course yet? It’s really disappointing and I’m not sure there is much new for us to learn. Also doesn’t look as though they are going to look at the latest research and LC/HF. Never mind we will just have to keep ‘banging the drum’!

on

Yes V and I agree. It seems they want to give us a very limited amount of information and get us to do the work for them on the message boards. I was disappointed to see that a lot of people associate T2 with being fat and lazy, I had a bit of a chat with a medic and hopefully gave her something to think about. I have nearly finished week one as it is so simplistic but at least I will have plenty of time for my French.

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g I won’t be holding my breath for anything better. I will go back and just look at the comments again to see if there are many more ‘low carbers’ participating.

on

At least we can whizz through it and get on with better things to do with our lives.

• posted by Verano
    on

YES!!!!

• posted by Verano
    on

There is a new course that may be of interest to some…..
    Food for thought:the relationship between food, gut and brain.
    This is a five week course, aimed at anyone and is one of their few free courses.
    Might be interesting.

Please log in or register to post a reply.