Fruit

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ruby09dogs
    on

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I’ve been doing BSD for 3 weeks and have lost 14lbs so far, however I am really missing fruit and seem to be getting a lot of mouth ulcers – any advice would be good.

• posted by KelsBells
    on

I grow my own apples. They’re really ugly with spots and lumps and some of them are full of grubs – BUT i cut up the grub-free ones, skin, core and everything, stew them in water, and i have them with my “no carb bircher” from the BSD book for breakfast. Good fibre content, and I’ve been told they dont have much sugar so are one of the better fruit to eat. Maybe try that? Add some blueberries too?
    It’s hot summer where I live and I’m cutting up big hunks of fresh watermelon for other people to enjoy – how I would love to scoff down some of that!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Are you counting carbs, Kelsbells? Apples are surprisingly high
    in carbs, at 16-18, better than any of the tropical fruits, i.e.
    bananas or pineapple, but something to be aware of none the
    less. A small serving of raspberries would be much better.
    They are high in fiber as well. Some of us who have gone
    strict BSD have needed to leave the fruit behind until we are
    approaching target weight.
    Wishing you great success!

Allie

• posted by Gattina
    on

I have a portion of berries most days – I use frozen berries for convenience and allow myself a small portion with yogurt. 80 grams has 6g of carbs and 60 grams has 4g of carbs – 3g of carbs in the yogurt brings to the total to 7-9g of carbs. Varying the quantity allows me to have a little bit of what I fancy and it hits the spot when I’m craving something sweet.

• posted by ruby09dogs
    on

Ok thanks definitely some good ideas. I’m doing this purely to lose weight I’ve not got blood sugar issues.

• posted by Izzy
    on

I use frozen berries with yoghurt as well, definitely lower in carbs than other fruits. I also ocassionally commit the sin of blending half a banana with some almond milk and yoghurt for a breakfast shake. Now obviously half a banana isn’t officially BSD friendly but it’s better than a whole one, or two lol. I’m happy to accept my losses will be slower if I’m not entirely strict.

I think the secret with fruit is to stick to the lower carb ones and keep your portions small. Very small! It’s worth noting that pretty much every nutrient available in fruit is also available in veg, so if you’re eating a good amount and range of veg then it probably isn’t the lack of fruit that is causing your ulcers.

I’d suggest having a look at what you are eating generally and ensure you’re having a good variety of nutrients, then perhaps a multivitamin might help you along a bit. It’s also worth considering that the mouth ulcers may be co-incidental and nothing to do with what you have or haven;t eaten.

• posted by ruby09dogs
    on

I think I definitely need to vary my veg a bit more. Ive taken some blueberries & raspberries out of the freezer gonna have them with Greek yoghurt for breakfast.

• posted by Squidge
    on

All the nutrients in fruit are also in vegetables, so if you’re eating plenty of veg then the mouth ulcers aren’t caused by your lack of fruit.

I can understand you missing it though. Pears and stawberries are allowed on the diet as well as the fruits mentioned above. Not too much though as we’re supposed to keep even natural sugar to a minimum, even if not diabetic.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I’ve been getting mouth ulcers too, I’ve just started increasing fruit and veges a bit so I’ll let you know if that helps! I have no problem with cutting out bread/pasta etc but I do worry about getting enough vitamins from a wide variety of fruit and veges all the colours of the rainbow.

Please log in or register to post a reply.