Freekeh

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ruthleonie
    on

Is the grain Freekeh allowed? It’s wheat that has been harvested while still green and smoked.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi, I too wondered about this. I recently bought a packet of Artisan grains greenwheat Freekeh – the info on the pack proclaims that it is Low GI & high in protein. The figures quoted are (per 100g):

347 kcals / 1471 kJ
    Protein 18.5g
    Fat 4.3g
    of which Saturates 0.8g
    Carbs 63.5g
    of which Sugars 2.9g
    Salt 0g
    Fibre 10.9g

It quotes a GI figure of 43.
    It seems that 50g is a single serving. I suppose it depends how much you are restricting carbs – one serving will be slightly over 30g carbs which might be over the limit for some. Probably best to avoid in early stages of diet – maybe have very occasionally, just for variety to introduce something different (which was my reason for trying it). (I should point out that I’ve been BSD-ing since January, and I am neither T2D nor pre-diabetic.)

I can’t warm to the idea of cauliflower rice, I like my cauli to be cauli-shaped! I normally just steam a few florets. I tried freekeh as it has a similar texture to rice but it’s not something I would eat regularly, no more interesting than ordinary rice, so once the pack is used up I probably won’t try again.

Please log in or register to post a reply.